Watches and Cell phones.

I've said it a few times here in the forums but Kickstarter has proven me right:
    These guys went out looking for 100,000 dollars and had over a million in the first day.
    Consumers WANT this kind of product... RIM/Blackberry make a QNX version or throw in with some accessory makers like these guys please!

Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android by Pebble Technology — Kickstarter

iOs and Android compatible watches that connect to the cell via bluetooth.

Blackberry needs to show these guys QNX and the power of BB10, I'd love to see it intergated into
    05-01-12 11:32 AM
    inPulse smartwatch | Get apps and alerts on your wrist

Already one out. And they have a watch for Android.
    05-01-12 11:38 AM
    I personally don't care about 'smart-watches'...if you think your phone screen is too small...get something smaller

RIM could do something with a company like Tissot (or Casio, etc) where they could put the blinking led in the watch...that's all I need, a blinking led I could customize
    Last edited by anthogag; 05-01-12 at 11:55 AM.
    BB10FTW and Cesare21 like this.
    05-01-12 11:48 AM
    Why not just get a motherboard implanted in your head. Forget all of these devices.
    05-01-12 11:52 AM
    I have had the inPulse watch since prior to launch and was involved in the beta testing. Neat concept but I havent used it in quite some time.
    05-01-12 11:56 AM
    inpulse is hardly a pebble
    05-01-12 12:24 PM
    inpulse is hardly a pebble
    Yeah, The Pebble isn't compatible with BlackBerry...LoL
    05-01-12 12:29 PM
    which is why I posted the thread in the first place.

Disparities and gaps like this need to be plugged or the consumer will take their money elsewhere. Where the device connects to everything under their sun. Apple enables great features if you're using JUST their devices. 3rd parties come in and design great accessories FOR Apple, but not the otherway around. I think blackberry needs to spread QNX around in cars, in netbooks, watches, cameras, QNX is so powerful already they need to expand the brand overall and make devices that reach the customer on their level.
    05-01-12 04:45 PM
    That's not quite true. The Pebble is compatible with any Bluetooth phone, so it should be usable for basic phone functions, including Caller ID.

AND, since it's already compatible with Android, one wonders how hard it would be to port that Android app over to BB10...
    05-01-12 05:11 PM
    I can't see this product as being very useful. There have been BlackBerry watch models available in the past, and they haven't interested me, so I can't see this one being any different if it was available for BB10.
    08-26-12 02:53 PM
    I'd be one of the first to get a pebble if the let me trade up one or both of the inpulse watches they conned me into purchasing. It was a great concept and not carried out fully....But I am looking for a comparable alternative to pebble..
    08-26-12 03:13 PM
    I have an inpulse (stil waiting for a fix where it doesn't synce due to the Bridge app!). I will definitely buy a Pebble if it's compatable with my future BB10.
    08-26-12 04:34 PM
    I have to charge my watch every 7 days? Hahahhahahaha!!! I will stay Blackberry and waiting for BB10. Its a little annoying that people think a phone is inferior if toy apps aren't compatible or a watch that needs re charging not made for my phone, do I need to carry a spare battery? I also know people will buy a device with the percieved idea of what is real value becuase of # of apps or trinkets associated with the device. So here is the dilemma of my annoyance
    08-27-12 12:14 AM
    I can see some of the features being great if you ride a motorcycle, you can glance at your wrist to see the missed calls and not worry about where you place your phone on you. Also to be notified of a email you have been waiting for without being tied to the home or office. In a high profile job where its considered to be a bad image to be seen on your phone, you can at least glance to see who called.
    08-27-12 12:33 AM
    I no longer needed a watch when I started carrying a phone with a clock...
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-27-12 12:39 AM
    I made this point on the CB post, but I'll bring it up here, too.

I've been in touch with InPulse, and wouldn't mind seeing a Blackberry client for it. In fact, I traded a few e-mails with their developer relations guy. The one point he brought up that's kind of a killer at the moment is that InPulse (and the same goes for Pebble) communicate via Bluetooth 4.0, and nothing else.

