I bought a cheap Nokia Lumia to use the Here maps.

BlackBerry maps are OK but I find that it is impossible to use without at least 3 g signal.

I have no idea why it will not work to load directions over an edge connection. Since I have T-MOBILE which often has only edge signal in rural areas, I can't afford to rely on BlackBerry maps since I could get stuck unable to load anything.

That said, when I have used it, it has been reliable.

I would suggest navfree, but it doesn't work offline for me either which makes no sense. I have downloaded the maps but I can only look up addresses using Google. Even with the exact address nothing ever comes up offline, so I have to use the Google option.

Posted via CB10
    I used to be on edge all the time with Tmobile. Now only occasionally.

Using PP and Z10
    ubizmo likes this.
    10-13-14 11:21 AM
    I understand that Apple maps relies on TomTom data as does BlackBerry. What does that tell us?
    10-13-14 11:22 AM
    I understand that Apple maps relies on TomTom data as does BlackBerry. What does that tell us?
    GIGO.
    10-13-14 11:37 AM
    In Pittsburgh, the over-reliance on B roads (when set to shortest distance) is a feature, not a bug. The main roads and highways back up during rush hour and back roads are the only way to make time.
    So you're the guy I'm always following through Crafton at rush hour!
    10-13-14 11:58 AM
    Good thing I don't drive. Don't need navigation tools while on a bus.
    10-13-14 01:59 PM
    Nokia Here maps will be available as an Android app for everyone at some point... (It's a Samsung exclusive at the moment.)
    10-13-14 02:44 PM
    At least in the UK. It would be awesome if they

A. Admit it's rubbish and
    B. License Nokia here maps so we can have offline maps.

Come on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    True, BB maps are crap in whole Europe. Look like the app froze in early 2000s.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 02:47 PM
    Have you used in the last five weeks??

Passport'n stuff all day long.
    10-13-14 02:51 PM
    I love my passport but come on BlackBerry maps is a POS compared to, well everything else. Now that Here maps is available on Android (well on Samsung) BlackBerry should adopt it, or something that actually works, Just drop that maps crap BlackBerry and move on.

Please.

Posted via CB10
    Savior4Life likes this.
    10-13-14 03:19 PM
    I love my passport but come on BlackBerry maps is a POS compared to, well everything else. Now that Here maps is available on Android (well on Samsung) BlackBerry should adopt it, or something that actually works, Just drop that maps crap BlackBerry and move on.

Please.
    I'd rather have options. When I was using the mobile versions of Google Maps and Nokia Here, I found Google Maps to update tiles faster, though location updates were slow. Nokia Here was the opposite: I could see my location (the dot), but no tiles to actual show where that actually was. BlackBerry Maps updated both fast, but didn't have pedestrian and public transport info that I needed.
    10-13-14 03:44 PM
    Looks like you are saying that each map has its own strengths and weaknesses depending on the situation..well I have to agree with this statement.
    Blackberry Maps was the only digital map tool that showed me small roads up in northern ontario, google maps was clueless and half of all roads arnt shown...

Only my garmin GPS and Blackberry maps showed me the roads and lane ways, and sometimes garmin was clueless but BlackBerry maps knew right where the roads were

I think they are fantastic maps, even the traffic look ahead and auto redirect works great

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    10-13-14 04:19 PM
    Is HERE belong to Microsoft now or they are still a property of Nokia? Thanks.
    Nokia Here maps will be available as an Android app for everyone at some point... (It's a Samsung exclusive at the moment.)
    10-13-14 04:20 PM
    BlackBerry maps is actually very good but it lacks features. I use it in conjunction with Waze which is my personal favorite but navigation doesn't work if you shut off the screen .

Also there are a ton of maps apps, that's the point of having an appstore

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 05:06 PM
    [QUOTE=jasonvan9;10965694]Blackberry Maps was the only digital map tool that showed me small roads up in northern ontario, google maps was clueless and half of all roads arnt shown...

