So i decided to back up my new Z10 recently. After fighting Blackberry Link all the way (took me hours to find a thread that said i had to update to .NET 4.5) it finally recognized my blackberry. Now its bad enough that Link is thoroughly non-intuitive, but the backup system is positively ancient.
    I had recently downloaded the ProductyfCRM app and after a conversation with the developer, they said the best way to backup the data for the app was using Blackberry Link 's application data backup. Now i was initially happy that BB had a way to back up application data, so i was eager to make sure it happened. Thus i went into the customized settings of the backup section of BB Link.
    Now after taking a really long time to load, it showed me that it required 650 megabytes just to backup my application data. This was shocking. So I went into device manager and this is what the screen showed.
    Blackberry needs to fix their Application Data Cache issue-img_20140327_014141.png

Blackberry needs to fix their Application Data Cache issue-img_20140327_014227.png

So i did some searching on the crackberry forums and as concerns the crackberry app, it said that there was an issue clearing the cache. So the best option is the delete and reinstall the app... I did this and now the data consumed is down to 16 mb (after some browsing).
    However, let us actually look at all the Storage useage of all apps on my phone.
    Blackberry needs to fix their Application Data Cache issue-img_20140327_135150.png
    Blackberry needs to fix their Application Data Cache issue-img_20140327_135158.png
    Blackberry needs to fix their Application Data Cache issue-img_20140327_135218.png
    Blackberry needs to fix their Application Data Cache issue-img_20140327_135225.png
    Blackberry needs to fix their Application Data Cache issue-img_20140327_135234.png

There are far more apps, but these contribute about 810 MB of storage. Obviously not all of this is being backed up, So i am assuming that Link does not back up apps like the tutorials, or help.
    However i have no idea what it is actually backing up.
    There is no way that i have 650 MB of application Data on my device. This is obviously the apps taking up the storage space to Cache stuff, and Link is now saving the cache as application data.

Now this could be useful in that if you restore a phone, you wont have to download almost 650 MB of data and your apps will work like they never got deleted, but it makes keeping multiple data backups a chore.
    I used to backup my old blackberry and then email myself a copy of the backup and store one backup on the cloud somewhere. this was because it used to be only a few megabytes.
    Blackberry needs to seperate the app data into 3 types : settings, Cache and Application data. It does not need to store the cache data.

Phew....
    03-27-14 03:43 AM
    A typical backup of my phone is about 1.3GB of data. I only keep one backup on my laptop at a time and move the second to last one to the cloud because of the size. I see what you're saying but this is how the backups go right now.
    03-27-14 05:25 AM