OP - can I make a suggestion?

The suggestions you make are good, but I'd be extremely careful about how you approach the development team if you want them to listen.

Think about it: if someone came to you, and started ranting and raving about how "Everything in this OS seems half a**ed", most people naturally get defensive or tune out because they feel they're being attacked. If you take the approach that some have here about how "everything is awful in every way, all the time and under every circumstance", you'll likely get nowhere except to be viewed like a ranter.

Instead, I'd recommend a subtler approach. Talk about what you like about each app (and yes, I know you'll have to dig for some things like Link), talk about improvements you'd like to see that would help you or things you've really liked on other platforms and why you like them. Then also get into some areas where you'd stalled because of defects, usability. Don't dictate a solution but perhaps offer suggestions.

It's an art, but trust me ... if you go into a meeting with a bunch of proud engineers and start yelling at them about how everything is crap, you're going to get nowhere.
    This ^^^.
    You are in a very envied position being able to talk to Blackberry devs, while taking their precious programming time, in person. Be very grateful of that. I always try to make a point of introducing 2 positives for every negative when trying to light a fire under someone's arse. Make comments on the great progress while making value-added "suggestions" on improvements. The tone of your presentation is crucial, whether you like it or not. Also, be prepared, bring a well organized and informed document for them to take back and look at. Perhaps document the list of suggestions within this thread, then do some Crackberry polls on which are the most important. Perspective is mandatory for devs, and sometimes when you're deep into code, you lose it. It's important to get the creative juices flowing by not only explaining where improvements are necessary, but WHY they are necessary. As if finding that perfect blend of persuasion with information isn't tough enough, try to be concise. After all, we need those devs back in front of their machines sipping Mountain Dew and eating Hot Pockets until BB regains some market share back.

Good luck, and please post your meeting experience!
    06-27-14 11:53 AM
    Legitimate grips!

Contacts & Calendar are an embarrassment.

Q10SQN100-2/10.2.1.2174
    06-27-14 11:59 AM
    I agree that a lot of the core apps need work.

For me I would just like them to fix the contacts bugs, fix text messaging and add text prediction to the browser.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    06-27-14 12:43 PM
    Support open vpn.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 12:51 PM
    Link does not back up sd card. I can't see a reason why it would have to anyways.

You can go to ny computer then go to thesd card then copy and paste the folders if want to back them up.

Ive actually been taking taking out my sd card to put my musoc on it since link doesnt let you choose to sync to sd card. The only issue with that is I don't know how to make that. M3u playlist type folder so I have to manually do it on my phone.
    Or I use file manager and copy and paste it onto my sd card frpm my computer.

Posted via CB10
    Well then you probably should explain to that to the CB member. All I was doing was giving another thing to discuss during your meeting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-27-14 02:51 PM
    Supa_Fly1 kindly grab your hands on youtube app on iphone. The overall experience is so much faster and better (better caching too ) than browsing the youtube mobile site.
    Please plase don't make this a non-issue because it is!
    I've used the iOS Youtube app; over 4yrs on and off; I still have an iPhone 5 presently to use a few apps I must have.

Caching is better ONLY because when your clear them in the browser their NIT cleared in the YouTube app. BB10 equal solution would be to invoke a separate browser instance that behaves, and responds to its own user invoked commands separately. BB10 browser STILL loads content much faster than ios7 Youtube app. Try loading content longer than 15mins in length and you'll see.

Better as in?? That word with now specific definition is too opinionated and cannot be qualifiable nor quantified for rebuttal by either of us or anyone lol. Need something juicy here. Plus I'd rather not overwhelm BlackBerry with needless or less important development than what we all really need considering another 65 native developers have been let go. This seems like it was done for no Damn reason based kn no leader for a particular arm when they could've been consolidated. This is the work of an Axe man not a saviour.

