I know guys, this went out of topic and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or sound like a pessimistic crazy maniac. We've got so many good inventions and benefits from them. In last 100 years humanity had a big step forward in so many ways. But against being all good, sometimes humans went too far for the benefit of few and that is why I feel sad, how easily could it go all well and sadly does not.
    Simply happy to share wity you some thoughts. Knowing that most of the ones here in this forum know a lot of this useful powerful devices which we all carry around day and night, and the ones developing them having the power to make Apps, OS's and so possible, just use common sense for the good of all and not for the company you are working for or your own pocket. If you can make a good move, may not be the only one and at the end it will bring a better future for us all.
    bh7171 likes this.
    02-01-21 02:14 AM
    I remember the horror here in these forums when BlackBerry 10 not having a native Facebook app was deemed so detrimental along with all the other Social Media apps.

I personally don't want any device and or smart phone that has these apps on initial boot and or later nefariously added out of nowhere.

On a different note I briefly touched on Graphene OS that is part of AOSP BUT doesn't have ANY Google apps or PlayStore. It sandwiches layers for added security and does allow one to add Android apps say direct from companies/sites. Could something similar be in the works or adopted by OM for the upcoming 2021 BlackBerry 5G QWERTY? If so it would be an immediate buy for me as a consumer as that would give me the choice to load or not load services I want or not.
    Of course. That is how Facebook made billions being free for most of the users. Who did not feel stalked from time to time from an ex, neighbor or someone unknown? That was nothing of how FB does stalk us all.

Mentioning a good book that I'm sure you have heard of: Rana Foroohar, Don't Be Evil.
    How big tech took us for granted and made fool of everyone while earning billions.
    02-01-21 02:24 AM
    So you’re saying Chuck’s SD card emporium, Finley69 branded products won’t be found in your shopping cart?
    I must admit I was tempted by the “Finley69 24TB microSD card” for $6 but someone warned me off it, probably conite can’t remember why they warned me against it as it seemed such a good deal! Different thread btw! Lol
    dmlis likes this.
    02-01-21 04:38 AM
    Any need I'd have for a dash cam would be mainly about image/video evidence for what happened around my vehicle, for my purposes. I don't think I'd have any need of a dash cam to be able to help someone else prove if I was or was not somewhere or if I was potentially involved in an incident or not. If I had a fleet of vehicles or if I was concerned about other drivers of my vehicle, then I'd have some different needs.

Edit: GPS tagging of the image/video evidence would not be a primary need, in my opinion.
    It would be nice not to need Geo tagging but if you need to prove where you were at a certain time it can be useful again.

Just as a demonstration this is a true story that happened to me.

About a year ago I received a parking fine in the post from a town about an hours drive from where I live here in the UK, somewhere I’d never even been in my new Van, I took a screen shot from my dash cam with the time and gps coordinates on and as it happens a picture of me walking away from the van and sent it to them proving I was somewhere else at the time they say I was parking illegally.

Needless to say they cancelled the fine.

It’s not always a bad thing but it would be good to think the data was only held locally but that’s never going to be the case unfortunately.
    02-01-21 04:53 AM
    It would be nice not to need Geo tagging but if you need to prove where you were at a certain time it can be useful again.

Just as a demonstration this is a true story that happened to me.

About a year ago I...
    I am hearing you, but if I need to have a dash cam to be able to prove I wasn't somewhere that someone might choose to imagine I was, then the world is indeed a sad state of affairs.
    anon(10724439) likes this.
    02-01-21 06:03 AM
    I am hearing you, but if I need to have a dash cam to be able to prove I wasn't somewhere that someone might choose to imagine I was, then the world is indeed a sad state of affairs.
    Unfortunately I think we’re headed in that direction, full steam!
    02-01-21 07:07 AM
    Wow, so much cynicism!

Where I work we are testing a new insurance plan that is definitely less expensive for most customers. So if the traditional insurers won’t use the new data to offer a less expensive product, we will. So will others.
    If you are just now testing you are far behind. Root, Metromile, etc, are but a few of the "insurtech" startups using telemetry and AI technology to try and create a lessor cost product for the carrier (not the client-although that's the spin) or in hopes to be sold to a major carrier. (Think Esurance and Allstate many years back)

How these newer entities address claims @ the repair facility and with the human element is usually less favorable to their clients. They are getting "fleeced" by repair facilities @ the supplement and actual repair stage and by their insurance counterparts in the subrogation area. And certainly within the legal aspects of BI claims and diminished value.

30 years experience in various insurance fields (auto and dental health) has made me a bit cynical toward these "paradigm" shifts to lessen costs. The reality in auto or dental insurance is that premiums, less a ridiculous deductible, have not and will not come down as the cost of vehicles and repairing them (or teeth) is ever increasing. Similarly in healthcare.

