View Poll Results: Do you want to see all of the mentioned features added to the next update of BB Maps?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES and don't make us wait too long!

6 100.00%
  • No, I give up waiting and will buy a different phone

0 0%
    I want to point out that I'm criticizing not to be mean but to make BlackBerry Apps better. In today's highly competitive smartphone market BlackBerry needs not just to be on par with iPhone and Android OS but better, offer features people didn't know they needed but then can't live without.
    It's all the small details that make a big difference to choose BlackBerry or not. And that's what you'll find below. To be fair BlackBerry Maps do have features that are superior to those on Google Maps or Waze app: pleasant appearance, ease of use, color theme, arrows showing oneway streets when zoomed in and my favorite - voice guidance the quality of which is AMAZING!
    If BlackBerry needs a real-life person with brains for testing their products before rolling out, I'm ready for it.
    Keep moving!

BlackBerry Maps: Missing Features Requests, Bugs. BlackBerry Management Listen!-google-blackberry-maps.jpg

Maps Missing features + things to improve

1. Readability issue: App needs thicker, juicier colors for traffic visibility (green, yellow, red) on every scale level not just when zoomed in - we need to quickly see the big picture and also be able to distinguish which direction of the highway is in traffic without zooming in on every area of the way - that's dangerous behind the wheel. Look at the screenshots I'm attaching to compare it to Google maps and see how it's supposed to be.
    2. Add more streets to Show traffic feature when zoomed in on local level, right now it's only a handful and losing to Google maps again. The same goes to HIGHWAY RAMPS ON EXITS and ENTRANCES, right now no traffic provided for these critical areas.
    3. Add 1 more color for standstill traffic (for example Google maps has black-red-black for it).
    4. Make traffic data more accurate! Get more traffic providers that do it in REAL TIME.
    5. Add these crucial modes to the maps (walk, public transit, bicycle, satellite, terrain, panoramic street view). People live outside their cars you know.
    6. App needs + and - buttons for zooming for 1 hand operation in addition to pinch-zoom.
    7. Make night mode available not only to navigation but to regular map view also. It will save battery.
    8. Maps should have EXIT NUMBERS marked on highways.
    9. Add "Download for offline usage" option to download and store chosen portions of the certain map on SD card or internal memory. You will get a lot of new customers who love outdoor activities or traveling abroad to save on super expensive roaming charges. This will also allow us to put the phone into Airplane mode to save the battery.
    10. Ability to share location and directions via text, email, etc., even legacy BlackBerries had that!

Navigation Bugs, Errors and Missing features

1. Update route menu option is grayed out - currently not working.
    2. Make exit numbers stand out: Letters on top where exit numbers are written are too small and grey.
    3. Add lane guidance on screen and with voice (similar to Mireo Don't Panic Navigation App from BlackBerry World).
    4. If Maps app is accidentally closed before reaching the destination remember that route and offer to continue when launched next time (like Waze navigation app does).
    5. Suggest to keep right with voice when the carpool lane is on the left side of the road and you chose to avoid carpool lanes in the settings.
    6. Add preview individual turns feature when you press on them from the directions list.
    7. Add detour option to menu with ability to detour next turn, next 2 turns, etc. OR to detour next 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 5, 10, etc. miles.
    8. Offer 2-3 alternative routes before starting navigation.
    9. Add voice prompts to keep left or right when approaching point where highway is splitting into two or three.
    10. Add actual time of arrival to information bar instead of just traveling time, they can rotate to save space on screen: show 2 seconds one, 2 seconds the other.
    11. We need to be able to add MULTIPLE VIA POINTS to the route before starting navigation as well as to an active route while navigating. This is a VERY IMPORTANT feature.
    12. When reaching the destination, BlackBerry Maps always says and shows "Your destination is STRAIGHT ahead". Even the old Garmin XT app on my ancient Windows phone says the destination is on either LEFT or RIGHT. Very helpful when driving in unfamiliar areas. Please add this simple feature.

Error that I found when traveling south from route 28 and merging with highway i-93 South in Boston metro area. The navigation told and showed wrong i-95 instead of i-93 which is totally different highway here [as of 9/6/2013 this error is still present] Please fix this and look for similar errors, there might be more.

============
    P.S. Fellow BlackBerry users, tweet the link to this post to BlackBerry, copy and paste it on their Facebook page, repost on forums, email it to get this message through to BlackBerry Top management. Originally posted by V. Baranouski
    Last edited by Vito B; 09-06-13 at 10:19 AM. Reason: 9/6/2013 I have added new improvement ideas, so read the original post again please and give me your thoughts
    ibpluto and SoCalRedbird like this.
    07-28-13 03:16 PM
    I'm in the same area as you and experience some of these issues. One thing I grt aggravated with is the apps malfunction after I try and disable voice assistance. And I have frequent crashes where I go to see the next turn only to find out the app closes on me. A bit buggy for me

