Hello,

I use my Blackberry Passport SE for Emails and Calendar
    and I'm considering to buy a second one to store it and use it a few years later because it's obvious that the Blackberry Passport won't be available soon
    but I don't want to miss it.

I've read about an EOL (End of Live) in the end of 2018,
    but nobody could tell what exactly that means for Blackberry 10 OS.

How long will BB10 devices work?

Can I use my Blackberry Passport SE until it breaks down
    or could there be a determined date (somewhen in 2018) on which all Blackberry10 running devices will be switched off due to EOL.

Thank you very much in advance,
    best regards.
    06-28-17 05:49 PM
    I would like to know where you got the information that in 2018 that the EOL is coming.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-17 10:13 PM
    They are going to work as long as they still work for you, just don't expect any questions updates
    06-28-17 10:16 PM
    I would expect that the core functions of BB10 (email, calendar, contacts, tasks, notes) will work perfectly until the underlying data conventions change, especially for MS Exchange integration and other major platforms. Everything else will slowly degrade as standards evolve.

But the core functions may work through 2020.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-28-17 10:16 PM
    1001 threads on the same topic and counting....

From cobalt blue classic
    kbz1960 and skrble like this.
    06-28-17 11:05 PM
    Really? Another question like this?
    Don't buy devices which don't work after EOL.
    1) I've never seen anything about 2018 date. BlackBerry lists EOL dates on their website. Check it yourself.
    2) Bold 9900 are EOL, plenty people still using it. WinXP is same, people still running those along with PowerPC Mac's, old iPhones, etc. Anything based on open standards and not relying on some proprietary remote server that can be turned off on a whim will keep functioning.

Please, exercise a bit of common sense...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-29-17 12:34 AM
    BlackBerry won't officially admit BB10 is EOL until after they have effectively ended support. Executives were still saying nonsense about licensing BB10 after they had already let the BB10 staff go and ended any significant development . They are trying to squeeze every last million here or there that they can.

The good news is that the phones probably won't stop working at that time, although browser performance will continue to degrade as the web evolves daily.
    06-29-17 01:34 AM
    Hello,

I use my Blackberry Passport SE for Emails and Calendar
    and I'm considering to buy a second one to store it and use it a few years later because it's obvious that the Blackberry Passport won't be available soon
    but I don't want to miss it.

I've read about an EOL (End of Live) in the end of 2018,
    but nobody could tell what exactly that means for Blackberry 10 OS.

How long will BB10 devices work?

Can I use my Blackberry Passport SE until it breaks down
    or could there be a determined date (somewhen in 2018) on which all Blackberry10 running devices will be switched off due to EOL.

Thank you very much in advance,
    best regards.
    Don't get confused with EOL. To me, nothing like EOL exist cos it's not like the device is going to die, so why the use of EOL.
    However, below is what I believe will actually happen.

1. BB10 devices will sometime in future(if it hasn't already happened) stop receiving software updates(significant and non-significant). But this does not mean, you won't be able to use the device. The device will continue to work as normal, just no updates. It's just like Microsoft ending support for Windows 7 OS and below.

2. Apps on BB10 devices will also stop getting updates. Some will stop working entirely. Others will work with old features and no way to upgrade to get new features(this can be frustrating most times).

3. It will eventually get to a point where all you can do on it is make and receive calls, send text messages and browse some websites which still use old certificates.

[Posted via my Z30]
    06-29-17 02:10 AM
    Given the life-cycle of corporate devices (and tiny device numbers anyway) - they will likely all cycle out of use by 2018 anyway - especially as inventory was likely finished at some point in 2016 for most devices and early 2017 for the rest.
    06-29-17 04:19 AM
    I bought 3 new Passport SEs when they were available. They are my backups.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-17 06:00 PM
    hahahahahahahaahahaahaha.... this is the best joke ive seen so far here in crackberry it will work until you break it.. its not gonna stop working because its eol and afaik we are already past the EOL hahahaha..
    06-30-17 12:32 AM
    hahahahahahahaahahaahaha.... this is the best joke ive seen so far here in crackberry it will work until you break it.. its not gonna stop working because its eol and afaik we are already past the EOL hahahaha..
    For the average consumers that are still left BlackBerry World closing down and the Amazon Appstore deal running out would signal the end is nigh.

BlackBerry promised 10.3.3 and 10.3.4, whether they keep those promises is another thing.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 06:58 AM
    For the average consumers that are still left BlackBerry World closing down and the Amazon Appstore deal running out would signal the end is nigh.

BlackBerry promised 10.3.3 and 10.3.4, whether they keep those promises is another thing.

Posted via CB10
    core functions will still work that is all that matters for me..

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 07:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    You got 10.3.3 and you probably won't see a 10.3.4 but 1/2 is better than 0/2.
    06-30-17 07:58 AM
    It will work as long as everything in the phone still works. I am keeping three Passport OGs, one white, one black, and one solid black and planning on getting iPhone SE to make up the so-called app gap.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 01:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sure, but when is BlackBerry World shutting down? Nobody has seen an announcement yet. Try not to make up fake news :-)
    Nobody cares about Amazon Appstore. Not even on Android.
    BlackBerry can't just let things go with the enterprise. People there expect long lead times for any product discontinuation or change in availability/support.

