My view is this:

Just an observation. Issue with unlocked Z10 devices being used with a carrier that has not yet been "Approved" by BlackBerry. I have written a couple of posts about this in the forum. The ironic aspect is that everything works on the Z10 BlackBerry over the data network of a carrier that has not been approved by BlackBerry beside BBM chat. In one way, it would seem that BlackBerry is forcing people away from BBM only by not allowing them to use a pure network data connection. I used to use BBM a lot. Since BlackBerry 10 launch and with no approved BlackBerry 10 in Brunei, I have now started to move away from BBM and started using side loaded instant messaging apps in addition to of course more usage of Google talk. I am sure that it is not the intention of BlackBerry to drive user away from BBM, but this is kind of the way things are moving.

Those of us who paid top dollars to get an unlocked device should be able to use the BlackBerry 10 with any data network.

Posted from my awesome Z10
    03-14-13 09:14 AM
    My view is this:

Just an observation. Issue with unlocked Z10 devices being used with a carrier that has not yet been "Approved" by BlackBerry. I have written a couple of posts about this in the forum. The ironic aspect is that everything works on the Z10 BlackBerry over the data network of a carrier that has not been approved by BlackBerry beside BBM chat. In one way, it would seem that BlackBerry is forcing people away from BBM only by not allowing them to use a pure network data connection. I used to use BBM a lot. Since BlackBerry 10 launch and with no approved BlackBerry 10 in Brunei, I have now started to move away from BBM and started using side loaded instant messaging apps in addition to of course more usage of Google talk. I am sure that it is not the intention of BlackBerry to drive user away from BBM, but this is kind of the way things are moving.

Those of us who paid top dollars to get an unlocked device should be able to use the BlackBerry 10 with any data network.

I understand your frustration on this but my experience is different. I use an unlocked Z10 (model 2) in Greece. My carrier has not yet launched the phone here. True it uses carrier normal data plan. In my case bbm works perfectly through wifi and data as long as it is registered with my old BIS service until the carrier finds out how they will handle the data issue.

Please do check with your carrier, as this does not seem to be BBs fault but rather how the carrier uses the data plans and configuration. If you come from a BIS plan older bbos phone, ask your carrier to register your sim and phone id with bb until they figure out what the official standard procedure for bb10 data will be for them on launch?
    hope this helps!
    best regards and hang on in there, things will improve much in a few weeks for everyone I believe, since bb is rapidly coming around to fixing issues with bb10 as per our experience this past 1,5 month.
    spike007 likes this.
    03-14-13 09:44 AM
    So let me get this straight...you bought a BlackBerry Z10 from a carrier that isn't yours and had it unlocked to use on your carrier that hasn't officially been approved by BlackBerry and because of this you can't use all of the features of your Z10.

Am I correct so far?

Yes?

Ok, so...how is this BlackBerry's fault and why are they shooting themselves in the foot?

Seems much the same as when Apple first released the iPhone and people bought it and unlocked it to use on unsupported networks and only had EDGE capabilities instead of full 3G. Those people dealt with it just to HAVE an iPhone. It certainly didn't harm Apple in any way.
    03-14-13 09:54 AM
    So let me get this straight...you bought a BlackBerry Z10 from a carrier that isn't yours and had it unlocked to use on your carrier that hasn't officially been approved by BlackBerry and because of this you can't use all of the features of your Z10.

Am I correct so far?

Yes?

Ok, so...how is this BlackBerry's fault and why are they shooting themselves in the foot?

Seems much the same as when Apple first released the iPhone and people bought it and unlocked it to use on unsupported networks and only had EDGE capabilities instead of full 3G. Those people dealt with it just to HAVE an iPhone. It certainly didn't harm Apple in any way.
    Well said sir.....well said.

Posted via CB10
    tfp likes this.
    03-14-13 10:02 AM
    No, I bought a factory unlocked Z10...

03-14-13 10:12 AM
    Does not matter if its a factory unlocked device or not...if your carrier is not supporting it yet than you do so at your own risk.

BTW, I own a STL100-3 on the AT&T carrier and everything works perfectly.
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    03-14-13 10:17 AM

It is still being used on an unsupported carrier. By any chance, did you check before purchasing it to see if it was compatible with your carrier?
    03-14-13 10:19 AM
    Let's set the record straight here: BlackBerry doesn't approve carriers. Carriers approve phones. That alone makes half your complaint moot, but that's off the point.

Call your carrier (or even better - hit one of its stores) and see if they can help you set the phone up properly.
    tfp likes this.
    03-14-13 10:19 AM
    Why do people blame blackberry for all their carrier problems?

I guess if you bill comes high this month its because blackberry charges more per minute than any other phone?

posted via the CB app on my Z10
    03-14-13 10:24 AM

Let me know if you have a BIS plan or were previous bb user. As long as they registered my phone with bb through BIS the BBM features work but this has been setup after my followup with my carrier, as a temporary measure untill they launch the bb10 phones officially and know how they will be setting things up.

just have your carrier address this question and you should be up and running if they co-operate.

Not BB shooting themselves in the foot, that is clear.