Only my garmin GPS and Blackberry maps showed me the roads and lane ways, and sometimes garmin was clueless but BlackBerry maps knew right where the roads were

I think they are fantastic maps, even the traffic look ahead and auto redirect works great

I am in Central Ontario and I need both the Garmin and the BB to get around at times. The BB has very accurate traffic updates too!
    10-13-14 05:15 PM
    Works great for me. I don't really care about walking / transit.

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    10-13-14 05:16 PM
    Is HERE belong to Microsoft now or they are still a property of Nokia? Thanks.
    Here belongs to Nokia, but they had an exclusive deal with Microsoft and now that's ended. They've ported to Android, but it's another exclusive deal, for Samsung. They said they'll release to general Android users at some point, and probably iOS too.
    10-13-14 05:35 PM
    It's always something, huh?
    Do away with the maps altogether and just use the Compass. I haven't heard any complaints about it pointing in the wrong direction.

After using the compass for awhile to get to where you want to go, maybe Maps won't seem so crappy!
    Of course you could alway stop and ask someone for directions!! That use to work pretty good!

Carjackd likes this.
    10-13-14 05:43 PM
    Anybody who uses transit systems in any major city probably doesn't use Blackberry Maps to navigate or look up places (since you can't see where the stations are in relation to the lookups).

That's a lot of people and that's a big problem.... Here's hoping they use Nokia's maps because I have very little faith they will update their own mapping application to be onpar even within the next 3 years.
    10-13-14 05:55 PM
    Wouldn't mind some better maps but I use Waze and it works perfectly

Posted via the awesome power of BlackBerry 10 on one of my lovely devices probably my beautiful beast called Z30 or my great Q10 or my lovely Z10
    Katika99 likes this.
    10-13-14 06:08 PM
    The directions are always good, arrival times accurate
    Yeah, they are...
    It said I needed 1 hour and 15 minutes to go from my home (North of Milan) to Turin. I did exactly 1 hour and 15 minutes.
    The point, is that I drove at an average speed of 150 km/h, when the highway limit in Italy it's 130 km/h.
    I did that only because I know there are no speed camera in that part and the street is always clean and the traffic is low.
    Last edited by II ARROWS; 10-13-14 at 07:02 PM.
    10-13-14 06:41 PM
    It gets the job done for me but yea compared to Google or even apple maps, it's garbage
    10-13-14 06:55 PM
    I'm inclined to think anyone who says Blackberry Maps is good is either living in a state of denial or is just a fanboy. It is appallingly bad, I couldn't even get it to load a route, and it's far too slow.

Posted via CB10
    I'm inclined to think that people who say Blackberry Maps sucks, lags, etc are probably living outside areas that it covers. I have traveled all around the US and Canada and rely on Blackberry Maps. It has never let me down. I love the fact it repeats the instructions as sometimes I am involved with a driving partner and if it didn't repeat, I would lose the instructions. I am sorry if you live in an area that isn't supported, but for those in areas that it does. It works really well.
    der_mit likes this.
    10-13-14 07:07 PM
    Anybody who uses transit systems in any major city probably doesn't use Blackberry Maps to navigate or look up places (since you can't see where the stations are in relation to the lookups).

That's a lot of people and that's a big problem.... Here's hoping they use Nokia's maps because I have very little faith they will update their own mapping application to be onpar even within the next 3 years.
    I use Blackberry maps for its intended purpose. Driving from one location to another via car.
    der_mit likes this.
    10-13-14 07:09 PM
    I agree. When it comes to driving, BlackBerry maps works better in Canada and US than both the iPhone and the Google maps apps.
    I tested it several times in US against my daughter's IPhone and my wife's Galaxy 4. It is faster and always accurate, even though mine is a Canadian carrier phone and theirs are US phones. Z30 has better reception than the other phones.
    �n France it worked better for me than the GPS from the car rental.
    However, I do not use it for walking and I have yet to test it on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-13-14 07:15 PM
    I've used BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps side-by-side for driving navigation and BlackBerry Maps performs as well as, or better than Google Maps for getting me to my destination and avoiding traffic. For search and anything else, it's poor.

I use BeMaps Pro for walking and public transport, and for searching. It forks out to BlackBerry Maps if I need to drive. I also use Foursquare for some searches.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    der_mit likes this.
    10-13-14 07:20 PM
171 12345 ...