Usage falls in Canada and the UK.

Here in Australia it is increasing only at snails pace.

What you don't expect to see, is massive gains in the United States. I know this has been spoken about before, but couldn't find the old thread about it and wanted to revisit it with the new figures that seem to point this is no fluke (at least to me anyway)

Is this legit and BB10 picked up after a slow start in the states, against all odds, or is there some other explanation?

StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share

USA BB Mobile Browser usage In numbers:

August 2012 2.84%
    September 2012 2.64%
    October 2012 2.39%
    November 2012 2.23%
    December 2012 1.89%
    January 2013 1.71%
    February 2013 1.61%
    March 2013 1.49%
    April 2013 1.43% (BB10 released in US, until then usage has halved in the past 8 months)
    May 2013 1.38% (BB10 out for 1 month but usage still down, not looking good)
    June 2013 1.38% (The first month that it didn't drop, but still nothing to be happy about)
    July 2013 3.53% (massive jump, undid all the decline from the past year in 1 month)
    August 2013 5.11%
    September 2013 so far 5.94% (Hit 7% by the end of Sep at these rates, that is massive from a market like the US)

Everyone keeps talking about Windows Phone and winning third place with their latest Lumias, well:

USA Windows Phone Mobile Browser Usage in numbers
    August 2012 1.23%
    October 2012 1.08%
    December 2012 1.09%
    March 2013 1.23%
    May 2013 1.31%
    July 2013 1.4%
    September 2013 so far 1.56%

The 1.56% share is small compared to BB 5.94% share. The increase of about 20% from this time last year is nothing compared to BB 130% or so increase and 400% or so increase in the past few months.

USA iOS and Android usage
    Since the rise of BB share since June 2013, we also see iOS drop from 54.85% to 52.07% and Android from 39.36% to 38.18%.

The only 2 to have increased in the past 3 months is BB and Windows (all be it very slightly) at the expense of Android and iOS.

It's unfortunate these stats aren't replicated elsewhere and in traditional BB strongholds such as UK or Canada (UK remains steady but Canada has dropped alot even after BB10 release), however if this success is true, it surely will be just a matter of time before the rest of the world follows.

Yes I know these stat counters might not be 100% accurate, but there must be something to this and if it is true this is a massive story.

I would have never gussed or anything close to it, these usage stats.

Edit: From what I know (I am no expert), statcounter and netmarketshare are 2 of the most reputable stat counters on the web.

I can't check US stats at netmarketshare (apparently it costs $300 a month for that feature haha) but the worldwide marketshare still shows promising numbers and certainly doesn't go against what I saw at statcounter:

BB OS Usage WORLDWIDE alternative source (netmarketshare)
    March, 2013 1.38%
    April, 2013 1.51%
    May, 2013 1.64%
    June, 2013 2.26%
    July, 2013 3.23%
    August, 2013 3.28%
    Last edited by hamzasalam; 09-10-13 at 06:00 AM.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    09-10-13 05:38 AM
    Is this that bogus Site again?
    09-10-13 05:39 AM
    Bogus or not , when they went down , everybody saw it and said ! Whaaat down again , now they rise and they say you cannot trust it.
    It may not be accurate , but it shows they are doing better in the usa than a year ago...
    09-10-13 06:39 AM
    Are these valid metrics? Just wondering...

Hope they are good indicators... not just indicators that we are draining the internet ...

With a silent BlackBerry and so many death reports, it is hard to believe anything

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 07:53 AM
    The 1.56% share is small compared to BB 5.94% share. The increase of about 20% from this time last year is nothing compared to BB 130% or so increase and 400% or so increase in the past few months.

USA iOS and Android usage
    Since the rise of BB share since June 2013, we also see iOS drop from 54.85% to 52.07% and Android from 39.36% to 38.18%.

The only 2 to have increased in the past 3 months is BB and Windows (all be it very slightly) at the expense of Android and iOS.

It's unfortunate these stats aren't replicated elsewhere and in traditional BB strongholds such as UK or Canada (UK remains steady but Canada has dropped alot even after BB10 release), however if this success is true, it surely will be just a matter of time before the rest of the world follows.