Browser
    - switch to mobile/desktop mode from overflow menu (similar to android)
    - load adobe flash plugin on demand (similar to android)
    - keep history per tab even on browser close or tab reload (similar to ios)
    - improve memory management (inactive tabs are being cleared from memory)
    - optimize cpu usage
    - instant forward and backward when moving from history in a tab (same as ios)

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    06-27-14 11:05 PM
    This ^^^.
    You are in a very envied position being able to talk to Blackberry devs, while taking their precious programming time, in person. Be very grateful of that. I always try to make a point of introducing 2 positives for every negative when trying to light a fire under someone's arse. Make comments on the great progress while making value-added "suggestions" on improvements. The tone of your presentation is crucial, whether you like it or not. Also, be prepared, bring a well organized and informed document for them to take back and look at. Perhaps document the list of suggestions within this thread, then do some Crackberry polls on which are the most important. Perspective is mandatory for devs, and sometimes when you're deep into code, you lose it. It's important to get the creative juices flowing by not only explaining where improvements are necessary, but WHY they are necessary. As if finding that perfect blend of persuasion with information isn't tough enough, try to be concise. After all, we need those devs back in front of their machines sipping Mountain Dew and eating Hot Pockets until BB regains some market share back.

Good luck, and please post your meeting experience!
    I think these two posts are ESSENTIAL to moving all ideas posted here for BB10 improvements going forward!!
    Bolded/Purple highlight ... if you have a great compilation of all the great suggestions within this thread ... maybe even having a few people at the ready on BBM Video Screen Sharing (a tool I find incredible essential for corporate support you'd be amazed at the oohs and aaah's I've received) then you could SHOW the BB staff where these improvements are needed and WHY to improve productivity, efficiency even delight existing and new users to BB10 alike
    06-28-14 01:30 PM
    BBM Video Screen Sharing:

New feature (BES10 users initially)
    - Controlling the other users Screen by Request
    - Allowing Limited Time Control (5/10/15mins)
    - no Application Deletions, no Application Settings Changes,
    - Allow System Settings adjustments (maybe have a beta thread as to what can/cannot be changed)
    - BES10 users as recipients for device control,
    - BES10 Administrators (of a certain level) to take control and make adjustments over BBM Video Screen Sharing.
    06-28-14 01:33 PM
    I have one request that I haven't seen mentioned: make dates clickable. When I get an email that mentions a date, eg June 30, 2014, I want to see the date as a hyperlink. Then clicking on the hyperlink would open the Calendar on that date, so I could set up an appointment.

IOS has this feature, so why not a 'business phone'? I've posted about this on Beta Zone, but no luck so far.

Good luck with the meeting.

Posted via CB10
    Blomsternisse and Vorkosigan like this.
    06-30-14 07:19 AM
    What about adding some in house socmed apps : path, instagram, etc

BlackBerry please put more devs to fix these little thingies.

Posted via CB10
    with the dev team laying off people and saying they are going to stick with enterprise It's highly unlikely for them to make those main stream apps. We need to rely on our 3rd party devs for that type of thing.

The only way people will like it is if it is reversed engineered or if the company itself gives the dev the full APIs to build the app under their name.
    06-30-14 12:02 PM
    OP - can I make a suggestion?

The suggestions you make are good, but I'd be extremely careful about how you approach the development team if you want them to listen.

Think about it: if someone came to you, and started ranting and raving about how "Everything in this OS seems half a**ed", most people naturally get defensive or tune out because they feel they're being attacked. If you take the approach that some have here about how "everything is awful in every way, all the time and under every circumstance", you'll likely get nowhere except to be viewed like a ranter.

Instead, I'd recommend a subtler approach. Talk about what you like about each app (and yes, I know you'll have to dig for some things like Link), talk about improvements you'd like to see that would help you or things you've really liked on other platforms and why you like them. Then also get into some areas where you'd stalled because of defects, usability. Don't dictate a solution but perhaps offer suggestions.

