While I'm a BlackBerry fan but now that my disappointment is just increasing and increasing.

I find these below things quite annoying and wish BlackBerry to fix it asap,

- startup time... very very long. Once it loads up, hub loading and phone app loading takes a good time to get ready for use.

- Battery life sucks for Z10 especially if you have android apps. Don't tell me to blame android app or os coz it runs well on android phone that I have and also doesn't eat up that much battery

- Network - mobile goes for a toss like seen in attached pic. And real time switching between 3G and 2G is not great. Wifi range issue is known to.

- phone app so half baked and it just takes forever to connect or disconnect calls. Also it does not sync with contacts well . Also api needed for Truecaller. They are ready to make an app.

- contacts app - duplication, poor social integration and slow to load.

- keyboard. It some times become so heavy that swiping words feels laggy. Also predictions are no more that good. They seem to some time correct a right word with wrong

- Camera shots especially during low light and dark conditions are terrible. Be it any device.

- search assistant is so slow to open and respond. Missing old search functionality.

- browser is just so heavy and is not designed as cascades.

- Brightness at low level does not feel that bright which BlackBerry used to give

- headless functions are not working well. Ask any developer. It is just so a task. One of the reasons developers are not making apps.

- how to use active frames actually still quite unclear.

- more email functions. Just imagine can't even mark a mail as junk and no option to edit the signature the wat we want.

Probably they themselves can't see these or are just not wanting to fix them.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 you refer to was the first BB10 device, and it is the oldest of all of them. People say the newer devices are much better on all aspects. A newer device would fix a lot of your issues.
    04-17-15 06:57 AM
    Having recently switched from Android back to Blackberry I can understand a couple things but I think your blowing them up to be bigger than they are.

1. The start up time, Yes its longer than IOS or Android but how often do you really turn off your phone? For me its always on or charging rarely ever turned off.

2. The Contact Duplication, Having recently switched phones I did notice that it would create different contacts with the same name for BBM, Twitter, Phone #. It took some time but it was a simple fix. It would be a nice plus though if Blackberry could make that work a bit better but its not as big of a problem as you suggested.

3. It sounds like most of your problems are related to your Z10 being outdated. I would suggest upgrading when you can to either the Z30 or Slider if you can wait it out. Any phone you get is going to be laggy 30 - 36 months after the release date when its upgraded to the newest OS version.
    For the last paragraph.... I read on here awhile back on how QNX was so great that it would be good for updating for 10 years on any device no matter the specs it came on. So what happened that the Z10 became too old for it? That wasn't supposed to happen.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    04-17-15 07:19 AM
    For the last paragraph.... I read on here awhile back on how QNX was so great that it would be good for updating for 10 years on any device no matter the specs it came on. So what happened that the Z10 became too old for it? That wasn't supposed to happen.
    I don't agree with that point#3. My Z10s running the latest 10.3.1 are smoother than they have ever been since launch date.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-17-15 07:24 AM
    I don't agree with that point#3. My Z10s running the latest 10.3.1 are smoother than they have ever been since launch date.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    I agree conite....my wife's z10 was buttery smooth...the real issue though for the remainder of the z10 users is its battery life. They are running a 2015 OS with a two year old battery design. Well, there is ways of dealing with that....ask any wall hugger. I'm sure they have all the tips...or...you can always upgrade the device.

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-17-15 08:10 AM
    The camera on the Z30 SUCKS.
    You think it sucks. I'm not a fan of it. Lots of people have posted photos they quite like. What makes you (or me) right and them wrong?

But that's not really my point. Saying it's "worse than everything out there" is silly when you haven't tried everything out there.

Just say you want a better camera and leave it at that. No need for the melodrama. But I guess someone who uses expressions like "For the first time in their rotted, fetid, camera history." finds melodrama to be their thing. :-)

They need to use a decent camera next time out. For the first time in their rotted, fetid, camera history.

How's that for a statement??
    Send resume to [email protected]
    Carjackd, D3C0D3R and miker476 like this.
    04-17-15 08:18 AM
    You think it sucks. I'm not a fan of it. Lots of people have posted photos they quite like. What makes you (or me) right and them wrong?

But that's not really my point. Saying it's "worse than everything out there" is silly when you haven't tried everything out there.

Just say you want a better camera and leave it at that. No need for the melodrama.

Send resume to [email protected]
    Lol.....a little late. They were looking for a camera app developer back in November in Waterloo. Plus I'm sure they weren't looking for qualifications of "I post on crackberry the Camera sucks".

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-17-15 08:23 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    Yep, I wasn't saying it was bad on it. Just questioning the statement. Seems a lot of people tell everyone that has issues for whatever reason.............. get a newer one.
    Carjackd likes this.
    04-17-15 08:28 AM
    Man you are so misinformed..

This isn't "tech voodoo."

This stuff has been explained all over the forums, apparently you're just one to jump the gun and assume nothing is answered because you didn't want to search..

Just a couple quick examples:
    1. Bad Install.
    This is the absolute most basic of troubles that you're pretty na�ve to assume is just tech talk. Installs mess up and some files either become corrupted over time, have improper read/write permissions due to the OS being used and on at the time of the update, fragmentation, and numerous other key factors in play.

