05-23-15 11:12 AM
95 ... 234
tools
    Can one of you Mac users tell me the USB product ID as reported by lsusb when using the phone in tether mode. (Tether mode as opposed to smb/samba mode.)

I'm trying to get tethering to work under linux.

Posted via CB10
    I am using the BB from time to time to provide internet access to a Linux laptop, USB tethering works out of the box, I just activate the tethering on the Q5 and connect to the laptop via USB, the net manager automatically connects to the network. My laptop has debian testing (Solydxk/KDE).
    03-09-15 09:34 AM
    @MobileMadness002

if you have something useful to say don't bother to reply like moron.
    Okay.
    03-09-15 10:25 AM
    Okay.
    Saying just okay is too intelligent. Need response like: cloud fly here wants to go to sleep in the future website

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 12:48 PM
    OSX is also a POS. They have rewritten the OS to ensure you are a prisoner without knowing it. IPhone, iPad, icloud, itunes, integration improvements but productivity software like Numbers, Pages, Apple Mail have been sacrificed. I now use my Macbook for image editing only.

Getting that off my chest, Link on OSX is pretty bad but I am hoping when 10.3 is finally released (Feb 19??) for my Z10 that Blend makes it a moot point.

Posted via CB10
    Well, 10.3.1 is released and is dangerous to use if you're relying on it to help run your business.
    No longer syncing between phone and computer, only transferring data to the phone but not from the phone to the computer and only some data is transferred and then erasing that data on the computer.
    Color coding of calendars doesn't transfer, but gets swapped as a different type of calendar appointment.
    And that's just a couple of issues.
    But BlackBerry will keep everyone hoping for a quick fix that doesn't come, just like they did with 10.1 &10.2.1 and now this disaster.

Posted via Q10 CB10
    03-21-15 10:33 PM
    I'm using surface pro 3 and finding that the connection between the desktop and phone is not stable. I can't do a backup of my phone since the connection keeps going offline after a short period of time.
    03-22-15 01:37 AM
    Bb10 supports caldav. (Look for advanced features where you set up your email on the phone.) I don't do anything Apple. But linux supports caldav, so I'd be shocked if Apple can't.

CalDAV Clients

The claim is iCal can accept caldav. Apple has a way of taking industry standards and screwing them up, but you could just use Google calendar. (Say what you want about Google, they are a company that believes in standards. And trust me, I'm no Google fanboi.)

Edit:
    Caldav is also a cloud service, so you will need to use a google account or set up your own server.

You want to sync when the rest of the world wisely gave up on that and went to the cloud. (Technically the clients do sync to the server, but the server is the master database. I try to avoid cloud services unless I am 100% convinced they are superior, such as IMAP.)

Posted via CB10
    OS X and Google services work fine Google supports CalDav and more recently CardDav. Of course there will always be a problem with field mappings. Blackberry still does NOT recognize shared calendars on Google which is crazy a good example would be a departmental calendar at work. iOS and OS X will discover everything when you enter your credentials.

Blackberry should focus less on new devices and more on getting feature parity with Android and iOS when it comes to supporting third party services such as iCloud, Google Apps for Business or offer their own cloud services. I don't care how awesome your hardware is if you're missing meetings because you can't see calendars that everyone else in the company can.

The other options is Blackberry just sells to Microsoft because it seems as if Blackberry plays nice with Exchange Server.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    03-22-15 01:09 PM
    Link is weird sometimes - I had to roll back to an earlier version because the latest one would not recognize my phone, probably a driver issue.
    03-22-15 07:47 PM
    I'm basically giving up now. Been fighting this fight for a few years now. It wasn't so bad in the beginning when I had access to a windows machine, but now that I'm all OSX it feels hopeless.

I'm a heavy iTunes user. Playlists (Smart and Regular) are my primary tool for organizing my 80+ GB collection, and ensuring only the latest and/or greatest tunes are sync'd to my phone. Dragging and dropping files using the filesystem is not a scalable option.

