I don't think a lot of people realize the very little amount of support that is provided by phone manufacturers after the product is released. Very few (virtually none) provide road maps to state what updates will come etc other than maybe the first guaranteed one. It's just far too big of a liability concern to lock yourself into something that may or may not happen.

So far I'm quite happy with the support I've received from BlackBerry over the years. Would I have liked some other features or changes on BB10? Sure, but the product always functioned just fine for me. With android are they providing the security updates which is at the core of their mandate? Absolutely. Hopefully with more and more leaks and data hacks people will begin to realize the importance of these security patches and whatnot and it may draw them to BlackBerry or at least make these other manufacturers stand up and take note of the importance of this.
    Apple provides their users with a pretty long (5 years) roadmap of updates and patches... is probably why they are number one in enterprise these days. Granted, in the Android world... it's tough to know when/if your 18 month old phone will get an update or not - probably why enterprise sticks to major brands.

I think most people understand that most of the leaks and hacks are taking place on the server side of things. So choice of mobile device has very little to do with it. Especially when it's almost impossible to find someone that has experienced one of these reported dangers within their circle of contacts.

As for the OP... it's over!
    03-13-17 09:56 AM
    Apple provides their users with a pretty long (5 years) roadmap of updates and patches... is probably why they are number one in enterprise these days. Granted, in the Android world... it's tough to know when/if your 18 month old phone will get an update or not - probably why enterprise sticks to major brands.

I think most people understand that most of the leaks and hacks are taking place on the server side of things. So choice of mobile device has very little to do with it. Especially when it's almost impossible to find someone that has experienced one of these reported dangers within their circle of contacts.

As for the OP... it's over!
    Oh absolutely! I wasn't trying to compare Apple into the equation. Apple has built a fantastic brand that is very successful and has a product that is probably unmatched at this point. They're also in an enviable position of stability compared to most brands and companies that allows them to predict future ability compared to a lot. Let's be honest, there's several mobile manufacturers that won't be there in 5 years which makes providing any guarantees extremely hard to do.

The Android market is extremely competitive.

I also don't think the majority of people know the amount of information they have that is leaking out continuously through data mining etc though either. However, people may not care whatsoever with the amount of information they provide for free on social media these days
    03-13-17 10:00 AM
    OK, let's spread the impact beyond BlackBerry10 or BlackBerry 7,to the reputation of BlackBerry products. It goes beyond not supporting your Operating System to not supporting your products. How many products has BlackBerry ceased to support in the last half decade. So if someone's in the market to purchase a mobile device (which now can cost more than some laptops), do they invest in a product manufactured by a company known for moving on to the next thing without support for their previous ventures.
    Basically, since mobile technology does evolve so quickly, what happens if the Dtek Technology isn't leading the pack in a year from now and another manufacturers has over taken the BlackBerry platform, again. In such an event, what in BlackBerry's current history indicates that they'll continue to support their products? And that being the case, what incentive does an Android user have to switch to BlackBerry?
    A Good reputation is not only for the consumer benefit.

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    Last edited by KNEBB; 03-13-17 at 01:26 PM.
    03-13-17 10:13 AM
    Well, the last BB10 device release was the Passport 2-1/2 years ago. The SE doesn't really count since it's internally the same device. Even so, the SE is close to 2 years old itself.

2 years is ancient in cell-phone years. We're lucky to even get the 10.3.3 update that we got several months back.

The number of "us BlackBerry lovers" have dwindled down to such a marginal size that whatever noise we make still wouldn't be heard.

Even I have resigned to the fact that my next phone will be android (BlackBerry or not).

But then, me hanging on to my nearly 4 year old Z10 hasn't helped BlackBerry in any way. I can't just buy every device that comes along. And what BlackBerry needed was lots of people buying lots of devices over and over again. That didn't happen.

From Chen's point of view, customers left in droves. That doesn't look like loyalty to him. A few thousand "loud loyal" customers remaining don't pay the bills. He has to answer to the stockholders and make them money. Hanging on to BB10 just isn't doing it.

It seems we keep having to explain this concept over and over, doesn't it?

It's like the old man yelling at the sky because it's raining as if that's going to make a difference.

Joel
    Was going to say something to this effect
    03-13-17 10:17 AM
    The could probably sell it or license it, but I don't see that happening soon or ever? For now, I'm still using OS 10.
    03-13-17 01:21 PM
    The could probably sell it or license it, but I don't see that happening soon or ever? For now, I'm still using OS 10.
    It's already available for licensing. Has been since October but no takers. Make of that what you will.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    03-13-17 03:24 PM
    No, having a product that (enough) people value so that you can sell your product at a profit is what makes a successful product. BB10 as a platform simply wasn't valued by nearly enough people to be viable. Remember: people aren't just buying an OS, they're buying into the entire platform, including the hardware and the ecosystem of apps, services, accessories, and media - and BB10 has never been competitive in any of those areas.

Advertising makes sense once you have those bases covered, or at the very least have high levels of confidence that all of those will come with some advertising - but within 6 months of launch, it was clear to upper management and the BoD that none of those things had been secured, nor were they coming, and spending any additional dollars on advertising would have just dug a deeper hole (remember: not only did BB10 not make a penny in profit, as a product-line, it lost about $10 billion in cash and value).

Just the fact that there were so many returns of BB10 phones - at a far higher rate than other brands, told BB that they missed the mark with the product itself, because those were users who had already spent their money (i.e., some kind of marketing had captured them already) and yet they were exchanging their phone for another brand.

For all the reasons I wrote above, BB isn't going to be investing any further in BB10, no matter what. BB10 is a smartphone OS, and they aren't in the smartphone business anymore, except to provide some security and a few apps for Android for other companies to use. Even CBK has advised folks to let it go, because there's realistically a zero chance that BB is ever going to do anything further with BB10. Hell, they laid off the developers 2 years ago and sold the buildings they worked in. It would take a year to hire and train a new staff before they could even begin to work on BB10 again, and at least another year to bring key components current. I promise you, they aren't going to hire a big team and spend 2 years paying for them just to try to get back in the game - where they'd just be right back where they were in 2014, with no apps, services, media, or accessory support.
    Typical Troy. Being logical and making sense again.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2205
    kbz1960 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    03-13-17 03:32 PM
    ATT in Montana sent 10.3.3 out tonight.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-17 11:37 PM
    Well.... Jolla is more comatose than bb10... yet it's still coming out on new phone this year. Go go meego!

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    03-14-17 12:17 AM
    It's already available for licensing. Has been since October but no takers. Make of that what you will.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    Actually it's been available for licensing since September 2013, just no takers.
    03-14-17 01:12 AM
    Actually it's been available for licensing since September 2013, just no takers.
    I think you mean "before August, 2012" because Heins was seeking licensees even before that.

BlackBerry: other manufacturers could license our new BB10 platform - Telegraph

Yes, when they hired financial consultants to "explore strategic options" in Sept of 2013, they renewed their efforts to find licensees for BB10.

Of course, Heins understood the realities even then:

https://memeburn.com/2013/01/heins-b...cessful-first/

When asked if BlackBerry 10 could be considered for licensing to other manufacturers, Heins replied: “Before you licensed the software, you must show that the platform has a large potential. First we have to fulfill our promises. If such proof, a licensing is conceivable.”
    Obviously BB fell flat on their faces when it came to "making BB10 successful first."

You're absolutely right about the part where there's been no takers, though.
    03-14-17 06:20 PM
36 12