Minus the Android OS of course.

My bad *** Passport....
    03-13-16 09:43 PM
    Off course. And why not like note series?
    03-13-16 09:49 PM
    Do not set your sights so low!

I look at how HP is developing and marketing its Elite x3 Windows 10 phone and think wistfully of what BB could have done here. After a number of top companies approached HP with a request that HP develop a Windows phone (because they did not like the drawbacks of Android and iOS, especially in these freebooting days of BYOD), HP went away and started sketching out such a device. The important point is that HP did not just design a phone and punt it out. They asked their target market what it wanted. When that market said 'Everything' HP did not get upset and talk about the impossibility of doing that. They went off and put 'everything' in it. Now, over 30 companies are road testing the phone and, obviously, providing feedback.

Even now, the specs are to die for, there is an assured market and there will be no gigantic marketing costs (because the consumer market is not HP's target). However, the consumer who wants a solid business phone will be able to get her hands on it.

The Elite is part of an integrated system with a proper port device and even a shell laptop into which the phone integrates.

As BB management continually touts phones and software as being for business one can only lament a lost opportunity. Especially the part about asking its target market what it wants.

Sent from my Z30
    Alain_A, Killjoyhere and guru2BP like this.
    03-13-16 11:03 PM
    Do not set your sights so low!

I look at how HP is developing and marketing its Elite x3 Windows 10 phone and think wistfully of what BB could have done here. After a number of top companies approached HP with a request that HP develop a Windows phone (because they did not like the drawbacks of Android and iOS, especially in these freebooting days of BYOD), HP went away and started sketching out such a device. The important point is that HP did not just design a phone and punt it out. They asked their target market what it wanted. When that market said 'Everything' HP did not get upset and talk about the impossibility of doing that. They went off and put 'everything' in it. Now, over 30 companies are road testing the phone and, obviously, providing feedback.

Even now, the specs are to die for, there is an assured market and there will be no gigantic marketing costs (because the consumer market is not HP's target). However, the consumer who wants a solid business phone will be able to get her hands on it.

The Elite is part of an integrated system with a proper port device and even a shell laptop into which the phone integrates.

As BB management continually touts phones and software as being for business one can only lament a lost opportunity. Especially the part about asking its target market what it wants.

Sent from my Z30
    So well said.

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    03-13-16 11:27 PM
    After a number of top companies approached HP with a request that HP develop a Windows phone
    So, six years after purchasing Palm for $1.2 billion and flushing a couple more billion down the toilet, HP is taking another shot at the smartphone market? Let me guess...next comes a tablet and it all integrates seamlessly with their PCs and printers. They are going to take advantage of their enterprise connections. Is this being discussed on webOSNations? There are still about a dozen fans there.
    rthonpm likes this.
    03-14-16 12:08 AM
    So, six years after purchasing Palm for $1.2 billion and flushing a couple more billion down the toilet, HP is taking another shot at the smartphone market? Let me guess...next comes a tablet and it all integrates seamlessly with their PCs and printers. They are going to take advantage of their enterprise connections. Is this being discussed on webOSNations? There are still about a dozen fans there.
    I entirely agree with you that HP has made some, at best, questionable decisions and, at worst, some lunatic ones. The board's choices of CEO have, to the outsider, been bizarre. And the decision to buy a British company, then to take a $8 billion write down because it wasn't what they thought it was and then to embark on hugely embarrassing litigation over their own lack of due diligence should have seen major personnel changes. Such changes should have started at the top.

None of which should detract from the fact that HP now has a defined and relatively captive market for a well-built, high-end phone that needs little marketing. That should be a lesson in how to bring a product to market with as little risk as possible in a cut-throat field. BlackBerry management, please take note.

It is entirely possible for a company to produce a superb product having had a recent record of dismal design and marketing performance. I seem to recall a company in the nineties that found itself in a similar position. What was it called? Oh yes, I remember. Apple. I wonder what became over them?

Sent from my Z30
    03-14-16 03:01 AM
    Sorry, should have been '.... what became of them?'

Sent from my Z30
    03-14-16 03:04 AM
    HP has been floundering from poor management for decades now. They may have developed a neat device in this case, but where are the LOB applications for Windows Phone? Even Microsoft has focused more of its efforts on bringing its flagship apps to iOS and Android rather than WP. Unless Microsoft puts some kind of priority on its own mobile OS there's no reason at all to think this will be anything but a loss for HP, though they have enough other offerings that they could always bundle the unsold stock in as a free device for seeding purposes.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 06:28 AM
    Unless Microsoft puts some kind of priority on its own mobile OS there's no reason at all to think this will be anything but a loss for HP, though they have enough other offerings that they could always bundle the unsold stock in as a free device for seeding purposes.
    Ahh, yes - the opportunity to bundle your unsold inventory for free to customers who didn't ask for it. It's actually worse than throwing it away because at least then you aren't devaluing what you have managed to sell.
    03-14-16 08:18 AM
    I entirely agree with you that HP has made some, at best, questionable decisions and, at worst, some lunatic ones. The board's choices of CEO have, to the outsider, been bizarre. And the decision to buy a British company, then to take a $8 billion write down because it wasn't what they thought it was and then to embark on hugely embarrassing litigation over their own lack of due diligence should have seen major personnel changes. Such changes should have started at the top.

None of which should detract from the fact that HP now has a defined and relatively captive market for a well-built, high-end phone that needs little marketing. That should be a lesson in how to bring a product to market with as little risk as possible in a cut-throat field. BlackBerry management, please take note.

It is entirely possible for a company to produce a superb product having had a recent record of dismal design and marketing performance. I seem to recall a company in the nineties that found itself in a similar position. What was it called? Oh yes, I remember. Apple. I wonder what became over them?

Sent from my Z30
    Might actually get that phone

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 11:11 PM
    None of which should detract from the fact that HP now has a defined and relatively captive market for a well-built, high-end phone that needs little marketing.
    What captive market? Companies who exclusively order from the HP catalog and don't know that other smartphones exist?
    rthonpm likes this.
    03-15-16 01:54 PM
    HP will sell alot less X3s than the PRIV. It's primarily for those who pay for HP business apps and HP cloud apps and HP is willing to take some smaller losses on the hardware side for the upside on the software. No carrier agreements equals low sales. It will most likely cost more than the Iphone.
    03-15-16 02:29 PM