BlackBerry Link on OSX is a major league pain in the a$$. I'm using the latest "Blend" version of Link, OSX Yosemite, on a MacBook Air (although generally all the same issues on OSX Maverick MacBook Pro). I'm also on BB OS 10.3.1 (although same issues back on 10.2.1):

* Backup and restores never work.
    * Navigating the SD card or Z30 internal memory is painfully slow

I can get over these things. I can find a Windows PC to help with large system backups, or smaller scale photo backups.

The biggest kicker is that Music Sync is actually INSANE. I don't get it. These are some things I see:
    * Setting up itunes playlists to sync hardly ever works 100%. Seems like some tracks don't get copied. If I try to queue up a set of lists to sync there will be entire playlists that don't sync. Even if I unplug/replug the device. Restart Link. Restart both phone and computer. The "sync'd" list never makes it to the phone.
    * Even when I manage to successfully get a bunch of playlists, when I look at the file system on the device I see that music files have been sent to one of 3 different filesystem paths, and there's no rhyme or reason for which is chosen:
    a) Sometimes <device memory/music
    b) Sometimes <SD memory card>/music
    c) Sometimes <SD memory card>/blackberry/music <------------- WHAT?!?!

What is happening in the case of c). That's an old path related to the BB7 and earlier days. Why on EARTH is Link creating this old "blackberry" path randomly and throwing tunes in there... seriously WTF?!?!?!?

I'm looking at trying out DoubleTwist to get around using BlackBerry desktop software all together. Big snag there is that I can't get my 64 GB SDXC memory card to be visible over the SD card read on my MacBook Air. The only way to get visibility into this card on my OSX computers is to explore it through my Z30... which, as I've said, is totally flakey and unreliable.

The annoying part is that it always teases me that its going to work, so I go back to trusting the system... but then it always ultimately fails horribly.

In the end, I think my next move is to buy an iPod Touch and just use that to manage my music. Many advantages there (including getting some of that IOS goodness in my life and a nice camera). Downside is carrying around 2 devices ....

I'll leave this here in case, by some miracle of the ancient smartphone gods, one day these problems are resolved... I'm not holding my breath.
    blee4 and playfoot like this.
    04-02-15 06:57 AM
    I've never had an issue with link, but agree something is amiss with it. It's in need of a very massive upgrade.

Sexy White Z30
    04-04-15 05:55 PM
    Agree - as a Mac User predominantly, OS7 Desktop and now OS10 Link have NEVER been good.

And as they are a key point of integration in today's world of syncing and sharing, I think the poor UI and the many issues are certainly a weak link in the BB comeback battle.
    04-05-15 12:58 AM
    Atrocious piece of software!!

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 02:03 AM
    I'm looking at trying out DoubleTwist to get around using BlackBerry desktop software all together. Big snag there is that I can't get my 64 GB SDXC memory card to be visible over the SD card read on my MacBook Air. The only way to get visibility into this card on my OSX computers is to explore it through my Z30... which, as I've said, is totally flakey and unreliable.
    SO, just to follow-up for anyone who's interested:

• I successfully ran Double Twist to sync my iTunes playlists to my micro SD card.
    • It was 100% successful and VERY fast. All the album artwork sync'd. No missing tracks.
    • The user experience with Double Twist requires a few extra steps:

