Does anyone else agree that BlackBerry should get rid of the drop down menu system, which usually holds the "settings" option, and move all of those options to the right "more" menu?

Issues I have with this implementation:

1) The drop down menu isn't all that intuitive seeing how there's no indication that it's even there.

2) In certain applications, such as drawing apps, the drop menu system gesture just gets in the way if one wants to start a line from the top of the bezel of the phone.

3) I don't really see how it's necessary to have yet another options menu. For crying out loud, there are damn near three of them! Plus removing it would remove some inconsistencies within the OS such as, if one were to swipe down from the top of the screen while in the hub, the quick settings come up instead of the drop down menu. This in itself can be confusing and unintuitive.

So instead of having the drop down menu system, how about just have the quick settings accessible throughout the entire OS with just one swipe? I don't know about you, buy I use my phone one handed most of the time, and using two fingers to access the quick settings within applications isn't all that efficient. Or how about just not have any gesture related to swiping down from the top bezel? Just put the settings options on the right menu and streamline to the bottom of the list so users always know that it's there.

Anyways, what does everyone think?
    Totally disagree.
    08-18-14 05:00 PM
    I just wish the f'in thing was CONSSITANT. I believe this is BB's greatest flaw in the whole BB10 OS. They tried and failed so miserably at creating a universal quick method to access settings. They managed to do it correctly with the PlayBook then they fumbled it so badly I'm afraid it will never be fixed. Seriously, whomever is responsible for this should be really ashamed. ASHAMED. I hope someone important actually reads this and takes it to heart as you sir should hang your head low.

• Swipe down from the top while in, lets say, the Maps app... I get in app settings, help, and about.
    • Swipe down form the top while using the browser, huh, I get the title of the website... I thought this gave me settings.
    • Swipe down from the top while in the Hub, oh I see settings... while there must be a way to access Hub settings from here. Nope.
    • Swipe down from the top while in the BB made Facebook app, nothing... while there must be settings somewhere? Nope, none at all.
    • Swipe down from the top in an Android app... now that's all sorts of confusing. Hide what bar?
    • Phone settings you may ask. Logically speaking those must be the main settings for the whole phone. Nope. Those are hidden in the phone app.
    • Some apps have a link to the help file in their pull down settings menus, but the browsers is in the actual settings page. And, the Hub's is hidden someplace else, I guess.

This is but a small list of things I have noticed or things that have been brought to my attention by a confused less technical user. Sure, it's fine for me or the average CrackBarrian, but I've had to help enough people with it that I can tell it is down right perplexing to some users. That's not to mention this cop-out of a two finger swipe down for quick settings. Yeah, just pile more garbage on top of the garbage, that will fix everything.

Seriously, you'd be hard pressed to convince me that this current method of accessing settings is intuitive or logical in anyway.
    08-18-14 07:44 PM
    Agree with the problem of inconsistency on menu implementation across the board. BlackBerry hasn't led by example there either. The top-swipe for menu is needed for Android apps to simulate the menu button press as well as the ability to hide the navigation bar (that only has back - should maybe add a menu button there to fill the space). So they can't get rid of that, but they need to set better guidelines for the left menu, overflow, and top menu, and actually adhere to them.

The quick settings being accessible in the hub with one swipe makes no sense - it should have the hub settings. Quick settings will just be accessible via the two-finger swipe from top and a single-swipe in the home screen or in the pages of apps.

Many other examples already pointed out.

Posted via CB10
    BeeRanDyn likes this.
    08-18-14 08:14 PM
    Agree with the problem of inconsistency on menu implementation across the board. BlackBerry hasn't led by example there either. The top-swipe for menu is needed for Android apps to simulate the menu button press as well as the ability to hide the navigation bar (that only has back - should maybe add a menu button there to fill the space). So they can't get rid of that, but they need to set better guidelines for the left menu, overflow, and top menu, and actually adhere to them.

The quick settings being accessible in the hub with one swipe makes no sense - it should have the hub settings. Quick settings will just be accessible via the two-finger swipe from top and a single-swipe in the home screen or in the pages of apps.

Many other examples already pointed out.