This isn't trivial. BT4 is a major development, with huge power savings over 3.2. A device that small needs all the battery advantages it can get.

Haven't heard if BT4 is coming on BB10 (though I wouldn't be surprised). Anything that extends battery life is good with me.
    08-27-12 12:46 AM
    hmm, my analog watch works just fine. If I needed a smartwatch, the price would have to be low and affordable. If my watch used a 1.5V 1,000 mAh NiMH rechargeable button cell battery AND used a microUSB charger with low current, then I would be ever so happy.
    08-27-12 01:31 AM
    It would be nice to have it, since i usually ride my motorcycle and i don't want to drive with a bluetooth in my ear,when someone calls or text i want to find who.
    But the price has to be affordable.Why can RIM have one?
    08-27-12 09:39 AM
    I no longer needed a watch when I started carrying a phone with a clock...
    That's exactly what I though.
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 08-27-12 at 10:51 AM.
    08-27-12 10:49 AM
    I think it is a pretty neat idea and it should work with any BT4 device, as long as the software is set up to send/receive the right signals. Unfortunately, it looks like (from the website) there will be no SDK for Blackberry devices/OS's so that puts it firmly in hacker territory.

I can see some neat uses for it. Recall that it vibrates, recognizes several axes of motion, and can display information from the phone on the watch face. Sometimes it is rude to pull out your phone.... and sometimes it is rude to look at your watch, too... HAHA. But my watch is always on my wrist and my phone, which is generally set to vibrate, is not always on my person. I can envision some neat uses for it.

I don't think most current Android devices have BT4, either. I haven't read anything about the bluetooth capbilities fo the upcoming BB10 devices.

Now, if the watch was a (I can't type the first name?!) Tracy, two way communications device with a touch screen that would be pretty neat and would free me to carry a phone that is sized to my poor vision, but I doubt that would be a Blackberry (more likely a Galaxy Note or somesuch).

CharlieV
    08-27-12 12:13 PM
    Maybe this will keep people from putting their phone(s) on the table at a bar/restaurant. Electronics, liquids and intoxication is a dangerous mixture...
    08-27-12 04:05 PM
    As screens become higher quality and the methods for creating flexible displays comes into the consumer realm smart watching will be a part of the market.

As a form factor they make sense, but no one has built a solid UI in terms of watch technology because we still tie our thoughts of mobile computing, or mobile consumption with 'smartphones'. These kick-starter watches are a start but imagine the true possibilities when you introduce innovation
    08-28-12 09:58 AM
    bringing an old thread to life...
    so my buddy got a kickstarter version of the pebble watch and he just GAVE it to me for free to see if i can get things working on BB10. If not i can just use it as a watch.. (it was free ; >)

i extracted the apk from google play and converted and signed it.. it loaded just fine and it opens just fine on my z10..

BUT if you are familiar with Android apps they have an accessibility setting to allow for certain apps to access certain data.. you have to enable it for the app to work.. BOOO

it pairs with my z10 just fine... my z10 see the device just fine... and when i click the "enable accessibility settings" it opens the accessibility settings within BB10 setting but thats only for TTY and magnifying the screen etc.

i've been trying to see if i can get permission access to sideloaded apps but nothing...

so for now i will hold on to it.. i read somewhere there is a 3rd party developer working on a pebble app.. but i haven't been able to find the post since...
    03-13-13 02:39 PM
    I'm working on a native Bb10 app now which will do everything the ios app does, notifications, etc...
    05-04-13 06:33 AM
    well, i personally agree with the OP that BBOS10 needs smartwatches, but those dull children around these parts more or less poo-poo'ed the idea:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-want-753741/

http://forums.crackberry.com/develop...lopers-753389/

and remember, this is BB we are talking about, smartwatch vendors aren't going to provide support out the box like they do for android and IOS, it will need user enthusiasm.

p.s. i have a pebble, and it's nice and all, but i think the metawatch's are better made/more high-end.
    05-04-13 11:23 AM
26 12