Pretty strange to use a phone that will not run your company website or that of a competitor.
    Only true if a) there's a need to use those sites on one's phone; and b) there's a significant problem with how the sites are rendered in a BB10 browser. I still use BB10 for most Web sites without significant issues.

But, in the past year I don't think I've ever needed to visit my web site or any of my competitors' Web site on my mobile phone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-23-18 12:57 PM
    Only true if a) there's a need to use those sites on one's phone; and b) there's a significant problem with how the sites are rendered in a BB10 browser. I still use BB10 for most Web sites without significant issues.

But, in the past year I don't think I've ever needed to visit my web site or any of my competitors' Web site on my mobile phone.

I meant to say company app. Regardless, all companies of any size will be replacing their BB10 phones ASAP.
    01-23-18 01:03 PM
    I meant to say company app. Regardless, all companies of any size will be replacing their BB10 phones ASAP.
    Why ASAP? BB10 has seen a slow steady decline, which will continue. There's no sudden urgency to dump them, is there?

Qorax likes this.
    01-23-18 01:05 PM
    Why ASAP? BB10 has seen a slow steady decline, which will continue. There's no sudden urgency to dump them, is there?

Mainly an age thing. Too old to justify a repair or even a new battery. That and the loss of a needed app.
    01-23-18 01:20 PM
    Mainly an age thing. Too old to justify a repair or even a new battery. That and the loss of a needed app.
    Sure. They'll all be replaced. I just don't see any urgency to make it ASAP. If they've been used this long, they're already survivors!

01-23-18 01:24 PM

Combination of factors.... age, lack of updates, known vulnerabilities, lack of replacements, functionality, BlackBerry putting an end to any future hopes of updates or new devices.

In the end I expect most IT departments already had BB10 on a replacement schedule.... AT this point we are talking about hold outs that either bought into the whole "we support BB10" line that BlackBerry has been dishing out, or simple were not ready to pull the trigger. The vulnerabilities of the last few months and BlackBerry's announcement will give IT a little more "ammunition" to convince the powers to be to provide the budgets needed. Sure there are policies that they can implement that would reduce BB10 exposure... but in the end IT probable want to move on too.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-23-18 01:57 PM
    Sure. I agree with all that. The only thing I was questioning is "ASAP.". None of what anyone has described is new or creates urgency to replace these phones "as soon as possible." The few that are still in use will likely be replaced at a steady pace between now and the end of 2019.

01-23-18 02:04 PM
    Blackberry's products are a supplement to, not a substitute for, Microsoft Office or Google Docs, and they work with Apple and Android as well or better than they do with BB10.

Anyone who wants to edit documents on their phone in their native file format is better served on an iOS or Android phone using the official apps, IMO.

In 2018 BlackBerry phones are best for the basic smartphone features related to email and PIM functions, supplemented with available apps as needed. That's plenty for many people at work, but not enough for most who either need more apps for their jobs or who want to use more apps for personal use.

Sure but depending on your use case they can certainly be used as a substitute as well. It's definitely one of the under appreciated things about BlackBerry products, they're essentially workflow agnostic.

Pretty strange to use a phone that will not run your company website or that of a competitor. In many companies that previously used BlackBerry phones, the employees themselves wanted out.
    I'm not sure which site you're referring to but I don't think it disqualifies the original point. If you're leaving BB10 solely because of Google or Microsoft apps it stands to reason that if you're instead invested in BlackBerry apps that there wouldn't be much incentive to leave.

Not that it matters much in practice now, all things considered.
    01-23-18 05:18 PM
    A very honest thought. How can BB "abandon " BB 10 users? A wrong move simply for a commercial reason so that BB 10 users will switch to Motion or KeyOne.

Pg sheng BB classic Malaysia
    01-23-18 06:52 PM
    A very honest thought. How can BB "abandon " BB 10 users? A wrong move simply for a commercial reason so that BB 10 users will switch to Motion or KeyOne.

This has been discussed to death in CrackBerry.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Mecca EL like this.
    01-23-18 07:06 PM

Nothing so complicated. They can't make money anymore in that business, and they've fulfilled all their obligations. It's no different than any other business. There is no lifetime guarantee when you buy a phone.

elfabio80 likes this.
    01-23-18 07:07 PM
    Truth be told , ASAP is probably 90 percent a done deal. You can probably still find some companies using Leaps in Toronto. If you are in Toronto and working for a top 100 company, tell me different.

The Manchester police dept. purchased 6,000 leaps long after they should have. They might still have them.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-23-18 at 10:40 PM.
    01-23-18 09:10 PM
    Truth be told , ASAP is probably 90 percent , a done deal. You can probably still find some companies using Leaps in Toronto. If you are in Toronto and working for a top 100 company, tell me different.

The Manchester police dept. purchased 6,000 leaps long after they should have. They might still have them.
    We all know that there aren't many BB10 phones still being used by enterprises. But there's no reason that the few that are left would need to be replaced "ASAP" as there have been no sudden or new developments in the past two years.

