If all you use a computer for is texting, emailing, writing and browsing the web than I guess so.
    Except you can already get a Chromebook or Chromebox (or build your own micro-PC with a build of Linux - you can even do so on a $25 Raspberry Pi) and those already have thousands (or tens of thousands) of apps, today.

The single biggest issue for any OS is developer support, and developers generally aren't interested in supporting dozens of OSs - for developers, the fewer the better.
    LazyEvul and co4nd like this.
    08-15-15 12:50 PM
    I moved to Google-Ville a few years ago....
    Meaning, I dropped Microsoft and went Chromebook 100 percent. There is little I CAN'T do on a Chromebook that I could do on a PC. And, it's 1/2 the price... or less.

I am a fan of QNX. If Berry put out a Chromebook type device with QNX, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I still use my Playbook Bridged to my 9900. If there was a Berry QNX Chromebook type device that could "BLEND" to a BB10 phone, that would be a fantastic option for me.
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    08-15-15 12:55 PM
    This is way out of left field and I'm not sure if it is entirely possible, but couldn't you buy X amount of let's say broken passports, gut them put it together as 1 unit and boot the os like so?

I know there are more complexities than that, but I'm kinda surprised no one has attempted it with Z10s or Q10's.

Via Passport via CB10
    08-15-15 02:57 PM
    This is way out of left field and I'm not sure if it is entirely possible, but couldn't you buy X amount of let's say broken passports, gut them put it together as 1 unit and boot the os like so?

I know there are more complexities than that, but I'm kinda surprised no one has attempted it with Z10s or Q10's.

Via Passport via CB10
    I honestly thought I was going to have to do that after my passport went for a swim and wrecking much of it when taking it apart to clean. I'm good at taking phones apart and putting them together now, just wasn't then haha

Posted via P'CB10
    08-15-15 03:04 PM
    For anyone saying a reboot is necessary after 3-4 days, I'm on a month without restarting with my device since I've got it and I'm going to see how long it can go. Haven't experienced an issue yet

BlackBerry OS for Computers-img_20150815_145855.png

Posted via P'CB10
    08-15-15 03:07 PM
    This would not be an option for me. I use my laptop for way more than my phone could ever do. And the power difference between a quad core x86 i7 that can turbo to 3.4GHz paired with a Nvidia 750M and an ARM Snapdragon S4 1.5GHz dual core with a Adreno 320 is huge. I game on my laptop extensively, and some of the games I run would make any phone cry.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    08-15-15 03:22 PM
    Well you have to start from somewhere. When it comes to computers you don't think it's boring to have only Microsoft, Apple and sometimes Linux as your only choice of OS? I'm speaking in general.
    They aren't competitive in phones and you want them to compete against 3 established companies, each of which is about 100 times as big as they, are in computers. It would be better for them to just get cash and set it on fire. At least if they did that right the could maybe use it to heat their buildings a little.
    08-15-15 07:54 PM
    thats what they said about apple's mac OS, until they released the iphone and disrupted the mobile market. maybe blackberry can do the same in desktop, disrupt microsoft's monopoly since bbry has better security, no viruses and not hackable

Apple also came out with a very new OS based on Unix and wouldn't have had the same success had that not been in place.
    08-15-15 08:05 PM
    You see you're making a rather big mistake there, the small part of the list I mentioned is stone cold fact for a lot of users, and it's pissing a lot of users off as well
    Wipe the phone if it's working like ****... always works. The update process breaks the OS... who knows why.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-15-15 08:14 PM
    Wipe the phone if it's working like ****... always works. The update process breaks the OS... who knows why.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Having to wipe the system and reinstall every time it gets updated would be a great feature for a desktop computer.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-15-15 08:26 PM
    Having to wipe the system and reinstall every time it gets updated would be a great feature for a desktop computer.
    It is a feature. On Windows at least lol.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-15-15 08:40 PM
    It is a feature. On Windows at least lol.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339

Yes, you are correct. What blue screen?
    08-15-15 08:45 PM
    Yes, you are correct. What blue screen?
    Never blue screened since windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have been good.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    extisis likes this.
    08-15-15 08:54 PM
    Why would it be interesting ? I'm a linux - mac - win user, there is more than a thousand linux distro focused on your need (music - privacy - forensic - multimedia). What blackberry could do better ? Software developpement (outlook kind app, BBM for desktop...) is a better way i think to enter on our desktop-laptop than OS. And as said OS without app are useless...
    rthonpm likes this.
    08-16-15 02:48 AM
    They can barely get a Mobile OS right, I can't imagine how bad a PC OS would be
    You misunderstand the problem.

Edit:. I didnt notice i was replying to a old comment
    08-31-15 11:07 PM
    They aren't competitive in phones and you want them to compete against 3 established companies, each of which is about 100 times as big as they, are in computers. It would be better for them to just get cash and set it on fire. At least if they did that right the could maybe use it to heat their buildings a little.
    They dont get hacked? Maybe somebody would like a computer that doesn't get hacked?
    Like me ; )
    08-31-15 11:12 PM
    They dont get hacked? Maybe somebody would like a computer that doesn't get hacked?
    Like me ; )
    You're better off running a good Linux distro than waiting for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 12:18 AM
    Like me ; )
    Sure, go install BSD
    09-01-15 12:33 AM
    I don't see a worthwhile need for this. Chromebooks are quite frankly a failure. Mobile OS's should remain mobile OS's.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 08:50 AM
    How about a resurrected PlayBook to BlackBerry 10 standards plus stronger processor and lots of ram. Maybe even a ability to run Microsoft programs.

BlackBerry is a mobility company but needs to be innovative, not a follower!

BlackBerry Passport SE on Rogers in Victoria BC Canada to CB 10
    09-01-15 04:55 PM
70 123