I think a general consensus is slowly taking over the CrackBerry forums. I know, who would've thought, all of us hooligans agreeing on something.

The belief is that while BB10 is a fabulous OS it is missing out on apps. For arguments sake lets say that over the near future BB10 closes the app gap on the top, "most wanted" apps (obviously not reaching the 800k+ apps).

Ok so the hypothetical situation is as follows:

- BB10 is a great OS
    - has the top apps that people want
    - but doesn't really have a motivating wow factor that will push users to leave their iOS and Android comfort zones.

As a fun/productive community exersize how about we try to come up with possible ideas that could work as real "eye opening" wow factor for the next generation of BB10 phones.

We have a smart group here in the CB forums.
    - engineers, developers, CS guys: you guys can help with the actual practicality and if its possible while everyone else can just come up with ideas.
    07-16-13 12:54 PM
    i was hoping the A10 would be the WOW factor but im not sure that is going to work out like that.
    07-16-13 12:57 PM
    i was hoping the A10 would be the WOW factor but im not sure that is going to work out like that.
    I know what you mean, but the difficult thing with hardware is that it really has to be something extraordinary/revolutionary (iPhone: touch screen interface). Nokia is now trying to something like this in the camera sector. I honestly don't know if there is anything left in the hardware region until someone comes across the next major step in mobile computing.

Everyone keeps asking for a wow factor but its hard to think of something completely new that's why I thought the more people we work together with the more creative we get.
    07-16-13 01:03 PM
    maybe take advantage of the reach/influence QNX has in the car infotainment but deeply integrating BB10 and its features that no other phone can do? or something a long those lines? idk, I'm just spit ballin
    BigRob673 likes this.
    07-16-13 01:20 PM
    along with some kind of combination of DLNA and a Bridge type software to go between BB10 phones and all future QNX powered cars?
    bquinney and BigRob673 like this.
    07-16-13 01:26 PM
    Focus on small businesses more and deliver hardware quicker. The "King" has to be delivered quicker than March next year...
    07-16-13 01:27 PM
    Come up with some kind of prototype that shows off transparent distributed processing.
    toobs623 likes this.
    07-16-13 01:30 PM
    .... The "King" has to be delivered quicker than March next year...
    With a title like "King"... they must have something special planned because that's being rather boisterous lol
    07-16-13 01:33 PM
    I think Blackberry had just not the capabilities and capacity to make the next hardware wow factor to happen.

They should focus more on the software. And make this better. Go more to the customers. Listen to them. Focus on business. Not consumers. And do all around MDM and security and high availability. To maintain their gold standard core competences.

And win back areas which they gave up or lost: battery power, ease of use, rock solid
    BB10QNX likes this.
    07-16-13 01:46 PM
    The wow would be that kernel of the OS that demonstrates the OS is 'the laptop killer'. Hardware is generally meaningless in terms of BBRY making itself stand out, what will wow people is showing them how this little phone and it's OS will free them, help them drop 10 pounds, move them through the airport checkin faster, and be free to pick and move anywhere without loosing anything. Leave the office, pick up in the cab, at the airport and on the plane, adjusting to each monitor style and resolution to provide optimal visual interfaces. Use the phone as a keyboard and mouse, when full sized aren't available. And go back to where they first made it a must have device, corporations will see immediate value, replacing all those PCs with the phone and keep employees connected no matter where they are. Sure not everything will run on mobile computer, but for those situations and specialized needs then you'll still have PC's. 99.9% of what I need to get done at work can be done using a Citrix Reciver App. BBRY making Mobile truely Mobile!!
    07-16-13 01:57 PM
    I agree. I keep telling everyone the masses dont know specs, but I'm not the masses and was looking forward to the Quad core being utilized by QNX. The 1080 display not a big deal to me you can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720 at that size (GS4, HTC One, Iphone 5, Z10 all look the same).
    07-16-13 02:02 PM
    With a title like "King"... they must have something special planned because that's being rather boisterous lol
    I have high hopes!
    07-16-13 02:06 PM
    A10 is going to be a flop, to bad the dim witts at Blackberry don't get it. To them they're releasing a stellar device pushing the envelope of development. Offering something special. Oh wait essentially it's just a bigger Z10 and we all know how well that is selling.

