So in order to have a full browsing experience, I was wondering if there is an app or some way to block the ads on the browser. Like the extensions on chrome or Firefox.

Posted via CB10
    Jane Li likes this.
    04-05-13 10:51 PM
    no you can't block ads.. because no root on blackberry yet, and it's illegal..

if you wanna block ads:
    1. you must root your device, to edit host file
    2. after you rooted your device, you must edit your host file manual or using application that automatically patching your original host

correct me if i wrong

Posted via CB10
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    04-05-13 11:27 PM
    Illegal? No. Android and Firefox can block ads with a plug in. We just need some developer love here.

Posted via CB10
    rnhld, Grumblegrumble and xandros9 like this.
    04-05-13 11:39 PM
    Illegal? No. Android and Firefox can block ads with a plug in. We just need some developer love here.

Posted via CB10
    hmmm, good point, maybe just plug in were only work just on your browser..

best adblock for android is Adaway, if you dont rooted your device, you cant use that app.. My rooted S3 use that app.. with this app, you can block all ADS on your browser, on your all free Apps..

in my jailbreaked iphone, I use BaSic Adblocker, it can switched in SBSettings.. with this tweak, you can block all ADS on your browser, on your all free Apps..

the host file is under folder:
    ~root/etc/

we can access file only on (android)
    ~root/mount/device/
    ~root/mount/sdcard/

in iphone, without JB, we cant access file manager..

please use your logic:
    how to get access to folder ~/etc/ to overwrite host file if you dont have Administrator previllage (root & jailbreak)?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 04:13 AM
    So in order to have a full browsing experience, I was wondering if there is an app or some way to block the ads on the browser. Like the extensions on chrome or Firefox.

Posted via CB10
    At the moment, no but if you go into settings of the browser, you can block pop ups. Hopefully BB or a dev will make an app that can block ads in the browser.
    Matrix_Adi likes this.
    04-06-13 06:57 AM
    Without root, the only solution would be a dedicated browser wich blocks ads I think...
    04-07-13 09:02 AM
    You can block them on your router. Will only work for wifi though
    04-07-13 09:39 AM
    How about something like adblock plus? I use it as a plug in on my opera browser and my sister uses the official app on android. No rooting needed. Works great. Blocks most, if not all unnecessary ads.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 01:13 PM
    Or simply the possibility to import block lists like in IE 9&10.
    Elegant, and no addon needed.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 05:41 PM
    Do you realise the only revenue source for many websites is the very advertisements that you want to block?

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    04-08-13 02:27 AM
    Do you realise the only revenue source for many websites is the very advertisements that you want to block?

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    dont worry, you can copy source many ads from my iphone hosts by BaSic:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqjd5dyndl...SiC_for_iphone
    04-08-13 03:14 AM
    I not as much concerned about adds, as for tracking cookies and other spyware. The easy privacy list in AdBlock or Ghostery are taking care for this. If I could block known offenders via hosts file, will do in heartbeat.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 07:51 AM
    The BlackBerry OS 10 web browser can be configured to enable Private Browsing, to disable Popup Ads, and to disable Cookies all accessible from the Settings menu under the three-dots option.
    04-08-13 08:06 AM
    Yes, I know. However disabling ALL cookies ruins experience for legitimate sites as well and doesn't solve issue of the tracking web bugs, which use different mechanism.
    04-08-13 11:33 AM
    It would be awesome and great browsing experience to be able to have ad block on our native browser. I feel really oppressed while surfing on my Z10 compared to my laptop using Firefox.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 02:21 PM
    It would be awesome and great browsing experience to be able to have ad block on our native browser. I feel really oppressed while surfing on my Z10 compared to my laptop using Firefox.

Posted via CB10
    Hello,

Any up on this ? Do we know if it is possible to block ads on the native browser ?
    07-09-13 01:34 PM
    BlackBerry has missed the boat in terms of privacy and security features in the browser. It seems to be all or nothing, like in 1999.

The best solution I've found is to use Firefox. You get script and adblocking for a safer browsing experience.
    07-09-13 01:54 PM
    Is Firefox available for bb10? I don't think so...

Maybe are there some proxy servers able to block ads, it wouldn't be hard to configure a server like this because ads are coming from the same servers, a blacklist can be sufficient.

But using a proxy only for blocking ads is a bit like killing a fly with a panzer.
    07-10-13 04:42 AM
    Is Firefox available for bb10? I don't think so...

Maybe are there some proxy servers able to block ads, it wouldn't be hard to configure a server like this because ads are coming from the same servers, a blacklist can be sufficient.

But using a proxy only for blocking ads is a bit like killing a fly with a panzer.
    As usual, the best apps have to be sideloaded... :S
    I like the idea of a proxy, because you could also compress traffic

I can't wait for BB10 to be rooted so that we can install our own utilities or modify the hosts file.
    07-10-13 07:54 AM
    The app bgshellplus let's you do some minor poking around the OS. Maybe you can edit the hosts file. Any idea on the name of the file?

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 05:27 PM
    Like most file utilities, they probably only let you read the file. Imagine if an app had access to those sensitive files. It would be Windows 9x all over again and their dialers/malwares.
    07-13-13 05:44 PM
    Compressing data using a proxy is not really effective because a great portion of web traffic is already gzipped...

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 01:55 PM
    Evolution browser that was released yesterday let's you do this,its great.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 02:28 AM
    Evolution browser that was released yesterday let's you do this,its great.

Posted via CB10
    App Announcement:Evolution Web Browser with Ad Blocker - The ultra fast browser

BlackBerry World - Evolution Web Browser
    Last edited by SpencerNSO; 07-16-13 at 06:30 AM.
    07-16-13 06:19 AM
    If you are facing trouble while online surfing due to unwanted ads on your browser and looking for an solution to remove the popup ads then use manual process. It helped me to remove annoying pop-up ads from my browser, so you can also try out.
    11-29-14 06:42 AM
30 12