Apologies if this idea has been posted elsewhere.

Question I have is what if BlackBerry utilized a type of OS Bootcamp for their future phones?

I know a lot of people are frustrated with the Android talk, and even more are frustrated with the runtime within QNX. What if BlackBerry loaded two different OS options on their devices for the user to switch between? Similar to BlackBerry Balance now with work and personal space, but bringing to the best of both worlds.

One partition runs QNX BB10 for its secure microkernal processing and encryption for enterprise and work use. Data remains encrypted and isn't available to the other OS.

A second partition runs up to date and supported Android. Samsung and Google driven, Google could even have its search bar on the homescreen. Android Google play services run flawlessly, but no data mining of data within the work space is possible.

Hardware would be better utilized, as a second OS Skin wouldn't be taking up extra computing power at the same time as the native OS. Ram is much better utilized.

Specs for storage space would have to increase, with partitions available. 32GB minimum. This service could utilize soft sim technology BlackBerry has developed. BB10 for OS efficiency, reliability and security. Android for consumerism. Truly 2 phones in one device, for work life and personal.

At first when I tuned into this idea it seemed crazy, but then I remember another tech company that was against the ropes using bootcamp to welcome a rival OS on their laptops. Now that company is arguably the preferred vendor of laptops, and I see them all over as personal devices. Many users that bought the macbook using Bootcamp realized they really liked Apple's Linux based OS, and use that solely.

Any thoughts? Apples to Oranges or is it a prospect for true innovation?

 Q10 
    03-12-15 12:06 PM
    Its a good idea . But it would have to be minimum 64gb or at least allow to install apps from sd cards. Otherwise32 means 16gb per os which is not enough these days
    I like the idea of an always running both ecosystem able to switch between the two seamlessly without having to turn off the phone. One account for both. like my BlackBerry account automatically signs me up for Google account but the respective apps and list of apps only show up on the os its meant for ether than seeing a blended list of both wherever you look

But ppl will complain it will kill the BlackBerry ecosystem but to be fair BlackBerry pretty much did that themselves. You haves that are buggy and need updating or out-dated versus versions on other platforms.

I like the idea its kinda like if you install a android app launcher currently on a BlackBerry you get android menus and even access to settings . It looks like you running an android phone
    But ideally id just like native apps of popular things and if not smooth quick running android app that are stable don't crash my phone that give notifications , integrated and work around Google play services
    03-12-15 01:19 PM
    A second partition runs up to date and supported Android. Samsung and Google driven, Google could even have its search bar on the homescreen. Android Google play services run flawlessly, but no data mining of data within the work space is possible.
    They would need Google's permission to run Google Services.

Hardware would be better utilized, as a second OS Skin wouldn't be taking up extra computing power at the same time as the native OS. Ram is much better utilized.
    If the switch will be done at boot time, it will be impractical in my opinion, because BB 10 OS needs several minutes to be up and running. People are impatient these days, they don't want to lose 5 minutes just to be able to use an app they don't have on BB 10.
    03-12-15 01:36 PM
    They would need Google's permission to run Google Services.

If the switch will be done at boot time, it will be impractical in my opinion, because BB 10 OS needs several minutes to be up and running. People are impatient these days, they don't want to lose 5 minutes just to be able to use an app they don't have on BB 10.
    They would need acceptance into OHA, which has more requirements than just Google saying "Approved"

5 minutes, 5 seconds. People are way too impatient, would not surprise me that someone says soon that they were thinking of doing such and such and the Blackberry was not doing it already. Total fail. Time to close the doors. whaaaa whaaaa whaaaa
    03-12-15 01:45 PM
    What you are describing is running Android in VM not in multiboot. Yes I think that is a good idea in the future when hardware specs are better like if the Passport spec was the low end. You wouldn't have long delays in upgrading Android due to having it shoehorned into the runtime hack BB has going now. Mac users are very happy using Fusion or Parallels to run windows programs when they need to.
    03-12-15 01:46 PM