Or keep it and collect them as a piece of history.
    I'm Carjackd and I support this message !
    01-20-18 09:01 PM

Again, I did, and still do, love BB10, and agree that it was the 'best' OS for me at the time. There is a reason that I still carry a BlackBerry logo-ed device, even if it's built by another company.
    I'm Canadian. Every phone sold by BlackBerry Mobile puts money back into Waterloo under the licensing agreement. I'm good with that.
    Sarek1701, Qorax, glwerry and 1 others like this.
    01-20-18 09:06 PM
    Hey, hey, hey now! Don't be so mean. I disturbed by the way BlackBerry has been treating the last of us berrys! I'm just not as vocal.
    I've accepted that this is the end! I'm really disturbed about BBMs treatment of the people that were (at least some of) the reason to be a cross platform app.

Until it doesn't work for me, I'm gonna keep using my...

 BlackBerry Passport SE (SQW100-4) with vitamin OS 10.3.3.2205 (SR 10.3.3.1463)
    gallouly likes this.
    01-20-18 11:08 PM
    Hey, hey, hey now! Don't be so mean. I disturbed by the way BlackBerry has been treating the last of us berrys! I'm just not as vocal.
    I've accepted that this is the end! I'm really disturbed about BBMs treatment of the people that were (at least some of) the reason to be a cross platform app.

Until it doesn't work for me, I'm gonna keep using my...

 BlackBerry Passport SE (SQW100-4) with vitamin OS 10.3.3.2205 (SR 10.3.3.1463)
    Enjoy the ride..fasten your seat belt...cause the next couple of years will be bumpy at best.
    gruv4u likes this.
    01-20-18 11:20 PM
    But how did BlackBerry treat the customers bad ?

Last BB10 device was launch in 2015, they exited hardware business in 2016, and still they maintain backend servers until end of 2019 !

If you bought your BB10 devices after 2015, you should have done you homework and knew that you couldn't expect updates or even assurance than all the services will still be working for long.

I bought my Passport in june 2016, very well aware of this situation. Passport still suits my needs, and I'm satisfied with what I have, and don't expect or ask for more. I will probably move to the KEYone or one of two new devices coming this year.

Beside Apple, no other OEM support their devices more than two years.

OP talks about apps disappearing from BBW, but BlackBerry is not the culprit here. WhatsApp, Dropbox, LinkedIn, all thoses apps depends of third tiers enterprise, and they moved on when clearly BB10 was a commercial failure.

BlackBerry is a business, not a charity, hoping that they would support BB10 for more than three or for years after they decided to left it was an unicorn dream !

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Trouveur; 01-21-18 at 06:46 AM.
    01-21-18 04:24 AM
    Or keep it and collect them as a piece of history.
    Yep, that's the better way to go.
    Carjackd likes this.
    01-21-18 06:11 AM
    OP, you just not live long enough in the bleeding edge world: think about PS2, palm, sony walkman, etc.etc. it is survive of the fittest world. you need to make money within a short time of period, otherwise, the train just left the station... even apple and google - where is newton? google fiber is still in question... there are two school of thoughts about servival: (1) hit many area as possible - fail fast, move to another until it got a hit... take lost on the way.. GoPro tried drone, cut lost recently is an example.. (2) define few strategic area products, try and error until it is improved - like iphone... initially, it was crappy, wall hugger, antenna gate, etc. like window, until it hits window XP, etc.etc. BB was follow (2) model, until the change hands... they are currently on the (1) now... the handset happen to be cut lost part... Just hopefully, BB will got a major HIT soon on one of the area they focus on... (personally, i like (2) approach... but you need a strong CEO can take the heat from financial analysts.. very few currently living can be steve jobs - IBM lady CEO is one of the few).
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-21-18 12:45 PM
    Wanted to write these words long time ago.. but it seems that the anger wasn't yet ready to explode.. it did now..
    Never seen a company leave out its' loyal customers like BlackBerry.. first the Play Book then OS 6,7 and recently the OS10 clients..
    Facebook, Dropbox, LinkedIn, WhatsApp and even BBM... these are among what I use that have gone till now... don't know if there are other apps that joined the party.. how could they do that??? Even BBM : not even a notice pushed to BB10 users with their lousy migration rules???!!!!!!
    And to their surprise: we customers are still clinging to our beloved OS BB10 and trying to work around this fight against us with all what we can think of... everyone is thinking of a way to still manage to operate these apps one way or another!!!! And again : to their surprise: some are succeeding and sharing their work- around ideas with others..
    Not even backstreet companies have done that harm to their customers like BlackBerry did.. to these officials of the company that I once loved: YOU ARE GOING DOWN NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES...HISTORY SAYS THAT...