Now about 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 it is half fulfilled. Where have you been??

For the average consumer, actually they could care less, if they were better informed. Most people, the ones you don't hear about, are only calling, texting, surfing Web and taking pictures. All of which continue to work in BlackBerry and even old Android or iPhone which have officially seen EOL.
    06-30-17 03:39 PM
    Why do people keep saying BlackBerry has all these Enterprise BB10 customers still active on BB10. I manage a lot of enterprise customers around the world and I don't know any who have standardized on BB10 or BBOS that have not either already migrated off BlackBerry OSs or are now in the process.

At one time we supported BB10 with our enterprise software but after meeting with BlackBerry mid last year we decided to drop all BlackBerry OS support. We had one customer complain at first, but they also told us they had started removing internal support for BB10.

As for 10.3.4, I guess we can see what happens, but now it is over 7 months late. We don't even have any rumors and not even a developer release. Considering it was suppose to ship when 10.3.3 shipped, BlackBerry may have combined both releases into one release. Who knows what might happen, but no senior BlackBerry employee has mentioned 10.3.4 in well over a year.
    07-01-17 02:12 AM
    Where is the 10.3.4? It was only a lie or...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mm2061; 07-01-17 at 04:37 AM.
    07-01-17 03:55 AM
    Sure, but when is BlackBerry World shutting down? Nobody has seen an announcement yet. Try not to make up fake news :-)
    What? Review my post, I've not mentioned a shutdown date. It's hardly newsworthy stating that BlackBerry World will shutdown.

Nobody cares about Amazon Appstore. Not even on Android.
    The average consumer won't be installing APK's or side loading. 10.3 gives them access to BlackBerry World and Amazon Appstore.

Many using Fire OS products care about the Amazon Appstore, that's one reason why it's got big name apps (like Spotify, Netflix, Facebook, Skype, Candy Crush, etc.).

BlackBerry can't just let things go with the enterprise. People there expect long lead times for any product discontinuation or change in availability/support.

Now about 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 it is half fulfilled. Where have you been??
    It's been discussed before, 10.3.3 was pulled and rejected by many carriers. BlackBerry haven't followed through with the update, presumably because their key customers are satisfied.

Why the attitude?

For the average consumer, actually they could care less, if they were better informed. Most people, the ones you don't hear about, are only calling, texting, surfing Web and taking pictures. All of which continue to work in BlackBerry and even old Android or iPhone which have officially seen EOL.
    I'm not sure on your location but I do not believe you are accurate for the average consumer of 2017 in the UK (which was a relative bastion for BlackBerry).

Posted via CB10
    07-01-17 08:30 AM
    Hmmm... there are still people out there using DOS. The BB 10 OS isn't going to stop working. EOL means it will stop being supported. This is not the Apocalypse.
    Last edited by scrannel; 07-01-17 at 09:23 AM.
    07-01-17 09:03 AM
    Why do people keep saying BlackBerry has all these Enterprise BB10 customers still active on BB10. I manage a lot of enterprise customers around the world and I don't know any who have standardized on BB10 or BBOS that have not either already migrated off BlackBerry OSs or are now in the process.

At one time we supported BB10 with our enterprise software but after meeting with BlackBerry mid last year we decided to drop all BlackBerry OS support. We had one customer complain at first, but they also told us they had started removing internal support for BB10.

As for 10.3.4, I guess we can see what happens, but now it is over 7 months late. We don't even have any rumors and not even a developer release. Considering it was suppose to ship when 10.3.3 shipped, BlackBerry may have combined both releases into one release. Who knows what might happen, but no senior BlackBerry employee has mentioned 10.3.4 in well over a year.
    Who says that? They have some, but not many, and all that they have are transitioning.

07-01-17 09:37 AM
    Who says that? They have some, but not many, and all that they have are transitioning.

In an earlier post on this thread some stated that BlackBerry had to continue to support BB10 because of their enterprise customers.
    07-01-17 03:21 PM
    That was true a few years ago, and that's why they had to release 10.3.3 for security certifications, but I think those obligations have all been met now.

07-01-17 05:57 PM
    That was true a few years ago, and that's why they had to release 10.3.3 for security certifications, but I think those obligations have all been met now.

Agreed, I also assume that BlackBerry considers 10.3.3 a combination of 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 considering it shipped when 10.3.4 was promised. Also, we see zero activity from BlackBerry on BB10.
    07-02-17 01:04 AM
    I'dont understand...I have a Passport SE with 10.3.2 still working perfectly in everything and I don't lie when I say that many people with android or iOS phones ask me to do something in web that they can't do with their new android or iOs phones because of blocking apps or web pages or fluidity issues...even the google maps (I have Navfree working perfectly). If all phones in EOL works like that.....well...I'll choose an EOL smartphone next!

Posted via CB10
    07-02-17 04:19 AM
38 12