I seem to recall that BB maps were ok for a specific address but not good at all in finding an address from a name. At least in my part of the woods.

The speed? The slowest being the point in time the device needs a repair or when having having a BB10 impedes your productivity or causes additional work for others.
    If the phone doesn't meet their needs they should replace it. There's no reason to be stubborn, I agree.

But I manage a pretty high tech business without using any Android or iOS mobile apps. In fact, I use my 5 year old BB10 for work because it's faster than the Android KEYone for email, calendar and the apps I need for work. I am starting to use my KEYone on my off days, and I enjoy it, but there's nothing I need for my work.

I know a lot of executives who do almost all of their work on laptops and who just need email, calendar and contacts on their phones at work. A lot of them prefer iOS or Android, naturally, because it's 2018 and there are apps they use, but they'll readily admit they don't do much more than email on them for work.

Of course there are also hundreds of mobile business apps, and many companies need their employees to use dedicated apps for their jobs, but they already left BB10, if they ever adopted it in the first place. But people who are still happy on BB10 probably don't need apps for work.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-24-18 09:33 PM
    The main incentives are security, BES (fading interest...) and reliability of BBM *enterprise*. With slack taking the corporate world by storm, and BES fading... it seems to me that the security hardening is the main selling point, software-wise?

Posted via CB10
    I guess the argument that "security hardening is the main selling point" could be made for Blackberry, but I haven't really seen Blackberry Mobile actually demonstrate any additional security or privacy from their devices.

Anything that they offer can be done through MDM Software. I'd argue that as a company they're trading on some residual brand equity from a previously loyal customer base, the HUB, and keyboards (virtual and physical), maybe battery life too but tougher to differentiate.

Other than that, it seems as though they don't offer that much.

If they offered legitimate privacy and security, our company would probably be more interested in the products.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-24-18 09:58 PM
    I guess the argument that "security hardening is the main selling point" could be made for Blackberry, but I haven't really seen Blackberry Mobile actually demonstrate any additional security or privacy from their devices.

Anything that they offer can be done through MDM Software. I'd argue that as a company they're trading on some residual brand equity from a previously loyal customer base, the HUB, and keyboards (virtual and physical), maybe battery life too but tougher to differentiate.

Other than that, it seems as though they don't offer that much.

If they offered legitimate privacy and security, our company would probably be more interested in the products.
    BlackBerry Android:

Supply chain security for hardware root of trust. That means we “sign” all of our hardware with digital keys at the manufacturing level to ensure device integrity.

Improvements to the Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) security technique and make it far more difficult for malware – even something like Stagefright – to exploit Android software bugs.

Improvements to the SELinux mandatory access control policy system.

The Pathtrust utility ensuring that untrusted code cannot be introduced into the system dynamically via malware.

Hundreds of hardening improvements to the Linux kernel and Android service framework to enable features like DTEK that helps you protect your own security and privacy.

Tamper-proofing of critical security parameters.

Cryptographic improvements, including the use of BlackBerry Certicom certified-FIPS 140-2 security compliant cryptographic library and other techniques that improve upon the Android password’s protection against brute-force attacks.

Smart card development framework and other enterprise-specific features that benefit business users.

BlackBerry Integrity Detection (BID for short) is a trusted/secure background process running at the system level, that monitors the device for known security vulnerabilities. The BID service has its definitions updated regularly (silently) to ensure that you’re protected against existing and future exploits.
    01-24-18 10:09 PM
    If the phone doesn't meet their needs they should replace it. There's no reason to be stubborn, I agree.

But I manage a pretty high tech business without using any Android or iOS mobile apps. In fact, I use my 5 year old BB10 for work because it's faster than the Android KEYone for email, calendar and the apps I need for work. I am starting to use my KEYone on my off days, and I enjoy it, but there's nothing I need for my work.

I know a lot of executives who do almost all of their work on laptops and who just need email, calendar and contacts on their phones at work. A lot of them prefer iOS or Android, naturally, because it's 2018 and there are apps they use, but they'll readily admit they don't do much more than email on them for work.

Of course there are also hundreds of mobile business apps, and many companies need their employees to use dedicated apps for their jobs, but they already left BB10, if they ever adopted it in the first place. But people who are still happy on BB10 probably don't need apps for work.

I do not own a KEYone but Conite does . Would former owners of BB10 devices find BlackBerry Mobile devices less efficient for email, calendar and work apps ?

