Some here might like to know your experience on a Pinephone... what OS your running and how that compares to BB10.

Some are only using BB10 now as they don't want to face either Android or iOS. Being a phone designed to run more open operating systems... they potential for app development is much greater. But how well does it work today?
    Honestly, while its great to own on and I see the potential, BB10 is still 10x ahead of any of the distributions currently available. It's still coming along at breakneck speed across the board for reasons outlined by others here but give it 3-6 months before taking it seriously as a device to be daily driven.
    07-11-20 04:18 AM
    How's it all going? Loved reading this thread.
    07-28-20 11:50 PM
    Its not a fully fleshed out browser yet. You set the URL in code and then test. Once chrome (i.e the browser controls) have been added, i'll do just that. Havent had a chance to do much on that front as i've been distracted by my pinephone.
    If you have the time, might I pick your brain of some of the details? I seem to have plenty this summer.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-20 09:52 PM
    Honestly, while its great to own on and I see the potential, BB10 is still 10x ahead of any of the distributions currently available. It's still coming along at breakneck speed across the board for reasons outlined by others here but give it 3-6 months before taking it seriously as a device to be daily driven.
    Hey new Appstore is ready.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1186577

https://bb.sz7.me

Posted with BlackBerry
    dmlis, Indir, phylez and 1 others like this.
    08-08-20 11:15 PM
    If you have the time, might I pick your brain of some of the details? I seem to have plenty this summer.

Posted via CB10
    Well, if it's OK: Is there a way to use the resources from Browser to reproduce its UI? I doubt BlackBerry would care at this point or maybe while work is in progress? Could gray out items until they are implemented.
    09-06-20 11:50 AM
    Well, if it's OK: Is there a way to use the resources from Browser to reproduce its UI? I doubt BlackBerry would care at this point or maybe while work is in progress? Could gray out items until they are implemented.
    The UI is the least of the issues being dealt with. There is a mountain to climb well before that.
    Simo_Dax likes this.
    09-06-20 11:57 AM
    The new licensing arrangement might preclude borrowing IP without paying for it.
    09-06-20 05:05 PM
    I don't know exactly what you mean.

If you were looking to open a window like your own GUI or windowing server then sortof yes but the box model isnt the same. If you meant like slides or a profile, the seleniumWebcore sends the screen as png over port:1338, if you run an xhr interval and serialize the responses as slides in a json list, you could then remap the controls using animation frame and queing the GUI from a stack.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 09-15-20 at 02:25 PM.
    09-06-20 10:15 PM
    Is there a way to "borrow" the QML + icons, etc from Browser to create a GUI. Perhaps from a simulator? Technically anyone owning a BB10 device has licensed this and and it would be tough to suggest this is reverse engineering. If this ultimately is sold it could become a problem.

QML is preprocessed, but can these parts be used to create a usable Alpha?
    09-07-20 05:09 PM
    Is there a way to "borrow" the QML + icons, etc from Browser to create a GUI. Perhaps from a simulator? Technically anyone owning a BB10 device has licensed this and and it would be tough to suggest this is reverse engineering. If this ultimately is sold it could become a problem.

Why are you so focused on the very last chapter of a large book?
    09-07-20 06:57 PM
    Why are you so focused on the very last chapter of a large book?
    Quick way to add the controls?

https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13527615
    Last edited by DonHB; 09-07-20 at 09:35 PM.
    09-07-20 08:03 PM

WATERLOO, ON and SEOUL, South Korea, Sept. 7, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) today announced StradVision, an industry leader in AI-based camera perception technology, will utilize the QNX Software Development Platform within a number of next generation Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and Autonomous Vehicles (AV) from South Korean automakers.

With the agreement, BlackBerry will license its BlackBerry QNX technology to StradVision, including its QNX Software Development Platform (SDP) 7.0 for use in the company's SVNet, an AI-based camera perception software tool that is expected to be adopted by South Korea's top automotive supplier and a leading automotive original equipment manufacturer (OEM).

"The competitiveness of SVNet lies in its flexibility with its broad hardware support and deep learning software for the advancement of safer driving," said Junhwan Kim, CEO, StradVision. "Leveraging BlackBerry technology will reinforce SVNet as one of the most reliable, safe and robust camera perception solutions for ADAS & Autonomous Vehicles, enabling us to bring more innovation and convenience to customers."

