Well, suggest a modern OS which can serve as a foundation to provide a framework for controlled, monetized sharing of intellectual property that replaces persistent storage on said OS. It should also include both soft and hard real time support.
    In your best estimation which OS would be the #1 OS that you’d be winning users from?!?
    10-16-20 02:55 PM
    Well, suggest a modern OS which can serve as a foundation to provide a framework for controlled, monetized sharing of intellectual property that replaces persistent storage on said OS. It should also include both soft and hard real time support.
    But it's a closed source OS owned by a tiny struggling company.... that's almost ignored QNX as a development platform, and lost all it's main lead developers that built QNX with love.

I expect you'll have to wait and see who ends up owning QNX once PREM is forced to step in.
    10-16-20 03:06 PM
    In your best estimation which OS would be the #1 OS that you’d be winning users from?!?
    It also would be intended for many markets with components added and removed as appropriate. So, there is no one OS.
    10-16-20 03:09 PM
    If you're going to start all over from scratch, you'd want to use an open-source base from which to build. You don't want your entire project tethered to a company which may not be here in a few years.
    10-16-20 03:10 PM
    But it's a closed source OS owned by a tiny struggling company.... that's almost ignored QNX as a development platform, and lost all it's main lead developers that built QNX with love.

I expect you'll have to wait and see who ends up owning QNX once PREM is forced to step in.
    But you didn't answer my question. Can you suggest a modern OS with the criteria I mentioned?
    10-16-20 03:12 PM
    But you didn't answer my question. Can you suggest a modern OS with the criteria I mentioned?
    You have to rebuild from the ground up anyway. The point is you don't have to start with QNX as the seed.
    10-16-20 03:13 PM
    If you're going to start all over from scratch, you'd want to use an open-source base from which to build. You don't want your entire project tethered to a company which may not be here in a few years.
    BlackBerry is in the best position (financials aside) to do this as it is still in the business of security and privacy and it owns the OS. If the Onward Mobility partnership is successful opportunities to extend Android may surface.
    10-16-20 03:27 PM
    (financials aside)
    Why are they aside?
    10-16-20 03:28 PM
    BlackBerry is in the best position (financials aside) to do this as it is still in the business of security and privacy and it owns the OS. If the Onward Mobility partnership is successful opportunities to extend Android my surface.
    The OM licensing deal is barely on BlackBerry's radar. It's a low priority side project that didn't even merit a press release.
    10-16-20 03:30 PM
    The OM licensing deal is barely on BlackBerry's radar. It's a low priority side project that didn't even merit a press release.
    It is a big IF and OM had a press release. As a "side project" it doesn't merit more investment than Linux SE requires. Even if it succeeds it may remain a side project. The level of success will determine how much investment it merits. But this last is obvious and rhetorical. What isn't is the possibility that BB has intended to (embrace and) extend Android, but never had the numbers to provide the RoI. This may be why the company chose to try again with OM.
    10-16-20 03:57 PM
    This may be why the company chose to try again with OM.
    BlackBerry isn't "trying" anything. They simply accepted OM's cheque(s) for licensing the brand name. I doubt that OM is using BlackBerry Android at all.
    10-16-20 04:00 PM
    Faith vs. Logic argument at this point. If one starts with the premise that BB10 and QNX are necessary to solve problem X, rather than that a practical solution to problem X needs to be found, then it's pointless to discuss why BB10 and QNX are not needed to solve problem X.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    10-16-20 06:51 PM
    BlackBerry isn't "trying" anything. They simply accepted OM's cheque(s) for licensing the brand name. I doubt that OM is using BlackBerry Android at all.
    It is a guess. What makes you believe that BlackBerry Secure isn't being used along with DTEK or similar?
    10-17-20 02:35 PM
    Faith vs. Logic argument at this point. If one starts with the premise that BB10 and QNX are necessary to solve problem X, rather than that a practical solution to problem X needs to be found, then it's pointless to discuss why BB10 and QNX are not needed to solve problem X.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    QNX has features and functionality which makes is a good foundation for this purpose. Not least is its purported modularity and, accordingly, its ease of configurability. Also, its soft and hard realtime capabilities are pluses going forward. It also supports POSIX and along with its modularity makes the choice of rethinking its APIs an option. What OS would you suggest that is commercially proven that has these features?
    10-17-20 02:39 PM
    Why are they aside?
    You could also read it as:

If its financials were better it is in an ideal position to do this because it owns the platform and other technologies that could be applied to the problem.
    10-17-20 02:53 PM
    It is a guess. What makes you believe that BlackBerry Secure isn't being used along with DTEK or similar?
    Because there is no indication it has been developed in any way since late 2017 / early 2018.

And the deal is so insignificant, BlackBerry has not released a single press release since OM's announcement, and made no mention of it in their last quarterly results. Yet they had releases and spoke about 3 other minor partnerships during the same period.
    10-17-20 03:22 PM
    You could also read it as:

If its financials were better it is in an ideal position to do this because it owns the platform and other technologies that could be applied to the problem.
    No. My point is that no other company is going to base their entire future on a closed-source kernel - let alone one from a weak company.
    10-17-20 03:26 PM
    No. My point is that no other company is going to base their entire future on a closed-source kernel - let alone one from a weak company.
    You can get source depending on license, but it wouldn't be supported like OSS.
    10-17-20 07:10 PM
    Because there is no indication it has been developed in any way since late 2017 / early 2018.

And the deal is so insignificant, BlackBerry has not released a single press release since OM's announcement, and made no mention of it in their last quarterly results. Yet they had releases and spoke about 3 other minor partnerships during the same period.
    OM emphasizes a secure phone for business. With BB's track record, why would it not leave marketing and PR to OM?
    10-17-20 07:17 PM
    OM emphasizes a secure phone for business. With BB's track record, why would it not leave marketing and PR to OM?
    OM has zero track record
    10-17-20 07:20 PM
    OM has zero track record
    Is no track record worse than bad track record?
    10-17-20 08:53 PM
    A business deal is a business deal. As a publicly traded company, they would have to mention the deal if it was material.
    10-17-20 10:15 PM
    You can get source depending on license, but it wouldn't be supported like OSS.
    In English?
    10-17-20 10:15 PM
    Is no track record worse than bad track record?
    An unknown is harder to plan for than a known in most circumstances...
    10-17-20 11:08 PM
    An unknown is harder to plan for than a known in most circumstances...

Do you even plan for an unknown, or ignore it till you know it's safe?

As for BlackBerry Android Secure and the Suite of Apps.... again the issue some of us have is the cost. Dozen developers working to move all of this from Android 8 and jump up to Android 11. We question how much that would add to the cost of the phones. Sure if Enterprise really values what BlackBerry offers.... money is no object. But reality is iOS and KNOX offer most of what BlackBerry Android Secure did, for no premium. It's business and there is competition, so money does matter.

When would OM design their own keyboard? Why not licenses what BlackBerry is known for?
    10-19-20 07:10 AM
1,053 ... 1819202122 ...