I started using Box as my cloud storage solution on BB10 because it had the option to auto synch media files.

However, in the last month or so I had to stop using it as it has become INCREDIBLY slow. I've long since turned off auto-synch for all media types, so it is not background transfers that are slowing things down.

Also, it's not my network, since using Dropbox I am able open files LITERALLY 50 times faster than with Box!

I've now replicated the files I have on Box in Dropbox. And, as a perfect example, just before making this post, I was able to load an image using Dropbox in 3 seconds, whereas in Box it took almost 2 minutes to open!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 11:13 PM
    It's limitations of the service.. has nothing to really do with BlackBerry. Google around and you will see countless comparisons which all point to Dropbox being faster than Box in most cases. I have my own theories which have been proven somewhat in the past but it's nothing definitive. eg: Dropbox checks files that are similar to the files you're uploading, if they match the files through filenames, hashsums, attributes etc. it never really uploads the same file again, it just moves that file to your database.
    mnc76 likes this.
    09-15-13 11:17 PM
    Sorry dude, but that's not my experience. Both have been fairly reliable for me.
    09-15-13 11:18 PM
    It's free to use Box and I get 10Gb. Don't really care for the speed.

From my Q5
    09-16-13 02:30 AM
    It's limitations of the service.. has nothing to really do with BlackBerry. Google around and you will see countless comparisons which all point to Dropbox being faster than Box in most cases. I have my own theories which have been proven somewhat in the past but it's nothing definitive. eg: Dropbox checks files that are similar to the files you're uploading, if they match the files through filenames, hashsums, attributes etc. it never really uploads the same file again, it just moves that file to your database.
    Thanks for the info. I never thought it was a BlackBerry problem though btw. I think I'll stick with Dropbox then. If Dropbox occasionally loads an out of date file (because the updated one has the same hashcode), then I can live with that. The slow download speed of Box is harder to live with for me.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 02:37 AM
    Sorry dude, but that's not my experience. Both have been fairly reliable for me.
    It used to be for me as well, but now it actually often hangs my file manager requiring me to close the whole file manager app.

I may still use it to synch media in the background since, very often, I just want an automatic backup of stuff and don't need my photos or videos to appear immediately in the cloud (so speed is less of an issue).

But when I'm opening and closing images, pdfs, and other docs really quickly, the transfer speed becomes a real productivity issue.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 02:42 AM
    The box website is really slow too. I don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 03:42 AM
    I have noticed a big performance difference from the time I tested both a year ago. Not 50x though, more like 3x to 5x.
    09-16-13 05:34 AM
    I was about to make a thread about how incredibly slow Box is. Takes forever to load my damn pictures. Is Dropbox free? I might check it out

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 04:08 PM
    Not noticed a problem with Box, although I do pin my favorite folders in file manager on my BB so they're locally stored

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4828
    09-16-13 04:16 PM
    Cause it gets 50x more storage tha. Dropbox?

I'm kidding but the service speed if not limited by your Internet connection will depend on the cloud service provider.
    09-16-13 08:16 PM
    I was about to make a thread about how incredibly slow Box is. Takes forever to load my damn pictures. Is Dropbox free? I might check it out

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is free! It's also integrated into the native BB10 file manager like Box is.

Box can autosynch videos, pictures, and music while Dropbox can't.

But other than that, Dropbox has been so much better for me. I've been blown away by how much faster it is for accessing files.

Highly recommend it! Also, they just updated it again on September 5th.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 202464
    09-17-13 02:45 AM
    It's just as fast (slow?) as it was when I signed up. No change for me. Certainly useable. I love the integration.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 08:27 AM