The preferred native app was not just about performance. It was about the lack of Flow.
    3rd party developers couldn't have cared less about "flow".

BlackBerry even went so far as to offer to PAY the big developers for BlackBerry to take their app, port it, and support it FOR them.

They just weren't interested.
    02-03-18 03:26 PM
    As I wrote before developers had no good solution.

Either they had to create a new code base or have an app that appeared compromised (or half baked).

No good choice made it simpler to not bother.
    02-03-18 03:34 PM
    As I wrote before developers had no good solution.

Either they had to create a new code base or have an app that appeared compromised (or half baked).

No good choice made it simpler to not bother.
    In no way at all would they have felt their apps were compromised in the least bit. That had absolutely ZERO to do with their choice to not port to BB10. ZERO.
    Last edited by conite; 02-03-18 at 04:01 PM.
    02-03-18 03:40 PM
    I guess WhatsApp was an Android port.

Can you name a similarly significant app available on BlackBerry World that was an Android port?
    02-03-18 03:51 PM
    I guess WhatsApp was an Android port.

Can you name a similarly significant app available on BlackBerry World that was an Android port?
    WhatsApp was not a port.

But Skype was.

So was Kindle.
    Last edited by conite; 02-03-18 at 04:18 PM.
    02-03-18 04:01 PM
    WhatsApp was not a port.

But Skype was.

So was Kindle.
    Neither of which are in as high demand.
    02-03-18 04:22 PM
    Do you think maybe, just maybe, that has something to do with the fact that over a billion people use WhatsApp rather than it having been "native" ?

At LAUNCH, about 38,000 of the 70,000 apps in BlackBerry World were ports.
    02-03-18 04:23 PM
    Do you think maybe, just maybe, that has something to do with the fact that over a billion people use WhatsApp rather than it having been "native" ?

At LAUNCH, about 38,000 of the 70,000 apps in BlackBerry World were ports.
    Since you 're quoting statistics. How many were top apps on either the iPhone (Android versions of course) or Android stores?
    02-03-18 04:31 PM
    Since you 're quoting statistics. How many were top apps on either the iPhone (Android versions of course) or Android stores?
    I don't understand where you're going. We already established that the top developers were not interested in a 3rd ecosystem and didn't bother with BB10.
    02-03-18 04:38 PM
    The vast majority of the Android ports were crappy webwrappers.
    02-03-18 04:45 PM
    Could it just be that from a payoff for time spent angle, developers figured the BB10 was never going to be worth anything if just shifting few users from Android to BB10? Three OS cost more to support than just two. Simple business is to ignore something of little to no value in terms of profitability.
    02-03-18 05:04 PM
    I don't understand where you're going. We already established that the top developers were not interested in a 3rd ecosystem and didn't bother with BB10.
    And to be correct, BB10 was never higher than 4th, behind iOS, Android, and WinPhone.
    02-03-18 07:00 PM
    Skype was one of the - if not the - biggest IM platform in 2013 (around 500 million users IIRC). It was probably the most requested app on the PlayBook as well.
    02-04-18 12:13 AM
    Android on BB10 was most definitely a stop-gap measure. It was never intended to be a real solution. I think we all knew that at the time. That's why the runtime was locked, and any android app you wanted had to be converted into a bar wrapper and side-loaded with the phone in developer mode.

BlackBerry hoped that they could get enough developers on board once they "see the advantage of the BB10 OS".

Yes, some developers did jump in (the USA Today app already had an interface that was similar to Cascades). At first doing their own conversions. But as time went on, they were abandoned.

BlackBerry's next gasp was to unlock the runtime and let apks install directly without the bar wrapper and without developer mode side-loading. That's when the Amazon App Store was added.

I don't who ticked off Netflix, maybe someone's wife was slept with, but Netflix made a conscious effort to have Amazon block all BB10 phones from their app several months after that. Something about that just seemed so petty, because no one else did that.

Either way, that tells you something about the environment that BlackBerry had to deal with.

I think there were a lot of backroom deals going back to the BBOS days that went sour over time, and that baggage hurts a company in the long run.
    No doubt Netflix was getting support calls from BB10 customers when there were issues. You think they were going to call Blackbery when Netflix wasn't acting right? Call Amazon? Nope...

