By the end of this month Im going to buy a Passport and now I think about what to do with my Z10. Selling would bring me just about $100 so my idea is using it as an alternativ to chromecast / mediacenter / firetv.

I would try to do this:
    • get a Dockingstation and have the Z10 permanently connected to my AV Receiver via HDMI
    • install xbmc (now kodi), teamviewer, spotify, netflix, sykpe
    • get a bluetooth mouse and keyboard
    • audio and video files are stored on a harddisk that is connected to the WiFi router (N-Draft)

What I think I could use it for:
    • browsing the web on TV
    • streamin music with spotify, movies with netflix
    • stream pics / music / videos from Passport to xbmc on the phone
    • use xbmc to stream videos / music from harddisk connected to the WiFi router
    • using teamviewer to help family and friends
    • skyping (with bluetooth headset)
    • maybe reading and answering some emails

My Questions:
    • has anybody tried something like this yet?
    • xbmc or plex? do you have a favourite?
    • which bluetooth keyboard / mouse can you recommend?
    • do you think i might get a problem with the rotation? the device would be in landscape position all the time, but the homescreen should be the only 'problem' I think?
    • can I use the passport as a spotify remote?
    • is the Passports 'play on' feature working with xbmc on the Z10? i think it should be.
    • how about the screen timer? can I wake the device via mouse / keyboard / Passport?
    • do you have more ideas?

I know, a real chromecast / fireTV / mediacenter pc could eventually do much more and is more optimized for this kind of stuff, but I have the Z10 and it is to good to throw away but not worthy enough to sell. AND I always have a spare device if I would eventually need one!
    01-10-15 07:37 AM
    I disagree that a chrome cast could do more. Seems like a decent idea to make a non-smart tv into a smart tv for very little out of pocket costs to you.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 01-11-15 at 03:07 PM.
    01-10-15 12:28 PM
    I loaded the Android version of Kodi on my Z10. It doesn't work. Or it is so laggy that it is unusable.

If you are just going to play videos, Avplayer will be OK. I have a PC running XMBC (old version of Kodi). The deal with the program is the add ons, and they don't seem to load on the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 01:58 PM
    Thanks for your replies! Laggy xbmc sounds bad but I will try the alternative you mentioned!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 03:00 PM
    Thanks for your replies! Laggy xbmc sounds bad but I will try the alternative you mentioned!

Posted via CB10
    The deal with Kodi for most people is the plug-ins. This is if you want to stream video. The plug-ins simplify the task. You get a plugin for each service ("Funny or Die" for example.) if you are just going to download videos, the Avplayer should work. There is a pro version as well. Maybe it has a remote control.

One bug I found with the Avplayer is you need to rotate the phone to fit the form factor of the video. That is, wide screen will be fine. Sometimes 4:3 needs a vertical phone orientation.

I'd say play with the free one first. If it looks promising, contact the developer with issues. If you get no response, don't bother with the pro version.

Posted via CB10
    ATV_Hightower likes this.
    01-11-15 10:11 PM
    I had the same idea. On my z10, so far so good. I have zero experience with Kodi, and it took a bit to figure it out, but seems to be working fine.

However, I seems that the option of using a Bluetooth keyboard/touch pad, Sucks. The playbook keyboard does not allow mouse clicks in Android apps.)(appearently no Bluetooth mouse clicks are allowed)

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 06:16 PM
    Why not just buy a Raspberry Pi and install Kodi/OSMC/XBMC?
    Then use you Z10 as a remote for kodi...

I'm using OSMC on my Pi and store all my downloads on my PC. It's plays full HD 3D movies perfectly! (20GB full HD)
    And I use my Z3, which is just a phone I bought and never used, to control OSMC on the Pi, my LG 3D tv and my LG soundbar... all android apps, but it works perfectly fine

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 
    rthonpm likes this.
    03-15-16 07:31 PM
    I've been using OpenELEC (bootable Kodi distro) on a Raspberry Pi for about a year, and it's great. My Q10 works as the remote and all of my media from my PC share drives is accessible and ready at a moment's notice.

Posted via CB10
    Erik_1991 likes this.
    03-16-16 06:02 AM
    Jup! And because of the low power use of the Pi, I mounted it on the backplate of my TV and it only reboots (automatically) when it receives an update that requires so... so instant access to the Pi... no boot waiting times #AlwaysOn

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 
    03-16-16 07:11 AM