Posted via CB10
    I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from.
    08-18-14 08:59 PM
    Drop down menu is one of the most efficient features of OS10.

Frosty white Q10/10.2.1.3247
    08-18-14 09:07 PM
    Nope, hope they never touch it. I use the drop down daily, mostly to quickly toggle the sound and for the flashlight.

So NO... I don't want to see it removed.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 09:12 PM
    +1

Browser's only different since it's WebWorks emulating Cascades.

Anyway, I'd rather have to swipe one extra time than rewrite most of the apps in existence.
    It also serves the functionality of allowing touch-only devices to quickly go to the top of a page by hitting the title bar after swiping it into view.

I think they should keep it as is. I think leaving it up to the developer is the best way to go.
    08-18-14 09:24 PM
    I don't mind that settings is in the top menu. Generally, I only adjust the settings the first few times I use the app (depending on what it is, of course) then never touch it again, so having it in the top menu means it's out of the way.
    08-18-14 09:27 PM
    The Application Menu is intended to be a place where non-frequent but accessible from everywhere actions are stored. Usually, this is the settings, but depending on the frequency of use, Settings could be placed somewhere else

I do not see how the creator of Application Menu should be ashamed. In fact, he should pat himself in the back, buy some beer and have fun, ignoring people that can't bother to think

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-18-14 10:11 PM
    I do not see how the creator of Application Menu should be ashamed. In fact, he should pat himself in the back, buy some beer and have fun, ignoring people that can't bother to think

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    Feeling a little sensitive tonight, are we?
    08-18-14 10:42 PM
    Feeling a little sensitive tonight, are we?
    I find that lack of knowledge should not be used as an excuse to be an ignorant and hurl out insults. When you know what you're talking about, insulting means the other party f***ed up real bad, but when you don't it's just ignorant and non-constructive

If everyone uses the "it's not directed to you" excuse, the result is a German pastor writing about the situation

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-18-14 11:56 PM
    Nope, hope they never touch it. I use the drop down daily, mostly to quickly toggle the sound and for the flashlight.

So NO... I don't want to see it removed.

Posted via CB10
    Lol. OP means this.

BlackBerry should scrap the drop down menu system.-img_20140819_012301.png

Not Quick settings.

Posted via CB10
    anon8656116 likes this.
    08-19-14 12:23 AM
    In my experience, if the word "inconsistent" can be used when describing a product, the product needs to be changed.
    I agree it is inconsistent. But you mentioned several reasons for wanting it changed. I disagree with 2 of your reasons. Agree with the inconsistency argument. But that's not enough to see it changed. In my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 12:26 AM
    Lol. OP means this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140819_012301.png 
Views:	568 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	291677

Not Quick settings.

Posted via CB10
    The technical term is "Application Menu"

https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...b10/menus.html
    08-19-14 01:31 AM
    I think it is a good concept that needs to be enriched. I don't see why different applications don't have quick settings for them. With on-off switches, just like the system wide quick settings. I can think of a lot of on-off switches buried in different apps settings menus that I'd love to be able to turn on or off quicker.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    08-19-14 02:16 AM
    Unfortunately no matter how its changed, or stays the same, some people will never be happy.

There's an old saying that goes something like this:

You can't please all the people all the time, but you can please half the people half of the time.

And that is all that BlackBerry needs to do t this point. From just this thread alone it seems like the majority of crackberrians want it left just the way it is, me included. Although I can agree on some of your points of inconsistencies within the dropdown/quick settings menus.
    08-19-14 06:10 AM
    I'd like a notification panel drop down menu like on the bbos but it won't happen.

Posted via CB10
    Peek gesture much? Up to see what kind of new messages you've received, and to the right to see your list? It doesn't any easier than that.
    08-19-14 09:53 AM
    I just wish the f'in thing was CONSSITANT. I believe this is BB's greatest flaw in the whole BB10 OS. They tried and failed so miserably at creating a universal quick method to access settings. They managed to do it correctly with the PlayBook then they fumbled it so badly I'm afraid it will never be fixed. Seriously, whomever is responsible for this should be really ashamed. ASHAMED. I hope someone important actually reads this and takes it to heart as you sir should hang your head low.