Let's not forget that Reed Hastings was also on Microsoft's BoD at the time so we know for certain that Steve Ballmer had his ear, and WP was BB10's main competitor for 3rd place. Even with Windows Phone dead, there is (was?) still a native Netflix app.
    02-04-18 07:29 AM
    That shows right there that you have zero concept of reality if you don't know how big Skype was in 2013.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/firehose...d-video-calls/

I mean seriously. You're making yourself look clueless. You're not even TRYING to be credible anymore. Nobody believes anything you say besides yourself. If I was a mod I would lock a thread as soon as you posted in it.
    02-04-18 07:45 AM
    That shows right there that you have zero concept of reality if you don't know how big Skype was in 2013.

I mean seriously. You're making yourself look clueless. You're not even TRYING to be credible anymore. Nobody believes anything you say besides yourself. If I was a mod I would lock a thread as soon as you posted in it.
    There are 78 million users now. I think he was saying there is less demand since 2010 which seems to be correct.
    02-04-18 07:55 AM
    There are 78 million users now. I think he was saying there is less demand since 2010 which seems to be correct.
    That's the case for anything. But 78 million is still around 77 million more than the number of BB10 phones in use. Skype is anything but irrelevant.

See when someone posts reasonable assumptions based on the current state of the market, he says "that's conjecture."

When someone posts true facts, he says it's irrelevant to the discussion.

Every post is deflection.

Maybe I've had too much caffeine this morning.
    02-04-18 09:56 AM
    That's the case for anything. But 78 million is still around 77 million more than the number of BB10 phones in use. Skype is anything but irrelevant.

See when someone posts reasonable assumptions based on the current state of the market, he says "that's conjecture."

When someone posts true facts, he says it's irrelevant to the discussion.

Every post is deflection.

Maybe I've had too much caffeine this morning.
    I hear you lol.
    02-04-18 10:08 AM
    I was there at launch. My point is that BB's music service was not a strategic advantage like iTunes was. I don't remember anyone saying that people should dump Apple because BlackBerry's music service was so much better.

To launch a new platform, one needs strategic partners with exclusive offerings, not just a bulleted list of equivalent features that copy the established players.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    It was pretty good when it was integrated with BBM. Needed some refinement and marketing with advertising

Posted via CB10
    02-04-18 01:00 PM
    Needed some refinement and marketing with advertising

Posted via CB10
    Would have just been more money down the toilet.
    02-04-18 01:13 PM
    Would have just been more money down the toilet.
    If nobody knows about your products and services you are throwing money down the toilet. What is the point of producing products and offering services. It's the same thing that's going on even now.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-04-18 01:46 PM
    If nobody knows about your products and services you are throwing money down the toilet. What is the point of producing products and offering services. It's the same thing that's going on even now.

Posted via CB10
    No point throwing good money after bad. All 80 million people that used BBM in 2012 knew about it, and subscriptions were almost non-existent.

As far as marketing from TCL is concerned regarding its KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motion products, they are playing the long game with carriers and enterprise.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-04-18 01:50 PM
    It was pretty good when it was integrated with BBM. Needed some refinement and marketing with advertising

Posted via CB10
    I'm not complaining about it. I'm just saying that it wasn't like iTunes where people wanted a BB10 phone because of the music service. There's a difference between a checklist feature and a strategic feature.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-04-18 02:12 PM

Did they use stock UI widgets or did they take the approach of Waze?
    02-04-18 05:10 PM
    No doubt Netflix was getting support calls from BB10 customers when there were issues. You think they were going to call Blackbery when Netflix wasn't acting right? Call Amazon? Nope...

Let's not forget that Reed Hastings was also on Microsoft's BoD at the time so we know for certain that Steve Ballmer had his ear, and WP was BB10's main competitor for 3rd place. Even with Windows Phone dead, there is (was?) still a native Netflix app.
    Netflix is an UWP app, also available for Windows 10. So Netflix have no reason to erase it on Windows 10 Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-18 02:40 AM
277 ... 89101112