I agree with the OP. The "pull down" menu/options don't seem necessary. I'd rather have universal access to quick settings with a single swipe down.
    Having said that, I don't think BlackBerry will be implementing this seeing as they've already announced the 2-finger swipe down gesture for quick settings. Totally counter intuitive and definitely one of the poorer BlackBerry 10 design choices in my opinion.
    Agree with you and OP 100% on this. Half the people responding in this thread don't even know what OP is complaining about.

Single finger swipe down from the top should always bring quicksettings, anywhere in the OS or in any app. All of the app settings should be in the overflow menu. Its totally inconsistent and unintuitive as it stands.

Even BlackBerry doesnt follow this. In some apps the swipe down brings settings, but in the browser, a swipe from the top shows the webpage title, in the hub it brings down quick settings, in the music app it basically serves 0 purpose.

Like you said, it looks as tho BlackBerry isnt going to change this any time soon with the intro of the two finger swipe, which is impossible to do one handed. Its a shame, it would help to clean up the BB10 UI

Posted via CB10
    HigherThanMars likes this.
    08-18-14 03:38 AM
    Typical right hander wants it all on the right hand side...

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 03:40 AM
    The drop down menu is well thought out and organized.

It's convenient, accessible and most importantly, the drop down menu distinguishes the options and features that affect the entire device versus those that affect only the app you're using. If it were all in the same "region", imagine the confusion then.
    08-18-14 06:08 AM
    I'm for the drop down menu and can not wait for the two finger down from anywhere coming with OS 10.3! How could anyone not like the simplicity of BB10 from every angle? So easy to use gestures! So well placed and incredibly efficient! Yes I love everything about my BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10 Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2180
    08-18-14 06:49 AM
    Drop down better known as Quick Settings is great. What better way to get to Network settings for Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
    Also have Beside Mode in mine. As far as OP with a drawing app, that might be a bit of a nuisance.
    08-18-14 08:34 AM
    I get it. Do I agree? Well, not so much; but only because I don't use apps that have this issue.

I think a simple solution to this would be an option to disable the the quicksettings dropdown. Since you can access "settings" multiple ways, and "quick settings" even has it's own option, why not add a simple checkbox to the "quick settings" menu to enable/disable it. That way you can disable the dropdown gesture when you are in drawing or other apps that may have an interfering gesture.

TA DA ! Problem Solved.

...NEXT !
    08-18-14 08:38 AM
    loving my drop down menu.

Drop it likes its hot...
    08-18-14 08:51 AM
    I like the quick settings pull down menu.

I do not like the arbitrary drop down menu in apps that only holds "settings" and "about". In many apps built for blackberry you have a bottom left button for a menu to move around. A bottom right "overflow" menu that changes depending on what category you are in on the left menu and a drop down menu on top with settings and stuff. It does seem a bit redundant plus there doesn't seem to be a standard. Sometimes in simpler apps the settings are in the bottom right overflow menu. Sometimes the top menu has nothing in it.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    08-18-14 09:12 AM
    I like the quick settings pull down menu.

I do not like the arbitrary drop down menu in apps that only holds "settings" and "about". ....... Sometimes in simpler apps the settings are in the bottom right overflow menu. Sometimes the top menu has nothing in it.
    I agree... But this is down to the app developers.

When used correctly, the drop down menu can have tons of useful features.
    08-18-14 09:16 AM
    Just a reminder - OP means in-app settings drop-down menu.
    08-18-14 09:16 AM
    In that case, it is the app developer OP should be writing to, if not referring to Quick Settings.
    BlackBerry cannot change that for the individual apps, only developer can.
    08-18-14 09:26 AM
    I completely agree with OP.
    There are just to many ways in an app sometimes to search for one specific thing. You have to swipe right, press settings and swipe down. It's to much, to confusing and makes me lose time (not that my time is valuable).
    BeeRanDyn likes this.
    08-18-14 10:31 AM
    Looking at this from a developer 's point of view changing the swipe down might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. None of the things that regular users thought might discourage developers are the least concern to me. But significant changes to the way applications interface with the OS are huge. If this were to change I would have to re-design then re-write most of my applications. Many don't have an action bar and overflow menu because with the pulldown available I can use the bottom real estate for other things. This is important to Q, of course, but Z users appreciate the extra information availability as well.

The pull down is also the only bezel based gesture available to applications. It doesn't have to display a menu but that is the specified behaviour for standard applications. The browser is on example of a different behaviour, but others are possible.

Finally the Hub displays the quick setting because it is part of the "homescreen" like the app grid and active frame screen, not just an application.

Posted via CB10
    thurask and moyah8 like this.
    08-18-14 01:04 PM
    I love the drop down menu as well, yeah it's not obvious that it's there in the beginning but it's easy to learn once you start exploring your phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 01:17 PM
    I already think the house has spoken. But I figured I would share too.

1) The drop down menu isn't all that intuitive seeing how there's no indication that it's even there.

[It is the point. It's completely out of the way unless needed.]

2) In certain applications, such as drawing apps, the drop menu system gesture just gets in the way if one wants to start a line from the top of the bezel of the phone.

[covered already_ app developers issue write them.]