Few actually put the time and or thought into areas where one really could lessen costs and that's of course in education and training of driving a veh, oral health or exercising and ingesting healthier foods. (Far less exciting or monetarily beneficial to said companies)
    02-01-21 03:45 PM
    If you are just now testing you are far behind. Root, Metromile, etc, are but a few of the "insurtech" startups using telemetry and AI technology to try and create a lessor cost product for the carrier (not the client-although that's the spin) or in hopes to be sold to a major carrier. (Think Esurance and Allstate many years back)
    Can any of these startups give you the actual car, also? All in one payment?
    02-01-21 05:52 PM
    ...They are getting "fleeced" by repair facilities @ the supplement and actual repair stage and by their insurance counterparts in the subrogation area. And certainly within the legal aspects of BI claims and diminished value...
    It is indeed ridiculous. Few folks in chain care about the cost when an insurance company is covering the fee and that drives the cost of the repair way up and we all suffer higher premiums as a result. I have had experiences where I have notice a repair facility blatantly charging fees they should not be, and I have pointed the situation out to all parties (including the insurance company rep) and no one cares or even bothers to spend the time to listen to what is not being correctly done.

Anyway, off topic again.
    02-01-21 07:52 PM
    Getting back a 'lil bit on the original post intentions, at least some way closer to it, can't remember if @conite mentioned something about installing other secure OS's to actual Android compatible smartphones... Am I correct or did I understand wrong?

You know, I love my Passport and few weeks ago was though thinking of buying a refurbished one from Aliexpress, which seems a big deal. Then, after all last posts written about BB10, may not be a good invest at least if planning to use that phone for a while. So...

What about getting one of those instead (Passport alike tough guy), many of you will know about this brand Unihertz, https://www.unihertz.com/titan.html, wipe it off and install whatever OS you like?

If so, which OS would be the best/better and how to do so to get it installed and working properly? I've got myself an Energizer E241S with KaiOS which is very basic one and don't know how usefull is this OS, for calling only as personal phone does well but would need a 'more' smartphone for work in the near future due to BB10 uncertainty next year.
    Well, call me maniac but I don't want to be under Google or iOS (with its data spying) phones anymore.
    Thanks!

Tell me you do not love this guy now:

Breathing new life into BB10...-captura-de-pantalla-2021-02-02-les-15.23.44.png
    02-02-21 08:41 AM
    Getting back a 'lil bit on the original post intentions, at least some way closer to it, can't remember if @conite mentioned something about installing other secure OS's to actual Android compatible smartphones... Am I correct or did I understand wrong?

You know, I love my Passport and few weeks ago was though thinking of buying a refurbished one from Aliexpress, which seems a big deal. Then, after all last posts written about BB10, may not be a good invest at least if planning to use that phone for a while. So...

What about getting one of those instead (Passport alike tough guy), many of you will know about this brand Unihertz, https://www.unihertz.com/titan.html, wipe it off and install whatever OS you like?

If so, which OS would be the best/better and how to do so to get it installed and working properly? I've got myself an Energizer E241S with KaiOS which is very basic one and don't know how usefull is this OS, for calling only as personal phone does well but would need a 'more' smartphone for work in the near future due to BB10 uncertainty next year.
    Well, call me maniac but I don't want to be under Google or iOS (with its data spying) phones anymore.
    Thanks!

Tell me you do not love this guy now:
    Still nothing to do with BB10....

Might want to pop into one of the Titan threads or create a new one. Or look elsewhere....

I know over on XDA and Discord there has been talk of installing other ROMS to one degree or another.
    02-02-21 08:51 AM
    I think builds for the Titan are slim. Some exist but how maintained they are in another question and also do they actually perform good with keyboard
    02-02-21 09:04 AM
    also do they actually perform good with keyboard
    That's the problem right now with Lineage and the Titan. Most everything is working except that keyboard's capacitive function. I just don't think that custom ROM's make the Titan a daily driver. Yet, anyway.
    02-02-21 09:59 AM
    Still nothing to do with BB10....

Might want to pop into one of the Titan threads or create a new one. Or look elsewhere....

I know over on XDA and Discord there has been talk of installing other ROMS to one degree or another.
    I'm a complet ignorant on the topic, that's why I'm asking, putting as example like installing Ubuntu on a PC but not sure if there exists any similar things for smartphones and a proper stable OS to be used.
    Maybe I've been silly thinking that way exist.
    02-02-21 10:13 AM
    I'm a complet ignorant on the topic, that's why I'm asking, putting as example like installing Ubuntu on a PC but not sure if there exists any similar things for smartphones and a proper stable OS to be used.
    Take a look at the devices currently supported by LineageOS.

https://lineageos.org/

Samsung S9+, Zenfone 6, Sony Xperia 10+, OnePlus 7T & Nord, and Xiaomi Mi A2 are among some of the newer ones.
    Last edited by conite; 02-02-21 at 11:05 AM.
    02-02-21 10:30 AM
    No it's a different situation... firmware and drivers are not as standardized as with PC hardware. If you look at most these hobbyist OS.... they all have devices they work "best" on.... many cases it older devices.