Call your carrier so that they help you get to enjoy your Z10 capabilities
    03-14-13 10:36 AM
    Any data plan should work with bbm.
    The only thing that won't is if you had a BIS plan for BBM only or emails only. Then you wouldn't be able to use the blackberry 10 fully.
    You need a full BIS plan for bbm on the z10.
    Also the carrier approves the phone, not the other way round.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 10:59 AM
    Very emotional replies in this thread

I have said it before, and I say it again: my expectation was that a BIS independent (thus not tied to a carrier having BIS service available) would mean any data plan SIM and you are good to go with BB10. Perhaps my expectation were (as it would seem now) a bit too optimistic (used Android phone and travelled through 10 countries in a short while. Always used a local SIM card (prepaid or post paid) and worked like a charm for all types of apps, etc. This is what I had expected with BB10).

P.S. Of course, I have had lengthy discussions with the carrier here, with no result. They claim that they are waiting for BlackBerry, and reading on this forum and thread people think that it is not BlackBerry but the carrier that needs to allow BB10. Needless to say, it does not seems like it is very clear who carries what part of the "homework". My point with this post was not to dish down on BlackBerry, but to say that since they choose this direction, I am not finding it easy to use BBM.

PS 2: Despite this, I keep using my (slightly temporarily handicapped) BB10!!!!!!
    rango10 likes this.
    03-17-13 10:51 AM
    Given the emotive choice of subject for this topic when a more informative one would have been BB10 device does not work properly on a network where they have not launched BB10 yet, it is hardly a shock when people reply in a similar manner.

Realistically, your carrier is always going to blame BB for the simple fact that you cannot contact them, but can readily contact your carrier.

The odds are that your carrier still needs to allow BB data to go over their normal APN and have not yet done so which is why other stuff works but not BBM.
    03-17-13 11:31 AM
    There is no self foot-shooting app released in BlackBerry world. So unless they sideloaded?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 01:33 PM
    Thanks so much, now I understand why my BBM hasn't been working. It was driving me mad! Need to wait for it to officially launched in Greece.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 03:01 PM
    Thanks so much, now I understand why my BBM hasn't been working. It was driving me mad! Need to wait for it to officially launched in Greece.

Posted via CB10
    What company are you with? Pm me if you want I am in Greece with wind

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 05:04 PM
    Does not matter if its a factory unlocked device or not...if your carrier is not supporting it yet than you do so at your own risk.

BTW, I own a STL100-3 on the AT&T carrier and everything works perfectly.
    I own a STL100-1 on AT&T and BBM voice and video does not work. I spent over an hour with tech support and they were unable to fix the problem. The weird thing is it worked up until a week ago. Now the option to make BBM calls over the network is ghosted out. Customer support says my shared plan allows for this to work but they were unable to get it going. Apparently on the 22nd AT&T is upgrading their computer system to support the new blackberry. So, I'm hoping that's when they get it fixed.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 06:17 PM
    I own a STL100-1 on AT&T and BBM voice and video does not work. I spent over an hour with tech support and they were unable to fix the problem. The weird thing is it worked up until a week ago. Now the option to make BBM calls over the network is ghosted out. Customer support says my shared plan allows for this to work but they were unable to get it going. Apparently on the 22nd AT&T is upgrading their computer system to support the new blackberry. So, I'm hoping that's when they get it fixed.

Posted via CB10
    Hey bud I hope you mistyped that version of phone because with AT&T you should be using the STL100-3 which might be why you are having problems.
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    03-17-13 07:05 PM
    Hey bud I hope you mistyped that version of phone because with AT&T you should be using the STL100-3 which might be why you are having problems.
    I'll know shortly when I get my stl100-3, although it still won't be the exact version that AT&T will be using since there are two versions of the stl100-3.

Buying unlocked Z10's was somewhat of a mystery early on. There was a lot of confusion regarding which phone worked with what carrier. I bought this phone from a dealer in Texas who claimed it was tested on AT&T. It seems to work fine other than the lack of LTE.

I guess I won't loose any sleep over it either way.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 07:41 PM
    The confusion was between the STL100-3 UK version and the Canadian version I believe... If yours is the UK version there was a lot of problems with it why I was told to get the Canadian versions. So far Edge, 3G and 4G works great...have not been able to test the LTE side of things since I don't have it in my area.
    03-17-13 08:41 PM
    Everything works fine on my 100-1. It doesn't support LTE, but other than that it's perfect. About a week ago AT&T started blocking BBM voice over their network. I didn' t have any more time to deal with it I will go back after the 22nd and re-address the issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 09:17 PM
    Everything works fine on my 100-1. It doesn't support LTE, but other than that it's perfect. About a week ago AT&T started blocking BBM voice over their network. I didn' t have any more time to deal with it I will go back after the 22nd and re-address the issue.

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure its ATT though? I am on the x-3 and I been using BBM for about a month now with no problems.
    03-17-13 09:44 PM
    My view is this:

Brunei is a restrictive country based on what I have heard from coworkers who have travelled there. No Alcohol is sold there, and I would guess they have other restrictions/controls in place over the people who live there. For BBM and other BB related services the phone has to build a secure connection from the handset to the BlackBerry NOC. If your provider, and/or the country is blocking this then how is this BlackBerry's fault? Should they compromise the security of everyone to satisfy people using the phones where the provider isn't on board?
    03-18-13 08:37 AM
    I'm with COSMOTE.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 12:11 PM
    I am confused now, does that mean i still Need BIS for BBM or Not? Sorry for the question.
    03-18-13 01:19 PM
36 12