In English?
    I believe QNX is ready to provide source to paying customers. So, I wouldn't expect source (or support beyond what is posted on the Web) with a free developer's license targeting the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B.
    10-19-20 03:16 PM
    I believe QNX is ready to provide source to paying customers.
    Licensees get the code, yes.

But so what? You still wouldn't base your entire business on a licensed closed-source piece of code.
    10-19-20 03:23 PM
    Licensees get the code, yes.

But so what? You still wouldn't base your entire business on a licensed closed-source piece of code.
    If the license persists irrespective of the owners situation and the licensee can chose to continue with owners work or fork the licensed source how is it substantially different from relying on OSS?
    10-19-20 04:15 PM
    If the license persists irrespective of the owners situation and the licensee can chose to continue with owners work or fork the licensed source how is it substantially different from relying on OSS?
    You're talking about some kind of perpetual licence that includes ownership of the code. Why would BlackBerry ever do that?
    10-19-20 05:22 PM
    You're talking about some kind of perpetual licence that includes ownership of the code. Why would BlackBerry ever do that?
    To spread the joy man.....

Oh wait we are talking about a business what want to patent and monetize everything they do. Yeah no spread the love for free is going to happen.
    10-20-20 10:14 AM
    No. A license has many moving parts, so-to-speak. These protect both the licensee and the licensor.

BlackBerry may realize that a razor and razor blade model may make sense at this stage. Where the razor is the base OS and the blades are what differentiates the various platforms the company offers. This foundational OS is what would be offered for the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, but will not necessarily include source for these non-paying customers.

With the ability to automatically restart processes like resource managers (aka drivers) and OS components as necessary, adding the capability for the system to be configured at runtime would minimize the impact of the lack of source and likely not require much developer resources at QNX.

It would be interesting if BlackBerry, upon introduction of a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B BSP, has a competition for producing (or porting) a UX for QNX-7. It could be the beginning of a OSS program at the company.
    Last edited by DonHB; 10-20-20 at 10:47 AM.
    10-20-20 10:19 AM
    No. A license has many moving parts, so-to-speak. These protect both the licensee and the licensor.
    Huh?

Explain exactly what you mean by listing when BlackBerry gets its cheque(s) and for what.
    10-20-20 10:19 AM
    Huh?

Explain exactly what you mean by listing when BlackBerry gets its cheque(s) and for what.
    Double HUH?
    10-20-20 10:48 AM
    Double HUH?
    It's simple. Explain your proposed licensing arrangement by how and when and for what BlackBerry gets cheques.
    10-20-20 10:50 AM
    It's simple. Explain your proposed licensing arrangement by how and when and for what BlackBerry gets cheques.
    I doubt that a business licensing QNX tech for IoT would have the same license as that for cars. It can't be generalized for multiple markets or products. This is part of the problem BlackBerry has with QNX. It is also what it should have a free developers license and why targeting the Raspberry Pi 4 would be a good choice. BlackBerry may even be able to arrange for each developer license acquired to be a donation to the RaspBerry Pi Foundation, but I am no CPA.
    10-20-20 10:55 AM
    I doubt that a business licensing QNX tech for IoT would have the same license as that for cars. It can't be generalized for multiple markets or products. This is part of the problem BlackBerry has with QNX. It is also what it should have a free developers license and why targeting the Raspberry Pi 4 would be a good choice. BlackBerry may even be able to arrange for each developer license acquired to be a donation to the RaspBerry Pi 4 Foundation.
    What does this even mean?

You are proposing some kind of perpetual owner license. I'm asking you how that works and how/when BlackBerry gets paid. Full stop.
    10-20-20 10:59 AM
    What does this even mean?

You are proposing some kind of perpetual owner license. I'm asking you how that works and how/when BlackBerry gets paid. Full stop.
    The free developer's license for the Raspberry Pi 4 would be perpetual for the version available, but I was referring to how licenses (non-free) can have contingency terms.
    10-20-20 11:11 AM
    The free developer's license for the Raspberry Pi 4 would be perpetual for the version available, but I was referring to how licenses (non-free) can have contingency terms.
    So tossing the free licence aside (which will never happen), explain how your paid licence arrangement would work.
    10-20-20 11:20 AM
    So tossing the free licence aside (which will never happen), explain how your paid licence arrangement would work.
    I have only been writing about the need for a free developer's license. You must have misunderstood. Why do you think it will never happen? The license would be for an OS that competes in capability with Linux, FreeBSD, Windows 10 for IoT, etc. The audio tech stuff that QNX has that is specifically targeted for its car infotainment platform would NOT be included, of course. Other platform specific stuff would also not be included.
    10-20-20 11:29 AM
    I have only been writing about the need for a free developer's license. You must have misunderstood.
    Ok, so this is all a dead end then.
    10-20-20 11:30 AM
    In terms of licensing, yes. Part of the problem is that each potential licensee has to contact BlackBerry. The only relatively easy license to get is a 30 day trial, but it does include more QNX technologies.

However, my idea regarding "DRM for the rest of us" should apply to the OS as well.
    10-20-20 11:38 AM
    I "think" he believe you get free developer licenses and everyone can run QNX on their Raspberry Pi.... they'll develop other software that would lead to paid licenses.

Sadly the world doesn't work that simply.... not like it did QNX that much good when they operated that way.
    10-20-20 11:42 AM
    Part of the problem is that each potential licensee has to contact BlackBerry.
    That's how commerce works, yes. Customer contacts seller.
    10-20-20 11:43 AM
    That's how commerce works, yes. Customer contacts seller.
    I am thinking of being able to download a QNX developer's licensed copy of QNX-7 from Raspberry Pi Foundation's Web site. It would be alongside other choices of OSes that are there.
    10-20-20 11:47 AM
    I am thinking of being able to download a QNX developer's licensed copy of QNX-7 from Raspberry Pi Foundation's Web site. It would be alongside other choices of OSes that are there.
    Does the Pi site support pay-walls?

Not that it matters as BlackBerry has made it crystal clear they aren't interested in any of this.
    10-20-20 11:49 AM
    Does the Pi site support pay-walls?

Not that it matters as BlackBerry has made it crystal clear they aren't interested in any of this.
    Where did it make it "crystal clear"? Go to the bottom off the page: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
    10-20-20 11:50 AM
    Where did it make it "crystal clear"? Go to the bottom off the page: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
    In everything they've ever done, not done, said, and not said?
    10-20-20 11:53 AM
    Useful information here.
    10-20-20 11:59 AM
    I'll be damned. Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is supported, but not free: https://blackberry.qnx.com/en/suppor...pport-packages
    10-20-20 12:02 PM
    I'll be damned. Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is supported, but not free: https://blackberry.qnx.com/en/suppor...pport-packages
    Perfect. Pay to play. There you go.

BlackBerry is not a charity.
    10-20-20 12:04 PM
1,053 ... 1920212223 ...