Posted via CB10
    Reading this has given me an idea.
    I think we need a forum for CB fan fiction.
    ppeters914 and goncal like this.
    01-21-18 01:00 PM
    OP, you just not live long enough in the bleeding edge world: think about PS2, palm, sony walkman, etc.etc. it is survive of the fittest world.
    You said PS2, and I immediately thought of the IBM PS/2 PCs (I had a 55sx) with MicroChannel Architecture. There was also Matrox with their proprietary 3D engine that went nowhere.

Heck, I want Pioneer to bring back the Laserdisc.
    Mecca EL and goncal like this.
    01-21-18 01:54 PM
    Let it go. It's just a phone. It doesn't define who you are as a human being.

Haha, some millennials would disagree with you...
    Mecca EL and goncal like this.
    01-21-18 03:38 PM
    Apple ticks off their customers all the time (charging port, purposely slowing devices, earbud thing, "you're holding it wrong" reception issue). But people are loyal because of the entire ecosystem. BlackBerry never had that.
    Do you think people are loyal because of the ecosystem, or because of what they believe the brand says about them and the way it makes them feel? Regardless of whether it's true, many ios customers seem to 'feel' as if they're using a superior (more expensive and exclusive) product and therefore THEY feel superior.

I've been asked twice in the last couple weeks why I don't have an iPhone...and it was with a definite condescending tone....as in iPhones are for the upper class and everyone else using an Android is lower class. There seems to be a stigma there.

Wonder what they would have thought if I bothered to explain that I use a Blackberry. Ha!

Phones have always been a way to demonstrate social standing though. If you ask me, that's why blackberry got popular in the first place, not because they were superior technologically (they were), but because they were exclusive to people of perceived high social standing. In the beginning you had to be a somebody to have a blackberry. And chances were pretty good that if you drove a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, or Range Rover, took a lot of vacations, and dressed in high end clothes, you ALSO had a Blackberry. It was about image and exclusivity. Consumers wanted one, not for what it could do, but for how it made them feel.

Just my two cents.
    lloupez, Qorax, gallouly and 1 others like this.
    01-21-18 03:51 PM
    Do you think people are loyal because of the ecosystem, or because of what they believe the brand says about them and the way it makes them feel? Regardless of whether it's true, many ios customers seem to 'feel' as if they're using a superior (more expensive and exclusive) product and therefore THEY feel superior.

I've been asked twice in the last couple weeks why I don't have an iPhone...and it was with a definite condescending tone....as in iPhones are for the upper class and everyone else using an Android is lower class. There seems to be a stigma there.

Wonder what they would have thought if I bothered to explain that I use a Blackberry. Ha!

Phones have always been a way to demonstrate social standing though. If you ask me, that's why blackberry got popular in the first place, not because they were superior technologically (they were), but because they were exclusive to people of perceived high social standing. In the beginning you had to be a somebody to have a blackberry. And chances were pretty good that if you drove a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, or Range Rover, took a lot of vacations, and dressed in high end clothes, you ALSO had a Blackberry. It was about image and exclusivity. Consumers wanted one, not for what it could do, but for how it made them feel.

Just my two cents.
    People use them because they are user-friendly and work. I think the days of it being special are long over since they are so popular now. But I do know what you are referring to since I know early Mac users that were like that.
    01-21-18 03:55 PM

Just my two cents.
    This is certainly true. Back in the 00s at the Fortune 500 where I worked, employees at the director level and above were issued BlackBerry phones, which amounted to approximately 6% of employees.

At the same time, a BlackBerry came with the understanding that you were available to collaborate during most waking hours seven days a week. This made it a ticket to the Insiders club of executives who made their jobs their highest priority. Strategy, planning, mergers and acquisitions were the topics discussed outside of work hours, and the premise was that the decisions would be made by those who enjoyed that level of intensity.

Once it became relatively easy for people to buy BlackBerry phones from their carriers, we noticed a number of lower ranked employees doing that, even though theirs would not be provisioned for their corporate email account.

The iPhone was extremely popular with those same employees partly for what it could do, and partly because it offered them an alternative luxury device that didn't require corporate permission.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-21-18 04:06 PM
    To some extent the smartphone is now a commodity. There is not much buzz for the latest phone.

