With the new Apk direct installation option, I can't help but wonder what is BlackBerry's long term game plan?

I do think it's a good play to deter people from going with a Windows phone, and I know it keeps most of us app junkies already on the platform very happy, but how does it help the company make money when less apps are being purchased on BlackBerry world.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had some thoughts or insight I might have over looked.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 06:10 PM
    I assume they ultimately would want to be distributing apk's right from bbworld.

Sent from my Z30
    11-24-13 06:11 PM
    Interesting. I guess developers would just submit their native android apps for BlackBerry approvals?

I guess if they can't bring the developers to bb10 then bring bb10 to the developer's.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 06:19 PM
    I'm just hoping they aren't slowly converting to andriod. Cuz the new call screen looks android, swiping the icon in the lock screen is andriod. And running andriod apps..

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 08:38 PM
    I would have them distribute APK's directly from the Blackberry World. Have developers send them the same code that they send to Google. That way, BB customers who are less sophisticated, can search in a single place and get the best of both Bar's or Apk's all from BB. It lets Blacberry give its seal of approval. If we need to do something off Blackberry World - it is at our own risk.

in the end, we might see a flood of Android apps to the Blackberry World
    11-24-13 10:04 PM
    I assume they ultimately would want to be distributing apk's right from bbworld.

Sent from my Z30
    I think that's going to happen sooner rather than later. It'll have a greater impact and benefit if they do. For many users, there's a big difference between going to bbw to grab an android app versus loading it from another app store. Unless I'm missing something, why go somewhere else to get the apk? It would bring more traffic and perhaps more incentive for devs to port.
    11-25-13 04:42 AM
    The rules still stay the same regarding submissions and I think it should stay that way.

Not just any android port should make its way over.

That's what those other stores are for

Android devs interested in putting their apps on BlackBerry world need to convert it to a bar file and meet whatever standard they require.
    11-25-13 05:10 AM
    Maybe they will make BlackBerry App World available on android phones like 1 mobile market, amazon store, etc. The store could just detect what phone you are using and if you have an android only show android apps. This would give android developers incentive to submit in 1 place and hit 2 devices. It would also continue on with their cross platform route and allow more brand awareness on the heals of BBM.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 06:40 PM
    I think BlackBerry shouldn't allow apk files into the BlackBerry store unless in bar format. They should allow apk files to be installed how it is right now on 10.2.1. If possible BlackBerry should keep track of how many times a specific apk is loaded and try to convince the developer - with stats in hand - to build and charge for native BlackBerry apps in bar format. I know I'd pay a reasonable amount of money for a "built for bb" app like Instagram, vine, and viber.
    11-25-13 07:34 PM
    I think BlackBerry shouldn't allow apk files into the BlackBerry store unless in bar format. They should allow apk files to be installed how it is right now on 10.2.1. If possible BlackBerry should keep track of how many times a specific apk is loaded and try to convince the developer - with stats in hand - to build and charge for native BlackBerry apps in bar format. I know I'd pay a reasonable amount of money for a "built for bb" app like Instagram, vine, and viber.
    Exactly, but they can do that while allowing APKs too. Just keep those apps segregated. I'm not saying it should be a free for all, but I do think it's important to have the apks on Blackberry World, so that users who aren't savvy can just search and install them.

Increasing traffic to Blackberry World, along with improvements in the ease of portability, will convince more developers to port.

Either way, lack of apps is one of the big knocks against Blackberry. It's mentioned in every review. It's far from perfect, but this does go a long way to REDUCING (not closing - because that cannot be done) the app gap. As I've said before, it won't drive swarms of Android users to switch, but each one counts. Someone sitting on the fence, might go for a Z30 or whatever if he/she knows they can also get a large percentage of Android apps to work. If the sales rep shows a prospect a BB10 phone with Android apps running on it, that could overcome an important objection. But even if it doesn't cause many to switch, it is a very good benefit for existing BB10 users and will persuade some who are thinking of switching due to apps to STAY. Retention of the precious few BB10 users is extremely important. Can't believe anyone sees this as a negative or unimportant. it's a big plus. Not a game changer, but it sure as hell can't hurt.
    11-26-13 10:57 PM