Conversely, I would like Bb10adopter’s opinion on security as a good selling feature for BlackBerry Mobile to use for the Enterprise market and if so , why are they not?
    01-24-18 11:31 PM
    I do not own a KEYone but Conite does . Would former owners of BB10 devices find BlackBerry Mobile devices less efficient for email, calendar and work apps ?

Conversely, I would like Bb10adopter’s opinion on security as a good selling feature for BlackBerry Mobile to use for the Enterprise market and if so , why are they not?
    Once I switched to BlackBerry Android, I spent far more time doing work than fiddling with workarounds. If email was all I did on a device, I might accept that BB10 has a very slight advantage. But since I do a lot more than that, it's not even a close comparison.

BlackBerry Mobile actually has a number of dedicated enterprise salespeople, and are pushing hard in that arena.

TCL tends not to talk about numbers, although Hurn said demand was double expectations, and that 50% of sales have been to business.
    glwerry likes this.
    01-24-18 11:44 PM
    Once I switched to BlackBerry Android, I spent far more time doing work than fiddling with workarounds. If email was all I did on a device, I might accept that BB10 has a very slight advantage. But since I do a lot more than that, it's not even a close comparison.

BlackBerry Mobile actually has a number of dedicated enterprise salespeople, and are pushing hard in that arena.

TCL tends not to talk about numbers, although Hurn said demand was double expectations, and that 50% of sales have been to business.
    "Mahieu said 60 percent of its sales in the US are coming from business customers, which analysts say offers some opportunity for BlackBerry."

This could be good news or it could mean that USA consumer sales were really low.

Thanks for replying.
    01-24-18 11:58 PM

The KEYone is the best Android I've found by a wide margin. I do find the simplicity of BB10 much more conducive to writing, but I don't believe in Android workarounds on BB10 in 2018. If you want apps, unless you're sure that the ancient 4.3 runtime will meet your needs in BB10, it's time to get a newer phone.

I double carry a Z10 or a Passport because I really prefer BB10 for writing.

As for security, it depends a lot on what threats you're trying to defend against. For my personal and business use, I feel very good about the work BlackBerry has done to harden Android. I also think that Samsung, Google and LG know what they're doing for personal and business phones, but, out of the box, I think BlackBerry Mobile has an edge because of its very conservative implementation.

01-25-18 12:49 AM
    the 50,000 texting message lost in FBI showcased BES/BIS and handset eco system importance... a software glich that capable of wipe 5 month data in samsung S5 must be a feature FBI really like when they choose Sammy instead of BB... (FBI/CIA never like BB to start with... due to lack of snoop capability) if Chen can not use this oppotuniety to get back BES plus handset for gov - end to end with multiple redanduncy - never heard lost of BBM at BES level... its a great lost for BB... (admit, the licensing deal may weaken the BB integration position).
    01-25-18 06:28 AM
    01-25-18 06:29 AM
    the 50,000 texting message lost in FBI showcased BES/BIS and handset eco system importance... a software glich that capable of wipe 5 month data in samsung S5 must be a feature FBI really like when they choose Sammy instead of BB... (FBI/CIA never like BB to start with... due to lack of snoop capability) if Chen can not use this oppotuniety to get back BES plus handset for gov - end to end with multiple redanduncy - never heard lost of BBM at BES level... its a great lost for BB... (admit, the licensing deal may weaken the BB integration position).
    Isn't that assuming the lost texts weren't intentionally destroyed or aren't really lost? In the end, human actions sometimes intervene.
    01-25-18 06:33 AM
    01-25-18 06:34 AM
    BlackBerry Android:

Supply chain security for hardware root of trust. That means we “sign” all of our hardware with digital keys at the manufacturing level to ensure device integrity.

Improvements to the Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) security technique and make it far more difficult for malware – even something like Stagefright – to exploit Android software bugs.

Improvements to the SELinux mandatory access control policy system.

The Pathtrust utility ensuring that untrusted code cannot be introduced into the system dynamically via malware.

Hundreds of hardening improvements to the Linux kernel and Android service framework to enable features like DTEK that helps you protect your own security and privacy.

Tamper-proofing of critical security parameters.

Cryptographic improvements, including the use of BlackBerry Certicom certified-FIPS 140-2 security compliant cryptographic library and other techniques that improve upon the Android password’s protection against brute-force attacks.

Smart card development framework and other enterprise-specific features that benefit business users.

BlackBerry Integrity Detection (BID for short) is a trusted/secure background process running at the system level, that monitors the device for known security vulnerabilities. The BID service has its definitions updated regularly (silently) to ensure that you’re protected against existing and future exploits.
    These are all things that have been advertised, but to my knowledge there haven't been any real world examples of these "vulnerabilities" being exploited on newish iPhones or Knox enabled Samsungs.....though it's certainly possible I'm just not aware of them.

