Like major banks. Bb10 is intertwined with too much with affiliated governments. MO why Chen is so clueless on this is he knows he will be bailed out with a mass infusion of government cash

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 02:32 PM
    Welcome back.

Anyway, is it BES that is in deep with government and enterprise or is it just BB10? The Good acquisition plus all the other work towards making BES cross platform makes me think it's the former.
    04-18-16 02:41 PM
    I think it is chen know governments won't allow him to fail that's why he is being so stupid regarding just throwing off regular bb10 users concerns

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 02:45 PM
    BB10 is big?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-18-16 02:47 PM
    Is BlackBerry OS10 too big too fail?
    No, not by a long shot. There are lots of alternatives to BB10 and BES, and many governments and enterprises are already using those alternatives successfully.
    04-18-16 05:16 PM
    Like major banks. Bb10 is intertwined with too much with affiliated governments. MO why Chen is so clueless on this is he knows he will be bailed out with a mass infusion of government cash
    The big issue with banks is that if a large bank fails, it will bring down other banks with it. That's a disaster of epic proportions with major impact not on government operations, but much more importantly on normal people and private businesses all over the world. It's that ripple effect that makes us too big to fail.

This is not anywhere close to a similar situation with BB10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-18-16 05:46 PM
    No, not by a long shot. There are lots of alternatives to BB10 and BES, and many governments and enterprises are already using those alternatives successfully.
    Right. Goldman and the US Navy already switched haven't they for instance.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 01:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    I work for a large Canadian bank. We now issue corporate owned iPhone in addition to BB10. So to answer your question, the respective risk managers have been planning for this for quite some time.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    04-20-16 05:55 AM
    I think only in the CB bubble universe BB10 is irreplaceable for governments and banks. If that were the case Chen, who holds all the data about who uses BB10 devices, would not have used Android on any device.
    04-20-16 06:09 AM
    I think only in the CB bubble universe BB10 is irreplaceable for governments and banks. If that were the case Chen, who holds all the data about who uses BB10 devices, would not have used Android on any device.
    He wouldn't have brought up the replacement of BlackBerry 10 devices with Android ones (manufactured by BlackBerry) otherwise. See tons of quotes regarding the securing of Android and so on... BlackBerry 10 will end up like Palm

Posted via my Black Passport
    04-20-16 08:04 AM
    Everyone knows BB10 is the most secure and greatest OS since sliced bread.

It's just marketing that made it fail.
    04-20-16 08:38 AM
    Note that Chen has never claimed that the BlackBerry version of Android is as secure as BB10, nor has he claimed that it will be anytime soon. Rather he openly says that accomplishing that feat will be "difficult" and perhaps not achievable in the near term. So while BB10 is on life support at the moment, by his own admission he doesn't have the option of killing it any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 09:25 AM
    Note that Chen has never claimed that the BlackBerry version of Android is as secure as BB10, nor has he claimed that it will be anytime soon. Rather he openly says that accomplishing that feat will be "difficult" and perhaps not achievable in the near term. So while BB10 is on life support at the moment, by his own admission he doesn't have the option of killing it any time soon.
    Agreed, he can't kill it. He can, however, lock it in the cellar with no food or water but once a year.
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    04-20-16 09:39 AM
    So while BB10 is on life support at the moment, by his own admission he doesn't have the option of killing it any time soon.
    He stopped making the Classic because he ran out of parts. So he didn't technically kill it but they aren't going to make any more.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-20-16 09:46 AM
    No. More like too small to notice. Yeah some very specific niches might rely on it. But I get the impression with the Good acquisition that BB intends to move their branding and efforts towards Good and Android and away from BES and blackberry 10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-20-16 10:16 AM
    To big too fail?

I think that no company is to big to fail... some might have deeper pockets, but history gave many examples:

- Nokia
    - Novell
    - Kodak
    - Banyan Vines

Posted via Passport running BlackBerry OS10
    04-20-16 11:13 AM
    Rather than too big to fail, I believe BB 10 is too small to not fail at this point considering the day to day dwindling marketshare and gradual abandonment by BlackBerry itself.
    04-20-16 11:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Only short sighted governments will feel the effect of the end of BB10.

Many looked for alternatives when the big BlackBerry outage of 2011 hit, that along with this "transition" to a new OS was enough to at least get them looking. When BB10 flopped at launch and Thor put out the FOR SALE sign... many other decided they was the time to look for an alternative. The few left with any sense can see they have a window here to find some sort of non-BlackBerry replacement for BB10 over the next year or so.