• Swipe down from the top while in, lets say, the Maps app... I get in app settings, help, and about.
    • Swipe down form the top while using the browser, huh, I get the title of the website... I thought this gave me settings.
    • Swipe down from the top while in the Hub, oh I see settings... while there must be a way to access Hub settings from here. Nope.
    • Swipe down from the top while in the BB made Facebook app, nothing... while there must be settings somewhere? Nope, none at all.
    • Swipe down from the top in an Android app... now that's all sorts of confusing. Hide what bar?
    • Phone settings you may ask. Logically speaking those must be the main settings for the whole phone. Nope. Those are hidden in the phone app.
    • Some apps have a link to the help file in their pull down settings menus, but the browsers is in the actual settings page. And, the Hub's is hidden someplace else, I guess.

This is but a small list of things I have noticed or things that have been brought to my attention by a confused less technical user. Sure, it's fine for me or the average CrackBarrian, but I've had to help enough people with it that I can tell it is down right perplexing to some users. That's not to mention this cop-out of a two finger swipe down for quick settings. Yeah, just pile more garbage on top of the garbage, that will fix everything.

Seriously, you'd be hard pressed to convince me that this current method of accessing settings is intuitive or logical in anyway.
    In all fairness, the application menu is pretty consistent with the exception of the Hub and the browser, both of which break with lots of other design guidelines too. Some apps, like Facebook, don’t make use of the application menu at all, which is why you can’t access it. That’s up to the developer. Facebook, for instance, doesn’t even have settings, aside from account and privacy settings that don’t have anything to do with the app itself. Disabling the application menu keeps the app simpler, I think. I also think that most apps use the application menu properly, including many third-party apps. Android apps obviously don’t have an application menu, because Android doesn’t have an equivalent of this. Instead, the application menu is used to show/hide the action bar (a setting!), whereas application settings are built into the Android app itself.

I agree with the phone settings, those make less sense. That’s poor thinking on BlackBerry’s part. But that has nothing to do with the application menu itself.

I think the application menu is a great idea. I remember that the tutorial demonstrated it and it works in nearly every app. Just compare this with the competition: on Android, menus are all over the place. Google only suggested a fixed position for the settings fairly late (and it’s far from uniform at this point). On iOS, settings are often part of the visible structure of the app and take away space that could be used better. Both lack consistency. iOS also has this awkward list of application settings in the system settings, which are often overlooked. I think BlackBerry has taken the right approach: a hidden menu accessible from almost everywhere within the app, implemented by many native developers.
    08-19-14 02:18 PM
    You're probably not the only one, but there's probably only a few that would agree. I like the drop down menu and find it quite intuitive.

Posted via CB10 from the AWESOME Z30; because I know!
    08-19-14 07:11 PM
    You sir are on crack. It is one of my most used thong ob my phone..

I dont have to fiddle around in menus turning my wifi on and off, my profiles, flashlight when I need it (it comesbin handy).

If anything they should add more options to it.

In app setting drop downs just needs to be updated to more useful like quick setting toggles.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 07:16 PM
    You sir are on crack. It is one of my most used thong ob my phone..

I dont have to fiddle around in menus turning my wifi on and off, my profiles, flashlight when I need it (it comesbin handy).

If anything they should add more options to it.

In app setting drop downs just needs to be updated to more useful like quick setting toggles.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair the OP is talking about the application menu, not the quick settings menu. But you're not the only one to make that mistake.
    08-19-14 08:28 PM
    To be fair the OP is talking about the application menu, not the quick settings menu. But you're not the only one to make that mistake.
    I did address both of them to avoid the mistake

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 08:46 PM
    Disagree. I like the drop down menu

Posted Via CB10 using my new Z30
    08-19-14 08:49 PM
    Can someone change the name of this thread and remove the "drop down menu" bit. 90% of the posts in this thread are irrelevant to the discussion

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 09:05 PM
    Can someone change the name of this thread and remove the "drop down menu" bit. 90% of the posts in this thread are irrelevant to the discussion

Posted via CB10
    Yes, please do. According to a previous response the accurate term is "Application Menu", not "drop down menu."
    08-19-14 10:10 PM
76 1234