The time the A10 is released it will be nothing more than a mid range phone to the rest of the market. Blackberry will be promoting it as their flagship device but it will be falling way back to the rest of the market yet again...Just remember the Iphone 5s will be coming out around the same time the A10 hits, so far the specs leaked etc there is no WOW..
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    07-16-13 02:28 PM
    The wow would be that kernel of the OS that demonstrates the OS is 'the laptop killer'. Hardware is generally meaningless in terms of BBRY making itself stand out, what will wow people is showing them how this little phone and it's OS will free them, help them drop 10 pounds, move them through the airport checkin faster, and be free to pick and move anywhere without loosing anything. Leave the office, pick up in the cab, at the airport and on the plane, adjusting to each monitor style and resolution to provide optimal visual interfaces. Use the phone as a keyboard and mouse, when full sized aren't available. And go back to where they first made it a must have device, corporations will see immediate value, replacing all those PCs with the phone and keep employees connected no matter where they are. Sure not everything will run on mobile computer, but for those situations and specialized needs then you'll still have PC's. 99.9% of what I need to get done at work can be done using a Citrix Reciver App. BBRY making Mobile truely Mobile!!
    I think this is a fantastic idea and is somewhat similar to what TH was kind of hinting at when talking about the future of tablets and where he sees the next step in mobile computing. This would be somewhat similar to all of those "futuristic" videos have. For example:

Obviously that is ridiculous and unrealistic but the idea of basically taking over the basic computer and replacing it with the phone and simply using different displays, docks, ports and other delivery systems which integrate your entire digital life into one device is pretty brilliant.
    07-16-13 02:32 PM
    I think this is a fantastic idea and is somewhat similar to what TH was kind of hinting at when talking about the future of tablets and where he sees the next step in mobile computing. This would be somewhat similar to all of those "futuristic" videos have. For example:

Obviously that is ridiculous and unrealistic but the idea of basically taking over the basic computer and replacing it with the phone and simply using different displays, docks, ports and other delivery systems which integrate your entire digital life into one device is pretty brilliant.
    TAT has their own future concept.

07-16-13 02:40 PM
    they should have expanded BIS rather than moving to kill it off.

They could have started to offer and publicize "NSA proof" communications and warped BlackBerry Messenger (and groups and what not) into more secure, more controlled environments. they could have offered a hardened handset configuration certified in such a way like - if you leave it in this configuration and install only verified software (that we will certify) we guarantee that communications in transit cannot be recovered and the endpoints difficult to attack.

they could have offered very flexible privacy features on groups and messages - allowing to post something and a privacy setting guaranteeing that another particular person won't see it. - allowing you to make sure that there is no way to recover your connection to another person (Facebook is annoying in that it suggests to your wife that she may know your various ex girlfriends and it doesn't allow you to firewall off those various relationships, or groups of coworkers getting suggested that they know people at rival companies through me, and so on)

blackberry still had (rightly or wrongly) a reputation for security and they should expand and push that particularly in these times where the NSA is mentioned every other news story.
    sonic_reducer likes this.
    07-16-13 02:43 PM
    sorry MasterofBinary for some reason my work network won't let me watch the video.

But in my mind I honestly believe the future of all computing will be cross platform connectivity and I mean more than just apps and such. Entire OS softwares will have to be able to mesh and coexist not only with each other but with the rest of our digital lives (obviously distant future). But we are heading to the point where everything needs to have the ability to connect and seamless work together as one device.

