This afternoon my wife went shopping at "the largest retailer in the world" to pick up some staples after the Holidays. When she got home she was very upset as she had lost her Leap. She loves the phone, and it has all of her pictures of our Grandson, her contacts that have been accumulated from her Z10(s) and this device. She thought she had lost it while shopping. Even though I have her device set to back up to my home "cloud" service, I thought I would try the BlackBerry Protect service to see if it actually works.

I logged in under her BlackBerry ID into Protect. It did indeed show her phone at the location she thought. As I was watching the device move around the location, I thought that someone might be returning it to the customer service desk. Sadly, I watched the device begin to walk out of the building into the parking lot concerned that the phone may be literally walking out the door with no hope of recovering it.

There are multiple options on the protect page that include View Location, Play Sound, Display a Message, Lock Device, Wipe Device, and Flag as Stolen. I decided to utilize the Play Sound feature first. I sent the command to the device and could see that the device movement stopped at the edge of the parking lot. Imagine the surprise of the individual when the device starts an annoying beeping sequence that lasts for one minute. They then appeared to shut the phone off. About thirty seconds later, they restarted the device and I sent the Play Sound command once more and locked the device.

I clearly thought the individual had decided to keep the device, so I used the Display a Message Feature asking the individual to return the device to the customer service desk. When the GPS showed the device as stationary once again, I sent a second message stating that if they did not return the device, I would Wipe the Device, and Flag it as Stolen making the device completely useless to individual. The GPS showed the device moving through the parking lot and back into the building.

I asked my wife to return to the store and see if the device had been "returned" to the customer service desk. Turns out the device was waiting for her, returned by a customer who "found" it in the parking lot.

I would have loved to have seen the individuals face as these actions were occurring. This person thought they had scored a phone only to be harassed by the device itself into turning it in.

Long story short, Blackberry Protect works. Check it out for yourself. Log in to the BlackBerry Protect Web and see how close it is to where you actually are.

This post typed completely on my OG Passport.

Passport. It's not as big as you think it is.
    ssbtech, gugomat, ediggity and 6 others like this.
    12-28-15 12:18 AM
    Hah, great story mate! Teach the soon to be thief to return things if it's not there's particularly a lost phone. I'll be worried too if I was the thief as the GPS can definitely locate and of course as being a thief you don't want the owner finding where you live

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    nvsfg likes this.
    12-28-15 12:22 AM
    This afternoon my wife went shopping at "the largest retailer in the world" to pick up some staples after the Holidays. When she got home she was very upset as she had lost her Leap. She loves the phone, and it has all of her pictures of our Grandson, her contacts that have been accumulated from her Z10(s) and this device. She thought she had lost it while shopping. Even though I have her device set to back up to my home "cloud" service, I thought I would try the BlackBerry Protect service to see if it actually works.

I logged in under her BlackBerry ID into Protect. It did indeed show her phone at the location she thought. As I was watching the device move around the location, I thought that someone might be returning it to the customer service desk. Sadly, I watched the device begin to walk out of the building into the parking lot concerned that the phone may be literally walking out the door with no hope of recovering it.

There are multiple options on the protect page that include View Location, Play Sound, Display a Message, Lock Device, Wipe Device, and Flag as Stolen. I decided to utilize the Play Sound feature first. I sent the command to the device and could see that the device movement stopped at the edge of the parking lot. Imagine the surprise of the individual when the device starts an annoying beeping sequence that lasts for one minute. They then appeared to shut the phone off. About thirty seconds later, they restarted the device and I sent the Play Sound command once more and locked the device.

I clearly thought the individual had decided to keep the device, so I used the Display a Message Feature asking the individual to return the device to the customer service desk. When the GPS showed the device as stationary once again, I sent a second message stating that if they did not return the device, I would Wipe the Device, and Flag it as Stolen making the device completely useless to individual. The GPS showed the device moving through the parking lot and back into the building.

I asked my wife to return to the store and see if the device had been "returned" to the customer service desk. Turns out the device was waiting for her, returned by a customer who "found" it in the parking lot.

I would have loved to have seen the individuals face as these actions were occurring. This person thought they had scored a phone only to be harassed by the device itself into turning it in.

Long story short, Blackberry Protect works. Check it out for yourself. Log in to the BlackBerry Protect Web and see how close it is to where you actually are.

Kooool story long

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 12:25 AM
    Kooool story long

Posted via CB10
    Yep...apologies but the length was needed to describe all of the features in BlackBerry Protect. Honestly, I did not think it would work that well.

Aju likes this.
    12-28-15 12:28 AM
    Glad u could get it

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    12-28-15 01:03 AM

Wonderful! Perhaps consider submitting this story to the BlackBerry Insider Blog, or even posting it as a comment to one of their articles.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 01:49 PM
    I like the option to leave a custom message,

...."this is not yours, you thieving &$@;#*!!!"

;-D

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    00stryder likes this.
    12-29-15 12:51 AM
    BlackBerry Protect always did work for as long I can remember
    12-29-15 04:42 PM
    nice that you got your phone back but it sounds like you almost wanted the person who found the phone to actually take the phone instead of returning it
    12-29-15 04:51 PM
    In tempted to tell my wife to take my Leap to a Walmart ;-) or something and track it from home...just to see.....

Posted by BB10 OS...The World's Best OS!
    nvsfg likes this.
    12-29-15 07:39 PM