So, After Link never working and my Z10 never being able to be recognized by my laptop, last night I saw this Reload button in Link.

It said if my blackberry was having trouble communicating with the computer, to reload the OS.

I did that, and continued with the process, thinking I was just updating my OS.

However, an hour later, I look down to notice that my Z10 has been completely wiped clean and I have lost everything on my Z10! All of my passwords in password keeper, all of my pictures, videos, walking-app history, etc. all ******* gone.

Not once was there some warning telling me that it would factory reset my blackberry. I am 30 and have been using technology since I was pretty much born. I would never, for the life of me, simply accidentally factory reset something as important as my Z10.

I'm devastated and I sick and tired of how Blackberries connect with computers. It's flat-out embarrassing.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have decided to move to Apple.

After trying to simply get my recent iTunes purchase onto my Z10, it not working as usual, and then me accidentally factory resetting my phone when I just wanted to fix it, I've just had enough of this nonsense.
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    05-10-15 08:36 AM
    Bye.
    ibpluto likes this.
    05-10-15 08:43 AM
    I'm really sorry you lost your data. That's the worst and I completely understand you being upset.

So is there no back-up of the lost data? Not even from a few weeks ago? This is, and I know you probably don't want to hear it, very reckless though. You always, ALWAYS have to have at least a back-up that is not older than a month or so, otherwise ...

I've also had quite a few setbacks and once lost a complete harddrive of my laptop. Ever since I religiously back up my data and save it on different USB and HDDs just to be safe. I know this won't help with your lost data but whenever you try to reload or reinstall something always make sure to double check if you have a current back up especially sice BB link is THE WORST back-up program on the planet.

I completely understand your frustration with BB Link, it's a mess and it takes me 4-5 times sometimes more to recognize the device and be able to do a back up which is annyoing and time consuming as hell. BB Link really is the worst program for a back up and I also fondly remember how easy life was when I backed up my iPhone via iTunes and it worked like a charm.

Do you really want to switch back? What worked for me in the past was to just deinstall Link and reinstall it. Sometimes more than once.
    I'm on a Mac with 10.10.2. and somehow Link and the phone are just not getting along very well...
    playfoot likes this.
    05-10-15 08:48 AM
    Not once was there some warning telling me that it would factory reset my blackberry. I am 30 and have been using technology since I was pretty much born. I would never, for the life of me, simply accidentally factory reset something as important as my Z10.
    No back up (cloud, sd card)? I guess 30 years hasn't been long enough... Looks like 31 might finally do it though.

Sorry to hear.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 08:49 AM
    All companies have issues. I use an Iphone 5S for work and it has issues. The itunes store logs out spontaneously, it has zero multi tasking abilities, Safari is not even on par with the Blackberry Browser. I could go on but jumping ship because you forgot to pay attention to Link is a lack of technology maturity.
    Larry Harper likes this.
    05-10-15 08:52 AM
    Peace out. like when I left iphone for my passport
    05-10-15 08:53 AM
    I'm really sorry you lost your data. That's the worst and I completely understand you being upset.

So is there no back-up of the lost data? Not even from a few weeks ago?

I've also had quite a few setbacks and once lost a complete harddrive of my laptop. Ever since I religiously back up my data and save it on different USB and HDDs just to be safe. I know this won't help with your lost data but whenever you try to reload or reinstall something always make sure to double check if you have a current back up especially sice BB link is THE WORST back-up program on the planet.

I completely understand your frustration with BB Link, it's a mess and it takes me 4-5 times sometimes more to recognize the device and be able to do a back up which is annyoing and time consuming as hell. BB Link really is the worst program for a back up and I also fondly remember how easy life was when I backed up my iPhone via iTunes and it worked like a charm.

Do you really want to switch back? What worked for me in the past was to just deinstall Link and reinstall it. Sometimes more than once.
    I'm on a Mac with 10.10.2. and somehow Link and the phone are just not getting along very well...
    I tried uninstalling Link two days ago, thinking that a new install may be the answer to the ongoing issues with Link. Well, after removing the less than functional Link, I am not able to install Link again. I tried numerous times to install it, but after reaching 24% of the program downloaded the download simply stops and I am told that it can not finish downloading.

What a pain!

Posted using 10.2.1, thankfully not 10.3.1
    05-10-15 08:54 AM
    If Link drove you to iPhone, iTunes will drive you to drink.... enjoy
    05-10-15 09:01 AM
    05-10-15 09:04 AM
    After 30 years you haven't learned to make a back up? Or that something so nuclear as reloading the OS might warrant a backup first...just in case?

Not sure how going to iPhone is going to help you, as you could have just as easily made the same mistake there.

Have fun with Itunes. That alone is responsible for the some of my gray hairs
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    05-10-15 09:05 AM
    It does warn...on both the device and from the link screen...not sure what or why you never got one??
    masterscarhead1 and bungaboy like this.
    05-10-15 09:07 AM
    True, hitting the backup button in iTunes is pretty easy, but have you ever tried transferring files with it or syncing to Outlook?

I've heard a lot of complaints about Link, but you can't get much more obtuse that the way iTunes implements it's full range of features.

Since 10.3,1 I've had more communications errors, but Link's behavior has always been very consistent.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 09:08 AM
    I tried uninstalling Link two days ago, thinking that a new install may be the answer to the ongoing issues with Link. Well, after removing the less than functional Link, I am not able to install Link again. I tried numerous times to install it, but after reaching 24% of the program downloaded the download simply stops and I am told that it can not finish downloading.

What a pain!

Posted using 10.2.1, thankfully not 10.3.1
    Sorry to hear about your troubles!
    What are you using, windows or a mac?
    05-10-15 09:09 AM
    Sorry. Nothing cares. Bye

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 09:09 AM
    Sorry that you lost everything. Im sure we can all relate to how much that would suck. Aside from that, another unfortunate thing about this post is that its beginning to happen more frequently on CB. I honestly have been wondering the last 6 months when will I move on after 10 years with BB. Those of us who are here are fairly representative of the last of the loyal BB consumer base. Those who even despite the clearly stated direction of the company have decided to hang on in hopes that some bit of news or development will give us incentive to hang on just a bit longer. It unfortunately seems to be just the opposite.
    double_fault likes this.
    05-10-15 09:17 AM
    Like others have said, making back ups is incredibly simple and important!

30years around this stuff, and no common sense to do back ups? Yeah ok.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-10-15 09:20 AM
    How was OP supposed to make a backup when they were not able to get Link to work at all? That was the original issue.

I too struggled with Link and only recently has it somehow magically started to work on my PC for back ups. I spend months using 3 different PCs, multiple installs, a Z10, a Z30, etc., and in the end, I have no idea why it suddenly started to work properly. Hopefully it will continue to do so reliably.

I understand the frustration of the OP but I wouldn't switch to iPhone for that. Reckless though it may be, I would rather work without a backup than use iPhone. (I guess I am quite biased!)

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 09:30 AM
    05-10-15 09:33 AM
    Good luck with your new iPhone OP .

Thread closed

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and bungaboy like this.
    05-10-15 09:35 AM