How fast is the android runtime on the latest OS on the blackberry passport? Any passport users here?
    09-29-14 06:09 AM
    It is much faster than on the Z30. As an example, Cut The Rope 2 loads 10 seconds faster on PlayBook. Unfortunately, Passport is still not as fast as the Nexus 4. Nexus 4 loads Cut the Rope 2 about 5 seconds faster than Passport.

Generally though, compatibility is the same between Passport and Z30.

One issue on Passport is that some apps are squished because of the Aspect Ratio. This is mostly with load screens.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 07:21 AM
    Please don't compare Blackberry 10 Phones with Nexus 4 or any other android phones, Reason is simple, Games and applications like temple run 2, etc are written for android, using android SDK, So they will run faster and smoother in android phones, Blackberry 10 case is different. We are running android applications inside android runtime, which is running under Blackberry OS 10. its just like a virtual machine, As usual all virtual machines will be slow comparing to native OS, That's that's why android application are loading little bit slow; But still we can except improvement in future 10.3 updates.
    codeslinga and damien kupuku like this.
    09-30-14 07:18 AM
    I like the comparisons with android phones. It's a good baseline in which to compare. Ignore all those that say not to use those comparisons.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    Deckard79, Vuneu and jope28 like this.
    09-30-14 07:21 AM
    I like the comparisons with android phones. It's a good baseline in which to compare. Ignore all those that say not to use those comparisons.

Agreed - Android runtime (and Amazon app store) is an integral part of the BB10 experience so comparisons are entirely relevant. As you were.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:28 AM

Agreed. I'm not sure it's ever reasonable to expect it to be equivalent to a top line Android phone, but if it's decent that's enough I'd have thought.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:29 AM
    You guys obviously don't listen. It's native vs virtual it will never be faster on bb10 so there is no point comparing performance. You can't even compare with application compatibility.

With the same Android versions I've still seen some apps that don't work.

It's a flawed comparison is what the guy above was saying. But just ignore it and do as u wish.

Ignorance is bliss as they say.
    Last edited by Makaveli@Beta; 09-30-14 at 10:20 AM.
    codeslinga and trsbbs like this.
    09-30-14 07:44 AM
    I'll keep making comparisons to native android. We are running the same apps as native android devices. How is their performance on different devices not instructive?

You can't hide something by pretending it doesn't matter. It matters.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:51 AM
    I'll keep making comparisons to native android. We are running the same apps as native android devices. How is their performance on different devices not instructive?

You can't hide something by pretending it doesn't matter. It matters.

Posted via CB10
    Of course you can compare it. But it's never going to be as good, that's all. If it's "pretty decent" and "not that far off", that's a good result.
    09-30-14 08:17 AM
    Android apps opens up immediately on the passport, in some instances it might take max. 2sec and runs just as smooth as any native BlackBerry apps...I'll take this anyday over an android phone

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    09-30-14 08:22 AM
    I think the additional power with quad-core and higher clocks should bring the android performance close to native android. Native android runs in a vm as well from my understanding, but the system isn't running multiple os vms like bb10 is.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.0.1154
    09-30-14 08:34 AM
    Android apps opens up immediately on the passport, in some instances it might take max. 2sec and runs just as smooth as any native BlackBerry apps...I'll take this anyday over an android phone

Posted via CB10
    Time how long it takes Cut the Rope 2 to load.

Longer than 2 seconds, right?

It is a myth that Android can't run as fast as Native Android. Android Apps run in in a virtual machine that sits on top of another OS on both platforms.

Load times are one area where BlackBerry really lags. In app performance is almost always really good.

Posted via CB10
    Kaacz likes this.
    09-30-14 08:36 AM
    I think the additional power with quad-core and higher clocks should bring the android performance close to native android. Native android runs in a vm as well from my understanding, but the system isn't running multiple os vms like bb10 is.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.0.1154
    Maybe performance will improve when AIR is removed in 10.3.1?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:38 AM
    You guys obviously don't listen. It's native vs virtual it will never be faster on bb10 so there is no point comparing performance. You can't even comapre with application compatibility.

With the same Andriod versions I've still seen some apps that don't work.

It's a flawed comparison is what the guy above was saying. But just ignore it and do as u wish.

It is entirely relevant for the purpose of comparing the end user experience between different phones.

That it will never be as quick as on an Android handset is completely besides the point. Nobody expects it to be. What many still like to know is how BIG a difference there is, and whether this performance gap changes as the BB10 runtime is updated.

