Currently, the only way I see to alter email font size is to manually change it by tapping on "format" to bring up the format bar each and every distinct time I type an email. I find the font to be way too small for easy reading (both for myself as I type and for others when the email is received). I want the recipients of my emails to have an easy time reading my communications, so that they actually GET READ in their entirety. Is there a way to permanently change the font size so that this new setting is the default? Altering the font size every time I compose an email is annoying in the extreme.

Also is there a way to change the actual font itself? I think that the default font is ugly and not pleasing to the eye at all.

Generally, how is it that a device that is supposed to be ultra sensitive to the needs of the "power" user (i.e. for work) so tone deaf to this stuff? The developers are so busy creating peripheral bells and whistles that it seems like they are too overloaded to remember to include basic options.

This is not just about personal, stylistic preference. This is about a real strategic work issue, i.e. doing everything in my power to ensure that every word of my work emails are read by their recipients.
    08-30-15 09:34 AM
    Again; working as intended, not a bug. I'll agree there should be a default setting we can change, but there currently isn't.

Do you realize this is a BlackBerry fan forum and not a bug tracker?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 02:15 PM
    Again; working as intended, not a bug. I'll agree there should be a default setting we can change, but there currently isn't.

Posted via CB10
    Apparently this forum is anything the poster wants it to be, Androind, ios, Windows phone, and BlackBerry.
    This is such a place to post bugs or wish lists. I do know of one that is strictly for Blackberry fans and bashing of this forum, and other smartphones not BlackBerry.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    08-30-15 02:48 PM
    Settings>Display>Font Size

Increase to:

10, 11, 12 + or whatever suits you.

Final step, stop complaining.

 Q10SQN100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-30-15 05:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    ZeroBarrier:

First, how exactly do you know that it is "working as intended?" Were you part of the development team? Are you a consultant for them? Do you have any sort of direct line of communication with them?

Second, your statement is self-contradictory. You contend that this is not a bug, but then go on to agree that the user should be able to change email font size and style as an overarching setting. According to dictionary.com, the definition of "bug" is "a defect or imperfection." And, according to dictionary.com, the definition of "defect" is "shortcoming." Therefore, if my issue/suggestion should, by right, be included in the OS and it's not, then this is synonymous with saying that there is an defect and/or imperfection and/or shortcoming with the OS.

Third, Crackberry forums are littered with threads about problems with the various devices and OS. The forums are about all issues related to Blackberry, good and bad and indifferent, not exclusively about unadulterated praise for Blackberry.
    08-30-15 11:08 PM
    Settings>Display>Font Size

Increase to:

10, 11, 12 + or whatever suits you.

Final step, stop complaining.

Your "solution" doesnt solve the problem. The "Settings>Display>Font Size" pathway has no bearing on the font size in which the email gets typed. It will make it easier for me to see what I type, but it doesnt alter the underlying font size for the recipient, which is the main problem.
    Final step, stop talking down to other posters and stop dispensing information that is incorrect.
    08-30-15 11:21 PM
    When you edit an E-Mail, you can tap on the 'Aa' button and modify the size of the font, it color, Bold, Italic... you have to tap the icon left to the pin first, to get the right bar.
    Here's a screenshot:

Bug Report: Can't permanently change email font size-img_20150831_061258.png

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    08-31-15 12:17 AM
    When you edit an E-Mail, you can tap on the 'Aa' button and modify the size of the font, it color, Bold, Italic... you have to tap the icon left to the pin first, to get the right bar.
    Here's a screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150831_061258.png 
Views:	475 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	369081

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    Thanks, but I already acknowledged this in the very first line of my original posting where I wrote "Currently, the only way I see to alter email font size is to manually change it by tapping on "format" to bring up the format bar" However, this doesnt solve my problem which, as I also wrote in the very first line of my original posting, is that I must do this "each and every distinct time I type an email."

As I wrote in my original posting, I want "to permanently change the font size so that this new setting is the default." "Altering the font size every time I compose an email is annoying in the extreme."
    08-31-15 12:25 AM
    It is like it is designed. There is no setting to change the font size per default. Is it possible on iOS or Android? I don't know. Perhaps on Android with a special mail app.