It's an art, but trust me ... if you go into a meeting with a bunch of proud engineers and start yelling at them about how everything is crap, you're going to get nowhere.
    I do have a lot of pros actually so I am going to try to be more subbtle when I talk to them but I just didn't want to say it in here

it is a really good point. I'm only going to be talking about main issues so a lot that I even put I probably won't even say but I will print off a page of features "missing" since I only have 1 hour.

thanks a lot for your input
    06-30-14 12:06 PM
    BBM Video Screen Sharing:

New feature (BES10 users initially)
    - Controlling the other users Screen by Request
    - Allowing Limited Time Control (5/10/15mins)
    - no Application Deletions, no Application Settings Changes,
    - Allow System Settings adjustments (maybe have a beta thread as to what can/cannot be changed)
    - BES10 users as recipients for device control,
    - BES10 Administrators (of a certain level) to take control and make adjustments over BBM Video Screen Sharing.
    this would actually be a powerful feature for enterprise. I can print this off and give it to them in hopes of them giving it to the BBM team but as far as i know of it's a completely different sector of BlackBerry now.
    06-30-14 12:10 PM
    I have one request that I haven't seen mentioned: make dates clickable. When I get an email that mentions a date, eg June 30, 2014, I want to see the date as a hyperlink. Then clicking on the hyperlink would open the Calendar on that date, so I could set up an appointment.

IOS has this feature, so why not a 'business phone'? I've posted about this on Beta Zone, but no luck so far.

Good luck with the meeting.

Posted via CB10
    very useful for productivity. Emails, phone numbers and addresses are hyperlinked there is no reason why date isn't either.
    06-30-14 12:12 PM
    I would like the ability to make a remember note right from the hub. Right now I have to flag something, then open remember and then find the flagged note. Also - it disappears if I hit the limit for how long I'm keeping email on my device.

I'd like to just be able to make a note that references the email and file it where I want in remember right from the hub.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 09:45 AM
    I would like the ability to make a remember note right from the hub. Right now I have to flag something, then open remember and then find the flagged note. Also - it disappears if I hit the limit for how long I'm keeping email on my device.

I'd like to just be able to make a note that references the email and file it where I want in remember right from the hub.

Posted via CB10
    I do think there should be better remember/calendar implementation in the HUB
    07-01-14 11:11 PM
    Protect protect protect. We need full featured BlackBerry protect like we did on legacy devices.

I will keep repeating this because when I had to reload the OS (I couldn't turn on my phone anymore) I only had an old update, so most of my contacts, passwords etc where all gone. Blackberry says bb10 is the mobile computing experience, but needing a pc/mac to backup every time doesn't really turn out as a mobile computing experience. I bought my bb10 device so that I don't have to turn on my laptop anymore. And what if I am on the road and I need to backup?

Protect is a very important feature and how we have it now, it's pretty much useless. It doesn't have to backup the *whole* phone like link does, but only the important settings: calendar, contacts, wifi profiles, passwords, bookmarks and remember entries.

**edit: I don't want to use 3rd party apps simply because I don't trust them.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 04:21 AM
    Protect protect protect. We need full featured BlackBerry protect like we did on legacy devices.

I will keep repeating this because when I had to reload the OS (I couldn't turn on my phone anymore) I only had an old update, so most of my contacts, passwords etc where all gone. Blackberry says bb10 is the mobile computing experience, but needing a pc/mac to backup every time doesn't really turn out as a mobile computing experience. I bought my bb10 device so that I don't have to turn on my laptop anymore. And what if I am on the road and I need to backup?

Protect is a very important feature and how we have it now, it's pretty much useless. It doesn't have to backup the *whole* phone like link does, but only the important settings: calendar, contacts, wifi profiles, passwords, bookmarks and remember entries.

**edit: I don't want to use 3rd party apps simply because I don't trust them.

Posted via CB10
    Calendar and Contacts can be synced with email accounts.

Passwords can be backed up with Password Keeper (a BlackBerry app, not third party).

Remember entries can be synced to EAS accounts.

