Android is nothing but an advertising platform. I get much more done with my Z30 than any of the Android phones I have and use. Still waiting for Android to have a decent file manager built it.

I am still waiting for iPhone to get Miracast and WiFi direct and a file manager. iOS is even more behind Android for technology.
    01-19-16 10:31 AM
    i think reality is that BB10 didnt make anyone switch from BBOS. based on this chart (see below) we know why they are making the switch to Android, and to top it off, no BB10 devices this year. so I say cut your loses, invest in Android all the way, and give us share holders something to smile about.

Attachment 388223
    You do know that there is no money in making Android devices. Please show us an Android OEM that is making lots of money (if any) on Android devices. I think this shows that you haven't actually been paying attention if you want shareholder value in BlackBerry. I sold all my stock as the plan to make money is going to fail.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-19-16 10:34 AM
    You do know that there is no money in making Android devices. Please show us an Android OEM that is making lots of money (if any) on Android devices. I think this shows that you haven't actually been paying attention if you want shareholder value in BlackBerry. I sold all my stock as the plan to make money is going to fail.
    BlackBerry would be ecstatic about "close to breakeven", as opposed to staggering losses. Having devices helps round out their end to end portfolio and helps other lines of their business - just not at the astonishing losses they have now.
    ikalinin likes this.
    01-19-16 10:45 AM
    But android could help blackberry be popular again, like create a buzz, which could lead to improved bes sales. Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-16 10:46 AM
    BlackBerry would be ecstatic about "close to breakeven", as opposed to staggering losses. Having devices helps round out their end to end portfolio and helps other lines of their business - just not at the astonishing losses they have now.
    Exactly. Well said.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-16 10:47 AM
    So where were the staggering losses in the couple of quarters before the Priv was released. And will you guarantee that the next quarter (first full quarter with the Priv) that BlackBerry will be "close to break even"? Seems like losses are getting bigger, now that they have stepped away from BB10 and not going the way that you think they are.
    schwede likes this.
    01-19-16 10:52 AM
    So where were the staggering losses in the couple of quarters before the Priv was released. And will you guarantee that the next quarter (first full quarter with the Priv) that BlackBerry will be "close to break even"? Seems like losses are getting bigger, now that they have stepped away from BB10 and not going the way that you think they are.
    I have no idea what the future holds. The only thing I DO know, is that BB10 wasn't going to do it. BlackBerry agrees.

In terms of units moved, the breakeven point on Android devices is a third to a half of the breakeven point on BB10.

Having to sell a lot less of a product that appeals to a lot more people sounds like a workable combination to me.
    Last edited by conite; 01-19-16 at 11:06 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-19-16 10:56 AM
    when bb10 is done ill be done with bb all together i will not support their android devices or any other android device for that matter. i do not think bb will be in the android game for too long theres just to much better competition out threre for them to survive in a market thats flooded with androids.
    01-19-16 11:17 AM
    conite hits the nail on the head.

Blackberry is vulnerable as a brand. Even is BB sold a ton of units of the Priv, their initial costs are high that they will have to spread out per device sold. The Priv is yet to be released on TMO, Verizon, Sprint, Etc. we have to wait and see how it goes. but its up to BlackBerry to keep perfecting the Priv, and releasing more like it to start being recognized as a brand again.
    01-19-16 11:23 AM
    Why would I want BlackBerry to survive selling only Android device? I want to survive selling BlackBerry 10 devices because I prefer BlackBerry 10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-16 12:04 PM
    I have no idea what the future holds. The only thing I DO know, is that BB10 wasn't going to do it. BlackBerry agrees.

In terms of units moved, the breakeven point on Android devices is a third to a half of the breakeven point on BB10.

Having to sell a lot less of a product that appeals to a lot more people sounds like a workable combination to me.
    I see you are taking Chen's talking points as absolute truth. I don't. And since other Android OEMs can't make money selling Android devices, what makes you think that BlackBerry can at higher purchase prices. People don't buy products that have almost the exact same feature with a higher price, they pick the cheaper product and a PKB isn't going to be a huge seller.
    01-19-16 01:16 PM
    I see you are taking Chen's talking points as absolute truth. I don't. And since other Android OEMs can't make money selling Android devices, what makes you think that BlackBerry can at higher purchase prices. People don't buy products that have almost the exact same feature with a higher price, they pick the cheaper product and a PKB isn't going to be a huge seller.
    As I said, the Android experiment may well prove fruitless. I don't know. But BB10 CERTAINLY is.

