If anything, they're all following Windows, cuz that's been around for decades...
    Windows computer o's maybe in some forms, but smartphone wise BlackBerry's been around longer then most including Microsoft. But if it comes down to o's features you could far back.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Tobacconist|Tattoos - C00016D82
    11-10-13 05:37 PM
    Other than it being based off QNX, the only other significant feature of BB10 is the hub.

With each release Android is significantly improving performance and stability. There's a reason why all other mobile OSes follow Android's footsteps.
    Lol I might be a member of a BlackBerry enthusiast site, but even the average tech user knows that there's more to BB10 than the Hub and the fact that it's built on QNX.

You also mentioned that Android significantly improves performance and stability with each release, well I would hope so, since they generally release OS updates with a new class of devices each year and are not immediately available to older phones. That's a characteristic that mobile consumers expect of any software company, and I honestly think Apple, M$ and BlackBerry have all achieved similar results with each OS update.

In regards to the thread's topic, I would say that it may introduce some confusion into the marketplace - particularly for the tech-impaired - when consumers hear that they would be able to download Android apps from the Google Play Store onto BlackBerry devices, and I think the more lazy reporters will publish articles/news stories about how BlackBerry has "gone Android." Since a lot of people don't really understand the underlying differences in OS's, if BlackBerry does decide to adopt the Play Store then they better have ready the clearest of public release stories explaining exactly what this means for the platform, as well as what it doesn't mean. With Mr. Chen though I think they'll be much more cognizant of the issues surrounding software changes/releases and how important it is to sell their story (still haven't seen much from BlackBerry publicizing the massive 10.2 update...)

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 06:40 PM
    Not to say it in a bad way, but options and new features arn't exactly turning it into Android.
    Apple pretty much invented the touch screen phone, did every other phone turn into an iPhone? Nope. So there's just some things that people universally want in a mobile device.
    11-10-13 06:43 PM
    Windows computer o's maybe in some forms, but smartphone wise BlackBerry's been around longer then most including Microsoft. But if it comes down to o's features you could far back.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Tobacconist|Tattoos - C00016D82
    I thought the "decades" remark would make it obvious that I wasn't talking about Windows Phone...

Was that not clear??

11-13-13 12:10 AM
    I don't really understand why Google is allowing BB to use the Play Store. It's not that I'm against it but that they have really turned away from their Don't Be Evil motto. Android is becoming less Open Source and much more Google dependent and pretty much blocking others from using their things.
    11-13-13 12:23 AM
    Ios adopted tons of Android features. Yet, an iPhone is still an iPhone. BlackBerry will be fine.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 12:31 AM
    I don't really understand why Google is allowing BB to use the Play Store. It's not that I'm against it but that they have really turned away from their Don't Be Evil motto. Android is becoming less Open Source and much more Google dependent and pretty much blocking others from using their things.
    Have you actually read the official release from BlackBerry? BlackBerry won't be using the play store.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 12:32 AM
    Have you actually read the official release from BlackBerry? BlackBerry won't be using the play store.

Posted via CB10
    Woah my bad I meant to write this in the post about the Play Store "running" on the Z10.
    11-13-13 12:54 AM

Actually Microsoft was in the game about as long as Blackberry. Blackberry released their first smartphone around 2003. Microsoft also did. Though Blackberry did release in mid 2003 while Microsoft in later 2003 (I think). So technically I suppose you can claim BlackBerry's been around longer but that's still kind of silly since Microsoft's first smartphone was based off of Windows CE which has been around for a very long time ('96-97). Blackberry's smartphone was based off of their prior stuff which was like 1999.

As for the original topic of BB10 becoming more Android like, it should be. It should be becoming more Android like, more iOS like and more WP like, etc. It should see what works well for those OSes and then integrate those ideas. It's silly to not want to do something just because someone else did it first. If it works, it works.

Android copied a lot of things from iOS when they first started. iOS has started to copy a lot from Android. BB10 is no exception. It clearly heavily borrowed from webOS.
    11-13-13 01:29 AM
    I have lays like more options which android has. Great to see some features implemented

Posted from my awesome Z30 on O2 UK with 10.2.0.224
    11-13-13 02:19 AM
    No.
    Though I think it's important to follow the trends and implement the best things and make it better.

Its also different in a lot of ways and none of BlackBerry phones are built by Samsung
    11-13-13 02:24 AM
    After the rumors of GPLAY coming to BB10 I got scared like the OP.
    Installed the latest 1055 leak and I can assure you that BlackBerry developers are keep going in different direction. They are building a tool, not a free OS that is actually a super expensive below the service (that's what Android is, all the ads, spying, data collection and so on).

Just a simple example - when will Android include a flashlight in the OS - Never, you need to visit their stupid store and generate traffic downloading one of the gazelion flash lights that don't even work once the screens is off.

And what they give you?
    -Maps that can cashe data on the device, but can not pick a route if your online (you think Google can not make offline maps? No, they just want to see where you going, what you are searching for).
    - Hidden services that track down what you search for, what you buy and so on
    - more hidden services that make sure the previous mention services are always running.

The bottom line is Android is what Google want it to be.
    BB10 so far in less than a year has proven to evolve in the way the users want and I am sure it will stay that way. Android is a tool for Google, BB10 is a tool for the user.

Symbian, Maemo, WebOS, MeeGo, iOS, Android, and finaly peasce with BES10
    11-13-13 02:58 AM
    I think it's not only the wish to get more of the apps I'm missing right now it's the wish to see more people developing for the BlackBerry platform. That's why I welcome the option to get Android Apps running on bb. People will have to notice that an android port is not the best option and may think of releasing a native BlackBerry app if blackberries become more and more common devices. I'm a developer and I have to say that blackberry did a great job on their tools and their support but instagram and spotify should have been one of the key apps to be released with blackberry ten in order to get more people switching back to bb.

greetings from ze shermany.
    11-13-13 03:23 AM
    Well, one option would be to clean up the BBWorld store, clear out all the junk, and use it to highlight very high quality fully native apps. If there was a high enough bar, BlackBerry could even think about minimum guaranteed revenue arrangements for top native developers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I would love a clean AND native only BB World! Would be perfect!

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 05:17 AM
    BlackBerry with Google play store is Bu****it. There is no official statement from both sides and Google play is not an open source store. Cmon.

Just sayin.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 06:05 AM
    Can you blame them? What was some of the first things said? IOS and Android or many for that matter found it difficult to learn. Ok it isn't that hard but. So maybe they are trying to make it less difficult for those people?
    11-13-13 06:42 AM

Just a simple example - when will Android include a flashlight in the OS - Never, you need to visit their stupid store ......
    There are builds of Android that enable a flashlight/torch toggle..., but whatever.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 07:21 AM
    Turning into Android? No.

Using Android features as a crutch to limo us all out of the pit? Absolutely.

Z10 10.2.0.1791 via CB10
    11-13-13 07:52 AM
    BlackBerry should have the option for users whether they choose locked or unlocked android runtime or no runtime at all , and on a corporate setup is the administrator who let you have it if needed and which apps on a user and needs basis through BES10. Then you need to have App World have a little icon on the app to mark which is BlackBerry and which is Android. Then you will end up with 3 choices, pure BlackBerry (extreme security), with Locked Runtime (mixed Security) and with unlocked all open runtime (less secure, general public, teens, etc). Just a though!!!
    1 device, 3 options to choose, from the extremely secure, to general purpose security, to the mundane, this may be the answer BlackBerry needs to offer the world.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 on AT&T
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-13-13 09:33 AM
44 12