For me, personally, it is not important :-)

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 12:32 AM
    It will make it easier for me to see what I type, but it doesnt alter the underlying font size for the recipient, which is the main problem.
    Personally I like to send exclusively plain text only messages - a default to that would be great for me. But we can't have everything.

Just because you format an HTML email to look nice on your screen doesn't mean that it will look good on the recipient's - are they viewing on a PC, tablet, phone, smart watch ... ? Display capabilities, defaults, and font availability vary.

As mentioned, if the system font is too small for you when typing - make it bigger. If your recipient finds your email too small - they should just zoom in. I'm sure that capability is not just limited to BlackBerry devices.
    08-31-15 08:53 AM
    Hardly a bug.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 09:19 AM
    Hardly a bug.

Posted via CB10
    Is it really your contention that its ok for the developers of an operating system to design things in the dumbest way possible? If yes, then youre correct its "hardly a bug."

However, even the developers themselves acknowledge that the user might want to change font size because they included a way to do so by enabling the format bar during email composition. But someone who wants to use different font size will more likely than not want to use it over and over again. Most people who adhere to standard rules of writing (and certainly business professionals which are Blackberry's core customers) do not interchange font sizes mid-email, even to emphasize a word. People use bold and italics for that. So if someone chooses to use a different font size, it is likely that s/he intends to compose the entire email in that font. If someone composes an entire email is a different font size, this choise has nothing to do with emphasis, it likely has to do with ease of reading. There are really no other likely explanations. And if s/he intends to compose the entire email in a certain font size for ease of reading, s/he probably intends to compose all ensuing emails in that font size too. This is indeed a "bug" because its an "imperfection" or "shortcoming" in the OS as the execution of this functionality was very poorly thought through.
    08-31-15 10:03 AM
    I provided a solution to one of your whining crybaby issues.

The rest are as was told to you: not a bug.

Find your consolation with other platforms i.e. Apple iOS or Android.

Report back if they did solve your whinning.

08-31-15 10:12 AM
    Is it really your contention that its ok for the developers of an operating system to design things in the dumbest way possible? If yes, then youre correct its "hardly a bug."

However, even the developers themselves acknowledge that the user might want to change font size because they included a way to do so by enabling the format bar during email composition. But someone who wants to use different font size will more likely than not want to use it over and over again. Most people who adhere to standard rules of writing (and certainly business professionals which are Blackberry's core customers) do not interchange font sizes mid-email, even to emphasize a word. People use bold and italics for that. So if someone chooses to use a different font size, it is likely that s/he intends to compose the entire email in that font. If someone composes an entire email is a different font size, this choise has nothing to do with emphasis, it likely has to do with ease of reading. There are really no other likely explanations. And if s/he intends to compose the entire email in a certain font size for ease of reading, s/he probably intends to compose all ensuing emails in that font size too. This is indeed a "bug" because its an "imperfection" or "shortcoming" in the OS as the execution of this functionality was very poorly thought through.
    This was one of the first things I struggled with when OS 10 first came out. I hated that you had to go into format every time to change the font size. Didn't make a bit of sense to me that you couldn't save it for future emails. Its really surprising that after all the updates over the years it's still the same way.

I think the posters are getting on you because of your use of the term "bug". For most a bug is something is performing differently than the way it was intended. That wouldn't be the case with the email font.

In any event I fully support your frustration and just had to learn to deal with it. Someone asked if that is different on Android. It is.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by HowardShap; 08-31-15 at 12:32 PM.
    08-31-15 11:25 AM
    I agree that it would be nice to change the default. I myself loathe the navy colour it defaults to; at least default to black!

That said, we need to keep in mind that on iOS you can't even change the email font at all (default or ad hoc). Not sure about Android. Legacy BBOS didn't have rich text formatting either.

Theory: maybe they intentionally left out a setting for default font to try and get away from people increasing font size simply because they can't see their device, only to have the recipients back up 6 feet from their computer screen because the font is too big. I'm still lost as to how increasing the zoom on the device won't help the OP, but to each their own.
    08-31-15 12:34 PM