Especially problematic is specialized hardware.... like a PKB with capacitive touch functionality. But many devices suffer from lack of support of camera, Bluetooth even WiFi.
    02-02-21 10:33 AM
    So, the most advanced ROM's that can be installed on SOME devices (not all) are of the Lineage variety. They are pretty much stock android with no additional OEM bloatware. The Unihertz Titan does have an experimental Lineage OS build but maybe not quite for everyday use as not everything will work 100% on it. There is a vast number of phones that ARE supported and can be used as a daily driver and that list can be found here: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

Ubuntu can be installed on a few select android devices, most notably on old Google Nexus, OnePlusOne and Fairphone 2 devices. Others can use Ubuntu but are experimental. So, no, you cannot just grab any android device and slap on a 100% functional alternative OS other than the supported devices I've listed.
    02-02-21 11:05 AM
    Thanks for the info @conite, @Dunt Dunt Dunt and @brookie229

I will have a look and see if for some kind of luck sooner or later I can get that Unihertz Titan and maybe being luckier by that time there's a way to have LineagoOS installed in it.

Not in the rush now as my Passport does pretty well as new but I should be looking for an alternative if the BB10 forecast brings a storm sooner than expected.

As not being handy with this stuff nor even light years any kind of a geek or something, if there is no easy way as install button and few minutes after by magic (form me) all is complete and ready... I may end up burning that phone and throwing it to the window before making it happen.

If someone loves the Unihertz Titan and tries it, please let me know! Honestly I'm amazed how people can do cracking, and so. I guess sounds easy for the ones used to code and stuff, but for me is like reading chinese or arabic. So be gentle!
    02-02-21 11:49 AM
    As not being handy with this stuff nor even light years any kind of a geek or something, if there is no easy way as install button and few minutes after by magic (form me) all is complete and ready.
    If that is the case, I would recommend that you just buy a new device (Apple or android) and stick to the stock OS. Either that or get someone who is familiar with installing a custom ROM. It's too complicated for the uninitiated!
    02-02-21 11:56 AM
    If that is the case, I would recommend that you just buy a new device (Apple or android) and stick to the stock OS. Either that or get someone who is familiar with installing a custom ROM. It's too complicated for the uninitiated!
    I get it, that's why I'm thinking of by that time I decide or not buying that Unihertz smartphone there's a way to do it.
    You mean installation of LineageOS needs to be skilled or familiar with, right?
    Somehow I may need to do something like this avoiding as much as possible the FAANGs or if under force majour must end up on Apple/Android OS, should find the way to top privacy.
    02-02-21 12:49 PM
    Yes - the process is NOT push one button and done. It requires technical knowhow.
    anon(10724439) likes this.
    02-02-21 12:51 PM
    I get it, that's why I'm thinking of by that time I decide or not buying that Unihertz smartphone there's a way to do it.
    Somehow I may need to do something like this avoiding as much as possible the FAANGs or if under force majour must end up on Apple/Android OS, should find the way to top privacy.
    It's a lot like the PC market. And the thing about phones, is they are much less standardized than PC's.

Most PC owners use Windows, love it or hate it. It's the sensible choice for the vast majority of cases. And that's true even where it's pretty easy to install one of the Linux distros.
    02-02-21 12:52 PM
    It's a lot like the PC market. And the thing about phones, is they are much less standardized than PC's.

Most PC owners use Windows, love it or hate it. It's the sensible choice for the vast majority of cases. And that's true even where it's pretty easy to install one of the Linux distros.
    It's light years easier to install a linux distro on a PC than it is to install LineageOS on a mobile device. I like how Linux has incorporated that install feature/live demo onto a PC. A lot more prep work has to go in before LineageOS can be installed on a suitable mobile device. It's not that difficult to run a live demo of Lineage on a windows tablet with the correct bios settings though.
    02-02-21 12:58 PM
    It's light years easier to install a linux distro on a PC than it is to install LineageOS on a mobile device. I like how Linux has incorporated that install feature/live demo onto a PC. A lot more prep work has to go in before LineageOS can be installed on a suitable mobile device. It's not that difficult to run a live demo of Lineage on a windows tablet with the correct bios settings though.
    I see, then I'm sure that before buying it will have to find someone who can help or do it for me, at least with experience.
    Shouldn't be a big problem for an experienced person. I guess.

For me having Cobalt's running myself on my Passport at first attempt was a major success!
    02-02-21 03:48 PM

Go ahead, y’all can just say it like a common understood phrase...

“It’s not a Chuck Finley69”

That’s okay, go ahead, I get it....... LOL
    brookie229 and app_Developer like this.
    02-02-21 06:58 PM
1,053 ... 3940414243