I do think today there many BlackBerry owners like the contrarian nature of their phone. They want to show in a visible way that they are individuals. The KEYone makes a statement in a way that a Samsung or iPhone can not do.
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    01-21-18 04:28 PM
    I do think today there many BlackBerry owners like the contrarian nature of their phone. They want to show in a visible way that they are individuals. The KEYone makes a statement in a way that a Samsung or iPhone can not do.
    You're absolutely right, and there's nothing wrong with being a contrarian... UNTIL you start complaining or even DEMANDING to be treated like a mainstream consumer, when you aren't one. The nature of being on the fringe is that you are frequently left behind when that fringe is no longer lucrative (if it ever was), and that needs to be accepted as the price contrarians are going to pay to "go their own way."
    pdr733, Mecca EL and goncal like this.
    01-21-18 08:09 PM
    My passport draws looks sometimes. Then again, the other day I was carrying an ipod 5th gen, and someone asked me what kind of phone it was, if it was a Blackberry.

Ipod and blackberry look nothing alike! I think he was just used to seeing me with a blackberry and figured this was some new model....

Signature: Still typing away on my Passport SE!
    gallouly likes this.
    01-21-18 08:13 PM
    You're absolutely right, and there's nothing wrong with being a contrarian... UNTIL you start complaining or even DEMANDING to be treated like a mainstream consumer, when you aren't one. The nature of being on the fringe is that you are frequently left behind when that fringe is no longer lucrative (if it ever was), and that needs to be accepted as the price contrarians are going to pay to "go their own way."
    But apparently its alright to complain about people who aren't satisfied by the status quo and who express their opinions and demand that they either accept what the mass market offers or shut up about it? Wow.

Why do you care what other people complain about or demand in an open forum? I say people should feel free to complain about and demand whatever they choose. Conformity is for the weak of mind and spirit.

Let's face it. Mobile phones in 2018 are pretty boring and mediocre, having become little more than a Swiss army knife of convenient compromises.

They are not as good for photos as real cameras. They are not as good at audio as real digital music players.
    They are not as good at written communications as PCs.
    They are not as good at phone calls as simpler, dedicated phones
    They are not as good at gaming as dedicated gaming platforms (including PCs).
    They are not as good for reading as dedicated e-readers.

What they are useful for is convenience: 1) taking "good enough" photos and sharing them easily; 2) GPS/mapping applications; 3) short messages; 4) mediocre media playback and reading; 5) simple, distracting games. 6) making "good enough" phone calls.

Of course the mass market is anything but discerning. Consumers love gadgets, and companies love having universal platforms to serve their rent/stream/subscribe/advertise business models.

But saying that a dominant business model based on shiny gadgets, portable mediocrity and easy consumption should meet the needs of all users, and that people out of the mainstream shouldn't complain or demand better is to accept that mediocrity and sameness are all we deserve.

I respectfully disagree. I say people should be loud and boisterous about demanding better.

elfabio80, Asvertus and goncal like this.
    01-22-18 04:49 AM
    But apparently its alright to complain about people who aren't satisfied by the status quo and who express their opinions and demand that they either accept what the mass market offers or shut up about it? Wow.

Why do you care what other people complain about or demand in an open forum? I say people should feel free to complain about and demand whatever they choose. Conformity is for the weak of mind and spirit.

Let's face it. Mobile phones in 2018 are pretty boring and mediocre, having become little more than a Swiss army knife of convenient compromises.

They are not as good for photos as real cameras. They are not as good at audio as real digital music players.

What they are useful for is convenience: 1) taking "good enough" photos and sharing them easily; 2) GPS/mapping applications; 3) short messages; 4) mediocre media playback and reading; 5) simple, distracting games. 6) making "good enough" phone calls.

Of course the mass market is anything but discerning. Consumers love gadgets, and companies love having universal platforms to serve their rent/stream/subscribe/advertise business models.

But saying that a dominant business model based on shiny gadgets, portable mediocrity and easy consumption should meet the needs of all users, and that people out of the mainstream shouldn't complain or demand better is to accept that mediocrity and sameness are all we deserve.

I respectfully disagree. I say people should be loud and boisterous about demanding better.

+1
    01-22-18 06:48 AM
    Cool story bro.
    01-22-18 07:04 AM

Difference in demanding better, and expecting BlackBerry to provide it.

Anyone (OP) expecting "more" form BlackBerry at this point is wasting their time, no matter how loud and boisterous they get. BlackBerry is out of the hardware business and doesn't care about past consumer customers.... they never have been from my experience - STORM > PlayBook and Z10 (BB10 in general).