WiFi profiles are seriously a non-issue and can be remade easily; I mean seriously, just how many WiFi profiles do you have?

Bookmarks on the other hand I completely agree with. I do wish there was a cloud sync for bookmarks.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 04:41 AM
    Calendar and Contacts can be synced with email accounts.

Passwords can be backed up with Password Keeper (a BlackBerry app, not third party).

Remember entries can be synced to EAS accounts.

WiFi profiles are seriously a non-issue and can be remade easily; I mean seriously, just how many WiFi profiles do you have?

Bookmarks on the other hand I completely agree with. I do wish there was a cloud sync for bookmarks.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I know.. but seriously.. 3 different ways to sync or backup? That's not efficient at all. Don't want 3 different ways to sync or backup with 3 different accounts. I have 25 wifi profiles from friends and family, so I think that's a lot. I just want one simple auto backup to bb's save cloud.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 05:05 AM
    I'm meeting up with BlackBerry's Product Information Development Team here in Waterloo next month.
    Would you mind sharing the reason for that meeting? What's the agenda? Who will be there? Just curious.

Thanks for compiling all that ideas and issues, hope you'll find a lot of open minds there!
    07-03-14 03:20 AM
    Would you mind sharing the reason for that meeting? What's the agenda? Who will be there? Just curious.

Thanks for compiling all that ideas and issues, hope you'll find a lot of open minds there!
    Can't really say who im meeting with since at the beginning of the email it said keep it confidential.

But on july 9th I have a meeting at the waterloo building for 1 hour.

I got a buddy to set me up with one.

Posted via CB10
    endevour likes this.
    07-03-14 08:54 AM
    Well I really wish you well and hope that the meeting goes well.

I do agree with a lot of things mentioned so I won't get into the issues.

My recommendation as others have is:

1. Provide a focused list preferably in a prioritized manner. They don't have unlimited resources as we all know.

2. Thank them for an amazing OS.

3. And I know you will speak well but don't let your zeal and desire for the OS to improve control your tone or body language negatively.

Good Luck and I am sure you are report back after.

G

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) and dibbis like this.
    07-03-14 09:31 AM
    OMG, there is someone here, who can bring these problems to BlackBerry, or RIM if they like.

Ummm, maybe if they listen, it may not just be the common clients they may lose, but the entire enterprise dept, as android and iOS advances.

The majority don't realise, this OS10 itself a beta, a bit like MS Vista.

I have may fingers crossed, that BB don't jump from MS Vista straight to MS Win8.1, and get it ironed out this time.
    Lose the head that failed BB PlayBook, something I'd like to see, make a comeback.

jtvberry
    07-05-14 04:29 AM
    OMG, there is someone here, who can bring these problems to BlackBerry, or RIM if they like.

Ummm, maybe if they listen, it may not just be the common clients they may lose, but the entire enterprise dept, as android and iOS advances.

The majority don't realise, this OS10 itself a beta, a bit like MS Vista.

I have may fingers crossed, that BB don't jump from MS Vista straight to MS Win8.1, and get it ironed out this time.
    Lose the head that failed BB PlayBook, something I'd like to see, make a comeback.

jtvberry
    I doubt they will listen to everything I have to say but im going to go in with a positive attitude and will try

I have a buddy who got me this meeting and he will be more then happy to back me up.

Posted via CB10
    endevour likes this.
    07-05-14 09:00 AM
    What's really confusing, is they do carry on like part timers on the job.

Two of the biggest and best cooperates/companies in my mind, are BlackBerry and Microsoft, that works with all companies in the world and important.

Why are they making themselves look second rate with such first class products.

I want them back on top where they should be, and if their not, please ask them to just tell us.
    The days of pulling the wool over the customers eyes are over and it will kill off the company

jtvberry
    07-05-14 09:45 AM
    Something like what the bankers are doing, is what bb and the developers need to do.
    Sort it out, that's what it is.

jtvberry
    07-08-14 01:02 AM
125 ... 2345