"We are excited to work with StradVision to help our automotive customers surpass their competition with our reliable and secure QNX Neutrino Real-time Operating System," said John Wall, SVP and Co-Head, BlackBerry Technology Solutions. "This relationship further cements our leadership as a provider of secure operating systems and foundational software solutions designed to meet the evolving needs for connected, and autonomous vehicles across the South Korea automotive industry."

Empowered by StradVision's patented and cutting-edge Deep Neural Network, SVNet saves power and is compatible with target hardware systems, allowing vehicles to detect objects; including other cars on the road, lanes, pedestrians, animals, signs and traffic lights. SVNet remains fully operational even in harsh climates and continues to improve vehicle safety by analyzing collected data with speed and accuracy.

The QNX® Software Development Platform (SDP) is the most secure, highest performance and reliable OS platform. It includes the QNX Neutrino® RTOS, QNX Momentics® Tool Suite and QNX Software Center to provide a full-featured, real-time operating system and development tools for embedded developers.

BlackBerry has a broad portfolio of embedded software including a Type 1 hypervisor, real-time operating system, development tools and middleware for embedded systems. Outside of automotive, the QNX OS is widely used in life and safety-critical systems for medical devices, industrial controls, rail, robotics and aerospace & defense.

For more information on BlackBerry QNX products and engineering services for embedded systems, please visit BlackBerry.QNX.com.

About BlackBerry
    BlackBerry (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) provides intelligent security software and services to enterprises and governments around the world. The company secures more than 500M endpoints and over 175M cars on the road today. Based in Waterloo, Ontario, the company leverages AI and machine learning to deliver innovative solutions in the areas of cybersecurity, safety and data privacy solutions, and is a leader in the areas of endpoint security management, encryption, and embedded systems. BlackBerry's vision is clear - to secure a connected future you can trust.

BlackBerry. Intelligent Security. Everywhere.
    For more information, visit BlackBerry.com and follow @blackberry.

Trademarks, including but not limited to BLACKBERRY and EMBLEM Design are the trademarks or registered trademarks of BlackBerry Limited, and the exclusive rights to such trademarks are expressly reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. BlackBerry is not responsible for any third-party products or services.

About StradVision
    StradVision is an industry pioneer in vision processing technology, accelerating the advent of fully autonomous vehicles. With more than 120 employees in their San Jose, Seoul, Tokyo and Munich offices, they address industry challenges via their expertise in deep learning, embedded platforms, perception, and advanced algorithms on a daily basis. The company received the 2020 Autonomous Vehicle Technology ACES Award in Autonomy (Software Category).

Media Contact:
    BlackBerry Media Relations
    +1 (519) 597-7273
    [email protected]

StradVision
    +1-347-508-3103
    [email protected]

SOURCE BlackBerry Limited

Related Links

https://www.blackberry.com
    09-08-20 06:12 AM
    What does this have to do with the OP?
    09-08-20 01:49 PM
    Think he's showing you that BlackBerry does care about their IP.... even if it's a tiny little experimental program.

StradVision is a little startup company, using QNX on one of their products with one company on some EV project.

But the OP hasn't posted in a couple months... so what does any of this have to do with anything at this point.
    09-08-20 01:58 PM
    Actually I think he was saying that QNX (and BB10) are about security, and getting the picture. Get the picture?(from your smartphone?)
    09-09-20 12:45 AM
    Think he's showing you that BlackBerry does care about their IP.... even if it's a tiny little experimental program.

StradVision is a little startup company, using QNX on one of their products with one company on some EV project.

But the OP hasn't posted in a couple months... so what does any of this have to do with anything at this point.
    09-09-20 09:35 AM
    Actually I think he was saying that QNX (and BB10) are about security, and getting the picture. Get the picture?(from your smartphone?)
    It’s all of the above, then some. Every time, BlackBerry is attempting some daily business, it appears to involve QNX for everything but phones. It’s security, but for now and I suspect the foreseeable decade, the QNX and things like Android or Cylance are separate.

Yes, protecting IP, but also that BB clearly has moved on. Breathing new life into BB10 is fun and challenging for the devs here but I don’t think anyone is hoping to revive BB10 commercially.
    09-09-20 09:42 AM

If you haven't seen this before, BlackBerry made standard BB10 icons available to all developers. You can download them below. (The link is below the wireframes section).

https://developer.blackberry.com/design/bb10/

I wouldn't advise ripping qml code from the browser. The cascades samples available from BlackBerry provide a lot of code you could use and most appear to be distributed under the Apache license.

Update: For anyone who hasn't looked at the samples, the Cascades-Community-Samples archive has a couple of sample browsers in BBBBBrowser and WebviewNav.