Smartphones is a tiny little license division that Chen hardly mentions anymore.... If you like BBMo or a form factor that BlackBerry is known for... the only thing the "MARKET" is going to hear, is the movement of money. As for BBOS and BB10, ships are sinking and water is coming over the bow... it's your choice how much longer you want to hold on, but nothing you do will change the fact that their time has come and gone.
    01-22-18 07:18 AM
    Reading this has given me an idea.
    I think we need a forum for CB fan fiction.
    We have one. You're here now.

More alternate realities in this subforum than Black Mirror and Electric Dreams combined.
    01-22-18 07:24 AM

People demand better all the time, but when better comes out, nobody buys it. Because cell phones have already now crossed the taboo $1000 barrier, but that's still cheaper and far more ergonomic than having to tote around a flip phone, high-end DAC, portable gaming system, laptop, and Kindle in a box all the time. Instead we have One device to rule them all...

When someone really wants one item in your list to be the best experience they will buy that specific item. But having a phone that has such a broad spectrum of uses really is a plus. And there's no substitute for those impromptu moments when you would otherwise smack your forehead and wished you had brought x with you.

A phone that met all your criteria would run between $2000 and $3000, possibly more. Maybe you would buy it. Maybe 10 or 15 other people would too. But no manufacturer is going to take the risk because they all know it will fail miserably. Phones have been boring for years. All we get are incremental spec bumps and not insignificant price increases. But the next great thing hasn't been invented yet so we slog along with it.

I don't even know how yet another BB10 whine thread got derailed this far anyway. Everybody claims there were no choices but you look in the graveyard and you have around half a dozen dead and buried OS'es and others like Sailfish or Tizen with a foot on the banana peel.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-22-18 07:38 AM
    Difference in demanding better, and expecting BlackBerry to provide it.

Anyone (OP) expecting "more" form BlackBerry at this point is wasting their time, no matter how loud and boisterous they get. BlackBerry is out of the hardware business and doesn't care about past consumer customers.... they never have been from my experience - STORM > PlayBook and Z10 (BB10 in general).

Smartphones is a tiny little license division that Chen hardly mentions anymore.... If you like BBMo or a form factor that BlackBerry is known for... the only thing the "MARKET" is going to hear, is the movement of money. As for BBOS and BB10, ships are sinking and water is coming over the bow... it's your choice how much longer you want to hold on, but nothing you do will change the fact that their time has come and gone.
    Yeah. It's not rational to expect much more from any of the current smartphone players, but absolutely not from BlackBerry. I was just defending the right to complain and demand, not to rationally expect! :-)

01-22-18 07:41 AM
    People demand better all the time, but when better comes out, nobody buys it. Because cell phones have already now crossed the taboo $1000 barrier, but that's still cheaper and far more ergonomic than having to tote around a flip phone, high-end DAC, portable gaming system, laptop, and Kindle in a box all the time. Instead we have One device to rule them all...

When someone really wants one item in your list to be the best experience they will buy that specific item. But having a phone that has such a broad spectrum of uses really is a plus. And there's no substitute for those impromptu moments when you would otherwise smack your forehead and wished you had brought x with you.

A phone that met all your criteria would run between $2000 and $3000, possibly more. Maybe you would buy it. Maybe 10 or 15 other people would too. But no manufacturer is going to take the risk because they all know it will fail miserably. Phones have been boring for years. All we get are incremental spec bumps and not insignificant price increases. But the next great thing hasn't been invented yet so we slog along with it.

I don't even know how yet another BB10 whine thread got derailed this far anyway. Everybody claims there were no choices but you look in the graveyard and you have around half a dozen dead and buried OS'es and others like Sailfish or Tizen with a foot on the banana peel.
    I don't think it's physically possible for a phone to do all those things properly, at any price. I was just explaining why phones are inherently mediocre, at any price.

Qorax likes this.
    01-22-18 07:46 AM
    I don't think it's physically possible for a phone to do all those things properly, at any price. I was just explaining why phones are inherently mediocre, at any price.

I think most of the boxes could be checked... anything that doesn't require more CPU power than Qualcomm gives us with its incremental updates, so the gaming part wouldn't happen. The phone wouldn't be the smallest thing in the world for sure though, but I like durable bulky phones anyway. The camera, screen, DAC/amp, antenna, microphone, and speaker could all be sourced from top component makers. If I was rich I'd have such a beast built just for me to enjoy, to be honest. And it would take the shape of a 4:3 Passport.
    Qorax likes this.
    01-22-18 07:57 AM
277 1234 ...