@chrisjaam
    Vito B likes this.
    07-28-13 03:25 PM
    Based on my needs and usage as car-navigation I'm absolutely pleased with the current BB Maps and the map material for Austria. I avoided to use BB maps for a long time only because it seemed like everyone on the Internet hated it. Finally I found out, that in my case this app is a perfect match and offers everything a car navigation app needs to offer in my opinion.
    Many of the things listed in OP's posts are not essential and important for me and most of them I didn't even notice missing so far.
    Also some points listed by the OP aren't even valid afaik. For example:
    • Offer 2-3 alternative routes before starting navigation
      I believe there is the possibility to switch to alternative routes before confirming navigation start
    • App needs + and - buttons for zooming for 1 hand operation.
      Don't you have more than one finger on one hand? Just zoom using two fingers like you do in the webbrowser.
    • Ability to share location and directions
      Do we really need social crap everywhere? Just post via Facebook where you currently are, if it is essential for you to keep your friends and the NSA informed. Or if others need to come to you, tell them the address so they can enter it into their own navi apps.

For my use BB Maps is just perfect.
    Last edited by gueste; 07-31-13 at 05:15 AM.
    David in Durham likes this.
    07-29-13 08:48 AM
    Please give us the ability to enter an absolute address ( 44.2345, -80.4455) like in google maps
    07-29-13 09:30 AM
    Well, using it in Singapore BlackBerry maps have proved to me to be faster to load easier to see than loading Google maps on iPhone. I don't use much of the advanced features but in general I must sa nowadays I prefer it over the Google maps even if those contain more information.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:33 AM
    I'm using Tmobile Z10 BlackBerry OS 10.1.0.2006 and BlackBerry couldn't retrieve the address of a contact (it found the contact okay) from the phone Contacts list and therefore couldn't formulate the route. To work around this, I have to enter the address manually.
    Is anybody experiencing the same thing? Thanks.

Post via CB Z10
    07-29-13 09:54 AM
    I'm using Tmobile Z10 BlackBerry OS 10.1.0.2006 and BlackBerry couldn't retrieve the address of a contact (it found the contact okay) from the phone Contacts list and therefore couldn't formulate the route. To work around this, I have to enter the address manually.
    Is anybody experiencing the same thing? Thanks.

Post via CB Z10
    do you mean it couldn't process the request (request failure), or it just didn't recognize the address?

Make sure the proper info is in the proper fields in the actual contacts (ie street address in street address field, city in the city field...etc

I had this happen with one contact but it was because the province and city ended up both in the city field (ie I had "Toronto, ON" in the city field, instead of "Toronto" in the city field and "Ontario" in the province field.
    07-29-13 10:11 AM
    Geez, people. The OP posted a Poll. If you've got an issue, start a new thread.
    07-29-13 10:42 AM
    I love BlackBerry maps as is. It's not as pretty as Google maps, but I have found the navigation and drive time estimates to be more reliable than Google.

I think trying to clone Google maps is absolutely the wrong approach. Blackberry maps is already superior to Google maps in that you can easily pull up the map, address, and phone number of a local business with a single keyword search. If I am looking for a particular restaurant or store, I don't even bother using a search engine, I just go to blackberry maps first, since it is just one tap to make a call or get directions.

IMHO blackberry should extend the integration of BlackBerry maps with other core apps on the phone (for example, displaying a link to a business's website on the detail page for a map result, or making it easy to attach driving directions to meetings or tasks...)
    07-29-13 11:04 AM
    Also, the "Poll" appears to be quite biased as there is no doubt to indicate satisfaction with BlackBerry maps.
    rthonpm and Anonymous563453 like this.
    07-29-13 11:08 AM
    Also, the "Poll" appears to be quite biased as there is no doubt to indicate satisfaction with BlackBerry maps.
    No WAY to indicate
    07-29-13 11:08 AM
    Based on my needs and usage as car-navigation I'm absolutely pleased with the current BB Maps and the map material for Austria. I avoided to use BB maps for a long time only because it seamed like everyone on the Internet hated it. Finally I found out, that in my case this app is a perfect match and offers everything a car navigation app needs to offer in my opinion.
    Many of the things listed in OP's posts are not essential and important for me and most of them I didn't even notice missing so far.
    Also some points listed by the OP aren't even valid afaik. For example:
    • I believe there is the possibility to switch to alternative routes before confirming navigation start
    • Don't you have more than one finger on one hand? Just zoom using two fingers like you do in the webbrowser.
    • Do we really need social crap everywhere? Just post via Facebook where you currently are, if it is essential for you to keep your friends and the NSA informed. Or if others need to come to you, tell them the address so they can enter it into their own navi apps.

