Most BlackbBerry fans will already know that BlackbBerry World will close on 12/31/2019 .

This obviously means that we can’t download new apps but what about the apps we’ve bought? That are tied to our BlackBerry accounts? Will we still be able to use them?

I got all apps I need and I hope they keep working so I can keep using my Q10 en Classic.
    Is there a way to backup the apps so I can install them later in case I need to reset my device? I paid for them right?

I really need my paid apps (Folder Music, Playcloud, Super Zip, Password Manager)..
    12-03-18 01:16 PM
    It unknown how things will work.

Most likely you will be able to use the phone and apps "as is". But you won't be able to reload the apps if the OS requires a reload.

By that point... you really need a new phone anyway.
    pkcable likes this.
    12-03-18 01:32 PM
    Ok let's hope for the best :-)

Maybe some brilliant developer finds a solution to backup the BB10 OS + third party apps...
    It would be great if I could keep on using my BB10 devices.. they can do everything I need.. I don't like Android (Google = hungry for your data) and I don't like Apple (money hungry!).

Oh.. I saw that there already is a topic about this:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...019-a-1159132/
    Draven2666 likes this.
    12-03-18 01:45 PM
    Given that we are exactly a year our from the official end of support for BlackBerry 10, I am hoping we can get some additional clarification from BlackBerry Ltd as to what will happen.

BlackBerry talked about network access for BBOS and other things still need to be clarified such as BBM working and other functions.

They will need to provide some answers but I am not sure as to when they will, I think one of the biggest factors is how many BBOS users are still out there.

BBOS still generates some decent, high margin revenue for BlackBerry, approx $40 million annually and falling. If there is still some BBOS users out there in a years time, perhaps BlackBerry Ltd extends BBM and BBOS network access another 6-12 months.

Hopefully we know more here soon

Posted via CB10
    12-03-18 03:06 PM
    Maybe one day I will migrate from BB10 to BBOS if support for that never goes away but BB10 becomes unusable. (Or Sailfish will be ready.)

Posted via CB10
    12-03-18 04:54 PM
    Ok let's hope for the best :-)

Maybe some brilliant developer finds a solution to backup the BB10 OS + third party apps...
    It would be great if I could keep on using my BB10 devices.. they can do everything I need.. I don't like Android (Google = hungry for your data) and I don't like Apple (money hungry!).

Oh.. I saw that there already is a topic about this:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...019-a-1159132/
    Hey MarteeNL,

Just to add: some developers have released their apps as .BAR files, which can be sideloaded via (pretty easy) means that do not require Blackberry World. So those will definitely be usable, as will the built-in apps (including Password Manager). Third-party apps are still uncertain unless the BAR files are being distributed through some other means. I'm trying to reach out to all developers I can to see what they're thinking on that.
    Blaby likes this.
    12-03-18 05:37 PM
    After Sears closed its doors, I am still able to use all the appliances and other items I purchased through the now defunct company. Why would you think that any other item purchased would be any different?

Q10 Powered
    12-04-18 05:04 AM
    what!
    am a blackberry fan but I didn't know that bbw of gonna stop!
    sorry if I disturbed your conversation but could you please tell where you got the info and ya also the ans to your question!
    please!

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 05:09 AM
    If the blackberry world closes will we have to change our phones?
    or we can download using our amazon appstore and other third party apk downloaders?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 05:13 AM
    If the blackberry world closes will we have to change our phones?
    or we can download using our amazon appstore and other third party apk downloaders?

Posted via CB10
    If the phone works at all after Dec 2019, you can still use some Android apps.
    12-04-18 06:09 AM
    Anyone have a link or .bar file for an app that can start a webserver??

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 07:03 AM
    After Sears closed its doors, I am still able to use all the appliances and other items I purchased through the now defunct company. Why would you think that any other item purchased would be any different?

Q10 Powered
    If all the services and the apps store are gone... then so will be the ability to re-download those purchased apps.

If developers are willing to take the time to release their apps for free as BAR files... that will be an option. But those paid apps that require authorization, there is no way to back them up or reinstall them.

And we saw what happened with phase 1 and the end of new sales of paid apps....
    skrble likes this.
    12-04-18 07:12 AM

Q10 Powered
    How many of those appliances sold at Sears rely on a networked back-end server and user ID to function?

Sorry, I was thinking of the phone itself.

If you're talking about the apps alone, many of those Sears appliances, and even their Craftsman tools can be purchased, and serviced, elsewhere.

