12-10-14 01:25 AM
65 123
tools
    Was out driving along the hwy last night using BlackBerry Maps. The app correctly identified traffic congestion and an upcoming slowdown, and subsequently identified the cause as a collision.

BlackBerry Maps was very accurate - identifying the collision location exactly as we passed the site.

This occurred outside of Toronto. Maybe the app is less accurate or information regarding an incident is not available in all locations.

Posted via CBten with the Zthirty.
    11-16-14 07:55 AM
    BlackBerry Maps are great for driving directions. If they will add the public transit and walking directions I will not use google maps any more. Maybe just for street view.

Visit my BBM Channel - C000E96F6
    der_mit and Korepab like this.
    11-16-14 07:59 AM
    It is really the very best of all the available phone OS'.

It's not for those who want a photograph map detailing where all the sewer covers are and how long it will take to walk between them, it is for drivers who need to get info very fast and very accurate and using a simple yet very effective map image, guide you effortlessly to the location.

Get this, on my Passport, I just touch the voice assistant icon then say "search maps for burger king", then the choices all come up and you say "the first one", then it goes immediately to maps then GPS and your off to the races.

Just freakin incredible.
    11-16-14 08:07 AM
    Yep, BlackBerry maps works great for me too.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 09:00 AM
    Very lucky those who have their BlackBerry map working properly, in my case, I don't see the great day that I will be able to have maps. I don't understand why such an important app is absolutely OFF

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 11:11 AM
    It is actually extremely good for driving directions. Trouble is, that's all. In this little known, minor, unheard of city called London, it can't even show the nearest tube station to an address. It is essentially useless.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 11:18 AM
    Useless without public transit

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    11-16-14 01:23 PM
    Sounds great. Pity there's no traffic information in Brisbane, Australia.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 03:03 PM
    +1 to place this above the other negative thread. BlackBerry maps has served me well and when it falls short, I just point my super fast browser to maps.google.ca.

No need to whine
    Thanks BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-16-14 07:15 PM
    Yes I have great experience with maps on Passport also especially from traffic perspective here in Atlanta.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 08:17 PM
    It is actually extremely good for driving directions. Trouble is, that's all. In this little known, minor, unheard of city called London, it can't even show the nearest tube station to an address. It is essentially useless.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly.

It's great giving directions if you have the physical address. But it's worthless if you have to search for anything by name.

Just one of many many examples... searching for Hilton hotel in Amsterdam... it kept giving me addresses in Syria. Now if I'm driving in the Netherlands, why in the h377 would I be looking for hotels in Syria. That kinda thing happens more often than not.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 09:03 PM
    Was out driving along the hwy last night using BlackBerry Maps. The app correctly identified traffic congestion and an upcoming slowdown, and subsequently identified the cause as a collision.

BlackBerry Maps was very accurate - identifying the collision location exactly as we passed the site.

This occurred outside of Toronto. Maybe the app is less accurate or information regarding an incident is not available in all locations.

Incident reporting is worthless in most of the US and western Europe. While directions are great, I now completely ignore the incident reporting.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 09:06 PM
    Maps actually lack proper POI database.
    JTon likes this.
    11-16-14 09:44 PM
    One thing I like about Google Maps (here in the US at least), is how it overlays dynamically recalculated ETA onto possible alternate streets as you drive (i.e. How much/less longer it would take if you turn left/right t the next intersection).

Either way, I can say it enough how excellent the Passport screen is for turn by turn guidance and map display!

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 10:24 PM
    It's great giving directions if you have the physical address. But it's worthless if you have to search for anything by name.

Just one of many many examples... searching for Hilton hotel in Amsterdam... it kept giving me addresses in Syria. Now if I'm driving in the Netherlands, why in the h377 would I be looking for hotels in Syria.
    I call B S:

BlackBerry Maps is Terrific-img_20141117_064300.png

Posted via CB10
    der_mit likes this.
    11-17-14 07:44 AM
    I call B S:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141117_064300.png 
Views:	1099 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	315027

Posted via CB10
    We're you IN Amsterdam when you did that?

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 11:44 AM
    @crackberry_geek

Have you got location ON and given maps full access to you location,

That's how mine is set up so all the searches start with the closest first.

BlackBerry Maps is Terrific-img_20141117_191335.png

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-17-14 01:14 PM
    We're you IN Amsterdam when you did that?
    I have used BlackBerry Maps in Amsterdam several times over the last year and a half. It works beautifully.

Check out Dermit's tips above. It should work for you. Let us know how you make out after you check what Dermit has suggested. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    der_mit likes this.
    11-17-14 02:04 PM
    I have countless wonderful experience with BlackBerry Maps. I don't even know where to start.

Offline maps Mireo doesn't start on my Passport. Does any body have the same problem?

Update 11/18/2014: Mireo works okay now.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    Last edited by imcurved; 11-19-14 at 04:53 PM.
    11-17-14 02:17 PM
    I've had excellent experience with BlackBerry Maps, as well.

Here's one example:

I was in San Diego visiting family this past week. After an evening at the beach, we were heading home. Our group was in two separate cars with me driving one of them. I had BlackBerry Maps running on my Z10. It told us to take a route that seemed out of the way and added some miles to the trip, but I knew that it was accounting for traffic congestion, so I followed it.

We arrived home 10 minutes before the other vehicle.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-17-14 02:30 PM
    Yes, mine is set up the same way... and searches never result for me as you're showing.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 04:01 PM
    Has never been great for me though it was miles better on OS 7.1. Really wish HERE maps would work on Bb10. Now that's a map!!
    11-17-14 04:11 PM
    There is NO way BlackBerry maps on OS7 was better than what we have now. Sorry but that is just not true.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-17-14 06:00 PM
    Yes, mine is set up the same way... and searches never result for me as you're showing.
    I just remember walking around Amsterdam and being amazed at how good the map was on BB Maps. And very useful for finding your way around those canals and narrow streets. The POI's worked fine like I showed above.

Here's my suggestion: delete the app and download it again from BlackBerry World. That should fix it.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 06:36 PM
    Yes. I agree. I like how BlackBerry Maps takes into account traffic conditions.

11-17-14 07:08 PM
65 123