I live in the US and I can say that BB Maps does need some refinement. I own a Z30 and it is a little off, even entering in specific addresses.

It works reasonably well, but I have had it take me more than just a little out of my way. Last I knew, BB Maps was powered by Tom Tom. I don't use GPS much, but when I need it, I need it. Wish BBRY had partnered with Garmin on this.
    10-13-14 07:54 PM
    I hope BlackBerry does update their mapping Capabilities. Current map is just ugly and so 2010.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 07:58 PM
    I use BeMaps Pro for walking and public transport, and for searching. It forks out to BlackBerry Maps if I need to drive. I also use Foursquare for some searches.
    Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    It's good that there's some solutions (it used to be there was nothing), but that still has it's own issues:
    -Using 2 maps to do the job of 1 on most platforms (even WP is way better off than BB on this).
    -Paying $6 for a portion of the mapping functionality is alien to most people... Most user's won't even purchase an app at this price range.

Also this feels reminiscent of 2009, finding paid apps to make up for missing functionality on included/first party apps...
    10-13-14 07:59 PM
    I agree with the hope that BlackBerry might get Nokia Here -- if one can agree with a hope. I don't mind paying the price of a good pint of ale for an app that does something really useful but certainly it'd be better to have it all in one app.

Incidentally, I tried downloading NavFree and it couldn't find my house, which has been here about 75 years.

Waze works well on the Passport but you have to keep it on the charger or it'll kill the battery pretty fast.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubizmo; 10-14-14 at 07:27 AM.
    10-13-14 08:09 PM
    If you want to splurge for $0.99 Maps on BB world seems to do quite well with walking and transit directions.
    10-13-14 08:14 PM
    I use BlackBerry maps daily.
    Never failed me yet. Not even remotely slow.
    My wish is for some additional features to be incorporated.
    Folder creating like on my Garmin.
    I had folders for many different reasons.
    My biggest wish is an off road capacity. I'm on Job sites 90% of the time that I can't save the local due to the roads not technically existing.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 09:06 PM
    But Waze is a battery hog.....
    10-13-14 10:38 PM
    But Waze is a battery hog.....
    The Waze developers probably only using it because BlackBerry traffic was eol'd
    Lolz
    10-13-14 11:09 PM
    It's always something, huh?
    Do away with the maps altogether and just use the Compass. I haven't heard any complaints about it pointing in the wrong direction.

After using the compass for awhile to get to where you want to go, maybe Maps won't seem so crappy!
    Of course you could alway stop and ask someone for directions!! That use to work pretty good!
    Far more advanced than just using the sun as I do!

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    anon(3732391) and awindsr like this.
    10-13-14 11:17 PM
    Eh. It's been pretty bad for me. Doesn't pick up a lot of places, and (of course) no walking or transit. Too bad
    10-13-14 11:24 PM
    Nokia HERE maps for Samsung (Beta version with no expiration message)

Works on all Android devices, so should work on BB10 devices too. version 1.0 beta 174.

apologies if posting links to APK's is a no-no. It's only a limited time exclusive for Samsung devices and not a commercial app (yet?), so it's not like we'd be stealing.
    Last edited by G-malien; 10-14-14 at 12:08 AM.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-13-14 11:56 PM
    I'm inclined to think that people who say Blackberry Maps sucks, lags, etc are probably living outside areas that it covers. I have traveled all around the US and Canada and rely on Blackberry Maps. It has never let me down. I love the fact it repeats the instructions as sometimes I am involved with a driving partner and if it didn't repeat, I would lose the instructions. I am sorry if you live in an area that isn't supported, but for those in areas that it does. It works really well.
    I live in Vancouver... and BB maps is complete garbage. The only way I can see someone thinking it's good, is if they've never used Google maps. Seriously, just download Google maps off of Snap - literally 10000% faster and more accurate to boot.
    Bleeks81 likes this.
    10-14-14 12:07 AM
    Absolutely agree. BlackBerry maps is crap. Maybe it works fine for US, Canada and UK but not for the rest world.
    10-14-14 01:29 AM
    Here map beta won't open.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 02:13 AM
    I live in Vancouver... and BB maps is complete garbage. The only way I can see someone thinking it's good, is if they've never used Google maps. Seriously, just download Google maps off of Snap - literally 10000% faster and more accurate to boot.
    You use that word "literally", but I don't think you know what it means...