Good luck. There are many exciting chapters in the BB10 book. However you choose to read it, I hope you enjoy the experience.
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 09-09-20 at 11:06 AM.
    Indir and app_Developer like this.
    09-09-20 09:59 AM
    I’m switched to iPhone SE 2 recently and I will be back to BB10 OS if this project will be successful.
    joeldf likes this.
    09-09-20 10:24 AM
    Not saying this is dead but it doesnt appear to be worked on at all for about 3 months.
    09-09-20 11:37 AM
    Not saying this is dead but it doesnt appear to be worked on at all for about 3 months.
    Yep, it seems that devs have discovered just how difficult and time-consuming it would be to create a workable browser.
    09-09-20 11:41 AM
    Yep, it seems that devs have discovered just how difficult and time-consuming it would be to create a workable browser.
    Assuming the QT5.6 port was working as reported, the issue isn't really difficulty or time-consuming. I can't speak for OP, but in my case it's really pointless to devote anytime to BB10 because 1) platform is too closed down, 2) user base is extremely small, 3) the community (here) is pretty hostile to BB10. The later probably because mainstay users are jaded from starry-eyed noobs.

Also the OP mentioned he got a pinephone, which is a platform completely in its infancy. It's completely open, easy to develop for, and will have OS support indefinitely. If I were a writer of mobile software ( I focus on B2B desktop programs) it's an obvious choice of which platform I'd waste my spare time on.

All that being said, if anyone with deep pockets wants a browser (We're talking $10,000 at minimum, but I will have to look into it before giving a quote) I'd be more than happy to dot the t's and cross the i's for yall.

On the topic of QNX, of course they're going to license it to anyone running an ARM chip. It's a stable, up-to-date, secure Unix. QNX as a phone OS is dead, even in the licensing world. It would require to much work to update BB10 to modern standards and even more work to fix the missing stuff in modern QNX to be a phone OS.

Your greatest hope of seeing BB10 anywhere is as a TV OS. But that's unlikely, because licensing WebOS is cheaper and the work is already done for it.
    brookie229, Indir, Gallofa and 1 others like this.
    09-10-20 09:46 AM
    Assuming the QT5.6 port was working as reported, the issue isn't really difficulty or time-consuming. I can't speak for OP, but in my case it's really pointless to devote anytime to BB10 because 1) platform is too closed down, 2) user base is extremely small, 3) the community (here) is pretty hostile to BB10. The later probably because mainstay users are jaded from starry-eyed noobs.

Also the OP mentioned he got a pinephone, which is a platform completely in its infancy. It's completely open, easy to develop for, and will have OS support indefinitely. If I were a writer of mobile software ( I focus on B2B desktop programs) it's an obvious choice of which platform I'd waste my spare time on.

All that being said, if anyone with deep pockets wants a browser (We're talking $10,000 at minimum, but I will have to look into it before giving a quote) I'd be more than happy to dot the t's and cross the i's for yall.

On the topic of QNX, of course they're going to license it to anyone running an ARM chip. It's a stable, up-to-date, secure Unix. QNX as a phone OS is dead, even in the licensing world. It would require to much work to update BB10 to modern standards and even more work to fix the missing stuff in modern QNX to be a phone OS.

Your greatest hope of seeing BB10 anywhere is as a TV OS. But that's unlikely, because licensing WebOS is cheaper and the work is already done for it.
    I wonder if crowdsourcing would raise $20K for the cause....
    09-10-20 10:11 AM
    I wonder if crowdsourcing would raise $20K for the cause....
    lol
    09-10-20 10:32 AM
    I've looked into crowdsourcing before for an old piece of consumer software I wrote a decade ago. Typical conversion rates from what I gather is about 1-2% of the user base at 25% of the value of the product.

If we assume 2% of 200,000 global BB10 users, donating an average of $2.5, would leave you just under $10k after fees.

The pitfall to this is the fact that the BB10 community is spread out and do not access information from one spot. Crackberry and Reddit only hits a fraction of BB10 users. Not to mention, a vast majority of the user base is from the third world, and less likely to be able to contribute.

So no, modestly successful crowdfunding effort could barely raise my minimum fee. Certainly wouldn't cover how much I'd have to charge if anything required extensive (multi-month) work, backporting newer webkits to Qt5.6, or inserting BB code into newer versions of Qt.

But it's an amusing thought on paper.

Posted via CB10
    Indir likes this.
    09-10-20 12:16 PM
1,053 ... 89101112 ...