Just to be clear I'm not doubting the BlackBerry Android rumors and I'm not in denial about bb10's lack of sales. What I am saying is BB10 is not Android it just has a built in android emulator. And ppl don't seem to understand the difference between the two. It's like using an android emulator on Windows and complaining that the emulator doesn't work exactly like an android phone.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    anon(6038817) and acovey like this.
    09-06-15 10:10 AM
    Just to be clear I'm not doubting the BlackBerry Android rumors and I'm not in denial about bb10's lack of sales. What I am saying is BB10 is not Android it just has a built in android emulator. And ppl don't seem to understand the difference between the two. It's like using an android emulator on Windows and complaining that the emulator doesn't work exactly like an android phone.

I agree with this 100%. People complaining and blaming BlackBerry that Gmail notifications don't work properly in the Hub, for example. To even get Gmail to work they had to get it from a source other than the officially supported Amazon Appstore. Then they had to "trick" BB10 into thinking it had Google Play support. They are trying to use BB10 in a way it wasn't designed to be used, then complaining when...it doesn't work in a way it wasn't designed to work. Ridiculous.

Posted from my Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339 via CB10
    kgbbz10, lift and jtultu like this.
    09-06-15 10:18 AM
    Firefox also made an Android OS...
    Minor clarification: I think the Firefox OS is an independent OS unrelated to android.
    09-06-15 10:25 AM
    Says who? Why would Google allow that? And if BlackBerry makes a secure Android OS it can't possibly be a full Google OS, because secure and Google aren't compatible with each other.

Google has good security considering its scope. You meant privacy I guess as security and privacy are endlessly confused here on CrackBerry when it comes to Google. ??
    Kurdis Blough likes this.
    09-06-15 10:28 AM
    What I am saying is BB10 is not Android it just has a built in android emulator. And ppl don't seem to understand the difference between the two.
    I'd say there is a good chance the average person does not get this, I agree. If they buy a BB10 phone and are told it runs Android apps by the salesperson then I think they'll be expecting it to work exactly like an Android phone. And boy are they in for a disappointment.

But I think most of the forum folks here do understand this difference pretty well. Nonetheless they expect BB to fully support popular services and features in the proper ways. After all we buy phones to use services/apps, etc.
    Delroy Jeffers likes this.
    09-06-15 10:36 AM
    I'd say there is a good chance the average person does not get this, I agree. If they buy a BB10 phone and are told it runs Android apps by the salesperson then I think they'll be expecting it to work exactly like an Android phone. And boy are they in for a disappointment.

But I think most of the forum folks here do understand this difference pretty well. Nonetheless they expect BB to fully support popular services and features in the proper ways. After all we buy phones to use services/apps, etc.
    The ppl that took the time to understand their BlackBerry phone understand this very well. But lately there's been a lot of posts by new and older users that haven't grasp this fact that their phone isn't an android. Hell some don't even know how to restart the thing and then bash BlackBerry for their ignorance, granted this happens with any type of product when ppl don't research or try to figure anything out for themselves. But this post was a response to all these ppl on CB who keep informing us of their ignorance and want us all to know why they believe BlackBerry sucks and why they are leaving for Google.

09-06-15 10:51 AM
    The ppl that took the time to understand their BlackBerry phone understand this very well.
    You mean the ones that don't ever complain and just accept whatever the state of things is?
    09-06-15 10:55 AM
    You mean the ones that don't ever complain and just accept whatever the state of things is?
    No I'm talking about the ppl who just want to complain about their BlackBerry not being a Google Android and telling us all how much BlackBerry sucks and don't care to try a work around. All they want to do is complain and inform us how much better Google is than BlackBerry. You can't tell me you haven't seen all these posts lately. It's one thing to complain about missing features, it's a whole other story when you come on CB just to inform everyone that you're leaving for blah blah reason.

southlander and acovey like this.
    09-06-15 11:21 AM
    Yum-Yum ... chewing material.
    I'd say that there's an angle we've not considered.
    [warning : rumor over the rumor : salt, etc]
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...berry-1037126/
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-06-15 at 04:05 PM.
    09-06-15 01:21 PM
    After all we buy phones to use services/apps, etc.
    We buy phones because we want them for what they do. Some prefer android, some prefer BlackBerry, some are loyal fans of apple. I like what BlackBerry does offer, i did not like what my android phone did, otherwise i wouldnt have looked for BlackBerry after being told by atnt that BlackBerry is not what i should want.

The app argument for people that want apps that they cant get on BlackBerry is valid, specifically, but so much of the slamming BB and put-downs are from meaningless generalizations. Or, if a BB app or android port app doesnt work as well as it should. For those issues, we need to improve the situation or not gain customers.