Yes I know these stat counters might not be 100% accurate, but there must be something to this and if it is true this is a massive story.

I would have never gussed or anything close to it, these usage stats.

Edit: From what I know (I am no expert), statcounter and netmarketshare are 2 of the most reputable stat counters on the web.

I can't check US stats at netmarketshare (apparently it costs $300 a month for that feature haha) but the worldwide marketshare still shows promising numbers and certainly doesn't go against what I saw at statcounter:

BB OS Usage WORLDWIDE alternative source (netmarketshare)
    March, 2013 1.38%
    April, 2013 1.51%
    May, 2013 1.64%
    June, 2013 2.26%
    July, 2013 3.23%
    August, 2013 3.28%
    You need to apply a sanity check to any stats. Statcounter and Netmarketshare measures the activity of the installed base, which is around 70 million BB handsets worldwide and 6 million in USA.
    For that installed base to increase more than 100% Blackberry would have had to sell more than 70 million BB handsets over the last 6 months, or more than 6 million in USA.

Now does that not seem unlikely? Ipso facto you should ignore all Statcounter and Netmarketshare numbers and wait for the earnings call.
    09-11-13 04:29 PM
    In Canada (Toronto, GTA), I'm seeing Z10s increasingly. Might be related to the price drop with carriers.

But yeah, almost every day now for the last week or so. Mostly female actually (that I've noticed).

Q10s, not so much. Except when I'm at a TIFF related function (Toronto International Film Festival). Then, yeah, more Q10s.

Anecdotally, I'm thinking that the full touch is BlackBerry's future, not the QWERTY model.
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    09-11-13 04:34 PM
    I already answered this issue 2 months ago --- and it was confirmed by statcounter (20% market share drop in Canada is the same as 2% market share increase in US). Netmarketshare under-counted BB10 as safari before, so now there is a sudden rise in netmarketshare.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...5/#post8798922

StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share
    09-12-13 04:50 PM
    I already answered this issue 2 months ago --- and it was confirmed by statcounter (20% market share drop in Canada is the same as 2% market share increase in US). Netmarketshare under-counted BB10 as safari before, so now there is a sudden rise in netmarketshare.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...5/#post8798922

But you are forgetting where the mis-allocated BB data in Canada came from - SE Asia.
    09-12-13 05:25 PM
    But you are forgetting where the mis-allocated BB data in Canada came from - SE Asia.
    I didn't forget that --- but the fact remains that I offered the correct answer EVEN BEFORE statcounter did. Statcounter added their explanation weeks later. I gave out the correct answer within 24 hours (on July 10) after statcounter changed their geolocation database on July 9.
    09-12-13 05:43 PM
    Technically, couldn't this just mean that BlackBerry users are using the internet on their phones more than they used to?
    howarmat likes this.
    09-12-13 05:49 PM
    Technically, couldn't this just mean that BlackBerry users are using the internet on their phones more than they used to?
    Maybe but that is a significant jump from 1% to 5%

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 05:52 PM
    As I said in my original July 10 post, there are many factors in the rise of the market share numbers.

(1) Crackberry Kevin has been saying it for the last 2 years that analytics companies had been under-counting Playbook browsers as safari browsers. So now that analytics companies are beginning to correctly count BB10 browsers as Blackberry --- there is a OVER-count by Wall Street analysts. That caused the stock price to crash after BBRY reported their quarterly earnings.
    (2) Blackberry has been saying that they use a different browser user agent ID on BB10 because webmasters have been sending out basically bare-boned WAP websites to legacy blackberry 5-6-7 browsers even though the older browsers are much more capable. Those bare-boned websites caused blackberry users to not do much web browsing before. Now that BB10 browsers are served with more capable web contents, the BB10 users are browsing more.
    (3) Then there is the mis-identification of American data traffic as Canadian data traffic. Canada didn't suddenly collapse and US didn't suddenly skyrocket.
    Last edited by samab; 09-12-13 at 06:14 PM.
    Bla1ze and app_Developer like this.
    09-12-13 06:03 PM
    Maybe but that is a significant jump from 1% to 5%

