Lol, people are typing paragraphs complaining about having to hit one extra key...
    It's not really about hitting the extra key, it's about the lock screen neatness.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 04:10 PM
    OK. Here are your solutions:

Don't use a password.
    Use the normal password with full keyboard
    Tap 5 times instead of 4 (imagine if you wanted to use a 6 digit password like me, the horror)
    Picture Password, which is fantastic.

Or nothing else.

There are no other options.

Is that not good enough for you?

If none of those are acceptable to you, go buy something else.

Via passport
    10-28-14 04:20 PM
    It's not really about hitting the extra key, it's about the lock screen neatness.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Let's be neat and less secure..
    10-28-14 04:28 PM
    Yes. Let's be neat and less secure..
    As far as I know Apple has the two options, if you use the 4 digits then no submit key but if you use more then there is a submit key so I think it can be done.

It's not a matter of life or death for me, it's not a big deal I'm just pointing out things that can be improved in the future, nothing more. I personally use the picture password even though it's annoying while walking.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 06:05 PM
    You could get rid of the submit button without compromising security. Instead of the phone auto-submitting after every digit is pressed, instead make the phone intelligently predict when you have finished typing the unlock code and then submit, while respecting your max unlock attempts. This could be done by proximity sensing and timeouts. Then you limit the number of auto-submissions to ensure the device doesn't run out of password attempts. Here is how:

1. Detect proximity of fingers to number entry area. When your fingers are out of the number entry area for a certain amount of time (say 750ms), submit.
    2. If fingers are in the number entry area but a longer timeout has passed (say 2 seconds), submit.
    3. The phone will stop auto-submitting after a number of failures or when it gets within say 2 attempts of the max. At this point, the submit button will re-appear.
    10-28-14 07:21 PM
    It doesn't seem like much of an improvement. There's dozens of things I'd rather see them focus on first before trying to emulate the iPhone lock screen button layout...

I'm just not a big fan of Form over Function.
    niss63 and rthonpm like this.
    10-28-14 08:08 PM
    You could get rid of the submit button without compromising security. Instead of the phone auto-submitting after every digit is pressed, instead make the phone intelligently predict when you have finished typing the unlock code and then submit, while respecting your max unlock attempts. This could be done by proximity sensing and timeouts. Then you limit the number of auto-submissions to ensure the device doesn't run out of password attempts. Here is how:

1. Detect proximity of fingers to number entry area. When your fingers are out of the number entry area for a certain amount of time (say 750ms), submit.
    2. If fingers are in the number entry area but a longer timeout has passed (say 2 seconds), submit.
    3. The phone will stop auto-submitting after a number of failures or when it gets within say 2 attempts of the max. At this point, the submit button will re-appear.
    I created a suggestion on icanmakeitbetter for this. Give it a vote:

https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter....submit-buttons
    10-28-14 09:42 PM
    BlackBerry is secure but people over hype how good it is. really the best prevention is usually common sense. You either sacrifice security for comfort or the other way around. However I find hitting the submit key just awkward. Like it kills the smoothness. Type your password fast, stop, and then hit submit. Maybe change the position of submit. I'm on a BlackBerry Z30 so maybe the big *** screen is why it bugs me

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 12:15 AM
    It doesn't seem like much of an improvement. There's dozens of things I'd rather see them focus on first before trying to emulate the iPhone lock screen button layout...

I'm just not a big fan of Form over Function.
    I agree, but hey they changed a perfectly working and an amazing call screen to the most ugly one I ever saw and there were a lot of other priorities, so might as well do this if they have all their priorities messed up

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 08:59 AM
    I agree, but hey they changed a perfectly working and an amazing call screen to the most ugly one I ever saw and there were a lot of other priorities, so might as well do this if they have all their priorities messed up
    Maybe they changed it because people with bigger devices like the Z30 complained?
    10-29-14 11:20 AM

That is a lot of work and can add additional issue with proximity sensing for something that isn't an issue. All this workarounds to eliminate a single key press is a waste of time.
    10-29-14 11:40 AM
    That is a lot of work and can add additional issue with proximity sensing for something that isn't an issue. All this workarounds to eliminate a single key press is a waste of time.
    You'd be surprised at how much work it can take to make something easy to use.
    10-29-14 03:19 PM
    This introduces delays, however slight. The OP wants to enter the password and be logged in /instantly/. Both the delay in this implementation and hitting a submit button slows this down.
    10-29-14 04:35 PM
    This introduces delays, however slight. The OP wants to enter the password and be logged in /instantly/. Both the delay in this implementation and hitting a submit button slows this down.
    I imagine the delay in an actual implementation would be so short that it wouldn't be perceptible.
    10-29-14 06:40 PM
    Yes there is. As there is one in 10.3.1. If your MDM allows it or you aren't on a MDM system. Why don't you post a screenshot of your Device Password screen.
    There's no Simple PIN option on 10.3.1.1016 and I'm not using any MDM or BES.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 02:54 PM
    I agree with OP. There should be a way to instantly lock your BlackBerry. No waiting or having to do more than one action.

I wish I could press the power key on my Passport, the screen goes dark and the phone instantly locks, requiring a password to unlock. If my screen is dark I should have the confidence to know my BlackBerry is on lock down.

In other words the 'Lock Device After' option should have a 'when screen is off' option. Right now the shortest is '1 minute'.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 06:48 PM
    I agree with OP. There should be a way to instantly lock your BlackBerry. No waiting or having to do more than one action.
    It's the idea behind the official BlackBerry leather pouch or holster. You can always use a simple magnet or glue one in your current case if needed.
    11-01-14 06:53 PM
67 123