So I was with friends in a pub and it was crowded and as we were leaving I couldn't find my phone. My friend called me and couldn't hear it ringing so we knew it was not there. Luckily I had the data connection opened so immediately logged from my friend's phone to BlackBerry Protect and saw the phone moving fast so we assumed it was in a car. My car was parked a bit far from the pub so we ran there while my friend kept an eye on the location. Took us about 10 minutes to reach the first place we spotted the phone on. Then we saw the phone stopped moving at one place, we headed there and luckily there was a fast food restaurant so we hoped it was there.

My friend tried to sound the alarm on my phone as we approached but it gave him error :/ (fix that BlackBerry!) we entered the restaurant and immediately I saw that girl was sitting on the table next to us and she turned her face to her boyfriend or I don't know who. My friend simply called me and I heard my ringtone!! Couldn't describe to you the look on her face :-D busted bit*h!!

She was saying I found it on the floor I didn't think it belonged to you. I didn't say a word but the look was worth 10000 words then.

The situation made me think what if she had turned it off!? That would make things harder then. I wish BlackBerry will give an option, specially for the non-removable battery phones, to disable shutdown if the phone is locked until the password is entered. And send GPS location upon entering the wrong password for the 3rd time before wiping the device.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 07:15 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Awesome story!!! Had my bold 9900 stolen three years ago but the thief who stole it immediately did battery pull.. I could not trace it...

Well done OP!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 07:20 AM
    Awesome story!!! Had my bold 9900 stolen three years ago but the thief who stole it immediately did battery pull.. I could not trace it...

Well done OP!!!

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry for your loss :/ that's one weak point of having a removable battery phone. But the possibility to just turn off the phone is just the same weaknesses. I think it's essential to disable shutdown until a password is entered, that's first. And second one is to have a rescue SMS containing location or something sent to a backup number after a wrong password is entered couple of times then disabling more passwords to be entered for an hour or so. That would stop the thief from continuing entering wrong passwords until the phone is wiped. While giving time for the owner to locate the phone.

I forgot to mention that after I took the phone the sound alarm that my friend has invoked 5 minutes before we found the phone has sounded after I took it :/ it should be immediate!!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 07:30 AM
    Good save! BlackBerry Protect is convenient as long as the phone stays on.

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport. Follow me on Twitter @BlaisKL
    04-04-15 11:14 AM
    O and I just tried to turn my Passport off while the device was locked. It never even occurred to me that it was possible. That does seem like a weakness and slightly defeats the purpose of having a tracker.
    Sure it's great if you have forgotten your device and it's stationary with no chance of someone grabbing it, however with most people that have common sense, they would just turn the phone off after they jack it from someone...
    Would be nice to have a setting in the device lock settings to disable shut down when device is locked...perhaps there is an app for that?

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport. Follow me on Twitter @BlaisKL
    04-04-15 11:18 AM
    Definitely agree that the device password should be required to power off a device. In my case my device has switched off accidentally a number of times while in my pocket. A password requirement would solve this issue.

Posted via CB10
    unical and Thesmartmale like this.
    04-05-15 12:24 AM
    Awesome Story

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281 on Roids....
    04-05-15 12:41 AM
    "...I wish BlackBerry will give an option, specially for the non-removable battery phones, to disable shutdown if the phone is locked until the password is entered. And send GPS location upon entering the wrong password for the 3rd time before wiping the device."

Is that not a good app idea? Won't power down w/o a password. And after a defined amount of attempts entering an incorrect password, phone goes into "locate" mode. Loud sound right away and GPS shortly after?

Ps: hope the Karma train finds the thief. She EASILY could have given the phone to staff at the bar.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

Z30-Z30-Z10-Q10-9900-9900-Playbook-x3
    04-05-15 02:20 AM
    "...I wish BlackBerry will give an option, specially for the non-removable battery phones, to disable shutdown if the phone is locked until the password is entered. And send GPS location upon entering the wrong password for the 3rd time before wiping the device."

Is that not a good app idea? Won't power down w/o a password. And after a defined amount of attempts entering an incorrect password, phone goes into "locate" mode. Loud sound right away and GPS shortly after?

Ps: hope the Karma train finds the thief. She EASILY could have given the phone to staff at the bar.

Posted via CB10

Z30-Z30-Z10-Q10-9900-9900-Playbook-x3[/QUOTE]

I don't think an app on BlackBerry would find sufficient permissions to be in the middle between the power button and the shut down menu. It has to be an OS feature

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 04:11 AM
    This leads me to a question. Let's assume that the phone was turned off, now you can't track it. What happens when it's turned back on? Wouldn't you be able to see it as soon as it's powered on assuming that you keep checking.
    One day out of curiosity I signed in to BlackBerry Protect and saw a phone that I owned a while ago showing up so it's my guess that even if a phone is wiped you may still be able to pick it up. Help me out here folks.
    THAT WAS A GREAT STORY THOUGH!!

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 07:25 AM
    I agree with the OP, we shouldn't be able to turn off the phone while it's locked. Should be a security feature.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    04-05-15 08:54 AM
    This leads me to a question. Let's assume that the phone was turned off, now you can't track it. What happens when it's turned back on? Wouldn't you be able to see it as soon as it's powered on assuming that you keep checking.
    One day out of curiosity I signed in to BlackBerry Protect and saw a phone that I owned a while ago showing up so it's my guess that even if a phone is wiped you may still be able to pick it up. Help me out here folks.
    THAT WAS A GREAT STORY THOUGH!!

Posted via CB10
    I think not.. BlackBerry Protect looks at the BBID not PIN or Mac Address of the device.

Definitely there is room for enhancements to make the BlackBerry Protect feature making more sense.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 09:38 AM
    Great story. Thanks for sharing and, in effect, reminding us to take precautions with our devices.
    04-05-15 11:49 PM
    Great story, enjoyed reading it.

After thinking about it, I agree, there should be an option to only allow the device to be powered down when unlocked.
    04-06-15 12:06 AM
    Nice ending! Lucky she was a dumb thief! Too bad she will know for next time

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    04-06-15 12:09 AM