I saw a lot of threads about bb maps being terrible.. I used it for the first time in Quebec city and worked amazingly ! Especially when the lady tells us where to go.. so why do people hate bb maps so much ?

Posted via CB10
    06-17-17 01:44 PM
    its not being updated and its behind in many features that other mapping software has.
    06-17-17 01:48 PM
    its not being updated and its behind in many features that other mapping software has.
    I'm pretty sure that the map data (from Tom Tom) is still being updated, so routing is still decent, however, as howarmat said, no new features have been added for years and it has fallen way behind other mapping software. It still does basic navigation well because the map data is updated.
    06-17-17 02:02 PM
    I saw a lot of threads about bb maps being terrible.. I used it for the first time in Quebec city and worked amazingly ! Especially when the lady tells us where to go.. so why do people hate bb maps so much ?

Posted via CB10
    I don't use navigation often, but the first time I used BlackBerry Maps it told me to turn north on a road that ran east to west... Needless to say, that was my last time using it.
    06-17-17 02:06 PM
    If it's still being updated, then Tom Tom should update my neighborhood. Some buildings have disappeared but BlackBerry Maps is still showing them on the map and when I search for them they still turn up.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    06-17-17 03:48 PM
    I always liked BlackBerry maps for its simplicity and accuracy, but at times it would just never find the addresses I was looking for.

It's one of the only, if not the only, navigation app that can give you directions in one language and at the same time read street names in the local language (example, directions in English but reading French street names in French).
    06-17-17 04:20 PM
    If it's still being updated, then Tom Tom should update my neighborhood. Some buildings have disappeared but BlackBerry Maps is still showing them on the map and when I search for them they still turn up.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    Tom Tom is being updated (much like Garmin) but not to the extent that Google is. I use a Garmin in my car and even though I just updated it 2 weeks ago, it is still lacking in some changes that have been made in my area. Nothing major but I don't expect the granular detail of Google Maps from my Garmin or from Blackberry Maps. Tom Tom will probably update your neighborhood someday but it will certainly take longer to do so than Google.
    06-17-17 04:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Maps is a basic navigation app. For what it does, it is pretty good. But it is simple, and it gets bashed for that.

As far as sometimes not finding an address, or not being correct, that happens with any navigation app because sometimes the location data is incorrect or not up to date with new development. It happens to me, but rarely. And I know it happens to others on other systems as well.
    06-18-17 04:25 AM
    The further you go from urban centres the less accurate they all get. My Garmin has had errors like a bridge where none exists, and through roads that are dead ends for years without fixing them. Tom Tom / BlackBerry is better, but Google is best simply because they have the best data collection. Nothing beats mapping roads by driving on them. Having said that, I live in the country and Google will regularly put an address kilometres from its actual location, just like the others.

I know a search and rescue volunteer in BC who is regularly called out to find people who thought that just because Google Maps shows a mountain trail all they need is their phone to navigate with.

There is a very old programming maximum that applies here that I don't hear often enough anymore. GIGO, garbage in garbage out. Base map data has lots of errors from many sources especially in rural areas, and GPS isn't as accurate or reliable as the average person thinks. These mapping and navigation applications are great, but don't expect more from them than they can provide.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    06-18-17 07:47 AM
    Try using bemaps pro.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-17 12:29 AM
    So which features it is missing?!?

Navigation: it does
    Traffic jams: it does

Reading the street names as it should sound in the local language: it does. Google maps doesn't by the way.

Eh?

Dont tell me it is the "Restaurant review" or other data-tracking and advertising stuff that is missing.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-17 05:22 AM