So, my favourite function of Blackberry Protect has disappeared. On BB10 it no longer can make quick and easy back ups of your contacts, messages and calender. Is there any news about this? Is Blackberry going to add this to future OS updates like on 10.2? I want it back!

Posted via CB10
    RDZONE99 and aboldcurve like this.
    05-21-13 12:30 PM
    So, my favourite function of Blackberry Protect has disappeared. On BB10 it no longer can make quick and easy back ups of your contacts, messages and calender. Is there any news about this? Is Blackberry going to add this to future OS updates like on 10.2? I want it back!

Posted via CB10
    Haven't seen anything. You will have to continue making backups with BBLink until they address this.

Or, use a cloud based PIM like Google, Yahoo, Outlook and have your phone sync with them. I don't have a contact on my phone that isn't also on my GMail account.
    05-21-13 12:46 PM
    This is nothing more than my opinion but I would not hold my breath. Since BIS is not required for BB10 the revenue model to support backup storage isn't there any longer. Also, BB10 phones have 16GB of storage vs BBOS phones with less than 1GB. The math can be a killer. And as @NetworkGuy says, there are other ways to ensure you have critical data backed up off device.
    05-21-13 01:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah want this feature back too!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 01:12 PM
    Haven't seen anything. You will have to continue making backups with BBLink until they address this.

Or, use a cloud based PIM like Google, Yahoo, Outlook and have your phone sync with them. I don't have a contact on my phone that isn't also on my GMail account.
    I do have A Gmail account set on my phone, but didn't sync it. I don't want my Gmail contacts in my phone. Do you happen to know if it automatically would do that?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 01:47 PM
    This is nothing more than my opinion but I would not hold my breath. Since BIS is not required for BB10 the revenue model to support backup storage isn't there any longer. Also, BB10 phones have 16GB of storage vs BBOS phones with less than 1GB. The math can be a killer. And as @NetworkGuy says, there are other ways to ensure you have critical data backed up off device.
    You're saying we've lost the right to back up like we used to because we don't have BIS anymore? I made the choice to not have BIS because I read that I could use all futures that I had before. The memory thing I understand, but I'm sure Blackberry can find a solution for that. I'm still hoping that option will return to Blackberry Protect..

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 01:50 PM
    I do have A Gmail account set on my phone, but didn't sync it. I don't want my Gmail contacts in my phone. Do you happen to know if it automatically would do that?

Posted via CB10
    I have a Gmail Account, an Outlook account as well as a BES account. All three address books are synced with my phone. If I add a contact on my phone, it syncs to the cloud service. This is my instant backup. If the device crashes or an OS upgrade goes bad, I don't have to worry about where my contacts are. I get the OS fixed and then go into accounts and start a new sync. And with OS10, you can select to sync only what you want (messages, contacts, calendar, tasks). Like I said above, I've never lost a contact.

I started doing this in the BIS days and will continue no matter what platform I'm on. I can't risk losing all of the personal and business contacts because my phone crashed..
    05-21-13 02:16 PM
    Okay, but does it store my Gmail contacts automatically in my phone? I know now it will store my phone contacts to the cloud, but do my Gmail contacts get transferred to my phone too?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 02:31 PM
    Okay, but does it store my Gmail contacts automatically in my phone? I know now it will store my phone contacts to the cloud, but do my Gmail contacts get transferred to my phone too?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that'd the nature/definition of sync - it's a 2-way relationship.
    05-21-13 02:37 PM
    Too bad, I'll have to delete my contact list on Gmail first, before I let it sync. Thanks for the info!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 03:35 PM
    You're saying we've lost the right to back up like we used to because we don't have BIS anymore? I made the choice to not have BIS because I read that I could use all futures that I had before. The memory thing I understand, but I'm sure Blackberry can find a solution for that. I'm still hoping that option will return to Blackberry Protect..

Posted via CB10
    I don't want to start another BIS or not BIS thread, that's been done to death. But there are better solutions available. Box will backup pictures and videos, carddav and caldav servers will backup contacts and appointment. BlackBerry World backs up your applications. It would be nice and nearly complete if Box backed up documents, although you can do that manually. There are other solutions too that provide value on top of backup as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 04:32 PM
    I have to say I am also quite disappointed by this omission too. It's a somewhat shambolic state of affairs given the 'cloud' based world we are now in.

I think Blackberry should be doing everything possible to tick boxes on features and this shouldn't be that tricky to do.
    05-21-13 04:47 PM
    I don't want to start another BIS or not BIS thread, that's been done to death. But there are better solutions available. Box will backup pictures and videos, carddav and caldav servers will backup contacts and appointment. BlackBerry World backs up your applications. It would be nice and nearly complete if Box backed up documents, although you can do that manually. There are other solutions too that provide value on top of backup as well.

Posted via CB10
    Right on point. The only thing we're missing is something to back up and restore JUST the Password Keeper database.
    05-21-13 05:07 PM
    There are indeed good alternatives, but only by using separate apps and set it up yourself. Just saying that Protect was much easier, backed up automatically once a day and restoring was childishly simple. Oh well.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:57 PM
    There are indeed good alternatives, but only by using separate apps and set it up yourself. Just saying that Protect was much easier, backed up automatically once a day and restoring was childishly simple. Oh well.

Posted via CB10
    You are right, but based on what I saw in posts from people who lost their BBs or had to wipe them and wanted to retrieve their data, utilization must have been very small accross all BlackBerry users. I couldn't use it in the past cause I was on a BES, which meant I had to either get to my server or have one of the other support people restore my BB for me. Protect would have been much better. Now that I have my own Z10 the backup feature isn't available.