What's with all the "can't do this" culture anyway? It's a forum we're all free to use. If you don't like a particular comparison or if it isn't relevant to you, ignore it.

Posted via CB10
    Vuneu likes this.
    09-30-14 08:53 AM
    You guys obviously don't listen. It's native vs virtual it will never be faster on bb10 so there is no point comparing performance. You can't even comapre with application compatibility.

I should add that the last bit was not aimed at you, but the previous guy

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:58 AM

It will be faster because all Android phones have one BIG flaw, they become laggy really fast. That's a trait I never see on BB10 OS. Android has an innate design error and they can never fix it without writing the whole OS all over again.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 09:01 AM
    BB10 just needs to be efficient enough to run the parts of Android needed to get the apps to run. It seems reasonable to me to think of the BB10 android as a stripped down track car that sometimes we have to tow a trailer (android) behind. Comparing that to the typical Anrdoid phone with whatever Sense/Active Wallpaper/Carrier apps running being a F350 with a powerful turbodiesel motor and a bunch of stuff in the bed.

There are some things we're going to do better, and some things that Android phones do better. I think you have to compare the two, even if it's comparing apples to oranges.
    09-30-14 09:03 AM
    It will be faster because all Android phones have one BIG flaw, they become laggy really fast. That's a trait I never see on BB10 OS. Android has an innate design error and they can never fix it without writing the whole OS all over again.

Posted via CB10
    As much as I dislike Android, I haven't witnessed this on recent devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 10:05 AM
    I should add that the last bit was not aimed at you, but the previous guy

Posted via CB10
    No worries.

I do think it has to be pointed out though i've met a few people that assumed you were getting the same performance.

Time how long it takes Cut the Rope 2 to load.

Longer than 2 seconds, right?

It is a myth that Android can't run as fast as Native Android. Android Apps run in in a virtual machine that sits on top of another OS on both platforms.

Load times are one area where BlackBerry really lags. In app performance is almost always really good.

Posted via CB10
    So andriod apps run in a vm in its own native environment?
    09-30-14 10:21 AM

So andriod apps run in a vm in its own native environment?
    Yes.

Android runs on a Linux kernel. Apps are executed in a runtime (either Dalvik or now Art).

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 10:52 AM
    thanks for the clarification I wasn't aware of this.
    09-30-14 11:00 AM
    As much as I dislike Android, I haven't witnessed this on recent devices.

Posted via CB10
    That's why they have to pump up their specs. To keep up with bloated OS. But give it time, it will crumble under his own bad design. All my friends have new Androids and they all have lag problems.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 12:07 PM
    I just installed Bluestacks on Windows machine. I was surprised that I was able to install PlayStore and directly install every app including the apps with Google Play services. Every app runs well without crashing. I am not sure how it is implemented but why can't BlackBerry do something like that? It seems like BlackBerry is purposely trying to disable GSF (to avoid problems with Google), but atleast they can make sure the apps that do not require GFS works really well.
    09-30-14 12:29 PM
    I just installed Bluestacks on Windows machine. I was surprised that I was able to install PlayStore and directly install every app including the apps with Google Play services. Every app runs well without crashing. I am not sure how it is implemented but why can't BlackBerry do something like that? It seems like BlackBerry is purposely trying to disable GSF (to avoid problems with Google), but atleast they can make sure the apps that do not require GFS works really well.
    Google requires devices to be Android in order to be allowed to use Google Play Services. End of Story. Bluestacks is free software that tricks the Playstore into thinking it is an Android Phone. Blackberry can not get permission for Play Services and can not legally use similar trickery.
    Google would start to lose millions or more in advertising dollars by opening up Play Services and millions in licensing fees on Google Apps which the entire Suite are required in order to currently have access to Play Services. Not gonna happen.

Android, which is based on Linux was going to be a 'free and open' OS. That was so 2008. Those days are long gone.
    09-30-14 02:06 PM
    You guys obviously don't listen. It's native vs virtual it will never be faster on bb10 so there is no point comparing performance. You can't even compare with application compatibility.

With the same Android versions I've still seen some apps that don't work.

Performance increases in Android run time on BB10OS vs Android phones is relevant conversation fodder. No one is expecting BB10 to outperform the Android phone, but it is nice to know how close BB10 gets to the Android phone.
    09-30-14 04:50 PM
28 12