But i really think BlackBerrys are what most everyone would fall in love with once they try one, and that is why carriers refuse to have them available on display.

Meanwhile, i do appreciate the intent of the OP's thread and share his sentiments 100%.
    acovey likes this.
    09-06-15 01:39 PM
    The app argument for people that want apps that they cant get on BlackBerry is valid, specifically, but so much of the slamming BB and put-downs are from meaningless generalizations. Or, if a BB app or android port app doesnt work as well as it should. For those issues, we need to improve the situation or not gain customers.

But i really think BlackBerrys are what most everyone would fall in love with once they try one, and that is why carriers refuse to have them available on display.
    Yes BlackBerry needs to support apps and services in a way that people expect or they'll lose. Look at the BB in-house terrible FaceBook app they have as one great example. Most people seem to hate it. Look at another recent thread about not handling the "All Mail" situation with Gmail as another. People have expectations, and a company can ignore that at it's own peril.

I agree that more people would like a BlackBerry if they ever really tried it. But the rules are the rules in business and BlackBerry has to win by the rules -- not some sympathy play. BB screwed Verizon on the whole Storm fiasco back in the day. So yeah maybe VZW has some "grudge". But seriously the carriers actually want someone to threaten Apple's dominance. If BlackBerry brought a game changer to the table I think they (the carriers) would give it a shot. I don't agree that the carriers are trying to keep people from using BlackBerrys in some way (conspiracy theory).
    09-06-15 02:47 PM
    No I'm talking about the ppl who just want to complain about their BlackBerry not being a Google Android and telling us all how much BlackBerry sucks and don't care to try a work around. All they want to do is complain and inform us how much better Google is than BlackBerry. You can't tell me you haven't seen all these posts lately. It's one thing to complain about missing features, it's a whole other story when you come on CB just to inform everyone that you're leaving for blah blah reason.

The "I'm leaving because BlackBerry sucks" posts aggravate me as well, yes. Especially since it is often a very transparent attempt to slam BB in a public forum while pretending to say "so long" or whatever.

You're of course talking about the All Mail folder Gmail thread. So, the OP complained, got help, and chose not follow the advice. I actually found the thread useful in that I had not noticed the change to the Hub behavior. So that thread did not bother me.

I have not followed any others.
    09-06-15 03:03 PM
    I don't agree that the carriers are trying to keep people from using BlackBerrys in some way (conspiracy theory).
    Conthpirathy Theory! Pffffffft !
    The motivation for carriers can be from a number of things, and you can label conjecture conspiracy theory, but the truth about monitoring everything, and i do mean Every-Thing, we do, has a plan that goes right down the rabbit hole and you cant get there without taking the red pill first to keep your brain from swelling up and exploding, and also so that your head can fit into the hole. I may want to pursue this topic in the lounge section after my weekend trip is over, because it requires me to follow up on sources rather than just generalizing some things i heard on a recent radio show. But for THIS thread:

Carriers get money for data collection, in one form or another, try to get them to deny this or try to find your terms of services to have a look, it may be more of their income than the device or subscription sales.

Blackberry gives them less of this data. It is less prone to data overages. It results in fewer phone upgrades at a huge markup, simply because people's phones dont really degrade or degenerate.

I also suspect but cannot prove that the us gov't wants to curtail the brand in the US for their obvious information-control reasons. They may give retailers incentives just like they dictate access to data and making sure it is available.

My hard evidence for now is simply that my carrier told me not to buy a BlackBerry, turned out it was only 3 months after the phones hit the stores (BB10).
    acovey likes this.
    09-06-15 04:30 PM
    Apple buys parts for the iPhone from Samsung.

They both sell smarthpones.

The basis of your argument is based on a false premise.

BlackBerry and Google can be partners and STILL be competitors.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-06-15 05:04 PM
    To be honest I am on the verge of do not to caring. If Chen can make Droid secure and I will not have to give up story of my life to Google, and be able to manage app permission without loosing their core functionality than why not.
    Just don't want to pay early adopter price, PlayBook experience was was more than enough for me.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    09-06-15 05:22 PM
    Apple buys parts for the iPhone from Samsung.

They both sell smarthpones.

The basis of your argument is based on a false premise.

BlackBerry and Google can be partners and STILL be competitors.
    That is no where close the premise of my argument.

09-06-15 06:25 PM
    That is no where close the premise of my argument.
    You're aware that instead of wasting a post like that, you know you could have explained your point instead, right? What you did just leads me to believe you can't prove what I said not to be the case.

