So what does BlackBerry bring to the dumbphone market?
    Nostalgia and a keyboard. What on earth does anyone want with a 5310 nowadays anyways? But apparently a market exists.
    I would wager a good ol' Bold 9900 with just an updated browser is going to be way more useful ('smart') than any of those Nokia re-makes

I'm not claiming there is a market for these, I have no industry knowledge. But unless Nokia is in the money laundering business, clearly they think there is since they've been at this retro-phone game for a couple of years already.!
    05-31-20 03:24 PM
    Nostalgia and a keyboard. What on earth does anyone want with a 5310 nowadays anyways? But apparently a market exists.
    I would wager a good ol' Bold 9900 with just an updated browser is going to be way more useful ('smart') than any of those Nokia re-makes

I'm not claiming there is a market for these, I have no industry knowledge. But unless Nokia is in the money laundering business, clearly they think there is since they've been at this retro-phone game for a couple of years already.!
    Some people want dumbphones, sure. But they clearly don't want full qwerty keyboards - particularly on teeny tiny devices. That's an awful lot of lost screen space and dedicated hardware just for SMS.
    Last edited by conite; 05-31-20 at 03:51 PM.
    05-31-20 03:27 PM
    I really want to see a native, solid browser for BlackBerry 10
    05-31-20 03:42 PM
    Join the ever-diminishing club!
    05-31-20 04:03 PM

The key is it's only $50.... and there is a VERY CLEAR market for cheap basic phones.

BlackBerry was always in the smartphone business.... but maybe a Bold 9900 could find a niche, if it could be built and sold for $50 as well. But the market for $400 - $500 phone that are somewhere between a basic phone and a smartphone? Not sure that market exists.

At this point... BlackBerry has moved on - better to be done, than take anymore risks with what little cash they have left.

And they "brand" is too tied to security, to allow anyone to use the name.... without some kind of "costly" security. So never going to see a $50 or $150 "new" BlackBerry.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-01-20 07:41 AM
    What about it's compliance with accessibility standards. Both sofware of the browsers screen reader and the really annoying OS one should be able to communicate state with an xml layer.
    06-01-20 02:33 PM
    What about it's compliance with accessibility standards. Both sofware of the browsers screen reader and the really annoying OS one should be able to communicate state with an xml layer.
    I think polymer had the right idea with native template. Anyway Im not arguing that every company stop progressing faster than the need for software optimization, just that if its a problem they become clear on what is about a new method or syntax that wont blend with theirs and remember their standards and practices.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-20 03:28 PM
    And Microsoft Teams client and will be great
    06-02-20 03:02 AM
    And Microsoft Teams client and will be great
    I believe that not even the Passport has enough specs to run an Electron app
    06-02-20 08:47 AM
    Managed to do some more tinkering this weekend and...QtWebKit 5.6 with WebKit2 now works on BB. Turns out CoreIPC fails to send all of the messages in queue and continues nonetheless. This results in CreateWebPage never being called along with several others. The bug is in ConnectionUnix sendOutgoingMessage, the call to sendmsg starts returning errno ENOBUFS about half way through the queue. While its not a solution I add a small delay and it can now load pages. Here's a screenshot from my BB of WebKit2 up and running. Breathing new life into BB10...-img_20200609_091949.jpg
    06-09-20 08:25 AM
    Managed to do some more tinkering this weekend and...QtWebKit 5.6 with WebKit2 now works on BB. Turns out CoreIPC fails to send all of the messages in queue and continues nonetheless. This results in CreateWebPage never being called along with several others. The bug is in ConnectionUnix sendOutgoingMessage, the call to sendmsg starts returning errno ENOBUFS about half way through the queue. While its not a solution I add a small delay and it can now load pages. Here's a screenshot from my BB of WebKit2 up and running. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200609_091949.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	448708
    Very cool. Would you mind sharing a link to repo?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-20 02:20 PM
    Managed to do some more tinkering this weekend and...QtWebKit 5.6 with WebKit2 now works on BB. Turns out CoreIPC fails to send all of the messages in queue and continues nonetheless. This results in CreateWebPage never being called along with several others. The bug is in ConnectionUnix sendOutgoingMessage, the call to sendmsg starts returning errno ENOBUFS about half way through the queue. While its not a solution I add a small delay and it can now load pages. Here's a screenshot from my BB of WebKit2 up and running. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200609_091949.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	448708
    This is AWESOME news! great job!
    06-09-20 02:45 PM
    Excellent catch, and good news! Browsing experience should improve to 2016 levels with this. I hope you link the repo so we can all clone it.