3) I don't really see how it's necessary to have yet another options menu. For crying out loud, there are damn near three of them! Plus removing it would remove some inconsistencies within the OS such as, if one were to swipe down from the top of the screen while in the hub, the quick settings come up instead of the drop down menu. This in itself can be confusing and unintuitive.

[I actually love that it is more than 1 way to skin a cat. I think it helps not only long time BlackBerry users but people coming from other OSes find a way to get what they need to get done without hunting around for only 1 way to do it. So if you know it's there use it.]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not part of the tutorial when you first get your phone. If it is...then everyone knows it's there.
    My vote leave it.

Secret squirreling with my Q. DPI Private Investigations ?C0001FE5D ?
    It's been in the tutorial for BlackBerry 10 since it launched.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 01:22 PM
    I think the app setting menu and the quick setting should be merged into one gesture.

So you swipe down for the app setting menu but if you keep swiping down then the quick setting starts to appear moving the app settings down.
    BeeRanDyn and anon8656116 like this.
    08-18-14 01:25 PM
    I think the app setting menu and the quick setting should be merged into one gesture.

So you swipe down for the app setting menu but if you keep swiping down then the quick setting starts to appear moving the app settings down.
    That's not a bad idea.
    08-18-14 01:29 PM
    I believe they're making the drop down accessible on all screens including when you're using in an app for 10.3, so that should make it even more useful and efficient to use
    No, that's the Quick Settings menu, and that will be accessed with a two-finger swipe down from the top. OP is talking about the app-specific drop down menu.
    08-18-14 02:05 PM
    I believe they're making the drop down accessible on all screens including when you're using in an app for 10.3, so that should make it even more useful and efficient to use
    Yes, I am aware of this but as I mentioned, most people use their devices with a single hand. So, having to use two fingers to access the quick settings is almost as less efficient as having to swipe out of an application and swipe down from the top bezel. Yes, there are more steps involved but that is all within the OS. In comparison to the extra "physical" steps it takes to use two fingers to swipe down from the top bezel within an application, the efficiency is practically the same. It's essentially a trade off of motions: virtual and physical.
    08-18-14 02:16 PM
    It's already inconsistent. The browser settings are not accessed from a top swipe. Neither is the hub.

Posted via CB10
    In my experience, if the word "inconsistent" can be used when describing a product, the product needs to be changed.
    08-18-14 02:17 PM
    Looking at this from a developer 's point of view changing the swipe down might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. None of the things that regular users thought might discourage developers are the least concern to me. But significant changes to the way applications interface with the OS are huge. If this were to change I would have to re-design then re-write most of my applications. Many don't have an action bar and overflow menu because with the pulldown available I can use the bottom real estate for other things. This is important to Q, of course, but Z users appreciate the extra information availability as well.

The pull down is also the only bezel based gesture available to applications. It doesn't have to display a menu but that is the specified behaviour for standard applications. The browser is on example of a different behaviour, but others are possible.

Finally the Hub displays the quick setting because it is part of the "homescreen" like the app grid and active frame screen, not just an application.

Posted via CB10
    +1

Browser's only different since it's WebWorks emulating Cascades.

Anyway, I'd rather have to swipe one extra time than rewrite most of the apps in existence.
    southlander likes this.
    08-18-14 02:20 PM
    I love drop down menus in general...but I hate the look of the BlackBerry drop down menu. it sucks in my opinion. It's boring and dull. The ios one has colors and is bright and fun, and the Samsung on sticks out and nice to look at. I want a drop down menu, I just want it changed visually (and maybe also add a music player display so you can ff/rewind, pause, switch songs, see what song is playing.. etc.)

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 02:34 PM
    +1

Anyway, I'd rather have to swipe one extra time than rewrite most of the apps in existence.
    Okay, I understand. But, hypothetically speaking, if the consumer/prosumer wanted the top bezel gesture removed for what ever understandable reason, and BlackBerry actually followed through with this, then you would have no choice to rewrite your apps because you essentially work for the consumer.
    08-18-14 02:35 PM
    Okay, I understand. But, hypothetically speaking, if the consumer/prosumer wanted the top bezel gesture removed for what ever understandable reason, and BlackBerry actually followed through with this, then you would have no choice to rewrite your apps because you essentially work for the consumer.
    Or finally give up and go write for a stable OS.

You have to remember that developers are already refactoring code for nearly every release of the OS, or they should be, to take advantage of new features. I don't mind that because you end up with a better product.

Remember it isn't just getting rid of one gesture, you have to factor in the effects of replacing the capability with something else, if you can.

If one of these threads came up with an idea that didn't involve giving up so much capability I would support it and re-write gladly.

Posted via CB10
    BeeRanDyn likes this.
    08-18-14 03:12 PM
    As a person using my cell for business and travelling often, I agree and disagree with the OP. I love the drop down for quick access to WIFI, bluetooth and airplane mode. The setting icon is just a repeat but the other options are great. I was just sitting beside a business person with an IPhone on the plane this morning. I just watched him do many gestures maybe 4 or 5 before he could perform the task, within 2 gestures mine was done. I see as a general user you have no use for it but as for business user, it's one of the best features.
    pttptppt likes this.
    08-18-14 04:13 PM
76 1234