Every invocation target, e.g. sys.browser, belongs to a specific app. Other apps can't override existing invocation targets.
    Have never used WebWorks so can't say anything on the remaining part of your post, sorry.

Posted via CB10
    Had hoped that targets beginning with sys.* were defaulted apps. This is different than using Cascades for web functionality. With Guardian missing it may be best that targets are hardcoded and Cards can replace Cascades functionality.
    06-19-20 12:14 PM
    Had hoped that targets beginning with sys.* were defaulted apps. This is different than using Cascades for web functionality. With Guardian missing it may be best that targets are hardcoded and Cards can replace Cascades functionality.
    I think its good that BB10 can make use of a few invocations. Developers could implement the use of certain protocols like an end point or api/url. Take email for example. If the forms action sumbits to mailto protocol a script can apply prefix and suffix values with the formdata.
    mailto:?subject=Email&body=Hello⚓

Navigator object has a method to register a [url, window, document] with the browser, that url will only run secure assets over https. The Document can compliment this registration with an open search description XML document linked in the head. There isn't much to the xml widget but it can be super useful. Like applying transforms to a data set in the document load event before the window event so window can apply second transform or post the data to a channel or object for further processing.. from the assistant or any url/qr code. In windows new chromium browser, 'registerProtocolHandler' causes a registration in the Operating System. reading sys.browsers source code looks like opensearch points to libUniversalSearch object but idk about RegisterProtoclHandler yet. Provides a cacheable client / surface that runs as trust if base is set.

What I'm getting at is that there is room for a light, fast, and integrated api built on the web. The good web I mean, with wai-aria for states and properties. QNX themselves describe html5 as layer to hardware peripherals. I do beleive following the accessibility standards any web framework should be useable but more importantly interoperable.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-20 12:28 AM
    I think its good that BB10 can make use of a few invocations. Developers could implement the use of certain protocols like an end point or api/url. Take email for example. If the forms action sumbits to mailto protocol a script can apply prefix and suffix values with the formdata.
    mailto:?subject=Email&body=Hello⚓

Navigator object has a method to register a [url, window, document] with the browser, that url will only run secure assets over https. The Document can compliment this registration with an open search description XML document linked in the head. There isn't much to the xml widget but it can be super useful. Like applying transforms to a data set in the document load event before the window event so window can apply second transform or post the data to a channel or object for further processing.. from the assistant or any url/qr code. In windows new chromium browser, 'registerProtocolHandler' causes a registration in the Operating System. reading sys.browsers source code looks like opensearch points to libUniversalSearch object but idk about RegisterProtoclHandler yet. Provides a cacheable client / surface that runs as trust if base is set.

What I'm getting at is that there is room for a light, fast, and integrated api built on the web. The good web I mean, with wai-aria for states and properties. QNX themselves describe html5 as layer to hardware peripherals. I do beleive following the accessibility standards any web framework should be useable but more importantly interoperable.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting, so you're saying once could create a layer to support web apps and services as first class citizens on BB10? Or are we talking about something else entirely?
    06-23-20 05:56 AM
    Interesting, so you're saying once could create a layer to support web apps and services as first class citizens on BB10? Or are we talking about something else entirely?
    Basically yea.The Navigator registers an Object in your path, requires TLS though and I don't know its minimum requirement.

It's not consistent with other browsers, but com.rim.browser treats the registered path pretty uniquely.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 08-06-20 at 06:20 PM.
    patrickjmquinn likes this.
    06-23-20 04:28 PM
    Basically yea.The Navigator registers an Object in your path, requires TLS though and I don't know its minimum requirement.

It's not consistent with other browsers.

If you are familiar with stacks and states that is how I would describe using the OpenSearchDescription from BB10 desktop, client can do most of the work for a small table using balanced async methods and decryption. A proper search or translator would need a remote or embedded driver.

Posted via CB10
    We could extend the Navigator API natively with system level goodness, basically mirror the PWA standard so it doesnt break anything but with system calls wired in and a payload that matches what the modern Navigator API response types are?

I've have a bit more time after this week to start working on this thankfully
    Leyra B10 likes this.
    06-29-20 06:23 AM
    We could extend the Navigator API natively with system level goodness, basically mirror the PWA standard so it doesnt break anything but with system calls wired in and a payload that matches what the modern Navigator API response types are?

I've have a bit more time after this week to start working on this thankfully
    I have lots of time, and interest, not so much in the tools I'd have to use however.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 08-07-20 at 04:19 PM.
    07-02-20 10:41 PM
    I'd like to try. I have signing privileges so if I have to sign every app that goes on the market I will. As is always said in startup land, "dont tell me why it wont happen, tell me how it could"
    Logged into my 12 yr old CB account to say that I'm very excited for this whole project. Looking forward to watching the progress!
    07-04-20 07:36 PM
    Logged into my 12 yr old CB account to say that I'm very excited for this whole project. Looking forward to watching the progress!