Also, these are only security measures, they don't affect or increase privacy. Google is "white listed" without any option to control or shut down data loss - a major privacy vulnerability.
    01-25-18 07:03 AM
    That is 5 years old.
    Just like this OS we're discussing. Coincidence? or Conspiracy!!!
    ppeters914 and Mecca EL like this.
    01-25-18 07:08 AM
    These are all things that have been advertised, but to my knowledge there haven't been any real world examples of these "vulnerabilities" being exploited on newish iPhones or Knox enabled Samsungs.....though it's certainly possible I'm just not aware of them.

Also, these are only security measures, they don't affect or increase privacy. Google is "white listed" without any option to control or shut down data loss - a major privacy vulnerability.
    You're changing the question. Now you want a comparison against Apple and Knox?

My answer would be that all three are probably comparable. BlackBerry Mobile just wants to be a viable 3rd option/choice for Enterprise.

As far as Google is concerned, update to G suite to avoid ad-mining.
    01-25-18 07:09 AM

Privacy and security are related, but different. In general, organizations care about security, and some users care about privacy.

The easiest way to ensure privacy on a mobile phone is to enter as little personal information into apps as possible, minimize use of cookies and browse anonymously, use a VPN, use an Alias identity for your Android account, don't configure Google Apps with your personal information, avoid logging into services with Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.

If you're not wiling to do those sorts of things, then it really doesn't matter which phone you ourchase.

Mecca EL likes this.
    01-25-18 08:18 AM
    ^^THIS

The easiest way to ensure privacy is to stop relying on free services that depend on your data for revenue. Taking free stuff and complaining that you have to pay for it with your personal information is irrational.

It's well worth paying a few dollars a month to Google, Microsoft or another company that will provide you access to great tools and encrypt your information very securely.

01-25-18 08:31 AM
    You're changing the question. Now you want a comparison against Apple and Knox?

My answer would be that all three are probably comparable. BlackBerry Mobile just wants to be a viable 3rd option/choice for Enterprise.

There wasn't a question. I simply made the point that, in my opinion, nobody is buying Blackberry Mobile based on security or privacy because those aren't distinguishing factors based on the current competition in the market place (i.e. iPhone and Samsung). Rather, people are buying on residual brand equity and certain features such as the hub, keyboards (virtual and physical) battery life, etc.
    01-25-18 08:38 AM
    There wasn't a question. I simply made the point that, in my opinion, nobody is buying Blackberry Mobile based on security or privacy because those aren't distinguishing factors based on the current competition in the market place (i.e. iPhone and Samsung). Rather, people are buying on residual brand equity and certain features such as the hub, keyboards (virtual and physical) battery life, etc.
    Yet 60% of US sales are to business.

What figures do you have that support your opinion?
    01-25-18 08:39 AM
    On the consumer end, I'd agree. Who knows about enterprise? Since very little data exists right now.
    01-25-18 08:40 AM
    Yet 60% of US sales are to business.

What figures do you have that support your opinion?
    This figure came from BM but it could be spin. Overall sales in the US to consumers could be very low. The KEYone got a late start in the USA amp thus sales are low.

Ultimately, they will need a great all touch phone at a great price to breach the US market and the Motion is not that phone. The counter argument is that the Motion will appeal to Enterprise buyers. Most phones are bought through carriers and in the USA there is no carrier support.

For all touch, the market is looking for a flagship phone at a reasonable price with carrier support either that or cheap pay as you go.

The next Alcatel 5 , from appearances, seems to be a better phone at a better price. Maybe “BlackBerry secure” this phone and just use the BlackBerry trade name for PKB’s.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-25-18 at 10:30 AM.
    01-25-18 10:05 AM
    The speed for native functions is top notch. It's slow running some Android apps.
    01-25-18 11:03 AM
    That is 5 years old.
    Pretty sure the FBI is 100% standardized on iOS.
    pdr733 likes this.
    01-25-18 11:08 AM
    Pretty sure the FBI is 100% standardized on iOS.
    But it's so insecure! Lol
    01-25-18 11:19 AM
    But it's so insecure! Lol
    Why would you say that? iOS has the highest US Government security certifications. I have never heard of any recent FBI mobile phone security issues.
    01-25-18 11:39 AM
    I am being sarcastic since many here believe it is the case and that on BlackBerry phones are secure.
    pdr733 and Mecca EL like this.
    01-25-18 12:03 PM
277 ... 34567 ...