Posted via CB10
    Cool. Well I hope this is indicative of a real pattern then.
    09-12-13 06:13 PM
    Cool. Well I hope this is indicative of a real pattern then.
    The pattern is real but mostly only because it was wrong before. Samab's post highlights most of what was wrong.
    09-12-13 06:18 PM
    I will point out that I use desktop mode, which from my understanding doesn't report BlackBerry as my browser... from my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 09:45 PM
    I will point out that I use desktop mode, which from my understanding doesn't report BlackBerry as my browser... from my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    That is correct, it reports it as Google Chrome.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    09-12-13 10:46 PM
    good stuff, sprint release definitely helped. Z30 needs to do well, hopefully they get a good sales team in US going if they mean to re-new their team. Plus some advertising like microsoft, BlackBerry could be eating apple away in no time
    09-12-13 11:13 PM
    The pattern is real but mostly only because it was wrong before. Samab's post highlights most of what was wrong.
    So the stats are basically a reflection of wrongs being righted?
    09-12-13 11:13 PM
    Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 12:36 AM
    Thanks all for the insights and explanations. What about the netmarketshare figures showing BlackBerry usage almost tripling since BlackBerry 10 release?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 02:16 AM
    Thanks all for the insights and explanations. What about the netmarketshare figures showing BlackBerry usage almost tripling since BlackBerry 10 release?

Posted via CB10
    If you look at the WORLDWIDE statcounter numbers --- Blackberry had NEVER went below 3%.

So netmarketshare showing Blackberry with 1% WORLDWIDE --- that's clearly wrong in the past.

Market share for browsers, operating systems and search engines | News

So NOW netmarketshare corrected their numbers --- and BOTH statcounter and netmarketshare are showing similar numbers in the mid 3% range.

And most importantly, because these are statcounter's and netmarketshare's screw-ups --- they will never highlight their own mistakes in their own press releases. So 2 things happen --- (1) bloggers will still use old wrong data and (2) a few Wall Street analysts will incorrectly think that Blackberry sold 5 million BB10 phones in the US because statcounter daily US numbers is showing Blackberry getting 6% market share in the US. And when Blackberry releases their earnings numbers, the stock price would crash because they would miss that big number.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os...30814-20130912
    Last edited by samab; 09-13-13 at 01:07 PM.
    09-13-13 12:50 PM
    You need to apply a sanity check to any stats. Statcounter and Netmarketshare measures the activity of the installed base, which is around 70 million BB handsets worldwide and 6 million in USA.
    For that installed base to increase more than 100% Blackberry would have had to sell more than 70 million BB handsets over the last 6 months, or more than 6 million in USA.
    WRONG!!!

What the numbers suggest is a doubling of web activity using BB devices. That could be something as simple as the same number of users viewing twice as many pages which are included in the data collection sample set, or it could be 1/4 the number of users viewing mamy more pages by smartphone browser. Or any other combination of variables which multiplies out to more page hits.

IOW all these statistics are meaningless without more background data.

Sent from an Otterbox wrapped Samsung Galaxy.
    09-13-13 01:04 PM
    WRONG!!!

What the numbers suggest is a doubling of web activity using BB devices. That could be something as simple as the same number of users viewing twice as many pages which are included in the data collection sample set, or it could be 1/4 the number of users viewing mamy more pages by smartphone browser. Or any other combination of variables which multiplies out to more page hits.

IOW all these statistics are meaningless without more background data.

Sent from an Otterbox wrapped Samsung Galaxy.
    Your wrong is pretty empathic, but I agree the numbers are meaningless.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    09-13-13 01:51 PM
    No good can come from a statscounter thread. All this shows is that BB usage is up, not individual users. You could have a group of users using the web browser non-stop and could skew the data. I will concede it's always better to see more web usage than to see declining web usage, so while this really doesn't prove that Blackberry is taking hold, it's comforting to see that at least declines aren't being seen on statscounter. Not sure what the decline in Canada and UK could be.
    09-13-13 03:38 PM
    Can't agree more with Brandon on more Web usage is better than declining Web usage. This may mean that better browser in BB10 encouraged more Web usage. Whatever it is, it's encouraging.

Post via CB Z10
    09-13-13 03:49 PM
26 12