However, as a developer I see some issues that you may not. If you backup contacts do you only do local contacts? I don't have any local contacts because they are all on my 'cloud' email providers. Do you do a redundant back up of a carddav server? When you do a restore how do you handle conflicts that arrose because the carddav server is live but the Protect backup is a single point in time. I think they looked at the utilization, and the issues that BB10 posed and decided to put the effort somewhere else.

If you really want to see it added (and we really do need to think of these things in terms of adding rather than restoring features, BB10 is a completely new OS) you should either join the Beta Zone for BB10, or go to the BlackBerry Jam Zone web site, then to the Developer Issue Tracker and submit a feature request ticket in one of those places.
    05-21-13 07:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Starting with 10.1 If you leave your home computer running with BBLink up, your OS10 device will be able to sync back to your home PC no matter where you are. You will have to check a box on your device to sync over the cell network, else it will sync anytime you are on wifi. While it won't take care of your contacts or calendar, it will take care of your documents, pictures and video. It's slick and works great (at least on my device)
    05-22-13 08:29 AM
    Wished we still had it. Loved that you could back up texts and notes

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 09:40 AM
    Wished we still had it. Loved that you could back up texts and notes

Posted via CB10
    ...and WLAN profiles. It was so much nicer in the olden timey days.
    05-22-13 09:59 AM
    You are right, but based on what I saw in posts from people who lost their BBs or had to wipe them and wanted to retrieve their data, utilization must have been very small accross all BlackBerry users. I couldn't use it in the past cause I was on a BES, which meant I had to either get to my server or have one of the other support people restore my BB for me. Protect would have been much better. Now that I have my own Z10 the backup feature isn't available.

However, as a developer I see some issues that you may not. If you backup contacts do you only do local contacts? I don't have any local contacts because they are all on my 'cloud' email providers. Do you do a redundant back up of a carddav server? When you do a restore how do you handle conflicts that arrose because the carddav server is live but the Protect backup is a single point in time. I think they looked at the utilization, and the issues that BB10 posed and decided to put the effort somewhere else.

If you really want to see it added (and we really do need to think of these things in terms of adding rather than restoring features, BB10 is a completely new OS) you should either join the Beta Zone for BB10, or go to the BlackBerry Jam Zone web site, then to the Developer Issue Tracker and submit a feature request ticket in one of those places.
    The old system made your cloud contacts 'real' contacts in your phone, so yes it did store all contacts.

I have already joined the beta zone but have not been active yet. I will do to the Blackberry Jam Zone to join, thanks for the info! Even though it cannot work the same for the new OS, they might be able to create something similar, which a lot of old Blackberry users would love to see.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 11:07 AM
    Starting with 10.1 If you leave your home computer running with BBLink up, your OS10 device will be able to sync back to your home PC no matter where you are. You will have to check a box on your device to sync over the cell network, else it will sync anytime you are on wifi. While it won't take care of your contacts or calendar, it will take care of your documents, pictures and video. It's slick and works great (at least on my device)
    Data usage-wise I don't want it to sync all the time, and for me having a crappy laptop it won't be a good idea to leave it on 24/7. (I don't even think it will) That is why I loved Protect, as my BlackBerry has always been more reliable than my laptop. (don't have a computer, I treat my BlackBerry as one) And because I am a control freak, I even wanted my main computer aka my BlackBerry to be backed up automatically and secure.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 11:10 AM
    The old system made your cloud contacts 'real' contacts in your phone, so yes it did store all contacts.

Posted via CB10
    Not exactly. Sure your contacts were stored in the Protect 'cloud' if you want to say it that way, but you couldn't use them from there you could only restore them to your local address book. If you were on a BES you could search the corporate address book, if you had an LDAP server configured you could search that. You could not (at least not easily) backup your contacts to protect and have them appear on your Gmail or Yahoo address book.

In contrast if you have BB10 with an EAS account or an IMAP associated with a CARDDAV server changes to the address book by one client (the BB, desktop PC, laptop, web access) are synced to all other clients.

Believe me, having lost the contents of my Documents folder to Animoog I wish the new version of Protect did backups, or that I could have configured Box to do it. I didn't loose anything, I still have all my documents, they're just not on my phone when I need them, so I have to go get them from wherever they are, again.
    05-22-13 01:23 PM
    I understand what you mean, and that you prefer the files to be accessible at other devices/websites. I don't use many other devices and don't need my files/contacts anywhere else than my BlackBerry. For you, cloud sync is the way to go while I prefer no other sources to have my information. Matter if preferences I guess.

But because that isn't possibility anymore I do need to sync to be sure to back up everything, unfortunately. I'm probably going to get used to it over time.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 02:01 PM
    Too bad, I'll have to delete my contact list on Gmail first, before I let it sync. Thanks for the info!

I have two outlook accounts connected to my phone, a facebook, linkedin and twitter all synced and i dont want them in my contact book either, so turned off those contacts in my contact app. All i have in my contacts are the contacts i inputed or transfered from my last device.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 02:17 PM
    But because that isn't possibility anymore I do need to sync to be sure to back up everything, unfortunately. I'm probably going to get used to it over time.

Posted via CB10
    Change is sometimes hard to embrace.
    kimoi likes this.
    05-22-13 02:35 PM
    For me, not having BB Protect on BB10 was the biggest let down from Blackberry.
    And the worst part, I noticed the lack of BB Protect AFTER getting my Z10.
    Is really that hard to keep all my contacts, calendars, tasks and memos in the same place they already have my BBM contacts saved??
    Blackberry was always about safety, but not anymore.
    05-22-13 09:26 PM
28 12