I think they have figured out the OS and Android runtime are too locked down to really accomplish anything with then But a new Browser? New BAR Archive site to do OTA updates?
    07-06-20 10:55 AM
    I think they have figured out the OS and Android runtime are too locked down to really accomplish anything with then But a new Browser? New BAR Archive site to do OTA updates?
    Well damn. I didn't have an opportunity to read the entire thread before responding. It's nice to know there's still interest though.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-20 10:49 PM
    Yesterday I've tested the Qt 5.6 build with QtWebKit. I have mixed feelings

It works, and it really strucks positively at how everything manages to stay together despite being an unfinished work in progress. Some sites I visit regularly also load way faster

On the other hand, it looks like the touch handling has some problems (tapping on menus / buttons / stuff is very inconsistent), and webistes enforcing TLS 1.3 don't work (bumping qt to 5.8 should fix this?). I also tired to stress it by loading mail.google.com, the web process crashed (the amount of js Google uses to load a simple inbox is breathtaking )
    Last edited by Simo_Dax; 07-08-20 at 05:39 AM.
    07-08-20 04:59 AM
    Yesterday I've tested the Qt 5.6 build with QtWebKit. I have mixed feelings
    Progress is progress.

On the other hand, it looks like the touch handling has some problems (tapping on menus / buttons / stuff is very inconsistent),
    Is the issues menus/buttons on the pages or menus/buttons in QT?

The later could be avoidable by using keyboard shortcuts. The former sounds like an input timing and/or mapping issue. I've had similar problems with osr in CEF.

and webistes enforcing TLS 1.3 don't work (bumping qt to 5.8 should fix this?).
    Is the TLS implementation separate from webkit widget? If not, I think the only way to get it would be to port the community webkit fork.

That being said, current Browser doesn't have tls 1.3 either, does it?

I also tired to stress it by loading mail.google.com, the web process crashed (the amount of js Google uses to load a simple inbox is breathtaking )
    Absolutely agree with this. The modern web is horrific with the amount of amateur Javascript and the over use of it in general. It might be an unpopular opinion, but js is probably the worse piece of technology that caught on, on the web. Whoever thought relying on turing complete client script to power the modern was a good idea should be shot. The security implications alone are astronomical.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-20 11:44 AM
    Progress is progress.
    Yeah absolutely!

Is the issues menus/buttons on the pages or menus/buttons in QT?

The later could be avoidable by using keyboard shortcuts. The former sounds like an input timing and/or mapping issue. I've had similar problems with osr in CEF.
    On the pages. Yes it looks like it, after some more tries it seems that a slightly longer press (almost the long press threshold in native apps) manages to trigger actions quite often

Is the TLS implementation separate from webkit widget? If not, I think the only way to get it would be to port the community webkit fork.

That being said, current Browser doesn't have tls 1.3 either, does it?
    It's everything inside the WebView component.. I don't know whether it uses QNetworkAcessManager though. If it does, then getting to qt 5.8 should fix it.
    Anyway I'm not to sure anymore about tls 1.3, it may have just been a certificate issue. The message was "SSL handshake failed" so not really helping, haha

Absolutely agree with this. The modern web is horrific with the amount of amateur Javascript and the over use of it in general. It might be an unpopular opinion, but js is probably the worse piece of technology that caught on, on the web. Whoever thought relying on turing complete client script to power the modern was a good idea should be shot. The security implications alone are astronomical.
    You're not the only one to think this!

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Simo_Dax; 07-08-20 at 12:42 PM.
    07-08-20 12:15 PM

On the pages. Yes it looks like it, after some more tries it seems that a slightly longer press (almost the long press threshold in native apps) manages to trigger actions quite often

Posted via CB10
    Memory serves me, there is a manual delay between qt getting a touch input, and sending that input to webkit. Reason being mainly for gestures like zoom and what have you.

Perhaps that delay value was changed OR timing issues in qt5 make it take longer for it to trigger. Since it was a timing issue for the renderer, the later might be the issue. If it is a hardcoded delay, reducing it might be a workable hack.

Posted via CB10
    patrickjmquinn likes this.
    07-08-20 12:48 PM
    Does anyone know how Sailfish is doing their Android support? on Xperia 10 and XA2, they are claiming support up to Android 8.0
    Even with newer phones , I am not sure an emulator would give acceptable performance levels.

I wonder if it is more like BB10 translation layer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-08-20 04:27 PM
    Does anyone know how Sailfish is doing their Android support? on Xperia 10 and XA2, they are claiming support up to Android 8.0
    Even with newer phones , I am not sure an emulator would give acceptable performance levels.

