BlackBerry Maps need following functions :

1. Time zone grid
    2. Latitude & longitude grid
    3. Distance calculator between 2 points of interest (as the crow flies)

Do it quick.

 Curve 8520 ~> skipped OS6 ~> skipped OS7 ~>  Z3 (Airtel / STJ100-1 / 10.3.2.2639)
    Last edited by mas_quemex; 10-15-15 at 12:38 AM.
    10-14-15 06:09 AM
    I think it also need to allow users to contribute to the maps too. There are new roads & new ways to get to destinations that are not known by the maps. So if we can also contribute to the maps it will continually become better.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer and tryfe like this.
    10-14-15 06:32 AM
    I think it also need to allow users to contribute to the maps too. There are new roads & new ways to get to destinations that are not known by the maps. So if we can also contribute to the maps it will continually become better.

Posted via CB10
    Or, they just need a better vendor than TomTom and interface.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 06:41 AM
    Don't think realistically BlackBerry will put any resources into BlackBerry Map. The last update was a long time ago I think.

The app was devised when launching BB10 with perceived fear that Google may restrict access to its map service by other than Android. Remember even Apple came up with its own map service about the same time?

Now that BlackBerry is diving into Android big time and partnering with Google, there is really no reason to spend money on BlackBerry Map....not in BlackBerry's financial state.

It means we BB10 users will suffer....part of pain in using a not-actively-developed platform.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-14-15 08:37 PM
    I think it's hard for anyone to compete with Google any more in maps. You need huge scale to do well in maps, and Google is the only one with billions of people around the world using their maps every week.
    10-14-15 08:45 PM
    I think it's hard for anyone to compete with Google any more in maps. You need huge scale to do well in maps, and Google is the only one with billions of people around the world using their maps every week.
    Yeah, when you have cars on the ground with cameras driving around, it is tough to beat!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 08:51 PM
    Google Maps has become the de facto standard for mobile mapping today. With the Priv being able to access a fully functional Google Maps app, BlackBerry has absolutely no reason to put any resources behind its own Maps app.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    10-14-15 10:42 PM
    I want updated BlackBerry Maps with more features. Blackberry wants annual revenue. If they offered a subscription rate, say $12/yr (I just made that up...and honestly, I'd pay more if the updates were regular and added awesome features) then I think it would be a win/win for everyone. It would be just like how they monetized BBM with sticker packs and other features but only with BB Maps.

You wouldn't HAVE to subscribe and pay because you'd get the watered down version that you get now by default. But the new version could have access to features like transit maps, better traffic, user contributed maps and updates, etc but for an additional price. It would be like an extended version. MUCH better TURN BY TURN navigation would be handy just like the old BB OS 7 Traffic App (it really was incredibly powerful and I miss it badly - in fact I'd pay a subscription for that app just by itself to run on BB 10).

Anyhow, I'd pay more to get the features I really want. I realize they don't come for free. But to abandon your apps without really leveraging them financially is just BlackBerry being, uh...BLACKBERRY (inferring serious stupidity and gross mismanagement).
    10-15-15 12:04 AM
    Why BlackBerry 10 map not support traffic information?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 12:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not like the extensive BB 7 Traffic App. It's too much work to go swap my sim out and boot up my 9810 to screen capture all the various information screens the old app had/has to explain my point. Though BB 10 Maps has traffic information, it's not like the old app which was killed off by BlackBerry earlier this year by the way. See http://crackberry.com/blackberry-tra...red-march-27th
    10-15-15 12:22 AM
    I was told the old Traffic app was wickedly good but I never got the chance to try it out as it is not available in my region.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 01:33 AM
    With all the companies they are acquiring perhaps they can find a mapping company to add to their collection so that BB10 can live long and prosper.
    No wonder BB10 is struggling when they fail to support it.

Posted via CB10
    mas_quemex likes this.
    10-15-15 05:14 AM
    With all the companies they are acquiring perhaps they can find a mapping company to add to their collection so that BB10 can live long and prosper.
    No wonder BB10 is struggling when they fail to support it.

Posted via CB10
    What's the point if they're putting BB10 on the backburner anyway?

A decent map app is not enough to reverse eight years of bad business decisions and burnt bridges.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 05:16 AM
    I want updated BlackBerry Maps with more features. Blackberry wants annual revenue. If they offered a subscription rate, say $12/yr (I just made that up...and honestly, I'd pay more if the updates were regular and added awesome features) then I think it would be a win/win for everyone. It would be just like how they monetized BBM with sticker packs and other features but only with BB Maps.