But, the apps on their own should still work.
    12-04-18 07:15 AM
    It's on the official BlackBerry blog. '...current device owners should be aware that we will be closing some ancillary services such as the BlackBerry World app store (12/31/2019), the BlackBerry Travel site (February 2018), and the Playbook video calling service (March 2018).'

Supporting BB10 and BBOS Customers and Rewarding Your Loyalty | Inside BlackBerry
    12-04-18 08:05 AM
    Hi.. thanx for your reply.. Well, I'll try contacting some app developers then..
    12-04-18 08:08 AM
    It's on the official BlackBerry blog. '...current device owners should be aware that we will be closing some ancillary services such as the BlackBerry World app store (12/31/2019), the BlackBerry Travel site (February 2018), and the Playbook video calling service (March 2018).'

Supporting BB10 and BBOS Customers and Rewarding Your Loyalty | Inside BlackBerry
    Yes we have all read that announcement from last year... still doesn't clarify exactly what that means for those wanting to continue to use BB10 past that point.

It possible that BBID stays up and running, and that all this worry about restoring backups... is for nothing. Or it could be....
    12-04-18 08:12 AM
    Yes we have all read that announcement from last year... still doesn't clarify exactly what that means for those wanting to continue to use BB10 past that point.

It possible that BBID stays up and running, and that all this worry about restoring backups... is for nothing. Or it could be....
    I suppose the prudent thing is to assume the infrastructure will be shut down.
    glwerry likes this.
    12-04-18 08:20 AM
    I suppose the prudent thing is to assume the infrastructure will be shut down.
    If it's anything like BBOS and PlayBook, it'll all be there just slowly fall to pieces. Files will be moved, servers will be re-routed, things will just stop working slowly and no one will 'fix' them because there's no obligation to. But yeah, best to assume it'll just be gone.
    12-04-18 08:43 AM
    If it's anything like BBOS and PlayBook, it'll all be there just slowly fall to pieces. Files will be moved, servers will be re-routed, things will just stop working slowly and no one will 'fix' them because there's no obligation to. But yeah, best to assume it'll just be gone.
    I have a gut feeling they just want to turn the switch off, and then repurpose or divest of all of the space/assets.
    12-04-18 09:16 AM
    Hey MarteeNL,

Just to add: some developers have released their apps as .BAR files, which can be sideloaded via (pretty easy) means that do not require Blackberry World. So those will definitely be usable, as will the built-in apps (including Password Manager). Third-party apps are still uncertain unless the BAR files are being distributed through some other means. I'm trying to reach out to all developers I can to see what they're thinking on that.
    I wonder if there's any way to convince BlackBerry to make Connect to OneDrive available, either as part of a final OS release or as a BAR file. The darn thing is already written, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I'd pay $100 for it.
    12-04-18 09:55 AM
    I wonder if there's any way to convince BlackBerry to make Connect to OneDrive available, either as part of a final OS release or as a BAR file. The darn thing is already written, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I'd pay $100 for it.
    There is probably some licencing hurdles.
    12-04-18 10:07 AM
    There is probably some licencing hurdles.
    Good point. I doubt Microsoft charges a licensing fee, but they might require licensees to take ongoing responsibility for updates to the API, security, etc.

I already assumed support for Connect to OneDrive would end on or before 12/31/19. I will assume that it won't available after an OS refresh, too.
    12-04-18 10:50 AM
    I have a gut feeling they just want to turn the switch off, and then repurpose or divest of all of the space/assets.
    Probably. Esepcially when you consider how much of that stuff is also from BBOS, not in terms of device assets but just system assets in general that can be eliminated. So many web pages, downloads and more have gone missing in the past year to say they're certainly cleaning house.
    12-04-18 10:52 AM

Q10 Powered
    Apples vs oranges.
    My understanding is that there are servers that operate things in the background that are going to be shut down. That's why people are saying that if you have to reload the OS you will be hooped. The server will no longer be there.

It's a bit like what is happening with BBOS (BB7) - those phones require that the CARRIER be supplying BIS - if the carrier DROPS BIS, then you cannot use the phone.

Using the Sears analogy - it's the scenario where Sears also supplies the ELECTRICITY - when they go down they are shutting down the electricity.
    12-04-18 11:23 AM
    lets hope for the best!

Posted via CB10
    12-04-18 12:16 PM
287 123 ...