I also said that they only need to get close to breakeven to make it worth their while to stay in the device business, and it's infinitely cheaper to not have to build and maintain your own OS.
    Last edited by conite; 01-19-16 at 01:46 PM.
    01-19-16 01:34 PM
    I did just ended reading this forum since find for an increasing message like this one.
    Ok BlackBerry it's a niche, fine and so? You are just repeating as a mantra it's slowing down...where exactly?
    Using my Z10 since more than a year and apart the fist 10.3.2 release I'm happy with it.
    You did need some tricky special Android app? Go for Android phone! I'm just bored to learn how BlackBerry will die wen reading in another forum that anyone is complaining android for fake apps stealing data, sluggish phones and bad interface, or reading that finally WP10 will bring the possibility to natively support mail attachment... As for iOS every single new version is introducing features 90% didn't use and slowing down old devices making them unusable.
    So where is the problem with BlackBerry??

Posted via CB10
    schwede likes this.
    01-19-16 01:39 PM
    So where is the problem with BlackBerry??

Posted via CB10
    No one is buying them.
    kirson and JeepBB like this.
    01-19-16 01:47 PM
    is there a scenario where BB10 becomes relevant in the future? maybe, its indeed a great OS but unless ALL apps have web access for its use, i doubt. That will mean eliminating the competitive advantage that google and ios has. Microsoft has money to burn and embarked in the quest to have cross OS platform for apps, that didnt work either.
    Ive gotten myself a used android device as my first taste of android and my z30 as backup. Yes bb10 is better experience. but the apps i need run better and are updated more often with my lollipop 5.1.1 device. the display on this old sony xperia z1 is amazing too lol
    01-19-16 02:28 PM
    No one is buying them.
    This is not exact: some, meaning millions, are buying it. If will position and size itself as a target for some milions of happy customers I will be part of it, with a focus on productivity.
    Leaving the others 95% dealing with security problems and nice apps that will be forgotten after one year or used by the 0.1% of the total.

Posted via CB10
    schwede and muellerto like this.
    01-19-16 02:39 PM
    part of the problem with bb is that their phones are just too damn overpriced regular folk arent going to dish out that kind of money for a "niche" device they made the same mistake with bb10 making it an overpriced "niche" that they didnt want for it to appeal to everyone.
    01-19-16 02:39 PM
    This is not exact: some, meaning millions, are buying it. If will position and size itself as a target for some milions of happy customers I will be part of it, with a focus on productivity.
    Leaving the others 95% dealing with security problems and nice apps that will be forgotten after one year or used by the 0.1% of the total.

Posted via CB10
    According to BlackBerry, they have about 10 million active BB10 devices in service as of last summer.

Considering many people have moved on and still keep their old BlackBerry device active, but not primary, and considering many have multiple devices (I have 5), the actual number of unique users, using BB10 as a primary device is probably about half that number - so maybe 5+ million. That number is on a downward trend.

They are on track to sell only 1 to 2 million BB10 devices this year, and that number is on a downward spiral.

According to BlackBerry, in order to make BB10 viable, they need an active user base of 20 million, buying new devices every two years.

Please don't say silly things about apps. We already know that there are a ton of essential business tools that are only available on Android or iOS. Maybe you don't need them, but many/most do.

All this said, if BB10 works for you, as is, then awesome! Keep using it. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. It is a very capable messaging platform.
    Last edited by conite; 01-19-16 at 03:25 PM.
    01-19-16 03:03 PM
    According to BlackBerry, they have about 10 million active BB10 devices in service as of last summer.

Please don't say silly things about apps. We already know that there are a ton of essential business tools that are only available on Android or iOS. Maybe you don't need them, but many/most do.

All this said, if BB10 works for you, as is, then awesome! Keep using it. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. It is a very capable messaging platform.
    oouch!!!!! lol
    bbnrs likes this.
    01-19-16 03:34 PM
    oouch!!!!! lol
    Messaging is no small matter. Many find it the single most important smartphone function.
    01-19-16 03:37 PM
    Indeed.
    01-19-16 03:45 PM
    I really hope BlackBerry 10 will stay and get updates and also new devices - these are just the most cool phones on all market - they should get a whole combo of Q10, Classic and Passport out next... !!!

... a delusionist perhaps... but sure not a troll

Posted via CB10
    schwede and to boldly go like this.
    01-19-16 03:47 PM
    Leaving the others 95%
    Try 99.7%. And that's only one part of what's factually wrong with this post.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-19-16 04:00 PM
    ohh dear how many more "dump OS10 in favour for Android" threads are there made up, all turning around the very same question again and again....

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    01-19-16 04:06 PM
    ohh dear how many more "dump OS10 in favour for Android" threads are there made up, all turning around the very same question again and again....

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    chickentender likes this.
    01-19-16 04:12 PM
164 1234 ...