• You need to import your playlists from iTunes over to Double Twist from within the Double Twist app. There's a dedicated menu option for this.... but its not like it just pulls directly from the iTunes playlists. You need to do this extra step.
      • The previous bullet means if you go tweaking your playlists in iTunes, Double Twist won't automatically reflect this. That's okay. Just REIMPORT on Double Twist side and the lists will fix themselves ( you won't have doubles).
      • You need to switch your BB10 device to share the SD card via ________. Go to "Settings" > "Storage And Access" > "Access using USB" and toggle the USB Mass Storage Mode to ON (this is the location in 10.3.1... not sure about earlier versions).
      • Once in this mode the SD card will actually be mounted onto your computer (versus the weird network drive thing that happens normally, and is slow and unreliable).
      • Double Twist should be able to see the device now. You can also simply take your SD card out of the phone and plug it directly into a laptop SD card slot. Everything else about Double Twist works the same.
      • One obvious downside here is that I don't get "live syncing" happening. Where I simply open my laptop, plug my phone in, and have all my latest and greatest playlist edits copied over to my phone. But this never worked anyway. And if I do this "batch update" weekly I'm more than covered anyway.

Not going to get into full detailed intructions on using Double Twist. Its not a complicated app.
    • An update on the 64GB SDXC card is that its now working perfectly fine too.
    • I was trying to get my MacBook to view the disk after I had used my Z30 to format it to exFat file system. Seems as though the Z30 formatting was failing. When I let my MacBook do its own formatting of the drive to exFat both systems can now read the drive without issue.
    • Generally I'm seeing overall better reliability with my setup. I almost think the Link -> Z30 connection is working better now (without USB Mass Storage Mode). This may be because BlackBerry pushed an update out recently.

Anyway, hope that helps others.

Stu

P.S. I was so relieved/thrilled that I donated $10 to Double Twist. Then I realized I could have bought their "Pro" version that might have given me an Android App I could actually use for "Live Syncing" over wifi... which would hav ecost less than $10...
    04-17-15 06:12 AM
    I have osx and link installed. My work around which seem to work consistently are:
    1). Open link before connecting phone
    2) open itunes
    3) open iphoto.
    4) then plug in phone via USB. I have trouble using wifi. So I disabled it.

I don't use remote access so I can't help there.

Another workaround is to just bypass link. Go to settings >storage and access. Scroll to bottom and turn on USB mass storage. Then manipulate all your files just like a USB stick.

Posted from my awesome Q10
    04-17-15 10:26 AM
    I've never had a problem with Link. I backup my phone, download photos, videos, music and story maker files without a problem. I've also used it to upload files to my phone.

I have a Windows 7 laptop and my business partner has a Windows XP desktop . Never had a problem with eight.

Also it was okay with 10.2.x and now with 10.3.x

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 12:19 PM
    Built by idiots as an buggy app )
    04-17-15 04:56 PM
    Yeah, Link is dog testicles. It's a good thing that it isn't exactly required for accessing device storage, unlike the infamous iTunes.
    Posted via CB10
    At least iTunes sync works when you use it.
    OS7's Desktop Software always worked and it had "Selective Sync".
    With OS10 along with reliably syncing, that was removed from the sync preferences.
    Apparently BlackBerry expects us to adapt to a phone with less and less capabilities with each update.
    I've gotten so used to trying to get Link to work that having to experiment with it on a daily basis became normal to me.
    I'm starting to view BlackBerry's as more of the toy and an iPhone as more of a tool now.
    04-17-15 08:35 PM
    I've never had a problem with Link. I backup my phone, download photos, videos, music and story maker files without a problem. I've also used it to upload files to my phone.

I have a Windows 7 laptop and my business partner has a Windows XP desktop . Never had a problem with eight.

Also it was okay with 10.2.x and now with 10.3.x

Posted via CB10
    You're just trying to make everyone else, jealous.
    04-17-15 08:41 PM
    I don't use anymore. It's the worst piece of crap software ever written.

...eleven BlackBerrys and counting....
    Velocitymj likes this.
    04-17-15 08:42 PM
    To answer the OP's Thread Title, my opinion is that "it is built by idiots"!
    playfoot and Velocitymj like this.
    04-17-15 09:15 PM
    I've apparently synced by BlackBerry to my mac book Link says I can't access it until I have iphoto but apple have got rid of iphoto don't really know what to do

Posted via my Z30NATOR
    05-23-15 11:12 AM
95 ... 234