From buying bus tickets, checking in at airports, to paying for things such as taxis, restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores everything will be done through our mobile device because they are essentially the ideal size (fit in pockets and in one hand).
    07-16-13 02:50 PM
    I'd just say have better specs on the A10 give the consumers what they want. The leaked specs are brutal so far except for the Quad processor. To be honest I think 720p is completely fine but they should supplement it with a huge battery to kill everyone in the battery life category. My Q10 battery life is already a wow factor to most people. BEEF UP THAT A10!!!!!!

10.2 so far is getting to be really good. They are catching up and surpassing the competition on a new OS which is amazing. They are also polishing off the OS as well. By the time 10.2 is in full swing it will be a WOW factor along with key lime. 10.3 Would be more of a WOW factor OS in my opinion. I know we shouldn't be saying TAT :P, but hopefully they get unleashed soon. Blackberry keeps on talking about cascades but they aren't really showing the true power of it yet. Settings is now in cascades at least but seems like they could do much better and more options and more sub categories need to be introduced. Let people personalize their phones not just wallpaper and apps.
    07-16-13 02:51 PM
    I'm really interested to see what the next step is in 3 major OSs. I say three because its iOS, Android, and WP/BB!0 count as a half each, right now anyways.

Ya specs will keep getting better but all of these companys are converging not diverging when it comes to the user experience. (Fantastic Mobile Nations article My OS is better than your OS - Talk Mobile | CrackBerry.com)

So the next revolutionary step will be exciting to see but they key is what will BB's situation be when that next step is taken?
    Hopefully they will be the ones taking that next step first, similar to Apple and the iPhone
    07-16-13 03:00 PM
    Like I've been saying if Blackberry would bring back the touchpad and scrollwheel you would have the very best professional device bar none.

What people don't realize about touchscreens is that they aren't as efficient as you are covering the screen with your hand and fingers breaking the flow just as a mouse and keyboard will always be better for professional work because you don't cover what you're working on. The top end devices should have these unique hardware features geared towards professionals.

If not then Blackberry should just give up making their own full touch devices with nothing unique and just buy LG devices to load BB10 on to sell directly.
    07-16-13 03:02 PM
    Everyone talks about the A10 and specs, but do you think that is the only version of the A10 floating around? The one we saw pictures of? They build all sorts of phones to test\play with.
    07-16-13 03:17 PM
    @matt4pack
    while I see what you are saying, I think the consumer perception on scroll wheels and trackpads is that is a very antiquated form of technology.

and when it comes to device/hardware uniqueness that's where the Q10 and Q5 come in along with the A10 because it will be the only mainstream 5" non-Android phone out there. As far as I can remember off the top of my head there are no 5" WP out there.
    07-16-13 03:18 PM
    Everyone talks about the A10 and specs, but do you think that is the only version of the A10 floating around? The one we saw pictures of? They build all sorts of phones to test\play with.
    While I agree there are probably multiple versions out there for testing and what not, historically speaking with BlackBerry these kind of leaks turn out to be accurate, give or take a few specs here and there
    07-16-13 03:21 PM
    I believe as long as BlackBerry A10 can connect the computer monitor and use as the desktop computer with the power of the desktop they can sell millions.
    07-16-13 03:32 PM
    @matt4pack
    while I see what you are saying, I think the consumer perception on scroll wheels and trackpads is that is a very antiquated form of technology.

and when it comes to device/hardware uniqueness that's where the Q10 and Q5 come in along with the A10 because it will be the only mainstream 5" non-Android phone out there. As far as I can remember off the top of my head there are no 5" WP out there.
    I guess consumer perception should also be that the mouse and keyboard are antiquated technology then yet almost everyone still works using them.

Why does it matter if you can also use the touchscreen to do everything just like iOS and Android as well? The only reason they felt antiquated on previous devices is because BBOS was antiquated and not because those unique hardware features were antiquated.

My laptop still has a trackpad and my mouse still has a scroll wheel. Are those antiquated because we have touchscreens? This is where BB is screwing themselves by going after the consumer market when they should be catering to professionals.
    07-16-13 03:37 PM
36 12