This happens with any OS, and if you want a great example of the "Big Boys" who this "doesn't happen to," take a look at Apple with their recent rollouts. They've been bugfilled and disastrous because they tested their OS on fresh installs, not upgrade-installs, and it ended up disabling communication abilities on some devices, and in a few cases, corrupted the OS's entirely.

It happens to every company, and it's an issue with the software generation where you're making the devices self-updating.
    Files don't just get corrupted over time for no reason there is no magic here.

If the upgrade process needs uncontested access to a resource during the upgrade process the technology exists to make this happen.

Fragmentation does not corrupt files, this is a really basic concept.

"Numerous other key factors" = fear uncertainty and doubt, frankly I wonder if you are arguing in good faith.

I don't doubt that Apple screwed up and it is a fundamental failure on their part.
    The failure is even worse because they can easily afford the RnD do this stuff correctly.
    To be absolutely clear the "bad update" in this case was the fault of Apple.

The software is not magically generated it is developed, tested and copied onto your device. The files should also be verified Cryptographic hash function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to ensure that they are bit identical to the original.

Updating configuration is a slightly harder problem but still solvable. If the device manufacturer touches the configuration, it is their responsibility to ensure they update the configuration correctly and their fault if they mess that up. Its just common sense.

Updating software and configuration is a well understand problem that should have a Six Sigma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or equivalent solution.

2. The OS needing time to settle
    While technically untrue, it is actually completely true. Let me try to explain for you like many others have here on CB:

The OS installs/upgrades, and there are important services installed. These services, once started, need to configure themselves to work with your current OS configuration and settings, which can take some time depending on the complexity of the service. It follows that it will organize all local content as it sees fit for its new configuration. This is then followed by it downloading any important files (i.e. emails, syncing contacts, calender, etc.), and it is done in a way that it minimally impacts the user and compresses files to leave as little footprint as possible, meaning it takes a while. This can take up to a week depending on if it's a fresh install (those take longer since it's got a lot to download for some people) or upgrade, and could even be just a few hours.

Seeee how much you can learn by searching about the topic?
    Please include citations.

So do you think that Blackberry has an automated regression test for their updates with a function that waits a week to begin testing?
    Blackberry is responsible to ensure correct function and a minimum level of performance to ensure a minimum level of impact to the user.

I know this is the generation where everything should "just work", but as things become more complex and situations become more and more specific to the exact parameters each user experiences, the customers need to wake up and try to use Google a little more often..
    Sure customers should Google but the company needs to be ultimately responsible, we are talking about Software engineering not magic. Of course everything that I have said assumes that the user follows the supported update procedure.
    Tatwi likes this.
    04-17-15 08:30 AM
    Just to add my 2 cents regarding clean installs.

I agree that a file will not become corrupt (at least it is very unlikely), but a device state can.

I like to use the analogy of the infamous windows registry. One app or process can set flags and add entries which sometimes does not prove compatible with another app or process. Add 30 apps into that mix and you have a chaotic system (in the true scientific sense of the word) that introduces an untold amount of variation.

The same general thing happens on a BlackBerry - which is a system just as complex. You have the registry for device settings; you have about 3gb of data in the "Blackberry Runtime" component filled with global and specific Android environment variables, settings, and permissions; you have the 2gb "system applications" component related to native app environment and specific settings; and then you have whatever mix of native and Android apps, processes, and services you installed - some of which can be deeply integrated into the Hub.

Now, as a BlackBerry developer, you need to code the update software to not only upgrade the OS, but to keep all of these settings intact so that your apps continue to function normally. A potential conflict can exist here.

No matter how well you code the OS in the first place, or how well you code the update software, you can not think of everything that could go wrong. Things will get missed. Things will mess up in unexpected ways. No platform is immune - mobile or desktop.

To me, it like herding a million cats into a pen.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    der_mit and D3C0D3R like this.
    04-17-15 09:25 AM
    Just to add my 2 cents regarding clean installs.

I agree that a file will not become corrupt (at least it is very unlikely), but a device state can.

I like to use the analogy of the infamous windows registry. One app or process can set flags and add entries which sometimes does not prove compatible with another app or process. Add 30 apps into that mix and you have a chaotic system (in the true scientific sense of the word) that introduces an untold amount of variation.

The same general thing happens on a BlackBerry - which is a system just as complex. You have the registry for device settings; you have about 3gb of data in the "Blackberry Runtime" component filled with global and specific Android environment variables, settings, and permissions; you have the 2gb "system applications" component related to native app environment and specific settings; and then you have whatever mix of native and Android apps, processes, and services you installed - some of which can be deeply integrated into the Hub.

Now, as a BlackBerry developer, you need to code the update software to not only upgrade the OS, but to keep all of these settings intact so that your apps continue to function normally. A potential conflict can exist here.

No matter how well you code the OS in the first place, or how well you code the update software, you can not think of everything that could go wrong. Things will get missed. Things will mess up in unexpected ways. No platform is immune - mobile or desktop.