They will all be replaced as fleets are refreshed (most already have been), but from this point on it will be a slow trickle over the next two years.

The idea that the ones still being used need to be replaced As Soon As Possible lacks any rational justification. If anything the recent announcement that BB10 will be fully supported on Blackberry's enterprise platforms until the end of 2019 may have removed a sense of urgency from the few organizations still using them.

01-23-18 09:26 PM
    Up to each IT dept, to decide whether they will support legacy BlackBerry phones. Not many would but there will always be exceptions.
    01-23-18 11:04 PM
    Up to each IT dept, to decide whether they will support legacy BlackBerry phones. Not many would but there will always be exceptions.
    But the point is that the ones we're talking about already ARE supporting them. There's no reason they would all suddenly stop at the same time.

01-24-18 07:41 AM
    But the point is that the ones we're talking about already ARE supporting them. There's no reason they would all suddenly stop at the same time.

They'll cycle off as the company IT plan and budget dictates. If their carrier decides to incentivize the company to move sooner by offering credits, upgrades or both, the company might choose to move sooner.

As you said, all the devices won't stop functioning at once, unless the company turns off the devices themselves.
    01-24-18 07:53 AM
    They'll cycle off as the company IT plan and budget dictates. If their carrier decides to incentivize the company to move sooner by offering credits, upgrades or both, the company might choose to move sooner.

As you said, all the devices won't stop functioning at once, unless the company turns off the devices themselves.
    A company phone that can not legally run the latest version of Google maps can not be said to be fully functioning. There are, I am sure , companies out there who will continue to allow BB10 devices on their systems due to employee requests. They are no longer repaired and the employee is willing to fill in the gaps with their own devices.
    01-24-18 10:32 AM
    A company phone that can not legally run the latest version of Google maps can not be said to be fully functioning. There are, I am sure , companies out there who will continue to allow BB10 devices on their systems due to employee requests. They are no longer repaired and the employee is willing to fill in the gaps with their own devices.
    If the company needs certain usability or compatability, they probably left very long ago. We're talking companies at this point, that are just being expense sensitive. Employees typically have their own device on Android/IOS so they just use their own device for directions.
    01-24-18 10:46 AM
    A company phone that can not legally run the latest version of Google maps can not be said to be fully functioning.
    I doubt Google Maps specifically is ranking very high on many IT admin requirement lists, especially among those still using BB10 at this point.
    01-24-18 11:38 AM
    It all depends on your definition of what constitutes a functional enterprise phone.

You do not throw out your dot matrix printer without a replacement. The Manchester Police are stuck with 6000 leaps until their batteries run out.
    01-24-18 01:34 PM
    I can run Google maps in the BlackBerry Browser. More importantly, I have never seen Google Maps on a list of a company's required apps. Sure, it's very useful, but, unless your company has licensed it for custom data integrations, I doubt it's required for all employees. Google Earth, on the other hand is widely used in some industries, but primarily on PCs.

I can think of 20 applications more likely to be a deal breaker for a company than Google Maps.
    01-24-18 01:59 PM
    I can run Google maps in the BlackBerry Browser. More importantly, I have never seen Google Maps on a list of a company's required apps. Sure, it's very useful, but, unless your company has licensed it for custom data integrations, I doubt it's required for all employees. Google Earth, on the other hand is widely used in some industries, but primarily on PCs.

I can think of 20 applications more likely to be a deal breaker for a company than Google Maps.
    Can you get turn by turn navigation ? It was just an example. Do employees who use BB10 devices, end up using their personal phones for company business ?

Each to their own I guess but at this point in time, straying past Android or iOS by a company or government entity, seems unwise. The least they should do is to have a replacement plan.

BlackBerry Mobile should be reaching out to these Enterprises by offering an incentive to stay with BlackBerry.
    01-24-18 02:56 PM
    The main incentives are security, BES (fading interest...) and reliability of BBM *enterprise*. With slack taking the corporate world by storm, and BES fading... it seems to me that the security hardening is the main selling point, software-wise?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-18 05:44 PM
    Can you get turn by turn navigation ? It was just an example. Do employees who use BB10 devices, end up using their personal phones for company business ?

Each to their own I guess but at this point in time, straying past Android or iOS by a company or government entity, seems unwise. The least they should do is to have a replacement plan.

BlackBerry Mobile should be reaching out to these Enterprises by offering an incentive to stay with BlackBerry.
    Well, let's be clear, NO ONE is investing in BB10 at this point. We're only talking about the pace with which it's being retired.

As for turn by turn directions, BlackBerry's stock maps program works fine for me 99% if the time.

Mecca EL likes this.
    01-24-18 06:06 PM
    I seem to recall that BB maps were ok for a specific address but not good at all in finding an address from a name. At least in my part of the woods.

The speed? The slowest being the point in time the device needs a repair or when having having a BB10 impedes your productivity or causes additional work for others.
    01-24-18 08:06 PM
277 ... 23456 ...