(No, I'm not trolling, I'm not a blind follower. When he has a proper point, I am quick to agree, but this time is no such time)
    09-06-15 06:52 PM
    Conthpirathy Theory! Pffffffft !
    The motivation for carriers can be from a number of things, and you can label conjecture conspiracy theory, but the truth about monitoring everything, and i do mean Every-Thing, we do, has a plan that goes right down the rabbit hole and you cant get there without taking the red pill first to keep your brain from swelling up and exploding, and also so that your head can fit into the hole. I may want to pursue this topic in the lounge section after my weekend trip is over, because it requires me to follow up on sources rather than just generalizing some things i heard on a recent radio show. But for THIS thread:

Carriers get money for data collection, in one form or another, try to get them to deny this or try to find your terms of services to have a look, it may be more of their income than the device or subscription sales.

Blackberry gives them less of this data. It is less prone to data overages. It results in fewer phone upgrades at a huge markup, simply because people's phones dont really degrade or degenerate.

I also suspect but cannot prove that the us gov't wants to curtail the brand in the US for their obvious information-control reasons. They may give retailers incentives just like they dictate access to data and making sure it is available.

My hard evidence for now is simply that my carrier told me not to buy a BlackBerry, turned out it was only 3 months after the phones hit the stores (BB10).
    Carriers don't push them because people don't buy them and with those that do they get a lot of returns from what I have read.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-06-15 07:55 PM
    I like your take.
    Makes sense especially when you point out who the competitor is.
    And I never really thought about the different flavors of android that aren't the full one.
    So unless some has a rabbit in a hat and that BlackBerry has absolutely secured Android OS, this really isn't the partnership between Google and BlackBerry we are imagining.
    I am a biased BB10 prosumer and probably that rare user who has everything he needs with BlackBerry.
    So I see no appeal towards Android.
    That's me, one in a billion who doesn't care about the size of the ecosystem or the apps but rather values what BlackBerry has to offer.
    I've needed to be patient with BlackBerry but never been let down.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    09-06-15 08:13 PM

LOL. No. Occam's Razor:

Carriers don't push them because people don't buy them and with those that do they get a lot of returns from what I have read.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-06-15 08:52 PM
    You're aware that instead of wasting a post like that, you know you could have explained your point instead, right? What you did just leads me to believe you can't prove what I said not to be the case.

(No, I'm not trolling, I'm not a blind follower. When he has a proper point, I am quick to agree, but this time is no such time)
    I know. Just because samsung and apple have a side deal doesn't really have anything to do with google and BlackBerry. I guess it sets a precedent for the possibility that google and BlackBerry could make deal, but doesn't mean it's a for sure thing.
    But my main point is BlackBerry isn't Google and the ppl upset, unaware, whatever other reasons, that it isn't, coming on the forum going off on crazy I hate BlackBerry rants because they aren't google, has gotten out of control.

09-06-15 09:11 PM
    To the OP:

I know this will come as a HUGE shock but BlackBerry handsets are now selling at a pathetic 1 million units per quarter (315 million phones were sold in the phone market last year).

BlackBerry isn't going to keep making phones for you and three or four others. There is no future without android apps.

So news flash: BlackBerry needs Google's Dev community to live another day.

Pull your head out of the clouds. Some smart people are trying to save your beloved phones from extinction. Best not to bite the hand that feeds you.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 09:36 PM
    By an Android phone, do you mean a Samsung, LG, Motorola, BLUE...or the countless others out there running an Android kernel with their own modification over top of it?

I am confused...I thought Android was an open source OS and could be installed on almost any hardware and modified in any way possible...just like all the manufacturers mentioned above do...and...I bet BlackBerry does the same thing...

That being said...what "true" Android system should I buy to get the proper experience?

Posted via CB10
    cjameslockwood likes this.
    09-06-15 09:41 PM
    To the OP:

I know this will come as a HUGE shock but BlackBerry handsets are now selling at a pathetic 1 million units per quarter (315 million phones were sold in the phone market last year).

BlackBerry isn't going to keep making phones for you and three or four others. There is no future without android apps.

Pull your head out of the clouds. Some smart people are trying to save your beloved phones from extinction. Best not to bite the hand that feeds you.

Posted via CB10
    I feel like I'm just repeating myself at this point, but I suppose nobody is going to read the whole thread when they just want to say their peace. I'm not in denial of BlackBerry's poor sales. Nobody needs google to do anything. Apple sure as hell didn't need google. You want google, that's all that boils down to. BlackBerry needs marketing, they've needed it for years, but they won't spend the money marketing their phones or buying technology websites to bash their competitors and rave about every stupid new feature in their phone like it's the best damn thing in world. Of course I'm referring to apple if you didn't catch that.

09-06-15 09:43 PM
    To the OP:

Posted via CB10
    Agreed but it was 890,000 last quarter I believe and dropping.
    09-06-15 09:45 PM
75 123