... bb10 to the dumpster? .....and yet by comparison Tizen lives? What gives? (minus all the its an electronics, Phone and TV giant excuse)
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...er_worst_ever/
    Samsung has the spare cash in their couch cushions to waste on such a project.

What more do you need to know?
    01-15-19 06:57 PM
    Well in this thread I'm not necessarily advocating BB paid-for enhancements to BB10...while I believe somebody has the pockets to do this...nobody seems to have anything between the pockets to actually execute it.

What I am advocating for is the public availability of the tools/docs/keys for bb10 beyond the announced closure of BBW, that's quite a difference between the two things being discussed (dumpstering it all, or leaving it available with no announced enhancements, or new hardware (for now)).
    Sure, you can advocate for it on these forums. But that won't make it happen. There is no way that BlackBerry is going to make anything available to the public unless someone pays for it.

If we're advocating for things, I'd like to advocate for the world to stop all military spending and instead solve the carbon problem and preserve enough wild areas to ensure sufficient biodiversity to sustain human life on earth long into the future. But advocating for a vision isn't a plan, which requires resources, partners and policies to actually implement.

Just because something is an interesting, or even a good, idea doesn't mean it will happen in the real world.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    ppeters914 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    01-15-19 09:24 PM
    Sure, you can advocate for it on these forums. But that won't make it happen. There is no way that BlackBerry is going to make anything available to the public unless someone pays for it.

If we're advocating for things, I'd like to advocate for the world to stop all military spending and instead solve the carbon problem and preserve enough wild areas to ensure sufficient biodiversity to sustain human life on earth long into the future. But advocating for a vision isn't a plan, which requires resources, partners and policies to actually implement.

Just because something is an interesting, or even a good, idea doesn't mean it will happen in the real world.

In the spirit of the responses recieved, I cannot resist:
    No ones stopping you from starting a zoological and botanical garden to solve those problems. Go for it.....otherwise give up, and join the Armed Forces, you won't survive financially otherwise.
    01-15-19 10:01 PM
    No ones stopping you from starting a zoological and botanical garden to solve those problems. Go for it.....otherwise give up, and join the Armed Forces, you won't survive financially otherwise.
    I doubt the Armed Forces would accept you... Arkham Asylum, maybe? 😉
    01-15-19 11:36 PM
    I doubt the Armed Forces would accept you... Arkham Asylum, maybe? ������
    Well I'm glad they Armed Forces still have some kind of standards. Perhaps I should have clarified.....join the Android Army.
    01-16-19 04:10 AM
    I doubt the Armed Forces would accept you... Arkham Asylum, maybe? ������
    Well I'm glad they (Armed Forces) still have some kind of standards. Perhaps I should have clarified.....join the Android Army.
    01-16-19 04:10 AM
    Apples vs oranges.
    It's a bit like what is happening with BBOS (BB7) - those phones require that the CARRIER be supplying BIS - if the carrier DROPS BIS, then you cannot use the phone.
    Do you mean SIM (carrier) locked phones ? As so far I used al least 2 BB7 phones (SIM ulocked) (9790 and 9900) on a carrier without BIS and they both worked well , no email/BBWorld of course.
    01-16-19 07:43 AM
    That's an interesting analogy. I would say that an individual starting a garden will have about the same impact on climate change, the present mass extinction event, and the survival of human civilization as your advocacy for BB10 will have on its continuance (i.e., none).

ppeters914 and pdr733 like this.
    01-16-19 08:49 AM
    Do you mean SIM (carrier) locked phones ? As so far I used al least 2 BB7 phones (SIM ulocked) (9790 and 9900) on a carrier without BIS and they both worked well , no email/BBWorld of course.
    Well, that's my point: NO EMAIL/BBWorld.
    I guess I should say that I seldom use my PRIV as a PHONE - for me it's a portable computer / text / email platform.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    01-16-19 09:03 AM
    Well, that's my point: NO EMAIL/BBWorld.
    I guess I should say that I seldom use my PRIV as a PHONE - for me it's a portable computer / text / email platform.
    At this time, BIS is still available from many carriers, though it's future is limited.

01-16-19 09:20 AM
    That's an interesting analogy. I would say that an individual starting a garden will have about the same impact on climate change, the present mass extinction event, and the survival of human civilization as your advocacy for BB10 will have on its continuance (i.e., none).

An individual growing a few trees is probably the biggest impact for the vast majority of the World. If humans who are all individuals, made individual decisions then there wouldn't be this "scare extinction" big-government/advertising agency, the only way tactic (much like monolithic Android is the "only solution").