Maybe once BlackBerry's finical problems are a thing of the past... maybe they'll work out a deal for a BlackBerry co-branded Samsung KNOX device they can sell with BES/Good licenses. And those Government customer will rely on BlackBerry again....
    04-20-16 12:00 PM
    Nice to have dreams
    04-20-16 12:11 PM
    The big issue with banks is that if a large bank fails, it will bring down other banks with it. That's a disaster of epic proportions with major impact not on government operations, but much more importantly on normal people and private businesses all over the world. It's that ripple effect that makes us too big to fail.

This is not anywhere close to a similar situation with BB10.
    The whole too big to fail argument is a load of male bovine excrement. Break up the banks if that's the case, otherwise the entire industry and not just banks will consolidate like this within the next 15-20 years, maybe even sooner. Look at Apple and Google, especially Google right now. What would happen if tomorrow Google got into trouble and said sorry folks but we are shutting down Android. We would once again see the "too big to fail" argument in the spotlight. In fact, everything is trending to consolidation of such proportions that the sheer fact of how much each business entitiy, banking or otherwise, is embedded in everyday lives will mean that they all have to be protected by the taxpayer.
    04-20-16 01:14 PM
    As recent replies suggest, the OP has it backwards. BlackBerry was once big. But by the time BlackBerry got its excellent new platform together, both BlackBerry and BB10 were too small to succeed.

Hindsight is 20/20, and I do not buy the pontifications - popular on CB forums - that failure was a foregone conclusion. But the window of success had shrunk so as to also shrink the margin of error. And BlackBerry made too many mistakes with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 01:46 PM
    More grasping at straws today. To big too fail? LOL BB10 was never big to begin with.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-20-16 01:57 PM
    The whole too big to fail argument is a load of male bovine excrement. Break up the banks if that's the case, otherwise the entire industry and not just banks will consolidate like this within the next 15-20 years, maybe even sooner. Look at Apple and Google, especially Google right now. What would happen if tomorrow Google got into trouble and said sorry folks but we are shutting down Android. We would once again see the "too big to fail" argument in the spotlight. In fact, everything is trending to consolidation of such proportions that the sheer fact of how much each business entitiy, banking or otherwise, is embedded in everyday lives will mean that they all have to be protected by the taxpayer.
    I think banking and tech are very different things. In most of the world (including China), banks literally insure each other. It's maybe worth a different thread, but I think any comparison between banking and tech here is flawed.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-20-16 02:13 PM
    I think banking and tech are very different things. In most of the world (including China), banks literally insure each other. It's maybe worth a different thread, but I think any comparison between banking and tech here is flawed.
    Let us agree to disagree. Something becomes "too big to fail" in the moment that the population or special interests or both feel that dismantling such institutions or letting them disappear has consequences that may be especially difficult to manage. In other words, there is no appetite to deal with the fallout. I do not accept the argument that because the system is complex and it has gotten to the point where it is difficult for any one person or institution to keep track of the dealings of such institution, it should be left alone, or even worse encouraged or propped up to keep on doing the wrong thing. Let's have this conversation again in a few years when our banking system has caused yet another meltdown
    04-20-16 06:06 PM
    Let us agree to disagree. Something becomes "too big to fail" in the moment that the population or special interests or both feel that dismantling such institutions or letting them disappear has consequences that may be especially difficult to manage. In other words, there is no appetite to deal with the fallout. I do not accept the argument that because the system is complex and it has gotten to the point where it is difficult for any one person or institution to keep track of the dealings of such institution, it should be left alone, or even worse encouraged or propped up to keep on doing the wrong thing. Let's have this conversation again in a few years when our banking system has caused yet another meltdown
    So this reminds of the old saying that democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the rest that have been tried from time to time.

No one is denying that the modern banking system has significant risks. I've yet to see a concrete proposal for an alternative that wouldn't actually be even worse, though. Who has a better alternative that you've seen? If it would actually be better, I'm all for it.

Remember much of the post-2008 governance strategy is designed to prevent another meltdown. I can't say this will succeed or for how long we can avoid a meltdown.

What I can say with 100% certainty is that if governments allow a large bank to fail, we can be absolutely certain of a major meltdown. You're right that regulators don't want to face that scenario. I would argue no one on earth should want to endure that again.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-20-16 06:26 PM
26 12