I love sliders and full keyboards and even flip phones. I'd love to see BlackBerry come out with all kinds of niche devices. The problem is that from what I've seen recently, BlackBerry is thinking that the only way to sell devices and the OS is to go the Android route so unless Android/Google or someone else comes out with a slider that is a hit, I don't think BlackBerry will. They are definitely a company that is going into follow-the-leader mode so they don't get trampled by the masses and I don't think they will be willing to take any chances with sliders or anything innovative in the near future.
    11-12-13 07:21 PM
    We need a flip berry. Remember the Style? Give me one with BB10 it'll be a hit!
    11-12-13 08:08 PM
    Would you really want to run a very high density display, BB10, LTE, AND a full Android runtime with Android apps on a 1400mAh battery?
    I was fine with my Pre3 for almost 2 full years, I am usually around power during my work day and as long as I can have backup batteries, I would be fine. I have carried backup batteries and chargers for years when knowing I will be away from power, day long of baseball game and travel on Amtrak for example, checking into FB, Foursquare, Untapped, etc. LTE data, I have learned to live the life over the years, this is why I don't like going with non replaceable battery devices. My buddy at work has a battery case for his iPhone and is always plugged in, even though he sits at a desk most of his day just like me.
    11-12-13 09:00 PM
    A big screen is desirable, but for me, a slider negates some of the advantages that make a Q10 or Bold 9900 so ridiculously efficient and "crackworthy", if you know what I mean.

I haven't used the Torch, so take this with a grain of salt. All the android slider devices that I tried had godawful balance and badly designed landscape physical keyboards. Landscape sliders are inefficient because the thumb must travel more. Portrait sliders are unwieldy because the balance usually suffers.

The question is: what are you willing to give up for the benefits of a larger screen: Speed? Weight balance? Physical robustness? At that point, would you prefer a roomy touchscreen keyboard instead?

Verizon Q10 with 10.2 :-)
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    11-12-13 09:15 PM
    If it looks anything like this i'll take 2
    Sliders in general are not very popular these days. This concept blade design looks gorgeous, but I doubt it will ever be built because it ptobably won't be that practical/functional. Just imagine all that mass on the upper part when trying to hold the bottom part while typing. Also, I doubt they can fit any decent battey size into it if they want to keep it so thin. So, if BlackBerry starts to build a slider, it would make one that is more functional, but due to its size or shape (will not look anything like the picture) it will probably have a more traditional design which may not appeal to masses. Of course, unless they can make something that is so unique, practical and gorgeous that it wows everybody!

Posted via Z10
    11-12-13 09:35 PM
    I've owned two sliders and both saw the screen stop working....too many moving parts. so I'm a pass on this one :P

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Too complex, just asking for production issues/short life-span. Candybar is the only keyboard formfactor I'd be interested, besides a flip phone.

Blackberry should produce a flip phone.
    11-12-13 10:05 PM
    I agree. Too complex, just asking for production issues/short life-span. Candybar is the only keyboard formfactor I'd be interested, besides a flip phone.

Blackberry should produce a flip phone.
    Style with BB10!

No but seriously, the early 2000s have passed. Give it up.

No landscape sliders. No portrait sliders.
    Moving parts = liability.

Q10 with a large, rectangular screen please.

..or give touch screens access to keyboard shortcuts available to QWERTY devices

I love my Z10 but the fact that keyboard shortcuts don't work is sort of dumb. Why be able to bring up the keyboard if it does nothing half the time?
    11-13-13 12:56 AM
    I would rather have BlackBerry make z50 over a slider to be honest. Something over the top of z30.

QWERTY Keyboard is amazing but I think they should pursue with their virtual keyboard. I'm in absolute love with it. I can't go back to q10 anymore...

I do miss the shortcuts on the keyboard though, esp the T and B while surfing the net, or quick dialing with the keyboard.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    11-13-13 01:07 AM
    I have everything BlackBerry made with a keyboard and this bb10 works best with touch screen only and having 10 devices is what BlackBerry doesn't need right now.

I flick! Do you?
    11-13-13 01:48 AM
    The apps are designed for wider screens but all android apk convert there resolution to what it's installed to

Posted from my awesome Z30 on O2 UK with 10.2.0.224
    11-13-13 02:17 AM
    Sliders are meant for eating not communicating.

Best done on the BBQ :-)

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-13-13 06:29 AM
    For sure a slider is going to save them. Every slider they ever produced sold in low numbers.

As for bringing the trackpad back let it die already. Move into this century
    Regardless of how you feel about the track pad, it is pretty handy and makes text selection and manipulation much easier. Nothing wrong with it complementing the touch screen experience. The only reason why it is not used is production costs. It really does not have much to do with "last century"

Q10 should have had it, and it should have had a larger screen.