I do, however, agree that BB Maps isn't the most feature-filled. I wouldn't say it is crap, since I prefer its turn-by-turn Nav over the other options.

However, on long drives, I prefer NavFree because Data is expensive in South Africa, so an Offline map system is awesome.

POI, I use BeMaps Pro. I can't say that I use any Nav system for walking...I hardly even use turn-by-turn at all.

Usually just look at the location in BeMaps, and then use mah breyn-parts to get there.
    10-14-14 02:14 AM
    I think the difference between b roads in the uk and north America could be quite large. For me I get sent down all manner of country lanes, some just a car width.

And I have to agree, it needs work for pedestrian access.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 04:26 AM
    It provides some benefit but I tend to agree with the original poster.
    I do not like it on my Q10 and find the interface frustrating.
    BlackBerry needs Google Maps built for the BlackBerry with all the polish you would find on Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 04:36 AM
    Exaggerate much? I have used google maps and for driving and turn by turn navigation. Blackberry Maps is better. There is no way it can be 10000% better and more accurate if it always gets me where I need to go.
    10-14-14 05:19 AM
    For online use you could try viamichelin and Michelin navigation. It keeps on working even when it has lost Internet connection. What's the drawback: it uses old style navigation with arrows and speech. Great part is that you can choose for touristic routes, it will prefer scenic routes, for holiday routes a nice extra.
    ubizmo likes this.
    10-14-14 05:32 AM
    So far so good. Does the job for me in India...

Posted via CB10 on my Z30 running on OS 10.3.0.1154
    10-14-14 05:46 AM
    Nokia HERE maps for Samsung (Beta version with no expiration message)

Works on all Android devices, so should work on BB10 devices too. version 1.0 beta 174.

apologies if posting links to APK's is a no-no. It's only a limited time exclusive for Samsung devices and not a commercial app (yet?), so it's not like we'd be stealing.
    Nokia HERE maps does not work on BlackBerry 10. Even the Samsung apk. Its been tried and posted many times in the forums.

via CB10 from my awesome BlackBerry Z3
    10-14-14 06:14 AM
    Hmm I really really user to hate blackberry maps. Until I started to use it extensively. I love how reliable it has been and specially it's turn by turn voice navigation and how it tells me about traffic jams and incidents up ahead.

Yes it doesn't have the bells and whistles and might not be the most detailed maps app but it is excellent at its core functions and it's free.

Honestly I doubt I would use Google maps now given the chance. I converted my dad to the z10 from his samsung phone and he used to kiss Google maps but after seeing BlackBerry maps in action he embraced it too.

I do hope we get some sort of Google now functionality in the future. Voice assistant aside.

Posted via my Z30
    jefbeard911 and Bluenoser63 like this.
    10-14-14 07:33 AM
    Google leads the world in search capabilities of any kind. It's going to be the best in class for POI search as well. But in terms of routing, I'm not convinced it's better than BlackBerry Maps. As I said, I've used them side-by-side, me using BlackBerry Maps and my wife using Google Maps on her S3. BlackBerry Maps has given me routes that I regard as more drivable, with real-time traffic alerts. Google Maps looks prettier and tells me which side of the road my destination is on, but other than that I find BlackBerry Maps more dependable when driving. I'm in the Philadelphia area in the US; I've used it in other parts of the country, including Hawaii, but not in other countries, so I can't compare service from country to country.

If I'm walking or on a bus, I really don't want voice nagivation. The BeMaps Pro app does a nice job with these -- better than the Google Maps web site. The app is "pricey" only because we're so used to spending a buck for apps. For what it does, I think it's worth it.

Waze really is very good, for search and driving navigation. I used it on my Z10 and Q10, and now it's on the Passport. But it does heat the phone up and drain the battery fast. I have to point out, however, that it did the same on my S4, i.e., heat up and lose a lot of juice while running. It's not just caused by running on BB10.
    10-14-14 07:52 AM
    I love how reliable it has been and specially it's turn by turn voice navigation and how it tells me about traffic jams and incidents up ahead.
    For me, It always warned me of non existent incidents...
    10-14-14 08:18 AM
    Wrong section brother this is Passport section not os10 section.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 08:25 AM
171 ... 23456 ...