You wouldn't HAVE to subscribe and pay because you'd get the watered down version that you get now by default. But the new version could have access to features like transit maps, better traffic, user contributed maps and updates, etc but for an additional price. It would be like an extended version. MUCH better TURN BY TURN navigation would be handy just like the old BB OS 7 Traffic App (it really was incredibly powerful and I miss it badly - in fact I'd pay a subscription for that app just by itself to run on BB 10).

Anyhow, I'd pay more to get the features I really want. I realize they don't come for free. But to abandon your apps without really leveraging them financially is just BlackBerry being, uh...BLACKBERRY (inferring serious stupidity and gross mismanagement).
    Aren't many of these features free on other platforms? I don't want to have to pay for stuff other people don't have to just to keep my phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 05:35 AM
    What's the point if they're putting BB10 on the backburner anyway?

A decent map app is not enough to reverse eight years of bad business decisions and burnt bridges.

Posted via CB10
    I guess my point is that they've been trying to gain ground with BB10 for a long time now and have in the meantime been making acquisitions linked to security, yet none of which were to better crucial parts of the OS like Maps or Dev support which all other OS give due attention. Just seems like this is evidence that since JC has taken the reins he may have had the path we see now already established but not revealed and may be mislead us as to his intentions and direction from the beginning.

Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 06:06 AM
    I guess my point is that they've been trying to gain ground with BB10 for a long time now and have in the meantime been making acquisitions linked to security, yet none of which were to better crucial parts of the OS like Maps or Dev support which all other OS give due attention. Just seems like this is evidence that since JC has taken the reins he may have had the path we see now already established but not revealed and may be mislead us as to his intentions and direction from the beginning.

Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    They probably just farmed it out to the lowest bidder. What service does Apple use?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 06:35 AM
    They probably just farmed it out to the lowest bidder. What service does Apple use?

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if they purchased a company to grow the apple maps but I do see that they gathered at the time old data from TomTom and Google maps to subsidize their app data then built from there using users data and obviously that did not fair well at first. My wife is a loyal apple fan and she still prefers Google Maps. Microsoft is bringing out Bing Maps from what I heard but it may be just a relabeled Nokia Maps, we will have to wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 06:48 AM
    Not sure if they purchased a company to grow the apple maps but I do see that they gathered at the time old data from TomTom and Google maps to subsidize their app data then built from there using users data and obviously that did not fair well at first. My wife is a loyal apple fan and she still prefers Google Maps. Microsoft is bringing out Bing Maps from what I heard but it may be just a relabeled Nokia Maps, we will have to wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    As far as GPS devices, Tom Tom does get rated high. So perhaps the app is the issue or what data they agreed to provide.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 06:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    It does support traffic information. It is under settings, use traffic enhanced routing.

There are also audio and visual warnings of traffic slowdowns or accidents.

These options may not be available in all countries.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 07:20 AM
    Google Maps has become the de facto standard for mobile mapping today. With the Priv being able to access a fully functional Google Maps app, BlackBerry has absolutely no reason to put any resources behind its own Maps app.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    BlackBerry 10 also can use fully Google Maps

___BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    10-15-15 07:56 AM
    BlackBerry 10 also can use fully Google Maps

___BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    Absolutely, I use it on my Passport all the time. Smokes BB Maps.
    10-15-15 02:18 PM
    First of all BlackBerry maps needs a major update.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.3.2.2789
    10-15-15 02:36 PM
    What Blackberry Maps needs is the Recycle Bin.

Posted via CB10 on the Blackberry Q5.
    10-15-15 03:56 PM
    Maybe privacy. I don't like Google and i don't want Google to look over my shoulder where ever i go.
    I don't want Google to create an userprofile of me and follow my tracks.
    10-15-15 04:55 PM
    Maybe privacy. I don't like Google and i don't want Google to look over my shoulder where ever i go.
    I don't want Google to create an userprofile of me and follow my tracks.
    While this maybe a good thing, companies have to cater to the majority. Most people honestly don't care if Google is tracking where they go eat pizza or take a vacation to. They like a feature-packed Maps app and Google gives that to them.

Your one voice crying in the wilderness is insufficient incentive for Blackberry to move on a Maps update. Sorry, friend.
    10-15-15 05:45 PM
42 12