05-07-15 05:17 AM
35 12
tools
    I think if Blackberry is going to increase the OS edition because of the ANDRIOD runtime, they should really call it BB 10^100.
    05-03-15 09:41 PM
    Leap specs? You want BlackBerry to produce an 8-inch tablet in 2015 or later, running a Snapdragon S4 Plus and Adreno 225?
    05-03-15 10:25 PM
    good concept of OS 11. The way Microsoft is promoting windows 10 as one OS for all devices, BB OS 11 with full compatibility of android applications, would be great idea to go ahead.
    As a person who splits their time between a Z30 & Lumia 920 I think the question many of us Windows Phone users are asking after the Bridges announcement also applies to BB, what's the point? Anytime you try to grow your OS on the back of another OS it never ends well. In BB's case it's even worse because at least MS is asking devs to recompile their Android and iOS apps and they will be published in the Windows store, not allowing side loading of APKs or 3rd party stores like BB has done. I don't think MS strategy will be successful but I at least give them a little credit for not totally giving up like BB has, Amazon app store officially loaded on with the 10.3 OS was their Waterloo moment IMO.
    05-04-15 12:02 AM
    As a person who splits their time between a Z30 & Lumia 920 I think the question many of us Windows Phone users are asking after the Bridges announcement also applies to BB, what's the point? Anytime you try to grow your OS on the back of another OS it never ends well. In BB's case it's even worse because at least MS is asking devs to recompile their Android and iOS apps and they will be published in the Windows store, not allowing side loading of APKs or 3rd party stores like BB has done. I don't think MS strategy will be successful but I at least give them a little credit for not totally giving up like BB has, Amazon app store officially loaded on with the 10.3 OS was their Waterloo moment IMO.
    i liked the whole Android implementation when it began with the playbook and how it kept upgrading to be able to use newer apps compatible with newer OS's... but it's really all just hype. after deleting all my ported apps i noticed a huge difference in battery life and zippier processing.
    05-04-15 09:54 PM
    It's not about a new OS any more than GM needs a new engine. It's about fulfilling a need in a must have way with attitude...

In my view, and I've been with BB since the two way pager days, owning a BB is like driving a Cadillac. You're not trying to sell to the masses, your >1% of the market don't mind paying a fair price for a quality product.

Cadillac made the mistake of producing a sports car years ago, I hope BB is careful with this Android stuff that it doesn't become their sports car. Don't get me wrong, I like the android environment and think it adds a nice dimension to their device, but they can't sacrifice their core business of security and quality to fish for customers looking for tons of apps at a cheap price (think Leap)...

Trying to get a 10 year old or even masses of high school students to think BB is "hip" or "cool" just isn't going to happen. But targeting young salaried employees with the added android environment might make them the modern day Mullet. Business in the front and party in the back...

They could also use a suite of products that allows the small business owner remote visibility to their total business. That's a market waiting to be tapped. It's really the opposite of Blend, imagine having your laptop in your hand while commuting on the train? that's more productive than being able to BBM or text from your desktop... Imagine your PP being your mobile computer with everything you've done on your PP sync'd when you dock and boot up...

Apple is trying to do this with their iPhone, iPad and Mac but they're coming up short. This is a wheel that still needs rounding to be considered, "invented"...
    05-05-15 02:12 AM
    You forgot that the actual version of windows "10" is 6.4.9xxx. Don't believe me? Check wikipedia.

Posted from my QNX powered BlackBerry Q10.
    moyah8 likes this.
    05-05-15 05:00 AM
    i liked the whole Android implementation when it began with the playbook and how it kept upgrading to be able to use newer apps compatible with newer OS's... but it's really all just hype. after deleting all my ported apps i noticed a huge difference in battery life and zippier processing.
    Yes native apps will always be better in every respect. Android was meant to be a temporary measure until native apps became available, and now has become the only thing in terms of apps. BB is in a slow death spiral instead of a fast crash and burn. IMO Chen's plan all along was to make deep cuts, make money anywhere they can to make the company as attractive as possible to potential buyers. The previous CEO's fortunes were tied to BB10 the current CEO doesn't have that problem, and IMO would have no problem making BB strictly a mobile security technology licencing company until a sale happens.
    05-05-15 11:19 AM
    You forgot that the actual version of windows "10" is 6.4.9xxx. Don't believe me? Check wikipedia.

Indeed... They can check for themselves via running "dxdiag".
    BlackBerry OS 11-capture.jpg

Thats my system on "Windows 7".

"Windows 8" I believe is 6.2
    05-05-15 01:02 PM

so what's Windows 7 then? adding numbers to their versions never made sense unless it was '95... '98... 2000/ME
    05-06-15 12:06 AM
    so what's Windows 7 then? adding numbers to their versions never made sense unless it was '95... '98... 2000/ME
    Windows 7 is actually 6.1

Vista was 6 and Windows 8 is 6.2
    05-07-15 05:17 AM
35 12