Posted via CB10
    xmasberry likes this.
    11-13-13 10:30 AM
    Regardless of how you feel about the track pad, it is pretty handy and makes text selection and manipulation much easier. Nothing wrong with it complementing the touch screen experience. The only reason why it is not used is production costs. It really does not have much to do with "last century"

Posted via CB10
    Most reasonable summation of the trackpad's place in the mobile world I've yet read. You could sway the hearts and minds of the people, sir.
    11-13-13 12:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    And then people would be complaining that the device is too big or the keyboard is too small. I can somewhat see the debate about the call and end buttons in that you already have a physical keyboard so at least giving the option for 'any key answer' on your phone and/or activating enter as an option to dial a number once entered into the dialer (assuming that this isn't already the case) would't add any more buttons. You are using a touch device with a gesture based UI so is it not logical to assume that it would be gestures or a 'button' on the screen that you press to start/end a call? As for the track pad, yes, there is an argument that it can be more precise for editing text and the like but as someone who has had issues with every single track pad on every single BB I've ever owned, I cannot wait to upgrade my device and be done with this infernal trackpad. I would far rather have a click wheel over the trackpad... I've never known anyone who's click wheel randomly scrolled all the way to the top and/or bottom of a page/screen without the slightest provocation nor had an issue of trying to select soemthing and the curser starts jumping around and scrolling randomly on its own. The trackpad is a fair bit like a slider.. when it works well it's nice, when it doesn't work well it is far more of a liability than an asset.
    11-13-13 12:03 PM
    Most reasonable summation of the trackpad's place in the mobile world I've yet read. You could sway the hearts and minds of the people, sir.
    There is a software based trackpad that you can download (there are several threads about it lurking around somewhere) so you can opt to have the functionality of it on your device without permanently sacrificing screen realestate.
    11-13-13 12:08 PM
    NO slider phone please. One PlayBook fiasco is more than enough. Slider phones are of the past. With phones getting thinner by the year, it might be possible to create a case with a keyboard and battery and bluetooth included. Who knows, but no slider, that's asking for more issues than any mobile phone producer can handle.

Have a nice day
    11-13-13 12:22 PM
    uh, i'd have one but if not will be leaving BB for an android phone, perhaps a samsung?
    11-25-13 12:29 PM
    how did the Torch sell? I have only seen one since it launched. I am curious how it did in the market.
    11-25-13 12:54 PM
    Its hilarious to me all the nay-sayers appealing to blackberry's previous sales. The 9800 and 9810 sold way... way more than the full touch screen devices. Storm anyone? In fact they may have even sold more than the Z10.

If you really want to go by past sales... Blackberry should be making sliders and dropping the full touch devices.

Plenty of companies are making sliders. Its a niche but there is nothing wrong being a niche company.
    11-25-13 04:07 PM
    how did the Torch sell? I have only seen one since it launched. I am curious how it did in the market.
    The 9800 and 9810 to a lesser extent, sold very well over here.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055 O2 UK
    11-25-13 04:13 PM
    You should get over it. There is no way in this financial situation BBRY is going to write off another zillions of $$$. Because a slider phone would be just that.
    11-25-13 05:08 PM
    You should get over it. There is no way in this financial situation BBRY is going to write off another zillions of $$$. Because a slider phone would be just that.
    Oh yes, that's right, the Z30 is selling soooo well. Why on earth would they want to produce a handset that's different from all the others on the market?

11-26-13 12:58 AM
    Oh yes, that's right, the Z30 is selling soooo well. Why on earth would they want to produce a handset that's different from all the others on the market?

BlackBerry needs to look at what samsung is doing with the galaxy series and the note line of phones.

sent from my galaxy note 3
    11-26-13 01:02 AM
    I miss my 9810. Would get a BlackBerry 10 slider. The only reason I have a z10 is because there are no portrait sliders with BlackBerry quality keyboards.

BlackBerry is insane for not making the slider the flagship device.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 01:18 AM
    I think they need a slider to get back in the game. They will not win the all touch form factor or even put a dent in it. A slider may sway old blackberry users back to blackberry if they put out a great product and people will be interested in checking this phone out, as opposed to just another all touch black slab with round corners plain phone. If people saw one, they would be curious as to what it was instead of trying to join the crowd of all touch phones. I, along with several others, would buy one in a heart beat(and I own a Z and a Q and swap SIM's between them both because I can't decide which one I like better), the slider would be the best of both worlds! Sign me up!!!
    11-26-13 10:16 AM
83 1234