I wonder if it is more like BB10 translation layer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    This is what it uses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik...ne?wprov=sfla1
    07-08-20 04:48 PM
    Managed to do some more tinkering this weekend and...QtWebKit 5.6 with WebKit2 now works on BB. Turns out CoreIPC fails to send all of the messages in queue and continues nonetheless. This results in CreateWebPage never being called along with several others. The bug is in ConnectionUnix sendOutgoingMessage, the call to sendmsg starts returning errno ENOBUFS about half way through the queue. While its not a solution I add a small delay and it can now load pages. Here's a screenshot from my BB of WebKit2 up and running. Attachment 448708
    Does it support ES6?

Posted via CB10
    07-09-20 04:29 AM
    Does it support ES6?

Posted via CB10

It does
    07-10-20 08:48 AM
    That would be excellent. Do you have the QNX software package, Momentics, or are you just using shell?

Posted via CB10
    Forgot to reply! Yes I use Momentics but have been using the shell for this stuff.
    07-10-20 08:50 AM
    It does
    Hey if it does why don't you just build it and give us.?

People like me are craving for an ES6 browser.

Posted with BlackBerry
    07-10-20 09:15 AM
    Hey if it does why don't you just build it and give us.?

People like me are craving for an ES6 browser.

Posted with BlackBerry
    Its not a fully fleshed out browser yet. You set the URL in code and then test. Once chrome (i.e the browser controls) have been added, i'll do just that. Havent had a chance to do much on that front as i've been distracted by my pinephone.
    07-10-20 10:18 AM
    Its not a fully fleshed out browser yet. You set the URL in code and then test. Once chrome (i.e the browser controls) have been added, i'll do just that. Havent had a chance to do much on that front as i've been distracted by my pinephone.
    Some here might like to know your experience on a Pinephone... what OS your running and how that compares to BB10.

Some are only using BB10 now as they don't want to face either Android or iOS. Being a phone designed to run more open operating systems... they potential for app development is much greater. But how well does it work today?
    07-10-20 11:26 AM
    Okay. Keep it up

Posted with BlackBerry
    07-10-20 12:12 PM
    Some here might like to know your experience on a Pinephone... what OS your running and how that compares to BB10.

Some are only using BB10 now as they don't want to face either Android or iOS. Being a phone designed to run more open operating systems... they potential for app development is much greater. But how well does it work today?
    Pinephones are still in early software support phase. Last I checked, you could make a phone call, but you had to initiate it via terminal. That's not going to be useable for the vast majority of the folks here.

That being said, it's well ahead of the Gemini PDAs already, and it will continue to get support indefinitely because the kernel and most of the drivers are mainline. It's already the primary target for many foss mobile solutions, because there is very little else out there that is open and cheap.

As far as appity app apps, the cellphone paradigm isn't really required, as you can run arm desktop programs. You don't need a banking "app" for instance, because you can just use quantum firefox. You don't need a netflix app, because you can run widevine from a drm enabled browser, etc.

Anyway, if you want apps, they will come, but remember, most of the people working on it are hardcore foss folks. You're more likely to get creationist content rather than consumer content. The later comes as the platform becomes more commercially viable.

Side note, own a pinebook pro and a pine64 sbc.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-20 12:22 PM
    Pinephones are still in early software support phase. Last I checked, you could make a phone call, but you had to initiate it via terminal. That's not going to be useable for the vast majority of the folks here.

That being said, it's well ahead of the Gemini PDAs already, and it will continue to get support indefinitely because the kernel and most of the drivers are mainline. It's already the primary target for many foss mobile solutions, because there is very little else out there that is open and cheap.

As far as appity app apps, the cellphone paradigm isn't really required, as you can run arm desktop programs. You don't need a banking "app" for instance, because you can just use quantum firefox. You don't need a netflix app, because you can run widevine from a drm enabled browser, etc.

Anyway, if you want apps, they will come, but remember, most of the people working on it are hardcore foss folks. You're more likely to get creationist content rather than consumer content. The later comes as the platform becomes more commercially viable.
    Back at launch FOSSMint had said
    Do keep in mind, however, that this edition is aimed at Linux-savvy users who will like to test beta OS builds and polish things up during the final stages of their development process.

If you’re interested in the edition of PinePhone aimed at general users then hold your horses until March 2020.
    I assumed that by now there was something more in the general user category....
    07-10-20 01:19 PM
    Yeah I'd be available as well to help with that part, but first a port from the more recent community qtwebkit is needed. I don't know who could do that though, I don't know anything about the webkit codebase
    07-10-20 01:55 PM
1,053 ... 7891011 ...