So where do you guys go from here? I forget when Qt depreciated Webkit2. Do you port Qt 5.12 to BlackBerry, or do you backport something like the community maintained Qt5 Webkit2 to BlackBerry Qt5. 6?

Either way, exciting news, should extend the life of the device a few more years once yall wrap everything into a browser program.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-20 02:58 PM
    Here's a quick fork with the changes needed since my local source tree is a mess https://github.com/sgear256/qtwebkit/tree/5.6-bb
    QtWebKit 5.6 is not that useful in and of itself but the hope is that something like QtWebKit 5.212, which to my understanding has a lot of new WebKit functionality backported, can now be ported over easily. I'm not sure a newer version of Qt altogether would be beneficial also not sure that qcc 4.8.3 can compile newer versions of Qt as they rely on C++11 features that it might not support. Hopefully Qt 5.6 will suffice for now. I plan on looking into it further at some point but alas am pressed for time :\
    moosbb likes this.
    06-09-20 03:27 PM
    Excellent catch, and good news! Browsing experience should improve to 2016 levels with this. I hope you link the repo so we can all clone it.

So where do you guys go from here? I forget when Qt depreciated Webkit2. Do you port Qt 5.12 to BlackBerry, or do you backport something like the community maintained Qt5 Webkit2 to BlackBerry Qt5. 6?

Either way, exciting news, should extend the life of the device a few more years once yall wrap everything into a browser program.

Posted via CB10
    Both are viable, if backporting is possible that would probably be the best thing because it could be included as a shared library inside of momentics projects. Moving up a few versions of Qt makes porting UBports, Sailfish etc app a whole lot easier. The release of the pinephone CE edition means there is a wild file of Qt app development at the moment.

What are your thoughts? I think a fully fledged browser with this engine under the hood would be useful.
    dpgo likes this.
    06-09-20 03:30 PM
    Here's a quick fork with the changes needed since my local source tree is a mess https://github.com/sgear256/qtwebkit/tree/5.6-bb
    QtWebKit 5.6 is not that useful in and of itself but the hope is that something like QtWebKit 5.212, which to my understanding has a lot of new WebKit functionality backported, can now be ported over easily. I'm not sure a newer version of Qt altogether would be beneficial also not sure that qcc 4.8.3 can compile newer versions of Qt as they rely on C++11 features that it might not support. Hopefully Qt 5.6 will suffice for now. I plan on looking into it further at some point but alas am pressed for time :\
    Didnt know you had a GitHub repo for this! Awesome.
    06-09-20 03:30 PM
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-10-20 08:20 AM
    Both are viable, if backporting is possible that would probably be the best thing because it could be included as a shared library inside of momentics projects. Moving up a few versions of Qt makes porting UBports, Sailfish etc app a whole lot easier. The release of the pinephone CE edition means there is a wild file of Qt app development at the moment.

What are your thoughts? I think a fully fledged browser with this engine under the hood would be useful.
    I would have to agree that a backport of the community webkit would be the way to go. As it would be less work as a whole.

Rolling over BlackBerry specific code to the latest QT would be a bit more work, specially since a bit of code will have to be written from scratch for all the new modules. And like it is mentioned elsewhere in this thread, QT bouncing up to c++11.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-20 01:25 PM
    I beg your pardon for my extreme laziness.. is anyone willing to share the Qt5.6+Qtwebkit binaries?
    06-11-20 09:34 AM
    I beg your pardon for my extreme laziness.. is anyone willing to share the Qt5.6+Qtwebkit binaries?
    What do you mean? The Qt binaries and the source for the QtWebKit project? Or the Bar file.
    jrsva2008 likes this.
    06-11-20 04:41 PM
    What do you mean? The Qt binaries and the source for the QtWebKit project? Or the Bar file.
    The Qt binaries, like the ones hosted on w-bremer.de
    patrickjmquinn and jrsva2008 like this.
    06-12-20 05:44 AM
    I'll upload them with to github and share the link here
    Simo_Dax likes this.
    06-12-20 08:48 AM
    https://github.com/O-NX/Qt-BB10 there you go
    06-12-20 08:54 AM
    Thank you so much!

EDIT: I just checked it, it's not 5.6 but 5.2?
    06-12-20 02:35 PM
    Thank you so much!

EDIT: I just checked it, it's not 5.6 but 5.2?
    Yes sorry, I haven't had the chance to update build 5.6 yet, best check with @sgear256

actually @sgear256 if I make you and admin of that repo do you want to push what you've built in regards 5.6 to a separate of that repo?
    Simo_Dax likes this.
    06-13-20 04:48 AM
1,053 ... 56789 ...