For my use BB Maps is just perfect.
    I agree
    07-29-13 11:10 AM
    Thanks OP. I agree with you.

via my amazing Z10
    Vito B likes this.
    07-29-13 12:51 PM
    Geez, people. The OP posted a Poll. If you've got an issue, start a new thread.
    ppeters914, please read the first sentence of your signature. :-)

This thread is not just a poll. It's also regarding Navigation Bugs, Errors, and Missing features. Well, I'm verifying a problem that I'm seeing if it indeed happens to a lot of people then perhaps we should add it to the OP list.

ibpluto, thanks for following up. When you open BB Maps. Then type a Contact name which has an address. BB Maps will find the searched contact and shows it on the result list. The address is included in smaller font. (*so far so good*) When you tap to select the contact, only the contact name is shown without the address. If you then proceed to tap on the triangle icon to establish route for it, BB Maps will come back with an error. Try that and see if you have the same problem. Thanks.
    07-29-13 03:49 PM
    The only Feature i'm missing is an offline Feature for foreign countries. Currently on my Trips to austria and switzerland the roaming costs are killing me.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 04:03 PM
    Don't know if it is a bug or my z10. But maps makes my phone run hot, so that it stops charging....and then on a long trip maps drains my battery. anybody else experience this?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 05:40 AM
    Just get Mireo map. It stores on the phone for of line use so does not use data plan and it is the best!

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 07:28 AM
    Don't know if it is a bug or my z10. But maps makes my phone run hot, so that it stops charging....and then on a long trip maps drains my battery. anybody else experience this?

Posted via CB10
    Yes mine heats up too, very quickly.

Post via CB Z10
    07-30-13 08:03 AM
    Lighten up, folks! The OP's criticism was more constructive than anything I've read about Maps so far. All those points are valid.

Posted via CB10
    Vito B and King29b like this.
    07-30-13 08:51 AM
    [I][SIZE=5][SIZE=3]I 8.Offer 2-3 alternative routes before starting navigation.
    Yes! This is an absolute MUST living in large metro areas. Living in the Los Angeles area, I need to see traffic and options for multiple routes before leaving.

Posted via CB10
    Vito B likes this.
    07-30-13 08:56 AM
    The only Feature i'm missing is an offline Feature for foreign countries. Currently on my Trips to austria and switzerland the roaming costs are killing me.

Posted via CB10
    I always found unlocking your device then using a sim card from the country your traveling too is the cheapest way to go and most cases they offer better data packages for you. Cheaper than roaming chargers. I know my carrier Telus bends you over on roaming chargers over seas or in the Caribbean. When I went to st lucia I used the local provider digi cell saved me tons.

Posted Via my Z-10
    07-30-13 09:07 AM
    I love BlackBerry maps as is. It's not as pretty as Google maps, but I have found the navigation and drive time estimates to be more reliable than Google.

I think trying to clone Google maps is absolutely the wrong approach. Blackberry maps is already superior to Google maps in that you can easily pull up the map, address, and phone number of a local business with a single keyword search. If I am looking for a particular restaurant or store, I don't even bother using a search engine, I just go to blackberry maps first, since it is just one tap to make a call or get directions.

IMHO blackberry should extend the integration of BlackBerry maps with other core apps on the phone (for example, displaying a link to a business's website on the detail page for a map result, or making it easy to attach driving directions to meetings or tasks...)
    Lol no it is not better than Google Maps.. Not by a long shot. OP made some good points to make Maps better and you chime in with a delusional "BB maps is already better than Google maps"

There are a lot of things that are debatable regard BB10 vs the competition but maps isn't one

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Vito B and jupiter8 like this.
    07-30-13 09:10 AM
    Lol no it is not better than Google Maps.. Not by a long shot. OP made some good points to make Maps better and you chime in with a delusional "BB maps is already better than Google maps"

There are a lot of things that are debatable regard BB10 vs the competition but maps isn't one

You didn't fully understand what I said. I am not saying BB Maps is better than Google Maps in every area, but only that it is superior in some ways, most notably in that BB Maps is more efficient at retrieving several pieces of information about local businesses from a keyword search than Google is.

Google's interface for retrieving information is designed to maximize ad clicks, and is not optimized for the user. BB Maps just pulls up all the relevant info at once, with details a tap away, which is a better user experience, in my opinion. I was not kidding - I have now stopped going first to search engines for local searches, I just use BB Maps, because it gets me to the phone number and location faster.
    08-01-13 03:48 PM
    Don't forget the ability to search directions between two points that are not your current location. Sometimes I search directions ahead of my travel time. I think that's fairly normal, but right now I can only get directions with my current location as the starting point.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 06:57 PM
    You didn't fully understand what I said. I am not saying BB Maps is better than Google Maps in every area, but only that it is superior in some ways, most notably in that BB Maps is more efficient at retrieving several pieces of information about local businesses from a keyword search than Google is.

Google's interface for retrieving information is designed to maximize ad clicks, and is not optimized for the user. BB Maps just pulls up all the relevant info at once, with details a tap away, which is a better user experience, in my opinion. I was not kidding - I have now stopped going first to search engines for local searches, I just use BB Maps, because it gets me to the phone number and location faster.
    Sorry you have no idea what you are talking about... For example one search gets me this

Then if I click on the bottom I get this

All the information right there in one click... If I scroll I see reviews and so on..

Sorry but BB10 maps cannot compare... By the way.. The way I got to maps to do my search was I just clicked on a non hyperlinked address and it automatically opened maps..

08-01-13 07:50 PM
30 12