To me, it like herding a million cats into a pen.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    The applications are sandboxed Each application can only touch its own configuration. The system update procedure can touch everything but must be responsible for what it touches.
    04-17-15 09:29 AM
    The applications are sandboxed Each application can only touch its own configuration. The system update procedure can touch everything but must be responsible for what it touches.
    It's not that simple.

Have you ever fought with a poorly designed app that even after getting deleted, the hub continues to ask for account verifications?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    Carjackd likes this.
    04-17-15 09:36 AM
    It's not that simple.

Have you ever fought with a poorly designed app that even after getting deleted, the hub continues to ask for account verifications?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    No actually I have not seen that but, if that is possible then it is a fundamental failure on the part of Blackberry that it can happen.
    Same goes for Apple or anyone else.
    04-17-15 09:39 AM
    No actually I have not seen that but, if that is possible then it is a fundamental failure on the part of Blackberry that it can happen.
    Same goes for Apple or anyone else.
    Software development is replete with "fundamental failures".

I see it more as not being able to tame a chaotic system.

Google, Microsoft, Apple, and BlackBerry have struggled with non-destructive update processes forever. We can either say they are all incompetent, or that the task is simply too onerous to expect anything even close to perfection.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-17-15 09:43 AM
    Software development is replete with "fundamental failures".

I see it more as not being able to tame a chaotic system.

Google, Microsoft, Apple, and BlackBerry have struggled with non-destructive update processes forever. We can either say they are all incompetent, or that the task is simply too onerous to expect anything even close to perfection.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    I agree software development is replete with fundamental failures.
    The update problem is well understood and six sigma solvable.
    The problem is allowing a chaotic system.
    How can you trust a "chaotic" system to be secure if you can't trust it to do configuration management?
    04-17-15 09:51 AM
    I agree software development is replete with fundamental failures.
    The update problem is well understood and six sigma solvable.
    The problem is allowing a chaotic system.
    How can you trust a "chaotic" system to be secure if you can't trust it to do configuration management?
    That's why nothing is perfectly secure either. One tries to manage the chaos as best they can. Set reasonable goals and try to stay within the probability model.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-17-15 09:53 AM
    That's why nothing is perfectly secure either. One tries to manage the chaos as best they can. Set reasonable goals and try to stay within the probability model.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    Yes and when the system configuration is screwed up by the update process then the responsibility is Blackberry's.
    "Bad updates" happen for a reason as we have just established.
    04-17-15 09:56 AM
    Yes and when the system configuration is screwed up by the update process then the responsibility is Blackberry's.
    "Bad updates" happen for a reason as we have just established.
    Agreed. There is no one else to blame. But it does not mean they are incompetent, only that the task is impossible.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-17-15 10:00 AM
    i love it when people expect a damn cell phone to take top notch slr pics
    Yeah, there's a reason digital SLRs have large housings. Not ideal but use the flash. Seriously, this is a communication device then a camera.

Running a Z30STA100-5/OS Ver 10.3.1.2582/ Rogers network
    04-17-15 10:04 AM
    It's not that simple.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    I have and I had to wipe my phone then rebuild my profile.

04-17-15 10:06 AM
    I have and I had to wipe my phone then rebuild my profile.

There is an app to clear those out now. Very useful.
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59956050

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    04-17-15 10:08 AM
    Agreed. There is no one else to blame. But it does not mean they are incompetent, only that the task is impossible.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    It is a fundamental failure.
    I will not speak to Blackberry's competency.
    The problem is solvable at least to 5 nines.
    In my opinion the problem is that it costs money and considering that people believe in corrupt files and the like... they don't feel compelled.
    If Apple really screws up at configuration management maybe somebody could eat their lunch.
    04-17-15 10:10 AM
    Sweet! Much appreciated from my future self.

04-17-15 10:12 AM
    It is a fundamental failure.
    I will not speak to Blackberry's competency.
    The problem is solvable at least to 5 nines.
    In my opinion the problem is that it costs money and considering that people believe in corrupt files and the like... they don't feel compelled.
    If Apple really screws up at configuration management maybe somebody could eat their lunch.
    I think you underestimate the level of complexity. I don't think any system can achieve 5 nines, let alone something as complicated as this.

If you're a programmer, then you must be a heck of a lot better than me.

Cheers.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-17-15 10:22 AM
    There is an app to clear those out now. Very useful.
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59956050

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    Just down loaded it. Thanks.

Carjackd likes this.
    04-17-15 10:28 AM
    I think you underestimate the level of complexity. I don't think any system can achieve 5 nines, let alone something as complicated as this.

If you're a programmer, then you must be a heck of a lot better than me.

Cheers.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    I am a programmer and I do understand the level of complexity.
    Everyone with a clue learned from the windows registry disaster, just most chose to selectively ignore what they knew. Its not the system that we are talking about its the update process.
    If you engineer a system that allows chaos don't be surprised when you get chaos.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 04-17-15 at 10:39 AM.
    04-17-15 10:29 AM
152 ... 34567