After all if its man made then ultimately individuals are the source and the solution. So you can either start right now by no longer flying, putting on extra clothing instead of having a heating system...living in a wooden hut etc, hauling water by the bucket, digging a latrine, severly restricting your diet etc....or you can wait for some technological breakthroughs with some moderate behavioural awareness in the meantime.

So what this has to do with BB10, I'm not getting the world-wide-wireless wresting connection, but heck I played along till the commercial break.
    01-16-19 09:21 AM
    Keep in mind it would cost, at a bare bones minimum, 10 million dollars per year to support and maintain the infrastructure. It would be double that if you also wanted to maintain the developer portals and related infrastructure.
    Where do you get your numbers?
    Considering the likely developer submissions would supporting the developer portals even be a full time job?

I would consider more than the above stated range, if Guardian would be brought back on line. And would even consider a subscription model for BB10 should it be made available for customer download and installation on just one BlackBerry Secure device, but I don't want to rehash an old discussion.
    01-17-19 01:27 PM
    but I don't want to rehash an old discussion.
    I'm sure you wouldn't. The numbers are probably double since we last discussed it, as BB10 usage has continued to plummet.
    01-17-19 01:32 PM
    Considering the likely developer submissions would supporting the developer portals even be a full time job?
    What developer submissions? It didn't help when BlackBerry actually had developers working on apps.
    01-17-19 01:41 PM
    What developer submissions? It didn't help when BlackBerry actually had developers working on apps.
    you are trolling right? how many devs do you really think are out? Even then how many are dumb enough to still be PAYING to submit apps to a store that isnt even selling any apps anymore. SMDH at the cluelessness on this forum
    I can only believe he was implying that the "lack" of submissions would bring the support cost down.
    01-17-19 01:50 PM
    I can only believe he was implying that the "lack" of submissions would bring the support cost down.
    yes i misread that i think. Thx for the correction
    01-17-19 01:53 PM
    Oh, I see. Like if I took a pay cut (fewer "submissions" ), my mortgage (my "support costs") would suddenly drop too?

Is that that how it supposed to work? Because it didn't for me back in '09.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-17-19 02:05 PM
    I am also expecting the response time for those submissions to trend to zero as well.

I don't think you paid to submit software to BBW or there was ever any developer fee. Also, the developer tools have always been free at developer.blackberry.com.

And it is easy to load native apps (not from BBW) to your device using these tools.
    Last edited by DonHB; 01-17-19 at 02:59 PM.
    01-17-19 02:36 PM
    I am also expecting the response time for those submissions to trend to zero as well.

I don't think you paid to submit software to BBW or there was any developer fee.
    used to be close to $200 and that gave you like 10 app submissions i think
    01-17-19 02:57 PM
    used to be close to $200 and that gave you like 10 app submissions i think
    When was this? Could this be for some other store? Apple requires a subscription, for example, last I checked.
    01-17-19 03:00 PM
    When was this? Could this be for some other store? Apple requires a subscription, for example, last I checked.
    back around the bb10 startup, they might have dropped it right before bb10 went live. Dont remember the specifics
    01-17-19 04:45 PM
    I'm sure you wouldn't. The numbers are probably double since we last discussed it, as BB10 usage has continued to plummet.
    At RBC Disruptors John Chen claimed they still had 3 million active handset customers, but he did not break it down by platform. I think he implied that this number includes both BB10 and BBOS, but not Android.

He also remarked about burgeoning interest in privacy protection. Suggesting, perhaps, that with 20/20 foresight product decisions may have been different.
    01-20-19 05:13 PM
    At RBC Disruptors John Chen claimed they still had 3 million active handset customers, but he did not break it down by platform. I think he implied that this number includes both BB10 and BBOS, but not Android.

He also remarked about burgeoning interest in privacy protection. Suggesting, perhaps, that with 20/20 foresight product decisions may have been different.
    And I'm 5 of them (not including Android) - although none are used as a primary device. So even if the number is true, it's hard to tell what that actually means.

As much as it disappoints me, I don't see any meaningful customer decisions pointing to their being more mindful of privacy issues.

Even with all of the Facebook revelations in 2017/18, it didn't seem to dent their trendline:
    Last edited by conite; 01-20-19 at 05:48 PM.
    01-20-19 05:29 PM
    And I'm 5 of them (not including Android) - although none are used as a primary device. So even if the number is true, it's hard to tell what that actually means.

As much as it disappoints me, I don't see any meaningful customer decisions pointing to their being more mindful of privacy issues.
    Of which company or companies do speak (i.e. disappointed)? BlackBerry, Facebook or others?
    Last edited by DonHB; 01-20-19 at 06:50 PM.
    01-20-19 06:17 PM
    BlackBerry, Facebook or others?
    I don't understand the question.
    01-20-19 06:19 PM
287 ... 9101112